As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] It's a weird time in Hardwaretown

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Build thread, got a little question fer yas. Before I get to the question and potential build purchase I'm looking at, a little backstory:

As I usually do whenever I upgrade my main work and gaming desktop, I tend to hold onto the parts. Over the years, I tend to put the old parts into a new case and rebuild the old system. I now have 2 spare computers cobbled together from spare parts. A whiles ago, I decided to turn one of those spare desktops into an Ark server. Back during vanilla, The Center, and Scorched Earth, everything was behaving fine. But Aberrant and Extinction have been having really weird things happening (seems some of the dino AI is glitching). I keep everything up to date and patched up as updates are posted, but these issues have been happening fairly regularly. Now, I'm kind of wondering if the weirdness may have been due to the system not being able to keep up. So, without further ado, here is the current system the Ark server is running on:

i7-2600k
    16gb DDR3-1600
    ASUS Z67 Sabertooth TUF motherboard
    Win10 Home installed on a Samsung 840 SSD
    Ark Dedicated Server installed on a Crucial MX100 SSD

Alternative system that I could put the dedicated server on:

i7-4770k
    16gb DDR3-1600
    Gigabyte UD4H Z87 motherboard

However, I was thinking of going balls out and picking up some new hardware specifically for server running purposes. Compared to the above builds, how would the following do in this situation?

Ryzen7 2700x
    16gb DDR4-3000
    MSI X470 Gaming Pro motherboard

Or should I go real nutty and be better off with a first-gen Threadripper 1900X?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    Go for a Taichi, it will serve you better then the MSI, with the nice VRMs, which will be useful down the line for the 12 core monster Ryzens in store. Get a DDR4-3200, but be sure it's on the QVL or on the known compatible list from the vendors.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Orca wrote: »
    I found the stock intel cooler plus silent 140mm case fan was quieter than an H60. Worse CPU cooling performance of course. When I replaced my GTX 970 with an AIO 1080TI, noise was worse, even after I replaced the stock fan that came with it with a high static pressure Noctua fan and reduced the RPMs, trading off 10 degrees C peak temperature for lower noise.

A 240 or 360mm setup would be worse; either those fans and turbulence go up front, or it requires having an opening on top (or you potentially have bubble noise show up by mounting it on the bottom). No good options there.

High static pressure fans are great because they are able to push a lot of air at low RPM's. I run six Corsair ML120's at 400-600 RPM and the only sound I hear is a light woosh of air going through my radiators. The fans are effectively silent and keep my CPU and GPU no higher than 45c under full load. An open loop is a serious investment but you get what you pay for in terms of cooling performance and silence for that level of performance. Closed loops can come close to that and replacing the often crap fans that come with them (and creating your own fan profiles) can make a big difference in making them quieter and perform better. The Alphacool semi-open loop I replaced ran 10-20 degrees warmer than my current setup which was still pretty good.

I'd be curious to see what one of Noctua's dual fan heatsinks could do, and they're also very very quiet for their level of performance. They are frickin' huge and heavy though. Even in a non-overclocked system I'd still probably put one of their smaller single fan heatsinks on over the stock one. It would run cooler and quieter and likely perform better than the cheap $50-70 120mm or 240mm AIO's.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Agreed. This is why I'm pushing air coolers for if you value silence over raw performance.

Back when I was running an AMD Black Edition 4-core-something-or-other, I had a monster CPU cooler on it with a 120mm fan. Thing was silent. The GPU fan was the dominant factor in that setup--fucking stock nVidia single fan screamer until I spent a bunch of money and replaced that garbage with a much quieter dual fan after-market cooler.

So far the promise of silence out of AIO coolers has been unfulfilled. They're quiet, but never quite as quiet as an air cooler.

YMMV. I sleep in the same room as my computer, so I want to not hear the damn thing when I leave it on overnight, and I'm quite willing to trade off both expense and heat for it.

• Options
    Jeep-Eep wrote: »
    Go for a Taichi, it will serve you better then the MSI, with the nice VRMs, which will be useful down the line for the 12 core monster Ryzens in store. Get a DDR4-3200, but be sure it's on the QVL or on the known compatible list from the vendors.

Bear in mind:

This is a backup computer that is going to be spending 80% of its time running Ark Dedicated Server or other dedicated servers that my friends and I are playing on. I'd really rather not spend upwards of $1000 on upgrading it ($500...$600 tops is what I'm comfortable spending on it).

