As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avenatti arrested for domestic violence, Surefire Intelligence claims credit

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Even though I don't trust this source (celebrity gossip is about getting word out ASAP vs verifying stuff as a proper journalist outlet), this has dragged on long enough that I'm starting to doubt Avenatti being innocent of anything.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Even though I don't trust this source (celebrity gossip is about getting word out ASAP vs verifying stuff as a proper journalist outlet), this has dragged on long enough that I'm starting to doubt Avenatti being innocent of anything.

That's also kind of wrong of you to think? Like the length of time for something to be bullshit doesn't give it validity? I mean in my state INS flat out made shit up about a person and it took 6 months for him to get free.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

As designed

• Options
    I mean has Avenatti been charged yet? I know he was arrested, but I don't recall the DA charging him being a story yet?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    For those concerned about the source, here's the Washington Post version.
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean has Avenatti been charged yet? I know he was arrested, but I don't recall the DA charging him being a story yet?

No charges have been filed yet. I guarantee it will be a story if and when it happens.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "Avenatti is probably being targeted by a smear campaign."
    "That's wrong of you to think."

A week later:

"I'm starting to doubt things."

Mama Mia, thread.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    The idea that security footage exists at all is not good for Avenatti

If it's proof he did it, yeah, but why would its existence be bad by default?

It proves:

- he knows his accuser
    - he may be cheating on his wife

Not good

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    "Avenatti is probably being targeted by a smear campaign."

A week later:

"I'm starting to doubt things."

Mama Mia, thread.

That's not inconsistent if you hold that any opinion formed at this point can't be well-informed, on account of us not knowing much of anything.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

It proves:

- he knows his accuser

Not good

I thought he was separated from current wife?

Not sure tho

• Options

Even if the DA doesn't charge him he still has to go through the restraining order process

Lack of criminal charges isn't a defense in the RO case

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

It proves:

- he knows his accuser

Not good

I thought he was separated from current wife?

Not sure tho

Yeah we’re not getting great clarity on any of this from anywhere

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    What's going to annoy me the most is the absolute hypocrisy that's going to come from the right about this.

Him grabbing her arm (for example) should earn him the death penatly, but one of their own being a serial rapist/abuser is a-okay.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    This is not chat.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Declining to press charges doesn't mean he didn't do anything, but it does mean there isn't a strong case to prosecute him on the felony charges right?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Declining to press charges doesn't mean he didn't do anything, but it does mean there isn't a strong case to prosecute him on the felony charges right?

Federal charges; they're considering misdemeanor now

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular

That's my understanding, yes. Although the case being referred to city prosecutors for possible misdemeanor charges does lend credence to the idea that something occurred. But that could be something as minor as being charged for assault just because you touched someone else.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Assault is a credible verbal threat of violence.
    Battery is the touching.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It means he very likely did not do what he was accused of, but that a crime MAY have occurred. I don’t think misdemeanor charges will end up being filed either.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    It means he very likely did not do what he was accused of, but that a crime MAY have occurred. I don’t think misdemeanor charges will end up being filed either.

If they don't end up being filed I would like to know what happened with that arrest.

And I don't think it was federal charges DV isn't a federal crime? It was felony charges right? Which is a different ball of wax.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »

This is wrong (unless your phone autocorrected from felony)

The felony charge cited by the police when they arrested him requires evidence of a physical injury

My speculation would be the county DA didn't think they could prove injury, thus no felony. So they sent the case to the city level where misdemeanors are handled.

It does not mean "it's very likely he didn't do it"

Even if the city declines to charge that also won't mean "it's very likely he didn't do it"

• Options
    Battery is the touching.

This varies widely from state to statewhen you are in the criminal arena so it's best to look up and use California definitions if you want to talk about different behaviors and what crimes could apply.

• Options
    Paladin wrote: »

This is wrong (unless your phone autocorrected from felony)

The felony charge cited by the police when they arrested him requires evidence of a physical injury

My speculation would be the county DA didn't think they could prove injury, thus no felony. So they sent the case to the city level where misdemeanors are handled.

It does not mean "it's very likely he didn't do it"

Even if the city declines to charge that also won't mean "it's very likely he didn't do it"

But it also could mean he didn't do anything. Like its not a guarantee he did anything because he was arrested. Innocent people do get arrested too. We don't have to like Avenatti to entertain he was correct and he was innocent of the charges.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Sure. But "the DA didn't charge him thus it's very likely he didn't do it" is not a good line of thinking for any case.

All it means is that they don't believe they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt he committed a crime. There are a wide range of reasons why they might think that.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I think it’s very difficult to ascertain anything right now and it’s especially problematic considering we should generally believe women asserting harassment/assault. I don’t know how to feel about this at all, even if it does turn out to be bullshit (which it very well may not). Should I have been skeptical all along? Should I not have been? Is it contextually okay to be skeptical of an alleged victim in a situation such as this one where there is a vested interest in smearing the accused by various political parties? I don’t know.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Battery is the touching.

This varies widely from state to statewhen you are in the criminal arena so it's best to look up and use California definitions if you want to talk about different behaviors and what crimes could apply.

I consider myself corrected.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I hate that the fact that the right has begun weaponizing the #MeToo movement makes us skeptical of allegations, because, whether the specific allegation proves true or not, the existence of political motivations serves to make future reports like this harder to believe, and victims don't need that kind of resistance on what is aready an uphill battle.

