Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Magic The Gathering: Arena] The CCG that started it all, now F2P. New set incoming

1818284868792

Posts

  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I tried my first game of ranked and the very first guy is running persistent petitioners. Great well, I get to play one of these decks. I'm running red blue drakes. Guy gets 4 petitioners on the board quickly and starts dumping my deck into my graveyard.

    My deck is mostly spells. Spells in my graveyard buff my creatures. I realized he's doing exactly what I want to do.

    By turn 6 I had a 5/5 and a 9/4 on board and even more damage in hand.

    The motion is denied.

    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    GoodKingJayIII
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    I tried my first game of ranked and the very first guy is running persistent petitioners. Great well, I get to play one of these decks. I'm running red blue drakes. Guy gets 4 petitioners on the board quickly and starts dumping my deck into my graveyard.

    My deck is mostly spells. Spells in my graveyard buff my creatures. I realized he's doing exactly what I want to do.

    By turn 6 I had a 5/5 and a 9/4 on board and even more damage in hand.

    The motion is denied.

    they were just doing change.org

    21stCentury
  • GriswoldGriswold (a superset of all possible mathematics) (his body disintegrated)Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    you, a fool: RNA draft is a complex format with elaborate synergies
    me, an intellectual: fliers good
    YMfEvSv.png
    went 7-1 with a grindy loss to a player who cast two Prying Eyes and a Sphinx's Insight and drew 36 of their cards to beat me, one extremely tight game where I popped an Inheritance and Slimebinded an 8/8 Zegana to survive at four, then cracked back with Thrull for an exact kill, and six smooth wins.

    Every card in the deck is pretty great. I wouldn't normally run two Faerie Duelists but with High Alert and 2xWindstorm Drake they did work. High Alert only really went off in one game and I never got to hit with a 5/5 Knight-Arbiter, but it was good enough. One opponent forgot the untap ability twice in the same game.

    You're a braver deckbuilder than I am! The nonland cards in this deck look great, and then I look at the manabase and see seven blue sources (including a Locket) and I'm amazed that you ever got to cast your spells.

    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    FFBE: 449,418,519 (Sleuth)
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
  • GriswoldGriswold (a superset of all possible mathematics) (his body disintegrated)Registered User regular
    On the Constructed front, I've opted to stick with R/W convoke for now. Current decklist:

    2 Legion's Landing
    4 Hunted Witness
    3 Shock

    4 Goblin Instigator
    3 Boros Challenger
    4 Lightning Strike
    2 Lava Coil

    4 History of Benalia
    1 Tajic, Blade of the Legion
    1 Legion Warboss

    4 Heroic Reinforcements
    2 Conclave Tribunal

    4 Venerated Loxodon

    2 Sacred Foundry
    2 Clifftop Retreat
    1 Stone Quarry
    9 Plains
    8 Mountain

    (relevant changes since I started playing again: -2 Skymarcher Aspirant, -2 Leonin Vanguard, -2 Viashino Pyromancer, -1 Sworn Companions, +4 Hunted Witness, +2 Boros Challenger, +1 History of Benalia)

    The deck is a lot more resilient to Chainwhirler and Gates Ablaze than it used to be. The Boros Challengers have performed admirably too, now that all our 1-drops have 1 power - they block well on turn 2 vs. monored and can usually get an attack in safely on turn 3. The Tajic should be something else (probably a second Legion Warboss), but I'm not yet willing to spend a rare WC on a marginal upgrade for one slot.

    What I'm most happy with in this deck is the removal suite - you have outs to almost any creature, Lava Coil in particular solves a lot of your Big Flier problems, and against big creatures your "dead" burn spells can always go face.

    I'm gradually fleshing out the dual lands while keeping a few rare WCs around in case I want to brew something new. I can't wait to get that lone Stone Quarry out of there.

    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    FFBE: 449,418,519 (Sleuth)
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    I made a mono blue aggro deck yesterday.

    And, like...

    Gosh it feels good. I love blue so much.

    CauldNeadenLucedes
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    ....azorius....aggro?

