As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Getting back on topic to Fallout, I have pulled up some streams and watched some people play FO76 online.

It seems like almost everyone is farming nukes or something? Is that really what the end game content is? Farming nukes so you can blow up other people?

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Getting back on topic to Fallout, I have pulled up some streams and watched some people play FO76 online.

It seems like almost everyone is farming nukes or something? Is that really what the end game content is? Farming nukes so you can blow up other people?

Mostly its to drop nukes on the big fissures to spawn the "raid" bosses.

At least, that's all I've seen them used for.

Though I could be wrong about the mechanics.

cptrugged on
    Doesn't sound like there's much content in the game if people are already farming for the end game.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Doesn't sound like there's much content in the game if people are already farming for the end game.

The biggest boss currently in game was beaten the day after launch.

What is this I don't even.
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    There's a metric shitload of content in the game. But you can also bumrush straight to the endgame. If you want. For whatever inexplicable reason...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    That's pretty standard. When a new WoW expansion comes out, people are max level and getting ready for raids like 10 hours later.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

There’s a huge amount of content, actually. There’s a full Bethesda game under the mess.

The problem is that its not what a lot of the community is there to engage with. There has been a lot of confusion over what this game is, partially because the game itself is bad at communicating this.

Are people just not trying to build awesome bases?

I don't own this game yet which is why I'm asking these questions. But if I were to buy it, I would want to work with friends or a guild to build a settlement and like actually try to improve the wasteland. Killing uber bosses and such would be of minimal concern to me personally if I were playing.

I guess that leads me to another question - what is the point of this game? is it to accumulate some sort of top level gear from raid bosses? Is it Happy Home Maker: Wasteland Edition? Like why do people play this game? What's the goal?

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »

Mostly its to drop nukes on the big fissures to spawn the "raid" bosses.

At least, that's all I've seen them used for.

Though I could be wrong about the mechanics.

One fissure in particular will spawn the endgame boss. Other areas, the nukes will mutate normal enemies into tougher versions, and plants into mutant versions that you can all harvest rare, unstable resources from. You can farm this stuff and stabilize it at a crafting station, and use it to build things like underarmor that gives bonuses to SPECIAL stats.

Nuked creatures also have a higher chance of being legendaries and having legendary drops.

Yes and no. There's plenty of room to explore and little sidequests to do. But you can also easily grind yourself to the endgame and then have nothing much to do but farm.

5gsowHm.png

I don't own this game yet which is why I'm asking these questions. But if I were to buy it, I would want to work with friends or a guild to build a settlement and like actually try to improve the wasteland. Killing uber bosses and such would be of minimal concern to me personally if I were playing.

I guess that leads me to another question - what is the point of this game? is it to accumulate some sort of top level gear from raid bosses? Is it Happy Home Maker: Wasteland Edition? Like why do people play this game? What's the goal?

I play it to find every single map marker and unmarked place on the map, to explore every nook and cranny I can. With each of 4 different characters.

... And for pretty princess dressup, wasteland edition.

>.>

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

The goal, like most survival games IMO, is exploration and crafting. Both in personal items and in your camp. There's also some really long and involved quests involving the lore of the game. Some of which are quite cool.

So far the difference between this and Ark / Conan to me is that this game looks and plays better than those games. With the trade off that the building is more limited and the PVP is less brutal (Neither of which are a negative to me personally)

I guess it comes down to this. Did you spend hours and hours in Fallout 4 ignoring the plot and just wandering around discovering all the nooks and crannies to find things? Then this game would probably scratch that itch.

I spent my time in Fallout 4 building a base, finding settlers to assign to my farming plots and defense stations, and also building the ultimate death robot companion.

The base building is very minimal and grouping isn’t that advanced. It’s basically Fallout 4 with other players on the map, an extremely paired down building system, and no dialogue trees.

The game is fun, but there are some weird design decisions.

Like, a major problem is that the base budget is so small that you really can’t get that elaborate before you hit the cap. It’s called the CAMP, and it is meant to be more of a portable spot to hold your stuff and crafting benches more than a toolbox to get really creative.