Additionally, it doesn't really answer the question. For the purpose I outlined, would the Ryzen7 build be better than either of the i7s?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    One downside for air-cooling to the extent y'all are advocating is that a big old fin stack tower puts a serious hurt on LGA socket (pins on the motherboard) systems.

It will take years for that damage to manifest in practice. But by the end my x58 system with an old Prolimatech Megahalems cooler, definitely was done in by bent pins on the socket -- rendering all but two DIMM sockets unusable.

And now-a-days the pcb on CPUs is thinner. So be wary of hanging too much weight off your CPU if you want a lot of life outta your system.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Bear in mind:

This is a backup computer that is going to be spending 80% of its time running Ark Dedicated Server or other dedicated servers that my friends and I are playing on. I'd really rather not spend upwards of $1000 on upgrading it ($500...$600 tops is what I'm comfortable spending on it).

Additionally, it doesn't really answer the question. For the purpose I outlined, would the Ryzen7 build be better than either of the i7s?

From what I've read your best performance chip is probably an Intel. Apparently Xeons are the best bet.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    user wrote: »
    One downside for air-cooling to the extent y'all are advocating is that a big old fin stack tower puts a serious hurt on LGA socket (pins on the motherboard) systems.

It will take years for that damage to manifest in practice. But by the end my x58 system with an old Prolimatech Megahalems cooler, definitely was done in by bent pins on the socket -- rendering all but two DIMM sockets unusable.

And now-a-days the pcb on CPUs is thinner. So be wary of hanging too much weight off your CPU if you want a lot of life outta your system.

The forces at play here with even large coolers with the brackets is negligable. I've never heard of this.

Will there be fatigue if you leave it for 20 year's? Maybe but I doubt it manifests in any way.

It pales in comparison to running at 40-50c and constant power though (for clarity sake, the fact that you run the part for years and years is lightyears more damaging than some phantom physical stress).

Just... The surface area the force is spread over makes it sooooo minimal. Unless you're tossing your case around I call Bullshit.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    My bigger criticism of AIO coolers (or liquid in general) is that you don't get the added benefit of mildly cooling the VRMs/MOSFETs around the socket. Not a huge deal anymore, but I'd love to see some sort of solution that could help.

I guess you could get a pack of the small GPU heatsinks and put them across the VRMs/FETs, but that's the only solution I can think of without spending time on it.

• Options

Bear in mind:

From a price perspective, the Ryzen is better, as it comes with a good fan, is cheaper itself for anything comparible power and has better options for upgrades down the line.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options
    Aridhol wrote: »

The forces at play here with even large coolers with the brackets is negligable. I've never heard of this.

Will there be fatigue if you leave it for 20 year's? Maybe but I doubt it manifests in any way.

It pales in comparison to running at 40-50c and constant power though (for clarity sake, the fact that you run the part for years and years is lightyears more damaging than some phantom physical stress).

Just... The surface area the force is spread over makes it sooooo minimal. Unless you're tossing your case around I call Bullshit.

I mean specifically the pins on the LGA socket on the motherboard, they are a very soft and pliable gold -- you can bend them inadvertantly yourself. Most people orient their motherboards 90 degrees, on a vertical plane, that's atx standard and then a fin stack tower cooler can be up to two lbs hanging off it. Very few rigs have a flat horizontal orientation.

It definitely does happen, like I said that's what happened to my x58 Rampage III Extreme, and it took 7 years and a really heavy cooler. I had never unseated the cooler that whole time.

• Options
    Sorry, I didn't mean to say it didn't happen to you. I am just saying that this isn't a common failure and isn't something anyone should ever care about in choosing a cooler. I was actually curious about it after posting and it really seems like it's exceedingly rare to have damage from a weighty cooler that isn't due to moving the case around.

I just disagree that this should be any consideration whatsoever for someone building a system. If you are going air cooling buy the best cooler you can afford that fits in your case.

Water cooling is better for the coolness factor though. I'd probably choose an AIO if I was going for a new system these days.

• Options
    That's fair, and it's not strictly necessary to go for a huuge cooler for an aircooler anyway.

It may be very rare as you say, but my experience was enough to nudge me towards water cooling.

I just think per application its worth using common sense, like I built a PC for my father who never will really overclock nor does he have a need to beyond Ryzen's built-in XFR. So I foisted the Wraith Prism Cooler that came with my 2700X onto his 2600, more than enough TDP rating to do the job.

