As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    There is a general rule in democratic governance where you don't play hardball and run your government on a "repeal the precious government in it's entirety" agenda. It's not good for the stability of the system. (see - the US as the main example these days)

When the previous government was actively trying to destroy our country and fuck over its people, then hell yeah you revert everything they did first chance you get. Stability is not a virtue when it means keeping bad things bad for the sake of not changing things for the better.

They are changing things for the better though. Stability is absolutely a virtue here. The alternative is you end up in the kind of ongoing democratic crisis the US is living with.

Or Ontario.

Eh. Ontario is more just living through a shitty government. That happens.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    There is a general rule in democratic governance where you don't play hardball and run your government on a "repeal the precious government in it's entirety" agenda. It's not good for the stability of the system. (see - the US as the main example these days)

When the previous government was actively trying to destroy our country and fuck over its people, then hell yeah you revert everything they did first chance you get. Stability is not a virtue when it means keeping bad things bad for the sake of not changing things for the better.

They are changing things for the better though. Stability is absolutely a virtue here. The alternative is you end up in the kind of ongoing democratic crisis the US is living with.

Or Ontario.

A shitty Government violating legal protections and good government principles to implement it's agenda without regard to it's long-term tenability.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

Or Ontario.

Righ, take Ontario. If the next Liberal government takes power and just decides to continue Ford's policies "for stability", or just makes a few minor cosmetic tweaks, what's the net result? The result is that Ford's Ontario is legitimized and made permanent, and becomes the new norm. And then the next OPC government will take power and veer hard-right from that, from the "lefty-libtard Ontario" that's just Doug Ford's Ontario, and things will just keep getting worse and worse.

Same thing at the Federal level. We should be going hard-left to get back to centrist policies, away from the hard-right Harper forced us into. Not staying the CPC course "for stability". We might as well have elected a fourth mandate of Harper if we were just going to get more of the same.

I voted for Trudeau because I wanted to turn things around. I wanted an end to Harper's policies. I didn't vote for Harper with nicer hair and better costumes.

sig.gif
  • Options

Or Ontario.

Righ, take Ontario. If the next Liberal government takes power and just decides to continue Ford's policies "for stability", or just makes a few minor cosmetic tweaks, what's the net result? The result is that Ford's Ontario is legitimized and made permanent, and becomes the new norm. And then the next OPC government will take power and veer hard-right from that, from the "lefty-libtard Ontario" that's just Doug Ford's Ontario, and things will just keep getting worse and worse.

Same thing at the Federal level. We should be going hard-left to get back to centrist policies, away from the hard-right Harper forced us into. Not staying the CPC course "for stability". We might as well have elected a fourth mandate of Harper if we were just going to get more of the same.

I voted for Trudeau because I wanted to turn things around. I wanted an end to Harper's policies. I didn't vote for Harper with nicer hair and better costumes.

The post that spawned this was Trudeau ending a Harper policy...

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

Or Ontario.

Oh yeah, we’ll totally survive Ford.

Except for the people who won’t.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Conservatives have no problems reversing shit they don't like as fast and as comprehensively as possible.
    The playbook changed in 2016. Being the adult in the room is irrelevant now.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »

Or Ontario.

No, it was Trudeau not reversing a Harper policy until he was forced by the SCC.

sig.gif
  • Options

Or Ontario.

No, it was Trudeau not reversing a Harper policy until he was forced by the SCC.
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    I believe the mandatory surcharge was not defended because the Liberals are currently working to repeal that section which was added in 2013 by the Conservatives:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/supreme-court-victims-surcharge-1.4946018

• Options

Or Ontario.

Caedwyr wrote: »
    I believe the mandatory surcharge was not defended because the Liberals are currently working to repeal that section which was added in 2013 by the Conservatives:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/supreme-court-victims-surcharge-1.4946018

Right, like you just quoted, he didn't end it. Over three years into his majority mandate, he was "working towards ending it", maybe, someday, so slowly that the SCC beat him to it. And this is a policy the SCC called "a cruel and unusual punishment" against the Canadian people; it's not a small legislative detail. And it's one that was also easy to fix, by just striking the fines from the record (like the SCC did) without affecting anything else in Canadian law. It was the low-hanging fruit of legislative action, and one with major benefits for Canada, and three years into his majority he hadn't come around to fucking doing it yet.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Question for you guys. My local MP is a god-botherer and likes to write garbage like this in local news.

