As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Yeah, the intention is no religious symbols for anyone. It's french-style secularism to a t.

• ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    So Dougie is promising to build a 'less expensive, faster, and better technology' downtown relief line.
    The Star wrote:
    Earlier this week letters to the city from provincial officials revealed that the Ontario Conservative government wants to build its own version of the line using unspecified “alternative delivery methods” that it says would create a “truly unique transit artery spanning the city” and would be separate from the rest of the subway system.

So what does that mean? Gondolas? Toronto Ferry System? Or is it just...
    giphy-downsized.gif

8R7BtLw.png
    Apogee wrote: »
    So Dougie is promising to build a 'less expensive, faster, and better technology' downtown relief line.
    The Star wrote:
    Earlier this week letters to the city from provincial officials revealed that the Ontario Conservative government wants to build its own version of the line using unspecified “alternative delivery methods” that it says would create a “truly unique transit artery spanning the city” and would be separate from the rest of the subway system.

So what does that mean? Gondolas? Toronto Ferry System? Or is it just...
    giphy-downsized.gif

The key part here is actually:
    separate from the rest of the subway system

ie - it will be shit even if the technology wasn't a fantasy

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Yeah, the intention is no religious symbols for anyone. It's french-style secularism to a t.

And the result of that in France has been soft support of anti-Semitism and islamophobia. Which is why people are calling it a bad law that needs to be killed.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I wonder how much material harm Doug Ford will create for the people of Ontario until he's no longer in office.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I'll laugh for days if this is something to do with Musk and his tunnel-boring company, after a bunch of big US cities are pulling back from that.

• ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    I'll laugh for days if this is something to do with Musk and his tunnel-boring company, after a bunch of big US cities are pulling back from that.

Oh god, I hope not. I've read enough about that to decide that Musk is roughly equivalent to Lyle Lanley, except that occasionally his ideas actually work.

8R7BtLw.png
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Plenty of cities have a combination of buses, trams, and subways with a ticketing system that lets riders move seamlessly from one system to the other. Pretty sure that's not going be the end result of what Ford is talking about.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Hmm suspicious package downtown Calgary at the Nova office.

http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5076922

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    More layoffs in the auto sector

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5075834

Despite my feelings on the automobile industry its how my dad made a living

Theres also a bunch of factories all over ontario who supply the auto industry and their also losing out and turns out selling out labour isnt enough to keep the investors happy

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

Didn't Ford pick a fight with Tesla only to get slapped around by the courts a few months back for arbitrarily killing contracts?

I can't really see a Trumpist premier forgiving that kind of slight (even if it was self-inflicted).

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So since we're talking about economy type stuff. I don't talk about my job much on here, but I work for one of the big Canadian banks. We made north of 2 billion in profit in quarter one. Which missed investor expectations. Which is bad.

Now for Q2 there's a series of structural cuts being made, really anything, to make the books look better. We're "doing what we have to" to restore investor confidence.

That means, no more training. It means our contractors are being mandated to take more furlough days. It means a hiring freeze.

We're not a money pit. We're already operating at a deficit of labour, as we just went through a 10% IT contraction.

It isn't a good feel, in the company. Some of the worst feelings I've seen, really, and I've been here since the early 2000s.

Semi-related note, do NOT go to any 'financial advisor' provided by one of the banks. They are glorified salespeople. Hire folks that you PAY for proper information, or at the very least their profit is linked to your own. The banks are not anyone's friend.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Entriech wrote: »
    Semi-related note, do NOT go to any 'financial advisor' provided by one of the banks. They are glorified salespeople. Hire folks that you PAY for proper information, or at the very least their profit is linked to your own. The banks are not anyone's friend.

Oh, NOW you tell me.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    It is ridiculous that $2 billion in profit is considered a failure.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Entriech wrote: »
    So since we're talking about economy type stuff. I don't talk about my job much on here, but I work for one of the big Canadian banks. We made north of 2 billion in profit in quarter one. Which missed investor expectations. Which is bad.

