Options

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's just from burning out on the infinite grind in mmos, but I have no patience left for the infinite copy paste nonsense in Fallout 4, and seeing as 76 looked to be even more of it with daily homework to do was a big part of what put me off of it. I don't want an infinity game that never stops giving me samey stuff to do over and over, I want a story, with a beginning, middle, and an end. I've never actually got all the way through Fallout 4, the copy paste grind stuff grinds down my interest before I have patience to get through the story. I'm assuming the next mainline Fallout game will also have infinite settlements wanting us to head out to the store to get them milk or whatever, I'm not sure I'll have much desire to play it if it does.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    You can really ignore them. Even if you fail them nothing major happens. In Fallout 4 if you're interested in the story you can get all the way to the Institute pretty quickly. From there you have a bunch of different choices on who to join and then get through the game.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Well I can get a reasonably quick solo full clear of Most Sensational Game, gonna have to make a point of trying to grind that out for Union power armor now that it's back tomorrow.

On the one hand I don't have that and it looks cool.

On the other hand I never wear any of the PA I already have, barring Excavator in nuke zones.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    You can really ignore them. Even if you fail them nothing major happens. In Fallout 4 if you're interested in the story you can get all the way to the Institute pretty quickly. From there you have a bunch of different choices on who to join and then get through the game.

... all of which suck, IMO, because Bethesda considers that a desirable quality, particularly in this series.

• Options
    Probably. But they were talking about the copy/paste grind stuff. All of which you can pretty much ignore if you so want. You don't have to do anything with the settlements beyond the first one. You don't have to clear out stuff for the BoS or plant the weathervanes... They're just a way to generate experience and bottle caps if you don't want to do the loot stuff.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Well I can get a reasonably quick solo full clear of Most Sensational Game, gonna have to make a point of trying to grind that out for Union power armor now that it's back tomorrow.

On the other hand I never wear any of the PA I already have, barring Excavator in nuke zones.

I on the other hand am in my X-01 so much I worry about what it smells like in there

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »
    CroakerBC wrote: »

I on the other hand am in my X-01 so much I worry about what it smells like in there

I swear I'm levelling up What Rads specifically to see if I can survive in a nuke zone without PA.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Union is basically better defenses Excavator with a free legendary perk

The only downside being I think it's kind of dumb looking, but hey that's what power armor skins are for I guess

• Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    Probably. But they were talking about the copy/paste grind stuff. All of which you can pretty much ignore if you so want. You don't have to do anything with the settlements beyond the first one. You don't have to clear out stuff for the BoS or plant the weathervanes... They're just a way to generate experience and bottle caps if you don't want to do the loot stuff.

I know I can just ignore them but the game doesn’t signal “this is pointless busywork” vs “this quest has an actual story tied to it” so it’s hard to know what to avoid on a first pass. Plus one of the infinite fonts of pointless quests is one of your companions, so if you so much as talk to the guy he’ll instantly mark another settlement that needs our help. And those start out as new settlements, new stuff to do. It’s not particularly deep but at least the end result is a new area I get to build up, but then they start mixing in quests to go back to places already cleared out because whatever level of security I installed wasn’t enough or whatever. I appreciate that that stuff appeals to some people, but I’ve finally broken the habit from grinding in WoW for over a decade, so I’d rather a single player game just give me an end point to aim for than stretching some very thin content out to infinity.

• Options
    Oh no infinite spawning quests masked as actual quests is real bad design. But I'm saying it's entirely possible to ignore them and focus on the main story quests. And the main story is very obvious.

The funny thing is that this problem could easily be solved by having a folder structure for quests. Top notch is main quests, then side quests, maybe companion quests and then finally small missions or whatever they call them.