If you can't be arsed to click the link, and I don't blame you, he's basically talking about how he likes Silent Night the best and then proceeds to quote the Bible to relate the Christmas story.

My question is: is there some sort of church-state thing here or am I just being annoyed about it because I've had a train wreck of a day and it's only 11:20 and I really dislike this guy?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Legislators can believe and say anything they want basically. It's up to you as a voter to get the idiots out.
    Laws on the other hand...

If he put forward a bill that the only christmas songs allowed on the radio have to be all about the Jesus then yeah, that's over the line.

If he says, "I love Jesus and you should too! I rely on my super faith to make super decisions" then sorry, you're out of luck and rightfully grumpy :)

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Goddamnit @Aridhol.

Logic like that is why I left the dumpster fire that is Reddit and returned to the loving arms of Penny Arcade, but every now and then a guy needs someone to validate and champion his righteous indignation regardless of its validity, y'know?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Hey fellow BCers, here's hoping the results of the referendum are for the end of FPTP.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Hey fellow BCers, here's hoping the results of the referendum are for the end of FPTP.

Show the rest of us how it's done! (please we need this)

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    Jacoby wrote: »

Show the rest of us how it's done! (please we need this)

I'm worried. I'm on the other side of the country and the alt-right anti-changing-FPTP fear-mongering hysteria spilled over all the way here. I can't imagine how bad it was in BC... I hope you guys pull it off despite it!

sig.gif
  • Options
    It’s surprising how little bullshit you have to listen to when you don’t have a Facebook account.

Give it a try, guys. You may end up happier and with more hope overall.

• Options
    I have just close friends and family on facebook and amazingly the crazy is few and far between. It's mostly just pictures and event bullshit.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Ignorance is bliss? :P
    I want to drop my Facebook account, but it's more because shady corporate giant than seeing how shit some people can be.

• Options
    Ignorance is bliss? :P
    I want to drop my Facebook account, but it's more because shady corporate giant than seeing how shit some people can be.

I wouldn't call it ignorance; I still keep up to date on the news through the internet. The bliss comes from being able to look at the news from sources I choose on my own and not feel like interlopers are trying to influence me through people I haven't seen in 20 years or, in the case of Reddit, have never met at all.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    That's fair - I didn't mean to sound demeaning. Simply, I don't expect I would get the same exposure to random alt-right outrage and misinformation if I was following sources I liked, is all.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    It’s surprising how little bullshit you have to listen to when you don’t have a Facebook account.

Give it a try, guys. You may end up happier and with more hope overall.

Ya I have to keep mine for work but I have it going just straight to workgroup for schedules and stuff.

I really notice the difference the odd day it doesn't go to the group page on it's own and I see some regular feed.

And those few seconds of feed I see before I find the group link again make me feel gross every time somehow

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    That's fair - I didn't mean to sound demeaning. Simply, I don't expect I would get the same exposure to random alt-right outrage and misinformation if I was following sources I liked, is all.

No offence taken; I knew what you meant.

It's nice not to have that exposure to random alt-right outrage and misinformation, let me tell ya. That shit was having a severely negative affect on my mental health.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

No offence taken; I knew what you meant.

It's nice not to have that exposure to random alt-right outrage and misinformation, let me tell ya. That shit was having a severely negative affect on my mental health.

I've honestly had no problem with that, because I just shut out all the insane people. I only hear about that stuff on FB when my far left friends get outraged by it.

• Options
    I wish I had your ability to do that. I used to be able to do that, but once it reached the point where I was deleting draft posts daily because they were too vitriolic I knew that I needed to take a step back and nuke everything from orbit. Facebook was easy - it's not difficult to make the decision to delete your account with that nest of vipers, but Reddit was a little harder because I enjoyed it there. Once I realized that I was going on Reddit just to kill time instead of reading or playing a game or doing literally anything else even though it was making me angry on an hourly basis it was a lot easier to just leave and lock the door behind me.

