Options

[PC Build Thread] It's a weird time in Hardwaretown

1899092949599

Posts

  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of changing to the E850 for the PSU, @Aridhol

    what do you think?

    since I'm using NZXT components (I will be adding a kraken) I'd like to keep them all the same manufacturer.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I'm thinking of changing to the E850 for the PSU, @Aridhol

    what do you think?

    since I'm using NZXT components (I will be adding a kraken) I'd like to keep them all the same manufacturer.

    Sorry I'm not an expert in PSU's but I believe these are just SeaSonic Focus Gold re-branded by NZXT in which case they are great and pretty reliable.

    Any manufacturer that releases a PSU with a 10 year warranty I would say is pretty damn good. No one's perfect but to stand behind it for a decade in this industry speaks to the quality.

  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    Coworker is selling their portable VR tower.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XPZdBb
    I'm not interested in the portability. Would it be a good idea to buy it and replace with full size mobo and case? Was looking to buy a new PC for gaming and game development soonish anyways.
    Whats a good way to find the value of the unpriced parts?

    Any thoughts? Is an I7 quad core worth it or should I only be looking at 8 cores now?

    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »
    Coworker is selling their portable VR tower.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XPZdBb
    I'm not interested in the portability. Would it be a good idea to buy it and replace with full size mobo and case? Was looking to buy a new PC for gaming and game development soonish anyways.
    Whats a good way to find the value of the unpriced parts?

    Any thoughts? Is an I7 quad core worth it or should I only be looking at 8 cores now?

    6700 is still pretty good.
    ram is fine
    drives are good
    1070 is good for 1080p


    What's he asking?

    You can build pretty good new systems for closer to the $800 mark so if he's wanting more than $450-500 that'd be a stretch honestly.

  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    What card is required for 1440p gaming above 60Hz? I bought such a monitor but my 1070 doesn't seem up to the task.

    What games/settings are you trying to run? My laptop has a 1070gtx and I run 1440p/60. I get pretty solid 60 frames running high/ultra on everything I’ve thrown at it bar Assassins Creed Odyssey/Origins and The Division 2 (which I’m guessing has something to do with Denuvo), which are more Medium/High.

    -Loki- on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Damn I just read that non reference 5700s won't be out until August :(

    Ah butts, where abouts did you read this? The shitty blower on the reference Navis is definitely a turn off.

    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-radeon-rx-5700-(navi)-aib-customized-cards-available-in-august.html

    edit: I have no idea why the URL is doing that. You'll have to copy & paste it in.

    URL for our mobile friends.

    Mugsley wrote: »


    First reply is someone asking about the 3200 vs 3600 RAM, and him being a bit... short with them.

    Does 3200 vs 3600 have that much of a performance impact?

    KiTA on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    @bowen

    Early reports of the X570 Taichi are bad due to the fan noise.

    Due to the placement of the fan, it seems like GPUs cause the fan to choke, and moving the GPU to the lower slot reduces temperature by 20 degrees.

    No official evidence from big name reviewers, just people on the AMD subreddit.

    I would seriously wait for reviewers like GN to test all the X570 motherboards to determine which has the best chipset cooling/noise

    To be honest I almost hope the bad fans are all across board and cause AMD to have motherboards released with passive cooling, or at the very least re-release X470 with updated bios.

    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'm suspect of the 20 degree thing, that sounds like someone's massively overclocking.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    So, remember all the way back to yesterday when someone posted about high idle power usage on Ryzen 3 systems, and I said it was almost certainly the chipset. Someone has actually bothered to test it, and yep. As much as 15W difference between a 3700X in a X470 board compared to X570. that matches almost perfectly with the suspected TDP of 15W of X570.

    https://www.extremetech.com/computing/294596-amds-x570-chipset-draws-so-much-power-its-warping-cpu-comparisons

    PCI-e 4 just seems to be really, really power hungry.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Welp, I am currently in possession of a 2070 Super and an oculus rift. Sadly I'm on public transport so it might be a while before I get to play with my new toys.