    It's pretty much White Weenie+Deputy of Detention

    Also includes some negate, spell pierce, and an extra island in the sideboard. (Plus 4 glacial fortress and 4 hallowed fountain mainboard to make the deputies castable)

    4 Benalish Marshal (DAR) 6
    4 Dauntless Bodyguard (DAR) 14
    4 Deputy of Detention (RNA) 165
    1 Healer's Hawk (GRN) 14
    4 Hunted Witness (GRN) 15
    4 Snubhorn Sentry (RIX) 23
    4 Tithe Taker (RNA) 27
    4 Venerated Loxodon (GRN) 30
    1 Unbreakable Formation (RNA) 29
    1 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
    4 History of Benalia (DAR) 21
    4 Legion's Landing (XLN) 22
    4 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
    4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
    13 Plains (GRN) 260

    3 Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants (M19) 3
    3 Baffling End (RIX) 1
    1 Island (GRN) 261
    3 Negate (RIX) 44
    2 Spell Pierce (XLN) 81
    3 Tocatli Honor Guard (XLN) 42

    Generally something like that.

    Against sultai, I imagine you put in the baffling ends and the tocatli, but what else? And what comes out?

    Also you can call it "Wet Weenie" to make people uncomfortable :surprised:

    I've been playing this Wet Weenie and loving it. Absolutely soaking the competition.the best part is getting early tithe takers so they can't essence scatter/ counter counter my creatures, or spell pierce my Histories.

    There's juuuuust enough recovery/protection from wrath, too. Holding three to give my dudes indestructible vs a Kaya's Wrath is Sopping Wet Weenie.

    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    SniperGuy
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    ....azorius....aggro?

    It's pretty much White Weenie+Deputy of Detention

    Also includes some negate, spell pierce, and an extra island in the sideboard. (Plus 4 glacial fortress and 4 hallowed fountain mainboard to make the deputies castable)

    4 Benalish Marshal (DAR) 6
    4 Dauntless Bodyguard (DAR) 14
    4 Deputy of Detention (RNA) 165
    1 Healer's Hawk (GRN) 14
    4 Hunted Witness (GRN) 15
    4 Snubhorn Sentry (RIX) 23
    4 Tithe Taker (RNA) 27
    4 Venerated Loxodon (GRN) 30
    1 Unbreakable Formation (RNA) 29
    1 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
    4 History of Benalia (DAR) 21
    4 Legion's Landing (XLN) 22
    4 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
    4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
    13 Plains (GRN) 260

    3 Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants (M19) 3
    3 Baffling End (RIX) 1
    1 Island (GRN) 261
    3 Negate (RIX) 44
    2 Spell Pierce (XLN) 81
    3 Tocatli Honor Guard (XLN) 42

    Generally something like that.

    Against sultai, I imagine you put in the baffling ends and the tocatli, but what else? And what comes out?

    Also you can call it "Wet Weenie" to make people uncomfortable :surprised:

    I've been playing this Wet Weenie and loving it. Absolutely soaking the competition.the best part is getting early tithe takers so they can't essence scatter/ counter counter my creatures, or spell pierce my Histories.

    There's juuuuust enough recovery/protection from wrath, too. Holding three to give my dudes indestructible vs a Kaya's Wrath is Sopping Wet Weenie.

    I've been running a slightly different version after looking at various other decks online. 1 Tithe Taker, no hawk, 4 conclave tribunal, 2 unbreakable formation instead of just one. No deputy of detention, but 4 skymarchers. The only blue is for the negates, spell pierce, and a disdainful stroke in the sideboard. I'm not sold on spell pierce yet, I like it but it seems tricky to actually get to use. The negates are fantastic though. No kaya's wrath for you! Unbreakable formation to give everyone counters and to break stalemates, or to avoid sweepers. It has been working quite well, I'm up to platinum 2 just doing best of threes. Hoping I can make it to diamond pretty soon, then the long grind to mythic begins again.

    Twitch Streaming T/W/TH and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
    Elbasunu
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    I made a mono blue aggro deck yesterday.

    And, like...

    Gosh it feels good. I love blue so much.

