As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    El Skid wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm very worried that the US is trumping up charges and using Canada to do their dirty work arresting Meng.

I think that would be a very bad precedent for the US to set though. And I'm sure we'll do our best to make sure the evidence is proper before we let the US have her.

That's all we can really do... Though the way China is arresting/sentencing Canadians is really appalling, and I hope they realize that they are not helping themselves on the world stage doing this.

Agreed. Except that I don't think China gives a shit if this makes them look bad on the world stage. They'd rather protect one of their most prominent citizens.

Chinese policy, foreign and domestic, is taking a turn for the belligerently anti-foreigner too these days for various reasons. They are flexing their muscles in ways they wouldn't have like 5 years ago.

We gots three big superpowers and the other two don't exactly have a lot of moral high ground right now.

I have no idea wtf you are talking about here. China is changing up it's game, mostly likely (from what I've read anyway) due to Xi Jinping consolidating power and as a reaction to the cooling economy.

And also in response to the US' withdrawl from the global community since Trump's election. There's no Western united front sticking up for countries like Canada right now, which is exactly why they're putting the screws to us. That's all I was sayin'.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    It just seems like a weird thing to do... they’re trying to get everyone to let their company get in on 5G and arguing that this company isn’t controlled by the government...while getting super in your face with everyone about defending the company’s executive. Bizarre

I don't think that China has a really solid plan here. They obviously want Meng released, but trying to get Canada to break an incredibly valuable extradition treaty (well, normally, when there's not a nutter in the White House) followed by throwing the death penalty at people, all while insisting that Huawei has no special connection to the government is laughable.

The message that Huawei is just a regular company, but if you mess with them we'll start tossing your citizens in jail is one hell of a tough sell.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm very worried that the US is trumping up charges and using Canada to do their dirty work arresting Meng.

I think that would be a very bad precedent for the US to set though. And I'm sure we'll do our best to make sure the evidence is proper before we let the US have her.

That's all we can really do... Though the way China is arresting/sentencing Canadians is really appalling, and I hope they realize that they are not helping themselves on the world stage doing this.

Agreed. Except that I don't think China gives a shit if this makes them look bad on the world stage. They'd rather protect one of their most prominent citizens.

Chinese policy, foreign and domestic, is taking a turn for the belligerently anti-foreigner too these days for various reasons. They are flexing their muscles in ways they wouldn't have like 5 years ago.

We gots three big superpowers and the other two don't exactly have a lot of moral high ground right now.

I have no idea wtf you are talking about here. China is changing up it's game, mostly likely (from what I've read anyway) due to Xi Jinping consolidating power and as a reaction to the cooling economy.

And also in response to the US' withdrawl from the global community since Trump's election. There's no Western united front sticking up for countries like Canada right now, which is exactly why they're putting the screws to us. That's all I was sayin'.

What does "moral high ground" have to do with that?

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So with the election expected in the fall (has there actually been an official announcement on this btw?), has anyone else noticed the MSM has gone into overdrive trying to paint Trudeau into an all-talk ineffective PM, our country as screwed, and the alt-right as our true and inevitable leaders?

I swear it feels like 2016 all over again.

Some of my favourite highlights are "MAXIME BERNIER'S NEW PARTY IS DOING GREAT FINANCIALLY", that was an actual headline in an article bragging the Popular Party's 300,000$ haul in donations (which only mentioned in passing the CPC and Liberals got over 10M$ and the NDP 3M$ in the same period), and "CANADA FALLS IN ANTI-CORRUPTION INDEX", the headline for our precipitous fall from 82 points to 81 points in the anti-corruption index, relative to the least corrupt country on Earth (Norway IIRC) at 88 points. Oh, and "CONSERVATIVES URGE TRUDEAU TO BALANCE BUDGET", which of course accidentally omitted to mention the budget was balanced by Chrétien and Martin and screwed up by Harper's 55B$ annual deficits.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    There definitely seems to be a frustrating double standard.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    At least we know the Conservatives want to increase the deficit while only increasing the tax rates on the poorest, since they asked the Liberal to pledge to eliminate the deficit without increasing taxes for the middle class.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    My thicker relatives have latched onto the carbon tax and the current extreme weather as proof that global warming shouldn't be a priority. ( -40 to -53 depending on wind chill)

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    My thicker relatives have latched onto the carbon tax and the current extreme weather as proof that global warming shouldn't be a priority. ( -40 to -53 depending on wind chill)

I don't suppose it would help to tell them that Australia is in a pretty crazy heatwave? Hitting 50C

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Pfft. Australia is supposed to be hot. It’s summer there.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Hot? Yes. 50C? Uh, that I'm less sure of.