Bear in mind:

From a price perspective, the Ryzen is better, as it comes with a good fan, is cheaper itself for anything comparible power and has better options for upgrades down the line.

Ryzen also supports ECC memory which could be a benefit for a server. Only the blue team only Xeons offer that these days.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    The way "open loop" cooling is defined with respect to PCs makes no sense to me.

Its still a closed loop, its just a "custom" loop.

when I think open loop, I think like how a power plant can use water from e.g. a lake, use it for cooling, and then discharge it back to the lake.

Maybe this is a dumb nitpick :P

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    The way "open loop" cooling is defined with respect to PCs makes no sense to me.

when I think open loop, I think like how a power plant can use water from e.g. a lake, use it for cooling, and then discharge it back to the lake.

It is a nitpick, but I am with you. Though, I take it to mean it's open, as in, I can with more fittings, tubes, and blocks add-in more parts to be cooled by the same loop. As opposed to most AIOs, where you really can't and even if you could somehow those Asetek pumps would really struggle.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    That's fair, and it's not strictly necessary to go for a huuge cooler for an aircooler anyway.

It may be very rare as you say, but my experience was enough to nudge me towards water cooling.

I just think per application its worth using common sense, like I built a PC for my father who never will really overclock nor does he have a need to beyond Ryzen's built-in XFR. So I foisted the Wraith Prism Cooler that came with my 2700X onto his 2600, more than enough TDP rating to do the job.

Bear in mind:

Ryzen also supports ECC memory which could be a benefit for a server. Only the blue team only Xeons offer that these days.

I would like to point out to the person who is looking to run Ark Dedicated that the software benefits from faster core speeds as opposed to more cores.

So, Intel i7/Xeon chips are, performance-wise right now, the best option.

Ryzen is the best if they plan on using it a lot into the future, to the point where it'll get upgraded.

• Options

Bear in mind:

100% agree with you that the use case should determine what you get. No need to spend more money and put a monster cooler in if it's just a general use pc.

First question before someone goes shopping shouldn't be "what's on sale?" it should be "what do I want/need to do with it?"

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »

It is a nitpick, but I am with you. Though, I take it to mean it's open, as in, I can with more fittings, tubes, and blocks add-in more parts to be cooled by the same loop. As opposed to most AIOs, where you really can't and even if you could somehow those Asetek pumps would really struggle.

You could argue the reservoir in a custom config is a "lake" analog (and AIOs don't use a res outside of what's in the rad); but I agree that custom is considered "open" since you can modify it.

• Options

Bear in mind:

I would like to point out to the person who is looking to run Ark Dedicated that the software benefits from faster core speeds as opposed to more cores.

So, Intel i7/Xeon chips are, performance-wise right now, the best option.

Ryzen is the best if they plan on using it a lot into the future, to the point where it'll get upgraded.

This is good to know, thank you everybody for the feedback.

Guess I'll be tossing my Ark server onto my old(er) i7-4770k setup (since that's currently a $0 cost in terms of needing parts).

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-M61P-S3-rev-10#sp

That is mt current pc's motherboard. The cpu fan has started making noise and i wasted valuable time replacing the rear case fan.

What would be a good replacement?

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Any recommendations on mini-ITX cases? The idea of trying a small build for my next gaming rig is rising in my mind. The plan is to move my MSI 1070 8GB over to the new build and pair it with a series 8 or 9 i5.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    In my experience, if you want silence, go quiet air-cooled. Liquid coolers can have better heat performance, but require large case openings and high static pressures. Neither of those are good for noise, particularly when idle.

Anecdotal, but I have a Antec case and my H60 has a SP120 fan and the setup is whisper quiet. I'm using a 4770k auto-overclocked on my Asus Z87 Pro.

Corsair SP 120 fans are the way and the light.

• Options
    Noctua is sweet and smooth, like the chocolate the blade colour resembles.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Fractal Define also make some nice quiet fans, but you probably won't bother unless you're using one of their cases. Otherwise Noctua.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Noiseblocker NB-eLoop are also very good as are be quiet! Silentwings.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Fractal Define also make some nice quiet fans, but you probably won't bother unless you're using one of their cases. Otherwise Noctua.