I spent my time in Fallout 4 building a base, finding settlers to assign to my farming plots and defense stations, and also building the ultimate death robot companion.

Then, honestly, I probably wouldn't recommend it. At least not until they expand the building aspect.

Right now the CAMP is limited by a budget that just isn't that great. And the workshop system is fun (To me at least), but is also limited that you lose the workshops when you log out (but if you're on a team, a team member gets ownership)

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, the budget is too small, but apparently the cost of each item goes down as you level to some small degree. Can someone verify that?

Not that I'd use it, my 1 square wide base is the epitome of placement mechanics, but it be nice I guess to be able to get more elaborate.

I will say though. As I've actually stopped wandering around for hours a bit and have engaged some of the larger quest lines. They are surprisingly solid. The Rose questline was really great.

Then, honestly, I probably wouldn't recommend it. At least not until they expand the building aspect.

Right now the CAMP is limited by a budget that just isn't that great. And the workshop system is fun (To me at least), but is also limited that you lose the workshops when you log out (but if you're on a team, a team member gets ownership)

The stability of the game is really crippling the workshops right now. You basically are investing time in a system that requires time to set up and needs you to check back and manually harvest resources in a game where it is a miracle to go an hour without being kicked from the server and losing it all.

Also, Bethesda just nerfed the resources from them, when they already were barely worth the effort.

The stability of the game is really crippling the workshops right now. You basically are investing time in a system that requires time to set up and needs you to check back and manually harvest resources in a game where it is a miracle to go an hour without being kicked from the server and losing it all.

Also, Bethesda just nerfed the resources from them, when they already were barely worth the effort.

Yeah. I don't really understand the changes they made to the resources.

This is a system that I actually engage with a lot in the game. I love taking them and building them up a bit for when I'm going to be playing for a long session. I never thought they were particularly game breaking. Hell, a lot of the time, I'd take one or two of them just to have a nearby fast travel point.

I still regularly play 5+ hour sessions without being disconnected, and manage to maintain workshop ownership throughout. My kid that I co-op with gets disconnected somewhat often though... enough that he has ragequit a time or two. Not sure why some people get kicked left and right and others never do. Just one more bonkers thing about the game I guess.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEQ2hXnjSrU

• MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    All I will say is:

Into The Mystery.

I am commanded to silence beyond this.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    All I will say is:

Into The Mystery.

I am commanded to silence beyond this.
    Are you supposed to get a holotape from the check-in? Because, if so, I think the game bugged out on that quest, unless I'm supposed to come back or am missing something obvious. As it is, I've scoured every room, read/listened to every log, and I'm still locked out of a bunch of stuff with no conclusion.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

There’s a huge amount of content, actually. There’s a full Bethesda game under the mess.

The problem is that its not what a lot of the community is there to engage with. There has been a lot of confusion over what this game is, partially because the game itself is bad at communicating this.

For me the problem has been it lacks the strong social aspect of an MMO but there also isn't enough quest or story content to really make it engaging solo either. So basically its an intricately detailed world in which nothing changes and I don't matter.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    So basically its an intricately detailed world in which nothing changes and I don't matter.

Fallout: Real Life Simulator?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~

For me the problem has been it lacks the strong social aspect of an MMO but there also isn't enough quest or story content to really make it engaging solo either. So basically its an intricately detailed world in which nothing changes and I don't matter.

I enjoy it for what it is, but there is a weird narrative disconnect when it comes to the world and gameplay systems.

You are supposed to be rebuilding, but your ability build or cooperate with fellow Vault dwellers is limited to temporary structures and shooting things. There is a narrative thread with you following the Overseer, but the reason you are doing so is because you are a player who wants to see the next Bethesda story and not a character with an intrinsic reason to get into archaeological/historical research.

To the extent that the game has a plot, it's that you need to access the nukes and eliminate the source of all a plague and the unique monsters around West Virginia. But nuking the source of the monsters doesn't do that, it just spawns a boss battle with underwhelming loot.