@MorganV

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    So with the election expected in the fall (has there actually been an official announcement on this btw?), has anyone else noticed the MSM has gone into overdrive trying to paint Trudeau into an all-talk ineffective PM, our country as screwed, and the alt-right as our true and inevitable leaders?

Some of my favourite highlights are "MAXIME BERNIER'S NEW PARTY IS DOING GREAT FINANCIALLY", that was an actual headline in an article bragging the Popular Party's 300,000$ haul in donations (which only mentioned in passing the CPC and Liberals got over 10M$ and the NDP 3M$ in the same period), and "CANADA FALLS IN ANTI-CORRUPTION INDEX", the headline for our precipitous fall from 82 points to 81 points in the anti-corruption index, relative to the least corrupt country on Earth (Norway IIRC) at 88 points. Oh, and "CONSERVATIVES URGE TRUDEAU TO BALANCE BUDGET", which of course accidentally omitted to mention the budget was balanced by Chrétien and Martin and screwed up by Harper's 55B$ annual deficits.

A relatively well-functioning, drama-free government is terrible for the media. It's really better to have a controversial figure who is constantly making gaffes, to keep eyeballs fixed.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

A relatively well-functioning, drama-free government is terrible for the media. It's really better to have a controversial figure who is constantly making gaffes, to keep eyeballs fixed.

You would think that reporting on the inherent superiority of Canada, compared to the mess in the US, UK, and France, would be both dramatic and schadenfreude-tastic enough to provide sufficient level of eyeball glue to keep the investors happy, but here we are.

• Options

That never seemed to bother them with the Harper government. They liked to pretend it was all boring.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

Hot? Yes. 50C? Uh, that I'm less sure of.

@MorganV

Today's a pleasant 21C where I am. The weekend will get that up to high 30's.

Though, I do live in a cooler part of the country. According to (inverse) latitude, about Nevada/Virginia/Cheapeake Bay. It's also the same (inverse) latitude as Chicago, but bugger dealing with what they're dealing with.

It's probably less than a handful of days above 40C over Summer, for which I'm thankful for. But it's also exceedingly rare we get snow except in the mountains.

But in certain parts of the country, mid to high 40's during Summer isn't rare. And screw that noise.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Friendly waves
    It's always nice when a local of Southern-Hemisphere Canada pops into the Northern-Hemisphere Australia politics thread to comment on the weather~

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Trump already made that fucking tweet

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    God I wish we could go back and never use global warming as the term and have said Climate Change from the beginning

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    God I wish we could go back and never use global warming as the term and have said Climate Change from the beginning

Climate scientists did. It's the media that called it global warming.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

We would just have the same idiots spouting things like 'Florida still swamp, Sahara still desert, climate not changing'

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I suspect most here already know this but some leaked documents indicate the Ontario Government is trying to privatize healthcare in Ontario:

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/01/31/leaked-document-privatization-health-care/?fbclid=IwAR3I8GxDWkDlENhFfe0fIkwvg3FWWp6LWlJiOu0jkCeU8QZwr3igqgPc874

• Options
    The fact that the PC response is, "Sure, we did write this incriminating document that would do all of the things the opposition is claiming, but ...", is pretty astounding.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Speaking of the Ontario PC government, they're apparently considering getting rid of full-day Kindergarten, possibly as soon as Fall of 2020.
    https://www.thestar.com/politics/provincial/2019/01/30/premier-doug-ford-promises-all-day-kindergarten-next-fall-but-says-have-to-wait-before-decisions-are-made-on-its-future.html

This seems like a foolish move that would make noone happy.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    If they can undermine democracy enough and/or keep the center and left split for the next election, will it matter?