    Also they didn't have the EVGA cars in Stock, so I went with Zotac. Fingers crossed that won't bite me in the butt...

    Campy on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Welp, I am currently in possession of a 2070 Super and an oculus rift. Sadly I'm on public transport so it might be a while before I get to play with my new toys.

    Also they didn't have the EVGA cars in Stock, so I went with Zotac. Fingers crossed that won't bite me in the butt...

    Which public transport?

    Asking for a friend who wants a 2070 Super.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    So, remember all the way back to yesterday when someone posted about high idle power usage on Ryzen 3 systems, and I said it was almost certainly the chipset. Someone has actually bothered to test it, and yep. As much as 15W difference between a 3700X in a X470 board compared to X570. that matches almost perfectly with the suspected TDP of 15W of X570.

    https://www.extremetech.com/computing/294596-amds-x570-chipset-draws-so-much-power-its-warping-cpu-comparisons

    PCI-e 4 just seems to be really, really power hungry.

    Neat, thanks!

    Also, shame about PCIe 4 using that much power, really.

  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Motherfucking $720 + tax for a 2070 super AIB card here in Canada.

    That's another $50-100 premium on top of the dollar difference bleh.

    If the 5700XT non-blower cards come in near MSRP I'm gonna have to go that way.


    There's a $200 difference CDN between the 5700xt and the 2070 Super.
    Even taking into account a likely $50 AIB bump that's still $150.

    Ray tracing and a few percent isn't worth THAT much to me heh.

    Aridhol on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Motherfucking $720 + tax for a 2070 super AIB card here in Canada.

    That's another $50-100 premium on top of the dollar difference bleh.

    If the 5700XT non-blower cards come in near MSRP I'm gonna have to go that way.

    I don't disagree, but I feel like it should be pointed out that the 5700XT doesn't compete with the 2070 Super. the direct price comparison is the 2060 Super/2070.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    double your clock rate, double the fun! Also square the power, but nbd, right?

  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    bowen wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm not trying to accuse you guys of anything, but I've never been a fan of ASRock boards; even their Taichi. Then again, I think a good number of you turn over hardware way more often than me so it's less of an issue.

    I've used a lot of ASRock boards and I've never been disappointed by them. But I've always been a fan of ASUS in general, they've never really let me down.

    MSI can suck some fat cocks tho.

    That said, the taichi looks like its one of the better rated mid-level x570 boards.

    what's ASRock got to do with ASUS today?

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm not trying to accuse you guys of anything, but I've never been a fan of ASRock boards; even their Taichi. Then again, I think a good number of you turn over hardware way more often than me so it's less of an issue.

    I've used a lot of ASRock boards and I've never been disappointed by them. But I've always been a fan of ASUS in general, they've never really let me down.

    MSI can suck some fat cocks tho.

    That said, the taichi looks like its one of the better rated mid-level x570 boards.

    what's ASRock got to do with ASUS today?

    They were sister companies, and share similar values even though they are "legally" unique and separate now. I didn't necessarily imply they were the still owned by the same parent company, which is what I think you're shooting to correct me on there?

    Asus spun off pegatron to operate ASRock directly as a "competitor", but, it's the same as Blizzard having its own CEO, as far as I understood it. They have autonomy in so far that ASUS allows it.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I have a PC that will not start up that I kind of abandoned.

    I think a power cable popped off the motherboard. I have not cracked it open.

  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »
    Welp, I am currently in possession of a 2070 Super and an oculus rift. Sadly I'm on public transport so it might be a while before I get to play with my new toys.

    Also they didn't have the EVGA cars in Stock, so I went with Zotac. Fingers crossed that won't bite me in the butt...

    Which public transport?

    Asking for a friend who wants a 2070 Super.

    I'm not even kidding when I say I was clutching my bags to me the whole way home.

    Every person was a potential mugger threatening to take my precious away!