I just so happen to be using a Fractal Design Focus G - Petrol Blue for my upcoming build, and a pair of Noctua for the exhaust fans.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    The up side of replacing that rear fan is that now the back of my case glows with a cool blue light.

Red makes it go faster, what does blue do?

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular

I just so happen to be using a Fractal Design Focus G - Petrol Blue for my upcoming build, and a pair of Noctua for the exhaust fans.
    How is the Focus G?

It looks a fairly neat case for it's price.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    The up side of replacing that rear fan is that now the back of my case glows with a cool blue light.

Blue fans make you Cooler

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »

Blue fans make you Cooler

It's in the OP!

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Heatwave wrote: »

How is the Focus G?

Best price to capability ratio I can see, and it comes in colors that make it no look like an ADVENT officer's workstation, an important factor when I'm looking at the damn thing for the next 7 years. Edit: Bear in mind, the thing hasn't arrived yet, so I'll give you my full report when the next rig is built.

Jeep-Eep on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »

How is the Focus G?

Best price to capability ratio I can see, and it comes in colors that make it no look like an ADVENT officer's workstation, an important factor when I'm looking at the damn thing for the next 7 years. Edit: Bear in mind, the thing hasn't arrived yet, so I'll give you my full report when the next rig is built.

Yeah I'm more interested in people's experiences building and using cases afterward.

If possible I'd like to build a family member a new PC in the future, so I like to look at what options are currently available

The Deepcool Matrexx 55 caught my eye initially, but it has those shitty tear off pcie slots that can't be re-screwed in afterwards.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    https://youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1311&v=MZvxF7SbwLA

KitGuru just roasts the Intel Core i9 9980XE, and this is not a guy who is known for being overly unforgiving with hardware.

Jeep-Eep on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    IIRC, Orkz in 40K believe:
    • red wunz go fasta
    • blue is the lucky color
    • black (& black/white patterns) signifies toughness & a no-nonsense attitude
    • green is best
    • yellow is for flashy gitz who like to show off

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    so ive got most of the stuff for my new computer, but I still need to get a monitor. browsing amazon has basically only returned a bunch of 1star reviews for monitors failing after a year, ghosting, having weird flashing, or buzzing sounds. anyone know of a decent durable monitor in the $100-150 range?

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    so ive got most of the stuff for my new computer, but I still need to get a monitor. browsing amazon has basically only returned a bunch of 1star reviews for monitors failing after a year, ghosting, having weird flashing, or buzzing sounds. anyone know of a decent durable monitor in the $100-150 range?

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#X=0,20832&sort=popular&page=1

Try that and go from there. I recommend Asus, Dell, LG, and Smasung

• Options
    BenQ is also good and can have crazy sales sometimes.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    https://youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1311&v=MZvxF7SbwLA

KitGuru just roasts the Intel Core i9 9980XE, and this is not a guy who is known for being overly unforgiving with hardware.

That's not entirely surprising. It's basically a recycled 7980.

And honestly, it's good to see Intel suffer. I have no love for AMD, but the 79xx and 99xx series just aren't a viable direction for the enthusiast DIY market. Last year, I built a 7940 (i.e. "only" 14 cores instead of the 79/9980's 18 cores) Hackintosh workstation and it's fast AF, but... it won't stay cool for more than 10 minutes at load with a 360mm AIO cooler on it. So for the last two generations, Intel's highest end chips can't really be cooled effectively.

I'm pretty much the model HEDT customer. I like building my own machines, I use the hell out of them, I eke every last cycle out of even the highest end parts, and I'm willing to pay for more performance. But... I'm not buying something that requires me to build a custom water loop. If I didn't need/prefer to run macOS, I'd switch to Threadripper in a heartbeat.

htm on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I really don't know shit about modern cpu's, but this video seems to think Intel kind of made HEDT irrelevant with what they've done with their regular line and Xeon chips.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEw-3vpqhbQ

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I really don't know shit about modern cpu's, but this video seems to think Intel kind of made HEDT irrelevant with what they've done with their regular line and Xeon chips.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEw-3vpqhbQ

Whether on purpose or not, yeah they've kinda undercut their HEDT chips with the Xeon and iSeries chips.

Apparently they're on track for 7nm in 2020 using that UV lithography voodoo we've all been hearing about and talking about double density on that process... and I'll be more than willing to welcome those chips with open arms, but I'm not believing a word they say right yet.

This discussion has been closed.