    I've toyed with this in standard when I play and I really like it. I keep toying with the counters, etc. though. What's your list?

  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Griswold wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    you, a fool: RNA draft is a complex format with elaborate synergies
    me, an intellectual: fliers good
    YMfEvSv.png
    went 7-1 with a grindy loss to a player who cast two Prying Eyes and a Sphinx's Insight and drew 36 of their cards to beat me, one extremely tight game where I popped an Inheritance and Slimebinded an 8/8 Zegana to survive at four, then cracked back with Thrull for an exact kill, and six smooth wins.

    Every card in the deck is pretty great. I wouldn't normally run two Faerie Duelists but with High Alert and 2xWindstorm Drake they did work. High Alert only really went off in one game and I never got to hit with a 5/5 Knight-Arbiter, but it was good enough. One opponent forgot the untap ability twice in the same game.

    You're a braver deckbuilder than I am! The nonland cards in this deck look great, and then I look at the manabase and see seven blue sources (including a Locket) and I'm amazed that you ever got to cast your spells.

    Oh yeah I definitely ran lucky. I was usually able to plug up the board with a couple two-drops and early removal long enough to find my third color, but there were at least two games where I went "if I don't draw a swamp/island this turn I probably lose" and then I did.

  • navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I need to learn to mulligan more successfully. Too many times I keep a hand, "this hand is great once I draw a forest!" And then draw green spells or mountains instead.

  • RendRend Registered User regular
    Cauld wrote: »
    Rend wrote: »
    I made a mono blue aggro deck yesterday.

    And, like...

    Gosh it feels good. I love blue so much.

    I've toyed with this in standard when I play and I really like it. I keep toying with the counters, etc. though. What's your list?

    I netdecked this one: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=21077&d=340096&f=ST
    But the list is as such
    19x Island
    4x Merfolk Trickster
    3x Mist-Cloaked Herals
    4x Pteramander
    4x Siren Stormtamer
    4x Tempest Djinn

    2x Chart a Course
    2x Dive Down
    3x Essence Capture
    4x Opt
    1x Sleep
    2x Spell Pierce
    4x Wizard's Retort

    4x Curious Obsession

    It feels awesome to play. Lots of early plays, basically 3 mana casts anything in the deck and really you only need 2, and it's tricksy as well.

    Cauld
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Bismuth OS Fully Operational 2019-07-12 - KeystoneRegistered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    I need to learn to mulligan more successfully. Too many times I keep a hand, "this hand is great once I draw a forest!" And then draw green spells or mountains instead.

    Yeah, but remember that mulliganed hands have no guarantees of land. more often than not, when i mulligan i get a much worse hand and have to mulligan to 5.

  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 8
    navgoose wrote: »
    I need to learn to mulligan more successfully. Too many times I keep a hand, "this hand is great once I draw a forest!" And then draw green spells or mountains instead.

    Instead of thinking "this hand is great once I draw a forest!" think "do I lose this game instantly if I don't draw a forest?" and decide around that. The scry makes that first mulligan a lot less painful and it's usually not until I get down to five cards that I go "this hand is playable if the top of my deck is exactly <x>" and roll the dice, because winning on a mull to 4 is... not likely.

    Easily the worst thing that happens to me when I go on tilt is I start making really bad keeps.

    admanb on
    21stCenturyGriswoldElbasununavgoose
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    Blue green ramp is so much fun and that turn 4 carnage tyrant is real

  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    In general if you can't play any of the cards in your hand, you probably want to mulligan. Drafting is a bit more forgiving with that since everyone's deck is jankier, and if you're on the draw you can take slightly worse hands due to the card draw. The MTGA algorithm drawing two hands and giving you the more balanced one might be helping too, but mulliganing is definitely a tricky skill.

    Twitch Streaming T/W/TH and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
    navgoose
  • GriswoldGriswold (a superset of all possible mathematics) (his body disintegrated)Registered User regular
    edited February 8
    admanb wrote: »
    Easily the worst thing that happens to me when I go on tilt is I start making really bad keeps.