• Options
    I wish I had your ability to do that. I used to be able to do that, but once it reached the point where I was deleting draft posts daily because they were too vitriolic I knew that I needed to take a step back and nuke everything from orbit. Facebook was easy - it's not difficult to make the decision to delete your account with that nest of vipers, but Reddit was a little harder because I enjoyed it there. Once I realized that I was going on Reddit just to kill time instead of reading or playing a game or doing literally anything else even though it was making me angry on an hourly basis it was a lot easier to just leave and lock the door behind me.

I won't lie, I think the key to having a good Facebook experience is to have good friends. And if someone in your friend/family circle is a jerkwad, just cut them out.

I get that there are a lot of people that are reticent to do that, but from my perspective, there are a LOT of people in this world, and a LOT of them are cool fun people, and I'd much rather spend time with them than the jerkwads, regardless of whatever history or genetics we may share.

I just... don't give a shit if we share 1/16th of our DNA or we sat next to each other in 9th grade English. I'm living in 2018 and I gotta keep my life together and sane and happy in 2018 so if you're making me miserable, fuck off.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I killed reddit a while ago for myself and stopped going there, and it made my life like... extremely better.

Facebook I've also taken to the strategy of "If I have some connection with them that I don't want to completely lose I'll unfollow them. Anything else gets the unfriend" when someone posts any of the fascist dogwhistle stuff. Sure, it means that I'm connected to fewer high-school and uni friends (especially having moved, uh, countries), but it also means that facebook has basically just become all my leftist friends. Facebook ain't bad at that point.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    Facebook I've also taken to the strategy of "If I have some connection with them that I don't want to completely lose I'll unfollow them. Anything else gets the unfriend" when someone posts any of the fascist dogwhistle stuff. Sure, it means that I'm connected to fewer high-school and uni friends (especially having moved, uh, countries), but it also means that facebook has basically just become all my leftist friends. Facebook ain't bad at that point.

The scary thing is that all your right wing friends are probably doing the same thing, and have feeds full of their right-wing friends. This is legit a frightening thing with political discourse the world over because of social media- we only talk to people we fundamentally agree with, and it's polarizing as shit.

That said the only right-wing person on my feed is my 20 year old nephew. Who I try and smack across the head when he posts something too heinous but don't overdo it so much that he unfollows me like he did my wife.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »

The scary thing is that all your right wing friends are probably doing the same thing, and have feeds full of their right-wing friends. This is legit a frightening thing with political discourse the world over because of social media- we only talk to people we fundamentally agree with, and it's polarizing as shit.

That said the only right-wing person on my feed is my 20 year old nephew. Who I try and smack across the head when he posts something too heinous but don't overdo it so much that he unfollows me like he did my wife.

Here's the thing though.

I cannot imagine a facebook post that would make me go "Oh, huh, I guess you can earn a billion dollars" or "maybe those children did have it coming", right? And certainly I'm not going to take a Breitbart article at its word anytime soon. I imagine that any conservative people on facebook similarly won't read, you know, good sources. Because those sources disagree with them so they're "liberal rags" and "fake news". None of them are going to be converted to hardcore leftism by someone on facebook yelling about how labour creates wealth, or how maybe even poor people deserve to eat food sometimes. So at that point any interaction is just yelling slogans at each other. The only difference between me not being friends with them, and me being friends with them is whether I waste a bunch of time and emotional work, and they have another person who they dismiss anyways. I don't know what might change their opinions, but I know it won't be me on facebook.

So at that point, why not just make facebook a place that I enjoy? Why not have my tl filled with short videos of people doing kareoke and sharing pictures of cute pets? Twitter's where I go for my news and politics anyways, and normally I've seen about 400 takes on any news story before facebook gets it anyways, so why not just make facebook good?