• Options
    But you can select the main quest and not uncheck it and follow it through the entire game if that's what you're into.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    "The Big Dig" now joining "Battle of the USS Constitution" as "missions that could've been a lot of fun, if the NPCs would ever get the fuck out of the way"

Basically spent three miles tripping over Bobbi and Mel every fifteen odd feet, only to "accidentally" die near the end to a random grenade because these two idiots could not quit standing and stopping in the middle of narrow corridors

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    The USS Constitution fight I had won, then I tried to reenter the ship and it immediately dropped four high level Scavvers literally on top/all around me so I couldn't move, and died to gunfire in five seconds

• Options
    God that's why I stopped bringing Dogmeat. Every time I turned around that fucker would be standing in the doorway blocking me.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    I actually had to quit out of a game last night b/c dogmeat was between me and a terminal and the game got stuck on the zooming into the terminal animation, but could never finish. Had to alt-f4 out...

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    you can get around that by waiting a bit and spamming the esc/pause key.
    useful for survival runs when your last save was hours ago ..

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    God that's why I stopped bringing Dogmeat. Every time I turned around that fucker would be standing in the doorway blocking me.

https://youtu.be/3cKQIjpTLog?si=ZN5Q8F9EnjRPreCa

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    He deserved that lol

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    He deserved that lol
    Invading the Vats, I came across more mutants
    and robots. None could stand in my way. I had a
    mission. I had a goal. I had a really large gun.
    It was here that Dogmeat fell, a victim of a
    powerful energy forcefield. I miss that dog.

Dogmeat is eternal. Dogmeat never learns.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 13
    Trying to do the new Skyline content in 76.

I've had a soft lock in every quest so far that's required a server hop to "fix".

Cool testing. :lol:

EDIT: Also, not sure if it's a bug or not, but the Lost simply ignore stealth, straight up. I'm not sure if they're supposed to or if they're trying to nudge people away from commando builds, but it's annoying. There's always been events and such where enemies ignore stealth, but not straight up an entire enemy type.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Even when I play Commando, I don't bother with stealth

Hell, the most popular Commando weapon can't even be silenced (Choo choo!)

• Options
    Man I'd pay a large sum of money for a thing to build in your camp that automatically harvested your plants for you.

It doesn't even need to be an over time thing. Just like the biodome in No Mans Sky where you can just do one interaction and harvest the whole room.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    New Nuke Boss fight is gonna be interesting when the novelty wears off. The entire server was there and we had enough beefy folks that we brute forced it, but I could see it being an issue if people try that too often.

• Options
    It's not too bad as long as the three of them are being killed at near the same rate

If you focus fire the bots down one by one it takes like twice as long

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

It always amazes me how perfectly Bethesda programed a German Shepherd

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

It always amazes me how perfectly Bethesda programed a German Shepherd

sheep dogs gonna.

(border collies, in particular, will go nuts if you don't give them something (or someone) to herd.)

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Our German Shepherd (Rest in Peace) would constantly CONSTANTLY attempt to be both behind us and in front of us at all times. As a result he was just constantly in the way.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    LJDouglas wrote: »
    I don't know if it's just from burning out on the infinite grind in mmos, but I have no patience left for the infinite copy paste nonsense in Fallout 4, and seeing as 76 looked to be even more of it with daily homework to do was a big part of what put me off of it. I don't want an infinity game that never stops giving me samey stuff to do over and over, I want a story, with a beginning, middle, and an end. I've never actually got all the way through Fallout 4, the copy paste grind stuff grinds down my interest before I have patience to get through the story. I'm assuming the next mainline Fallout game will also have infinite settlements wanting us to head out to the store to get them milk or whatever, I'm not sure I'll have much desire to play it if it does.

Fallout 76 classifies quests into Main, Side, and Daily. The main quest lines are the original Overseer/Scorched quest line, the Wastelanders* quest line, the Brotherhood of Steel quest line, and the new Skyline quest line. Side quests are stuff like companion quests or regional quests, and Daily is just that.

FO76 uses instanced areas for quite a few of the NPC hubs in which your story line decisions can impact who is in the area. For example, if you decided to kill "X" he won't show up in the instance. If you decided to instead capture "X", he will show up in a cage or prison cell. It also let's the NPCs move around without running into continuity issues in the overworld.

*Wastelanders has two main factions, Raiders and Settlers. I would do both quest lines to the obvious decision point, then pick a faction.