    +1 for this

    Way too many people view mulliganing to 6 as a death sentence, especially in draft. But once you start thinking about your bad 7-card hands as virtual mulligans -- due to missing a color, having a ton of uncastable late-drops, or having situational cards that are unlikely to be of use -- it's a lot easier to see how going to 6 cards + a scry is likely to substantially improve your winrate. It only takes one solid 2-for-1 to get you back to card parity on a mulligan, and your opponents stumble on development with some frequency as well.

    Griswold on
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    FFBE: 449,418,519 (Sleuth)
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Lucedes
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    Oof, just had the most painstaking Bo3 draft match. You know who loves Azorius Skyguard mirror matches? Nobody!

    Game 1, Skyguard standoff with both of us durdling behind 0- and 1-power stalled armies, I lose because I cast Sphinx's Insight at some point and opponent didn't.

    Game 2, I nail their Skyguard with a Deputy of Detention and sit back behind another durdly army (including my own Skyguard) until my two Azorius Knight-Arbiters get the kill.

    Game 3, opponent is off to a faster start with a big Skitter Eel and a Humongulous, and finds the High Alert that they clearly built their deck around (P.S. the High Alert ruins like half the cards in my deck - Slimebinds, Skyguard, Sky Tether, Faerie Duelist). I smack them with the Gate Colossus I boarded in, they Sky Tether it and one of my flying blockers. I was holding back my Deputy of Detention to remove either their High Alert or any number of the four Chillbringers I saw in game 1, but decide killing two Sky Tethers is worth it so my Colossus can attack again. We're both one attack away from death in a very weird race. They attack with the Eel and Chillbringer, I have to chump. They've left back the Skyguard and they can untap either attacker with High Alert, all of them can block the Colossus. Then they tap out to play Watchful Giant, who can also block the Colossus.

    Ya done fucked up now, you can't activate High Alert! My formerly-useless Sky Tether goes on their Skyguard, then main-phase Arrester's Zeal on the Colossus, giant-face-punch.

    admanbArmoroc
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    NumotTheNummy, who is currently Mythic #5 in draft, just took gates with his 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 8th picks from the first pack. Apparently I have no idea how to draft this format.

    Neaden
  • milskimilski Their Will comes, at last, to Earth, to the Neath, as a storm crosses the sea. Registered User regular
    The "pick all gates early and force goodstuff packs 2-3" works to an extent unless you get no gate payoffs. Gruul/Rakdos don't punish durdling as much as Boros did

    High, cold, eternal, immobile, minuscule. You endure; you burn.
    KalTorak
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited February 8
    I've been packing Gates as my default pick during the first 8 rounds, with a Gate Payoff card (the Angel, Colossus, Sheep, or Ablaze) prioritized, maybe with a good removal card like Mortify. It's becoming more like GREED for me instead of BREAD (Gate Payoff or Gate > Removal > Evasion > Everything Else > Duds). You don't need an accelerator card when you are already throwing down a big threat on turn 4 or 5 (Sheep or Colossus), and most of their removal will be to pick off your dumb flyers in the early rounds.

    It may not be as powerful as traditional drafting at times, but it also presents a problem to most opponents beyond the scope of traditional drafting, which gets you some surprise wins.

    Usually I'm even able to pare down the mana base to 3 colors, and it seems to work fine with all the Gates in there.

    EDIT: Conversely, when I see two gates with completely different mana flop down on my opponent's side, I save an answer for either a Ram or a Colossus. Or I wait up on laying down my creatures until the Gates Ablaze hits.

    Hahnsoo1 on
    Di87pOF.jpg
    PSN: Hahnsoo | MHGU: Hahnsoo, Switch FC: SW-0085-2679-5212
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    Griswold wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    Easily the worst thing that happens to me when I go on tilt is I start making really bad keeps.

    +1 for this

    Way too many people view mulliganing to 6 as a death sentence, especially in draft. But once you start thinking about your bad 7-card hands as virtual mulligans -- due to missing a color, having a ton of uncastable late-drops, or having situational cards that are unlikely to be of use -- it's a lot easier to see how going to 6 cards + a scry is likely to substantially improve your winrate. It only takes one solid 2-for-1 to get you back to card parity on a mulligan, and your opponents stumble on development with some frequency as well.