The amount of "we've made record profits this quarter, but they are less record-y profits than we wanted to, therefore shareholder hatchets need to come out to punish us" happening this year in every other field out there is goddamned infuriating.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Fee for service advisor = good
    "free" advisor = bad.

Everything is headed for a contraction which was semi expected because credit was crazy easy to get but I think they slammed the brakes on too hard imo.

We'll see.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Its a viscous cycle, to be sure. And nobody likes to see the omelette being made. Unfortunately, slashing at the workforce is the quickest and easiest way influence a companies bottom line. It is very, very rarely the best way to do it. But it is the one that has the most immediate results to the bottom line.

And every single one of us out there, when we see our investments go down, gets a little upset about it. Then we call those advisors, paid or not, and complain that our families have lost money and that something should be done about this.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Its a viscous cycle, to be sure. And nobody likes to see the omelette being made. Unfortunately, slashing at the workforce is the quickest and easiest way influence a companies bottom line. It is very, very rarely the best way to do it. But it is the one that has the most immediate results to the bottom line.

And every single one of us out there, when we see our investments go down, gets a little upset about it. Then we call those advisors, paid or not, and complain that our families have lost money and that something should be done about this.

Eh, speak for yourself. Stocks go up and down. If you're calling your adviser or broker every time, you're probably stressing way too much about it.

I just leave my investments because they're all in funds that do well over time. If they go down, that just means I'm buying more shares for less.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    What do you people think about credit unions like meridian?

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

Eh, speak for yourself. Stocks go up and down. If you're calling your adviser or broker every time, you're probably stressing way too much about it.

I just leave my investments because they're all in funds that do well over time. If they go down, that just means I'm buying more shares for less.

It was supposed to be a metaphor about the macro effects on the market that massed amounts of investors have. Not the absolutely negligible effect of Joe Retiree shouting at his pension fund contact. The market moves and people react.

Even institutional investors react to every shudder the market makes. They are the ones who react so individuals like you and me can just sit there and watch the day to day blips on an ever upwards trending portfolio.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

It was supposed to be a metaphor about the macro effects on the market that massed amounts of investors have. Not the absolutely negligible effect of Joe Retiree shouting at his pension fund contact. The market moves and people react.

Even institutional investors react to every shudder the market makes. They are the ones who react so individuals like you and me can just sit there and watch the day to day blips on an ever upwards trending portfolio.

Though slashing the workforce isnt done for the long term investors,its done for the benefit of the c-suite and day traders at the expense of the long term investors, workforce, and overall company health.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    So there's a class-action being filed against the Ford government about the cancellation of the Basic Income Pilot.

It is important to note that the courts already dismissed a case aiming to overturn the decision. The courts ruled that essentially the government can do what it wants with its own money. I'm not a lawyer, but I believe this is more an attempt to recoup damages for those who made drastic financial decisions based on the assumption that they would be receiving a certain level of income. Emotional distress, psychological damages etc.

Who knows if it will be successful. I'm not particularly optimistic given Ford's tendency to wriggle out of any sort of responsibility for his actions, but if anyone was involved in the program or knows someone who was, I'm sure this is of interest to you.

Specifically, to be a member of the class you need to have actually received payments from the government (I believe there was a Control Group that was enrolled in the program but did not actually receive government payments. Those participants are not considered members of the class for purposes of this lawsuit).

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    People are talking about the Wilson-Raybould recording and saying that it proves the PM was threatening her job, but I just read the transcript and don't see that? Like, I see Wilson-Raybould bring up the Saturday Night Massacre, but it seems a bit of a non-sequitur to me. I dunno, I've only read the transcript, so listening to the call might be different.

Considering how it's being reported, the transcript appears pretty vanilla to me. Like, I think Wilson-Raybould was right in that her stepping in would have terrible optics for the PMO, and how incompetent the Liberal handling of this has been, especially from Trudeau, but again, this is some weak ass corruption. This is the shit I expect from craven politicians. This is not surprising me or shocking me, just more disappointment in our current administration.

But I'm just rolling my eyes so fucking hard at our news media.