I think the plot line to FO76 is superior to FO4. But that's a bar so low that Hermes Conrad couldn't limbo under it.

• Options
    I also think the main quests in 76 are better than 3

But I don't consider that bar much higher than 4

• Options
    I will say, the new expansion quest in FO76 has been suitably cryptic and ominous thus far. Been a while since I enjoyed a low-key Fallout story this much.

• Options
    So, the new "raid" boss effectively cannot hurt someone with Electric Absorption equipped

Cleared the fight with only four people, took awhile and like 90% of the fight I had all three robots aggro'd to me just shooting me with lightning

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited June 14
    Last night I fast traveled to a settlement in Fallout 4 and came across the event where a resident accuses a settler of being a synth. Only the accuser was a brahmin using a male settler voice script to accuse the settler. And the accused admitted the brahmin was right after a dialogue check.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    A Strange Ox indeed....

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    You guys have no idea how long I've been waiting for official ghoul support in Fallout.

Okay, now I just need Bethesda to let us play as a super mutant too and I'm good, I swear.

I swear!

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    As someone who has only really done Full Health stuff in 76 so far, Ghoul sounds like a win-win to me

That said, having the option to suddenly pop on 15 more Int for leveling purposes is nice

• Options
    edited June 17
    I'm sort of confused why half the locations in Skyline aren't used in the main questline there, and as far as I can tell, aside from a scavenger hunt unmarked quest, there's no sidequests.

I know not everything has to have a quest associated with it, it's fine to just have them to explore; but it seems weird to have big things like the Rapidan Camp have (as far as I can tell) nothing going on, not really anything to loot, but is there.

Future content, I suppose.

EDIT: I see that Rapidan Camp specifically is tied to cut content. Given what that content was potentially, I would venture to guess that a potential future Enclave dlc or whatnot could involve it.

EDIT2: Actually it seems like maybe there was initially a lot more backstory with the communists and such with the expansion as a whole (Camp Liberty kind of just...exists), but at least for now there's only tangentially related stuff mentioned in some of the journals and such you can look at during the main Skyline quest. Wish they had kept more in. I thought the main questline was pretty good, but it looks like it could have been more interesting and had motives make more sense for some of the characters. Too bad they didn't take the extra time to make that work and not end the season early. :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Yeah it seems like there was originally going to be the opposite, and quests tied to almost every big location (as well as extra wings of 63 we haven't seen yet). I'm guessing that in testing it felt like the 63 stuff dragged on too much, and they decided to halt/trim it down and will release some of those sections as continuations after the end of the main segment in Skyline. We know that there is going to be a lot more coming with a later update when they do the Blue Caravan focused stuff, since that's the reason you can't build C.A.M.P.s along the roads in Skyline.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    So I hopped back in to run through the Skyline Valley story. Decided I’d take another swing at the season stuff while I was at it… and promptly decided to stop again when I found out you need Fallout 1st to get the armor paints for the X-01 and Secret Service non-power armor. :\

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited June 18
    Personally, I think this season's armor paints are pretty hideous.

There's some camp clutter that I think is really solid though, like the piles of ammo.

The Scoutmaster Collection also seems to have a high chance of collecting Sugar Bombs.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I hit 350 tonight, and now that my Secret Service armor is fully online I decided to try my hand at rolling a legendary Railway Rifle, and got a god roll (Quad/Attack Speed/Reload Speed) in less than a dozen rolls. Did a nuke tonight for the new event and I had one of the 3 bots solo for most of the fight, and was able to do as much damage as half the rest of the server solo with it, until it broke after around 500 rounds and 75% of the bosses' health. I need to swap out Demolitions for Gunsmith on bosses, but I'm lazy and forget.

The naming convention for stuff in the game gets silly. Thanks to the new season, I am now wearing the Unyielding Forest Service Jet Pack Secret Service Chest Piece. If one of the mod names had Service in it, I would use that just so I could have the Unyielding Forest Service Something Service Secret Service Chest Piece.