    Mulling to 5 feels like a death sentence every time I do it

    Twitch Streaming T/W/TH and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
    Griswold
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    on the flip side, winning from a mull to five feels amazing.

    because it rarely happens

  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    This was a fun 7-2 draft deck. Most of the games were me hiding behind a shielded wall of thoughts.
    x0if9pkoxfo8.jpg I did switch out Savant for Fairy Duelist, but no screenshot of that.

    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    Griswold
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    Cauld wrote: »
    Rend wrote: »
    I made a mono blue aggro deck yesterday.

    And, like...

    Gosh it feels good. I love blue so much.

    I've toyed with this in standard when I play and I really like it. I keep toying with the counters, etc. though. What's your list?

    I netdecked this one: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=21077&d=340096&f=ST
    But the list is as such
    19x Island
    4x Merfolk Trickster
    3x Mist-Cloaked Herals
    4x Pteramander
    4x Siren Stormtamer
    4x Tempest Djinn

    2x Chart a Course
    2x Dive Down
    3x Essence Capture
    4x Opt
    1x Sleep
    2x Spell Pierce
    4x Wizard's Retort

    4x Curious Obsession

    It feels awesome to play. Lots of early plays, basically 3 mana casts anything in the deck and really you only need 2, and it's tricksy as well.

    I'm running the same list right now with -1 Sleep -2 Essence Capture +1 Spell Pierce +2 Chart a Course.

    One bit of spicy tech I saw was adding Faery Duelists in the sideboard and bringing them in against WW and mono-red. They can eat a 2/1 that's attacking you and then block another later. I'm not 100% sure it's worth it over just running surge mare or diamond mare but it's a card that I wouldn't have expected to see constructed play.

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    Pauper is back for the first time in the new format - anyone have any fun new decks for it? My surveil deck did pretty well last time, but obv it didn't get many new toys.

  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Normal Brain: 2 color decks splash a third color for bombs
    Galaxy Brain: Play all the colors so you can play the best stuff

    dwkagngs3y5p.jpg

    7-2. This worked. Somehow? Rhythm of the Wild did SO much work

    I'm actually doing this at an office Sealed tournament and so far it's actually working. Nothing like casting electrodominance to the face and plopping down a free Rakdos the Showstopper followed next turn by a Hydroid Krasis.

    SniperGuy
  • milskimilski Their Will comes, at last, to Earth, to the Neath, as a storm crosses the sea. Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Pauper is back for the first time in the new format - anyone have any fun new decks for it? My surveil deck did pretty well last time, but obv it didn't get many new toys.

    Pauper petitioners is really difficult to deal with atm. They block well and present a super fast clock.

    High, cold, eternal, immobile, minuscule. You endure; you burn.
    Styrofoam Sammich
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Not ranked but this was a bo3 5-1, which means I think I've now won a full draft playing every guild except Gruul?

    l1jov2J.png

  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited February 9
    milski wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Pauper is back for the first time in the new format - anyone have any fun new decks for it? My surveil deck did pretty well last time, but obv it didn't get many new toys.

    Pauper petitioners is really difficult to deal with atm. They block well and present a super fast clock.

    Well if it becomes too powerful you could always counter it with a relentless rats deck with a couple thousand cards.
    Edit: After doing a lot of clicking I just found out there is a 250 card maximum. Disapointing.

    Neaden on
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Pauper is back for the first time in the new format - anyone have any fun new decks for it? My surveil deck did pretty well last time, but obv it didn't get many new toys.

    Pauper petitioners is really difficult to deal with atm. They block well and present a super fast clock.

    Yeah it seems to be either petitioner or rat. not a super fun way to burn through gold.

    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    edited February 9
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Oof, just had the most painstaking Bo3 draft match. You know who loves Azorius Skyguard mirror matches? Nobody!

    ...and it happened again, less successfully.

    why do opponents playing slow decks insist on also playing as slow as shit

    also are you automatically assigned mirror matches or something, I dumped the Azorius deck, made a rakdos one, immediately ran into an identical deck.