The fascists or fascist-apologists can have their shitty facebook where they scream into the void about how gingerbread cookies are all MEN GODDAMMIT and I can vicariously go to a party for 10 seconds that looked fun.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I'm staring at this picture of a protestor in Alberta holding a sign that says, "-PIPE LINE IN NOW - TRUDEAU :mad: UT," and I'm... uh... but Trudeau is pro-pipeline? So much so that he bought the pipeline? Wut?

hippofant on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    This is why liberals should just stop trying to appeal to the right and go left, because the right has now been primed to believe any bullshit the bullshit factories spoonfeed them.

EDIT: Also hippo, I'm amused that the typo gave you an appropriate emoticon.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    In a grand display of 'what the fuck', pro-pipeline protesters have shown up to protest that the pipeline hasn't been built yet by... massively disrupting traffic in Edmonton, a largely pro-pipeline city.

Given that Alberta votes overwhelmingly Conservative federally, and that pipeline support is pretty high across Alberta, what do they think they're accomplishing here? What leverage do they think they're applying?

I just... this province.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    This is why liberals should just stop trying to appeal to the right and go left, because the right has now been primed to believe any bullshit the bullshit factories spoonfeed them.

EDIT: Also hippo, I'm amused that the typo gave you an appropriate emoticon.

I don't think they are pro-pipeline because they are trying to appeal to the right.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    In a grand display of 'what the fuck', pro-pipeline protesters have shown up to protest that the pipeline hasn't been built yet by... massively disrupting traffic in Edmonton, a largely pro-pipeline city.

Given that Alberta votes overwhelmingly Conservative federally, and that pipeline support is pretty high across Alberta, what do they think they're accomplishing here? What leverage do they think they're applying?

I just... this province.

I always ask.... How many pipelines did Harper build?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Friendly reminder that the world junior hockey championship games begin tonight (pre tournament).

Games are in Victoria and Vancouver this year.

Should be great hockey!

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »

I just... this province.

As It Happens was interviewing some schmoe who is advocating for an "Albexit" movement yesterday. Carol Off was curious how that was supposed to help them access tidewater. He didn't have an answer.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    5ADvlZp.jpg

sure you're landlocked on four sides, but you *do* have access to Lake Athabasca, which is now heavily polluted due to the oil sands and mining

• Options
    Last week, Canada repealed a number of so-called "zombie laws" that remained on the books after they were found to be unconstitutional, redundant, or just, well ... too old and weird.

One law that was scrubbed was Section 365 of the Canadian Criminal Code – that's the law that made it illegal to practice fake witchcraft.

"Every one who fraudulently (a) pretends to exercise or to use any kind of witchcraft, sorcery, enchantment or conjuration, (b) undertakes, for a consideration, to tell fortunes, or (c) pretends from his skill in or knowledge of an occult or crafty science to discover where or in what manner anything that is supposed to have been stolen or lost may be found...."

Despite the federal government's labeling that law as archaic and slated for erasure, an Ontario woman was charged last week with fraudulent witchcraft.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/19/678381891/ontario-woman-charged-with-fake-witchcraft-2-days-before-canada-scrapped-that-la?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2050

But how do you know that she isn't a witch?

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Last week, Canada repealed a number of so-called "zombie laws" that remained on the books after they were found to be unconstitutional, redundant, or just, well ... too old and weird.

One law that was scrubbed was Section 365 of the Canadian Criminal Code – that's the law that made it illegal to practice fake witchcraft.

"Every one who fraudulently (a) pretends to exercise or to use any kind of witchcraft, sorcery, enchantment or conjuration, (b) undertakes, for a consideration, to tell fortunes, or (c) pretends from his skill in or knowledge of an occult or crafty science to discover where or in what manner anything that is supposed to have been stolen or lost may be found...."

Despite the federal government's labeling that law as archaic and slated for erasure, an Ontario woman was charged last week with fraudulent witchcraft.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/19/678381891/ontario-woman-charged-with-fake-witchcraft-2-days-before-canada-scrapped-that-la?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2050

But how do you know that she isn't a witch?

She's heavier than a duck, obviously.

• Options
    She turned me into a newt!

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Nonono, real witchcraft is fine. It was only the fake witchcraft that was illegal.

This discussion has been closed.