I really think Bethesda needs to explore some degree of instancing and zones tied to the levels. I've seen games do an involved RPG story in this context (it's what The Secret World excels at), but it requires there be some degree of unique content and progression for players.

Some of this might be coming. I don't think it is an accident that the map and world are labeled "Appalachia" instead of West Virginia.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Its called Appalachia because states didn't exist anymore as administrative districts when the bombs fell, instead being reorganized into 13 entities, one of which was Appalachia.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    In the wasteland, states don't exist anymore. They don't call it West Verginia, because there is no West Virginia. There is only Appalachia, the geographic location.

Sort of like how they call the Boston area the Commonwealth. It isn't Boston anymore, or Massachusetts. Or in Fallout 3 why Washington DC is called the Capital Wasteland. Because that's the geographic location. Its a wasteland where a capital used to be. But pretty much in the Fallout universe, every major location is referred to by its geographic attributes, not by a proper city name or state name.

Sorry, the administration district was the Eastern Commonwealth, not Appalachia.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    Is there anyway to lock gear so that it can't be scrapped? because I've lost stuff 3 times now to my mouse moving up and using enter to scrap something that I am actively wearing.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    You can tag gear as Favorite, which at least gives you a reminder "Hey dummy, don't scrap this !"

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Too bad the UI will ignore that reminder!

The way how this game has made me frantically shift resource focus over time is interesting.

1-20. Adhesive and Aluminum. Rebuilding your early weapons / armor every 5 to 10 levels made these my most valuable resources.

20-50. Springs, Gears, Screws. Now it's not just weapons, it's power armor parts. And adhesive / aluminum are much easier due to farms / resource nodes.

50+. Ammo (Lead) Now I don't have to build any more pieces much so while screw, gears, and springs are still needed it's not the crazed need I had to make new and better gear. But now I'm fighting enemies that eat ammunition like crazy.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    You're also farming stash space all the way through.

A couple of gripes.

Why do plasma weapons suck so bad. Whatever weird projectile thing they did with it for some reason never wants to hit the enemy hit boxes at all. I found a plasma gatling on my heavy weapons character. I was so jazzed. I unloaded a full core at a normal Scortched mob at close range. Maybe 10% of the shots actually hit/ registered damage. I'd had a similar experience earlier in the game with a plasma rifle but I thought maybe that had been a problem with trying to use it to snipe on a scope.

Scortchbeasts are a shit design. I'd never really had to deal with them much since I had to start a new character due to a killer bug. But yeah, to hard to hit in the air. The now constant sonic attack makes aiming at them even harder. They're bullet spongy as hell and give modiocre loot for the effort. And god forbid you're melee. I used to think you could just switch to a trusty gun to bring them down then smak em'. But an unperked or lightly perked gun will do nothing to them and they don't land nearly enough. Ugh.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I’m endgame geared but I’ll just logout if there is a Scorchbeast, cant hit them most of the time, tons of HP and shit loot.

Yeah, I’ll pass.

I know that Bethesda is an extremely old-school developer in a lot of ways, but I am amazed that they are sticking with a traditional patching pace for an online game. Most smaller companies - and a lot of the majors - would be dropping daily hotfixes and weekly patches with extensive notes.

This game will have been out for a month this week, and it has had two patches including the release-day one and a week-one hotfix.

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Considering the size of the patches, it would probably melt a few servers.

But yeah generally you want to patch the shit out of a new game if there are major glaring issues, especially if it's getting bad press.

edited December 2018
    Strikor wrote: »
    Considering the size of the patches, it would probably melt a few servers.

But yeah generally you want to patch the shit out of a new game if there are major glaring issues, especially if it's getting bad press.

Even without the issues, the expectations for an online game are frequent and robust patches with multiple hotfixes in between. Fortnite, for example, has a weekly patch schedule with in-between fixes when necessary.

Phillishere on
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Yeah it really seems like they made a MMORPG but refuse to admit they made a MMORPG, even though it was their entire goal all along.

"The modders will fix it" doesn't exactly apply to this title...