    KalTorak on
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Oof, just had the most painstaking Bo3 draft match. You know who loves Azorius Skyguard mirror matches? Nobody!

    ...and it happened again, less successfully.

    why do opponents playing slow decks insist on also playing as slow as shit

    also are you automatically assigned mirror matches or something, I dumped the Azorius deck, made a rakdos one, immediately ran into an identical deck.

    Definitely not. You’re just unlucky. :P

  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Paupers Petitioners went 5-0 and every deck I faced was also paupers except monored and some weird dimir deck

  • BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    Finally got to 5-0 in pauper with mono red, beating both petitioners and rats.

    18 Mountain (RIX) 195
    4 Fanatical Firebrand (RIX) 101
    4 Ghitu Lavarunner (DAR) 127
    3 Shivan Fire (DAR) 142
    4 Shock (M19) 156
    4 Spear Spewer (RNA) 117
    4 Ornery Goblin (GRN) 112
    4 Sure Strike (GRN) 118
    4 Viashino Pyromancer (M19) 166
    4 Skewer the Critics (RNA) 115
    3 Frilled Deathspitter (RIX) 104
    4 Wojek Bodyguard (GRN) 120

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 9
    1-3 in draft with no-removal rakdos. (Had three treasons and the treason creature though?)
    Mana screwed twice, first with no third land, second no black land after 6-7 red had dropped.
    Got the matching pain land though?

    ...
    Pretty sure the other loss was mulliganing to 4 too.

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    NumotTheNummy, who is currently Mythic #5 in draft, just took gates with his 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 8th picks from the first pack. Apparently I have no idea how to draft this format.

    Just some context, this is not his default strategy carrying him to mythic or anything. I watch him probably more than any other streamer, and think he's probably one of the better players, getting mythic in draft and constructed the first season. He values gates and payoffs highly, but drafts plenty of "normal" decks, too. I think what's likely is the packs just didnt have high power cards in them, so taking gates to hedge is good anyway, or one of his first two picks was already a ram or colossus.

    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Griswold wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    Easily the worst thing that happens to me when I go on tilt is I start making really bad keeps.

    +1 for this

    Way too many people view mulliganing to 6 as a death sentence, especially in draft. But once you start thinking about your bad 7-card hands as virtual mulligans -- due to missing a color, having a ton of uncastable late-drops, or having situational cards that are unlikely to be of use -- it's a lot easier to see how going to 6 cards + a scry is likely to substantially improve your winrate. It only takes one solid 2-for-1 to get you back to card parity on a mulligan, and your opponents stumble on development with some frequency as well.

    Mulling to 5 feels like a death sentence every time I do it

    Yeah mulligan to 5 feels bad, especially because at that point I have a 2 land hand which is maybe what I threw away in the original 7 card hand.

    I almost feel like you should get one free mulligan or one partial mulligan. I can't imagine that would break the game but it would make your opening a little more consistent which I think is the biggest problem with mana screw.

    ChaosHat.com - Twitter - Twitch Stream - Steam: ChaosHat - 3DS: 5215-0009-1949
    SC2: ChaosHat.444 ggtracker
  • cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Griswold wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    Easily the worst thing that happens to me when I go on tilt is I start making really bad keeps.

    +1 for this

    Way too many people view mulliganing to 6 as a death sentence, especially in draft. But once you start thinking about your bad 7-card hands as virtual mulligans -- due to missing a color, having a ton of uncastable late-drops, or having situational cards that are unlikely to be of use -- it's a lot easier to see how going to 6 cards + a scry is likely to substantially improve your winrate. It only takes one solid 2-for-1 to get you back to card parity on a mulligan, and your opponents stumble on development with some frequency as well.

    Mulling to 5 feels like a death sentence every time I do it

    Yeah mulligan to 5 feels bad, especially because at that point I have a 2 land hand which is maybe what I threw away in the original 7 card hand.

    I almost feel like you should get one free mulligan or one partial mulligan. I can't imagine that would break the game but it would make your opening a little more consistent which I think is the biggest problem with mana screw.