    Edit: Installing drivers, why oh why didn't I check the internet connectivity before buying a house. 4 MB/sec D:

    Campy on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I have a PC that will not start up that I kind of abandoned.

    I think a power cable popped off the motherboard. I have not cracked it open.

    Crack it open and get your hands dirty. We can help from there

  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »
    Welp, I am currently in possession of a 2070 Super and an oculus rift. Sadly I'm on public transport so it might be a while before I get to play with my new toys.

    Also they didn't have the EVGA cars in Stock, so I went with Zotac. Fingers crossed that won't bite me in the butt...

    Which public transport?

    Asking for a friend who wants a 2070 Super.

    I'm not even kidding when I say I was clutching my bags to me the whole way home.

    Every person was a potential mugger threatening to take my precious away!

    Edit: Installing drivers, why oh why didn't I check the internet connectivity before buying a house. 4 MB/sec D:

    what...where are you living where you even get that kind of internet, that's atrocious

  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I have a PC that will not start up that I kind of abandoned.

    I think a power cable popped off the motherboard. I have not cracked it open.

    open it up, snap a few pics and we can get you sorted.

  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Anyone have use for a Noctua nh-u9b se2? It’s an older version of the of the u9s. Absolutely no compatibility with new AMD stuff at all (AM4). May work for intel lga115x stuff (definitely lga 1150/55/56). I may have hardware for older AMD stuff floating around in storage at my dads house, but no guarantee.

    Otherwise I’ve got a damn paperweight.

    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    I got a xeon e3-1225 v5 (which is a Skylake Generation CPU) and 16GB ECC non buffered RAM from a defective workstation. Can you recommend me a cheap motherboard which can handle these components?

    For people in the same situation: I got a cheapo C232 mainboard - ASRock E3V5 WS S1150 Intel C232 - I'll tell you how the upgrade went.

  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »
    Welp, I am currently in possession of a 2070 Super and an oculus rift. Sadly I'm on public transport so it might be a while before I get to play with my new toys.

    Also they didn't have the EVGA cars in Stock, so I went with Zotac. Fingers crossed that won't bite me in the butt...

    Which public transport?

    Asking for a friend who wants a 2070 Super.

    I'm not even kidding when I say I was clutching my bags to me the whole way home.

    Every person was a potential mugger threatening to take my precious away!

    Edit: Installing drivers, why oh why didn't I check the internet connectivity before buying a house. 4 MB/sec D:

    what...where are you living where you even get that kind of internet, that's atrocious

    Old council house street in Manchester. Not exactly the spot primed for infrastructure upgrades...

    I'm hopefully getting my account upgraded to a whopping 50mbit, but the company didn't promise I'll actually see any improvements

  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I really wish some more board reviews would come out.
    Anyone have use for a Noctua nh-u9b se2? It’s an older version of the of the u9s. Absolutely no compatibility with new AMD stuff at all (AM4). May work for intel lga115x stuff (definitely lga 1150/55/56). I may have hardware for older AMD stuff floating around in storage at my dads house, but no guarantee.

    Otherwise I’ve got a damn paperweight.

    Sounds like it's time to get out an angle grinder and make yourself a DIY passive x570 chipset cooler!

    Mvrck on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2019
    bowen wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm not trying to accuse you guys of anything, but I've never been a fan of ASRock boards; even their Taichi. Then again, I think a good number of you turn over hardware way more often than me so it's less of an issue.

    I've used a lot of ASRock boards and I've never been disappointed by them. But I've always been a fan of ASUS in general, they've never really let me down.

    MSI can suck some fat cocks tho.

    That said, the taichi looks like its one of the better rated mid-level x570 boards.

    what's ASRock got to do with ASUS today?

    They were sister companies, and share similar values even though they are "legally" unique and separate now. I didn't necessarily imply they were the still owned by the same parent company, which is what I think you're shooting to correct me on there?