• Options
    So I'm wondering, what are people in the ROC thinking about this poll? Have you been talking about it at all or has it slipped under the radar?

A poll of 4000 canadians online found that Québec is seen as the least friendly and most hostile provice by people in all other provinces, and the one getting the most out of Confederation while chipping in the least. As you might guess, it's been on everyone's lips here in Québec since it came out, some people holding it as the first shot of a sovereignist renewal (I guess the election results weren't clear enough...). Legault brushes it off as the natural result of blocking the pipeline and receiving the lion's share of equalization (I think he's right). Personally I think online polls aren't worth the paper they're not printed on. But everyone has a hot take, and I'm curious if that extends outside our borders.

sig.gif
  • Options
    So I'm wondering, what are people in the ROC thinking about this poll? Have you been talking about it at all or has it slipped under the radar?

A poll of 4000 canadians online found that Québec is seen as the least friendly and most hostile provice by people in all other provinces, and the one getting the most out of Confederation while chipping in the least. As you might guess, it's been on everyone's lips here in Québec since it came out, some people holding it as the first shot of a sovereignist renewal (I guess the election results weren't clear enough...). Legault brushes it off as the natural result of blocking the pipeline and receiving the lion's share of equalization (I think he's right). Personally I think online polls aren't worth the paper they're not printed on. But everyone has a hot take, and I'm curious if that extends outside our borders.

If it helps, anecdotally, most people from my neck of the woods tend to be much more negative about Alberta than Quebec. :P

I wouldn't worry too much about this. As you said, it's an online poll. The results of those tend to be a bit ... skewed ... to say the least.

I will say, some of the numbers for Atlantic Canada's thoughts on Quebec are probably a bit skewed right now anyway. There are recent issues between Newfoundland and Quebec on energy transmission and the border, and a major shipyard in Quebec just published a big public statement that some shipbuilding in Halifax should be relocated to Quebec (this isn't the first time they've done this either), so people are angry about that right now.
    Then you have New Brunswick, where it honestly depends which part of the province respondents are from. Many in the anglophone parts of the province are just being dicks to francophones in general right now, including the ones in their own province. Then with the Acadian part of the province, their opinion of Quebec would probably be wildly different depending on what day you asked them. There's a very complicated relationship there.

I still feel that if they looked at it over a longer stretch of time, the Maritimes at least are generally fairly positive on Quebec (Newfoundland maybe less so. A lot of those issues are ongoing).

(I will say, my favorite indication from that survey is that Atlantic Canadians tend to like each other, and we more or less assume that the rest of the country likes us too. We're nothing if not optimistic).

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I've been to New Brunswick for a few days (Acadian Wedding in Richibuchto and Bay of Fundy jaunt) and drove around PEI for a day.

This Torontonian is a big fan of the East Coast, and I've hardly seen all of it!

(And the French in NB is so much more pleasant than in QC. Montreal anyway.)

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I think @TubularLuggage is correct in his characterization of Newfoundlanders opinions of Quebec. There is some pretty significant baggage around the Churchill deal, and honestly, our politicians like to fan the flames on that when it is to their advantage. It's stupid, but when you have been an after-thought province for so long and you are taken advantage of so clearly, it's understandable.

The Atlantic province view on Alberta seems funny, but also explainable considering how many of us have had to go up there to work during the 90s and 2000s. A good chunk of my graduating class left Labrador, and I would guess about half of those people ended up in Alberta at one time or another. While I didn't work in the oil patch, I ended up in Calgary for a couple years prior to moving overseas and then ultimately down to the States. I personally loath Calgary, but that's because I have some irrational baggage from my time there, but most of the people I know from home love it.

• Options
    Is there a particular reason they couldn't include the territories in that survey? Otherwise there's something fairly cyclic about a study concluding "Canada is rather fragmented" while not even including the whole country. <_<

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

If it helps, anecdotally, most people from my neck of the woods tend to be much more negative about Alberta than Quebec. :P

I wouldn't worry too much about this. As you said, it's an online poll. The results of those tend to be a bit ... skewed ... to say the least.