    One idea that I've seen floated is actually really good. Since the Vancuever mulligan was introduced, there's actually a way to do a "partial" mulligan that I think would help with the nightmare mulligan scenarios without giving anything away or making people build worse manabases or anything like that.

    7 -> 6 w/scry -> 6 w/o scry -> 5 w/scry -> 5 w/o scry -> etc.

    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • GriswoldGriswold (a superset of all possible mathematics) (his body disintegrated)Registered User regular
    cncaudata wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Griswold wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    Easily the worst thing that happens to me when I go on tilt is I start making really bad keeps.

    +1 for this

    Way too many people view mulliganing to 6 as a death sentence, especially in draft. But once you start thinking about your bad 7-card hands as virtual mulligans -- due to missing a color, having a ton of uncastable late-drops, or having situational cards that are unlikely to be of use -- it's a lot easier to see how going to 6 cards + a scry is likely to substantially improve your winrate. It only takes one solid 2-for-1 to get you back to card parity on a mulligan, and your opponents stumble on development with some frequency as well.

    Mulling to 5 feels like a death sentence every time I do it

    Yeah mulligan to 5 feels bad, especially because at that point I have a 2 land hand which is maybe what I threw away in the original 7 card hand.

    I almost feel like you should get one free mulligan or one partial mulligan. I can't imagine that would break the game but it would make your opening a little more consistent which I think is the biggest problem with mana screw.

    One idea that I've seen floated is actually really good. Since the Vancuever mulligan was introduced, there's actually a way to do a "partial" mulligan that I think would help with the nightmare mulligan scenarios without giving anything away or making people build worse manabases or anything like that.

    7 -> 6 w/scry -> 6 w/o scry -> 5 w/scry -> 5 w/o scry -> etc.

    I was having this discussion with @Zombie Hero yesterday. I don't think you can move to a system like this without splitting the mulligan rules for Limited and Constructed, as the above suggestion just gives combo decks (especially in older formats) way too many looks to find a specific combination of cards in their opening hand.

    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    FFBE: 449,418,519 (Sleuth)
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    21stCenturyTheBlackWind
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Registered User regular
    cncaudata wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Griswold wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    Easily the worst thing that happens to me when I go on tilt is I start making really bad keeps.

    +1 for this

    Way too many people view mulliganing to 6 as a death sentence, especially in draft. But once you start thinking about your bad 7-card hands as virtual mulligans -- due to missing a color, having a ton of uncastable late-drops, or having situational cards that are unlikely to be of use -- it's a lot easier to see how going to 6 cards + a scry is likely to substantially improve your winrate. It only takes one solid 2-for-1 to get you back to card parity on a mulligan, and your opponents stumble on development with some frequency as well.

    Mulling to 5 feels like a death sentence every time I do it

    Yeah mulligan to 5 feels bad, especially because at that point I have a 2 land hand which is maybe what I threw away in the original 7 card hand.

    I almost feel like you should get one free mulligan or one partial mulligan. I can't imagine that would break the game but it would make your opening a little more consistent which I think is the biggest problem with mana screw.

    One idea that I've seen floated is actually really good. Since the Vancuever mulligan was introduced, there's actually a way to do a "partial" mulligan that I think would help with the nightmare mulligan scenarios without giving anything away or making people build worse manabases or anything like that.

    7 -> 6 w/scry -> 6 w/o scry -> 5 w/scry -> 5 w/o scry -> etc.

    I don't see why "Draw 7 cards. You may set aside any number of cards and draw back up to 7, then shuffle the set aside cards into your library" wouldn't work awesome.

    Or maybe like "You may set aside any two cards face down, search your library for a basic land card, reveal it, add it to your hand, and then shuffle the set aside cards into your library." I could see trading 2 lands 5 spells into 3 lands 3 spells pretty regularly. Or you could fix mana a little by trading in two superfluous land (or one land + spell, whatever) for the one you need.

    ChaosHat.com - Twitter - Twitch Stream - Steam: ChaosHat - 3DS: 5215-0009-1949
    SC2: ChaosHat.444 ggtracker
Sign In or Register to comment.