Either allegations are disbelieved again or they can use an effective dirty trick to discredit opponents. The right wins either way.

Entire thing makes me feel gross.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Drez wrote: »
    I think it’s very difficult to ascertain anything right now and it’s especially problematic considering we should generally believe women asserting harassment/assault. I don’t know how to feel about this at all, even if it does turn out to be bullshit (which it very well may not). Should I have been skeptical all along? Should I not have been? Is it contextually okay to be skeptical of an alleged victim in a situation such as this one where there is a vested interest in smearing the accused by various political parties? I don’t know.

I would say give any woman claiming sexual harrassment or assault the benefit of the doubt.

I shouldn't have to say that they are allowed due process.

The problem with crucifying people on social media about this stuff before we have solid evidence corroborating it is, just by statistical probability, someone on your "side" is going to eventually be brought down.

Corroborating domestic stuff like this is far more difficult than with people who get caught with their hand in the cookie jar (Anthony Wiener, for example).

I'd say it's healthy to keep up a bit of skepticism in any case that involves high-profile people at especially coincidental time periods, but never shut out someone who may be a victim. If they lied, it'll come to the light. If they didn't, then the perpetrator needs justice.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Allegation -> investigation -> trial if there's a case. That's the way things should work, backed by the power of a functional and fair judicial system

Not knowing what to think is an acceptable and mature social response to a headliner which never has all the facts and is wracked with hidden agendas. We have suffered pretty much every demographic and circumstantial permutation of assault allegations in high profile, which has taught us a valuable lesson about making assumptions.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Yeah I think not crucifying someone with an allegation is fair enough in either direction. The point of a court system is to decide innocence or guilt, doing it on social media is never good in either direction.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I hate that the fact that the right has begun weaponizing the #MeToo movement makes us skeptical of allegations, because, whether the specific allegation proves true or not, the existence of political motivations serves to make future reports like this harder to believe, and victims don't need that kind of resistance on what is aready an uphill battle.

Either allegations are disbelieved again or they can use an effective dirty trick to discredit opponents. The right wins either way.

Not really, it just requires more critical thinking than just setting up a binary ruleset.

In this case, we don’t even have a definitive victim. We have an arrest with no context or details, and an announcement that district prosecutors don’t feel confident charging a felony. Believing victims typically involves the victims making an accusation.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Not really, it just requires more critical thinking than just setting up a binary ruleset.

In this case, we don’t even have a definitive victim. We have an arrest with no context or details, and an announcement that district prosecutors don’t feel confident charging a felony. Believing victims typically involves the victims making an accusation.

We have enough of a victim that charges are being considered.

Just because her face wasn't paraded around the media doesn't mean she's fake.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular

Yeah, there’s absolutely a woman with a name, Mareli Miniutti, claiming to have been assaulted here.

Benefit of the doubt that maybe you missed that yesterday? Because otherwise you’re being bafflingly obtuse.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Knowing people who have been on trial for assault in California... it's really complicated.

Avenatti is an ass, has always been an ass, and never claimed to not be an ass. He seems hot headed and it's easy to imagine him having done a horrible thing.

There are so many things you could guess about based on what everyone would assume an Assault charge means, they're almost all certainly wrong. A friend of mine nearly got a felony assault for physically removing an ex-girlfriend from his property when she tried to come talk to his 5 year old daughter while on meth. It ended out a misdemeanor, which was then dropped but it was a hell of a process. I'll wait and see what actually happens in court or through filings before I try to sort out anything about this accusation.

Though learning about the sources of this train wreck and who is leaking or trying to stir up what kind of shit or take credit for it is fascinating.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Battery is the touching.

In California, the short version is that assault is attempting to use unlawful force against someone, and battery is succeeding.

If you throw a punch at a person, that's assault, whether or not you hit. If you do hit, now it's also battery.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    #MeToo IMO was more about making sure this stuff didn't get swept under the rug and that when people did get found guilty, the punishment would have been appropriate. It's perfectly fair to say before the movement and even now, there were a ton of people in positions of influence that weaseled their way out of facing consequences, so their victim never got to take it to court. Then in some cases those people when they couldn't weasel out of being convicted found ways to get unreasonable light sentences, as in they were putting in less time for a serious crime, than some poor minority kids got stuck with over some rather petty crimes.

Anyways, I think we're in a good spot if this stuff is at least being properly investigated, going to court when it looks like there is something and appropriate punishment is being handed out when their is a conviction, even if at times people question whether or not the accuser was being honest because at the end of the day, this stuff is actually being investigated for a change. There seems to an investigation being done in regards to this accusation against Avenatti, in context of #MeToo that's not nothing; especially, since some doubt whether there is something there or not. There is always going to be some elements that will exploit everything for their own gain and pushes by some to not pursue justice because they don't like the idea that their hero might turn out to be a scumbag.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Ug, I hate how no matter what happens, Trump will tout it as a win for him.

Avenatti did it? See, look! It’s them that are the real abusers! Stormy lies with abuser lawyer!

Avenatti didn’t do it? See look! Women falsely accuse men of sexual assault! Should have elected Roy Moore! Poor Kavenaugh was treated so unfairly! Stormy is a lying liar! Grab em by the pussy was locker room talk!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    To be fair, Trump touts objective losses as wins.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

Case in point: 90% of his business ventures from the past 4 decades.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

Case in point:

- 90% of his business ventures from the past 4 decades
    - The midterm losses
    - The popular vote
    - The inauguration crowd