I will say, some of the numbers for Atlantic Canada's thoughts on Quebec are probably a bit skewed right now anyway. There are recent issues between Newfoundland and Quebec on energy transmission and the border, and a major shipyard in Quebec just published a big public statement that some shipbuilding in Halifax should be relocated to Quebec (this isn't the first time they've done this either), so people are angry about that right now.
    Then you have New Brunswick, where it honestly depends which part of the province respondents are from. Many in the anglophone parts of the province are just being dicks to francophones in general right now, including the ones in their own province. Then with the Acadian part of the province, their opinion of Quebec would probably be wildly different depending on what day you asked them. There's a very complicated relationship there.

I still feel that if they looked at it over a longer stretch of time, the Maritimes at least are generally fairly positive on Quebec (Newfoundland maybe less so. A lot of those issues are ongoing).

(I will say, my favorite indication from that survey is that Atlantic Canadians tend to like each other, and we more or less assume that the rest of the country likes us too. We're nothing if not optimistic).

While there are definitely tensions between anglophones and francophones in NB I think that's kind of a reductive comment.

• Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular

I'm a displaced Maritimer, and I definitely feel more negatively about Alberta than Quebec. When I go to Quebec, I feel like I am visiting a country that is friendly but different (similar to going to a European country). Whereas I've worked in Alberta, but it's like visiting your rich bratty cousin's house.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options

I think it's just that Quebec has a (not entirely undeserved) reputation for being a pain in the ass when it comes to getting all the provinces on board for something or the application of federal law. And it's also the Right's favourite whipping boy. This creates an undercurrent of "Quebec, ugh" that isn't really that bad overall (maybe on the right it's kinda bad) but is being exaggerated by the online poll.

• Options
    edited February 2019

While there are definitely tensions between anglophones and francophones in NB I think that's kind of a reductive comment.

You know, you're right. That was pretty reductive. Sorry about that. I definitely still have a bit of a sore spot from NB's last election, but that's no excuse for my unfair characterization there.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    Is there a particular reason they couldn't include the territories in that survey? Otherwise there's something fairly cyclic about a study concluding "Canada is rather fragmented" while not even including the whole country. <_<

I think just sample sizes (though I still would have liked to see the territories included). When they go more in depth in one of the survey sections they mention not including PEI specifically because they considered the sample size to be too small.

• Options
    Yeah, that part I understand. But PEI was at least an answer others could pick while the territories were outright omitted.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that part I understand. But PEI was at least an answer others could pick while the territories were outright omitted.

No one cares about us. :cry:

• Options
    I specifically do, hence my asking about it. ;P (Admittedly I was also born in Whitehorse, so it makes it hard to forget about the North)

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Cancelling full time kindergarten seems unnec
    Entriech wrote: »
    Speaking of the Ontario PC government, they're apparently considering getting rid of full-day Kindergarten, possibly as soon as Fall of 2020.
    https://www.thestar.com/politics/provincial/2019/01/30/premier-doug-ford-promises-all-day-kindergarten-next-fall-but-says-have-to-wait-before-decisions-are-made-on-its-future.html

This seems like a foolish move that would make noone happy.

It looks like he’s backtracking, because of the backlash. Not sure why he even considered it, seeing as generally nobody was against full time kindergarten.

I swear, the Liberals could have legislated a ‘don’t kick puppies’ law, Ford would repeal it.

• Options
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    It looks like he’s backtracking, because of the backlash. Not sure why he even considered it, seeing as generally nobody was against full time kindergarten.

I swear, the Liberals could have legislated a ‘don’t kick puppies’ law, Ford would repeal it.

That's exactly why he considered it. The alt-right-led conservative movement is just "we'll do whatever the opposite of the liberals did". And the hate-raging Rebel-watching uneducated old white men that form his base love it, and the conservative-supporting MSM cheer him on.

Watch his "backtracking" closely. Last time he "backtracked" was on funding the francophone university, and he "backtracked" from "we're never funding it" to "we'll fund it when the budget will be balanced", which is the same thing but said differently. It was just enough for the media to call it a victory and drop the story entirely without reflection or analysis.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

News for Quebec.... That's Acid not weed.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.