    Asus spun off pegatron to operate ASRock directly as a "competitor", but, it's the same as Blizzard having its own CEO, as far as I understood it. They have autonomy in so far that ASUS allows it.

    not trying to correct you, genuinely didn't know they were still connected. Their wikipedia article doesn't mention the relationship beyond saying they were spun off from ASUS in 2002.

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm not trying to accuse you guys of anything, but I've never been a fan of ASRock boards; even their Taichi. Then again, I think a good number of you turn over hardware way more often than me so it's less of an issue.

    I've used a lot of ASRock boards and I've never been disappointed by them. But I've always been a fan of ASUS in general, they've never really let me down.

    MSI can suck some fat cocks tho.

    That said, the taichi looks like its one of the better rated mid-level x570 boards.

    what's ASRock got to do with ASUS today?

    They were sister companies, and share similar values even though they are "legally" unique and separate now. I didn't necessarily imply they were the still owned by the same parent company, which is what I think you're shooting to correct me on there?

    Asus spun off pegatron to operate ASRock directly as a "competitor", but, it's the same as Blizzard having its own CEO, as far as I understood it. They have autonomy in so far that ASUS allows it.

    not trying to correct you, genuinely didn't know they were still connected. Their wikipedia article doesn't mention the relationship beyond saying they were spun off from ASUS in 2002.

    Sorry I deal with this a lot on PA in general so I'm always snippy when someone does that.

    ASRock was meant to capture the foxconn OEM market and everyone just generally liked their boards so ASUS spun them off into their own "separate" company.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    so it's like a separate corporations, same ownership type situation?

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Yup, pretty much. On paper they look like separate companies that are competing with each other. As the years went on from 2010 they started being less and less "ASRock is the cheap version of ASUS boards" and more "ASRock is a direct competitor" but they're really just capitalizing on the market that people who liked ASRock originally still want ASRock boards instead of ASUS.

    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Mvrck wrote: »
    I really wish some more board reviews would come out.
    Anyone have use for a Noctua nh-u9b se2? It’s an older version of the of the u9s. Absolutely no compatibility with new AMD stuff at all (AM4). May work for intel lga115x stuff (definitely lga 1150/55/56). I may have hardware for older AMD stuff floating around in storage at my dads house, but no guarantee.

    Otherwise I’ve got a damn paperweight.

    Sounds like it's time to get out an angle grinder and make yourself a DIY passive x570 chipset cooler!


    If I’m going to do that, why not go full crazy, I still have a
    NoFan CR-95C somewhere.


    IMG_1709.jpg

    Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I had a hybrid ASRock board many years ago. It could support AGP and PCIe video cards. The PCIe was not max speed though. It really was not worth it.

    The current Alienware PC I got is working great.

    Krathoon on
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Woah, I never realized how huge those NoFan things are. I'm intrigued, but not to the point of dropping $100 on one. Besides, I wear headphones all day so I don't give a crap how loud my PC is. It could sound like a jet engine and I wouldn't notice.

  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    Woah, I never realized how huge those NoFan things are. I'm intrigued, but not to the point of dropping $100 on one. Besides, I wear headphones all day so I don't give a crap how loud my PC is. It could sound like a jet engine and I wouldn't notice.

    Yeah, they basically trade airflow for surface area, to get the cooling job done. And they're still not as efficient effective.

    Mugsley on
  • Options
    Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Here's my part list if anyone wants to (in)sanity check me (CPU and motherboard are already ordered)

    Take a gander at this Mainboard list - all the x570s.
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/14161/the-amd-x570-motherboard-overview

    I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    @bowen What's your use case that you're going for a 3900x but only 16gb of RAM? Mainly compiling stuff (not sure what the ram needs are for that right now)?

  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yup software dev and some light VM for now, I'll be upgrading to 32 in the near future.

    I tend to do work while I'm gaming/queued/deathcamming.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Compiling isn't really a RAM intensive operation, it's a cache intensive one. Which is why the 3900X slays at compile tests.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I really need to get a third monitor set up with monitor arms on my desk I think, pc build thread, help me

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.