People are talking about the Wilson-Raybould recording and saying that it proves the PM was threatening her job, but I just read the transcript and don't see that? Like, I see Wilson-Raybould bring up the Saturday Night Massacre, but it seems a bit of a non-sequitur to me. I dunno, I've only read the transcript, so listening to the call might be different.

Considering how it's being reported, the transcript appears pretty vanilla to me. Like, I think Wilson-Raybould was right in that her stepping in would have terrible optics for the PMO, and how incompetent the Liberal handling of this has been, especially from Trudeau, but again, this is some weak ass corruption. This is the shit I expect from craven politicians. This is not surprising me or shocking me, just more disappointment in our current administration.

Yeah this is me pretty much 100%

I read the transcripts and it just seems she was a stubborn and didn't give a shit about the political implications which, as a minister, is pretty ridiculous to me.
    Like, look in the mirror and ask yourself how you are in the job you are, it's entirely a result of a political exercise (elections).

I admire her integrity right up until the point that she ushers in a way more shitty government for anyone but white dudes.

Finally I'll say again what I said before. If this was so egregious that she felt confident and strongly that it was wrong she's a minister, write a Fucking memo to the PM, don't hide behind your lackeys and have hand wringing side conversations.

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    No one sees the scandal in going to bat so hard as to hurt your own for the likes of SNC-Lavalin? It hasn't just been the media that's being ongoing in this story.

steam_sig.png
    No one sees the scandal in going to bat so hard as to hurt your own for the likes of SNC-Lavalin? It hasn't just been the media that's being ongoing in this story.

Hurting your own is defined as losing several thousand jobs in a place you absolutely cannot lose votes.

One, two or ten ministers is immaterial when you lose government in the next election.
    Progressive laws don't get passed and you sure as shit are not going to get significant amounts of women in cabinet or 4.5 billion dollars for indigenous affairs with Scheer as PM.

Its a clear example of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I imagine JWR will feel great having brought down the liberal government over a scandal that hurt zero working Canadians.

Of course I do. I said so in my post.

But the way this is being talked about is if this is the worst thing a politician has ever done. I had a guy a work saying people should be going to prison over this. Should there? Were laws broken? The news sure makes it seem like it.

But the way this is being talked about is if this is the worst thing a politician has ever done. I had a guy a work saying people should be going to prison over this. Should there? Were laws broken? The news sure makes it seem like it.

JWR specifically said in her "testimony" that this didn't rise to the level of criminality in her opinion.
    All the people calling for RCMP investigations are doing it solely to score political points.

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

On the radio yesterday I heard the news presenter say "...the Trudeau government pressuring Wilson-Raybould to stop the prosecution of SNC-Lavalin..." and that seemed a little overstated to me.

I guess it's technically true: the prosecution would have stopped (because under a DPA the company just negotiates a deal with prosecutors). It sounds so much worse than "...the Trudeau government pressuring Wilson-Raybould to use a different resolution mechanism..."

LordSolarMacharius on
    Aridhol wrote: »

JWR specifically said in her "testimony" that this didn't rise to the level of criminality in her opinion.
    All the people calling for RCMP investigations are doing it solely to score political points.

That's the craziest shit. Like, never mind the contents, the fact that she fucking taped a conversation with the fucking Privy Council Clerk in the first place is nuts. That's like red alert all phasers to full power full bore whistle-blowing action. And then she's like "but it's not actually a crime"? Then what in the fuck are you doing? Even not considering the political implications here, the very action is kinda nuts.

Considering the political implications here is just flabbergastingly stupid. And basically continues to paint the picture imo that the whole problem here was they brought in people who were clearly too naive to be players in politics. Just a terrible hiring decision all around. These people have no political instincts at all.

• BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Yeah, the biggest thing to me is that this makes all the Liberals involved look like rank amateurs. Nothing looks actually criminal, but this entire scandal is entirely self-inflicted. Even if she is indeed acting solely out of selfless devotion to law, what exactly does JRW expect to be the ideal outcome of this? That we get a PM even more devoted to the rule of a law than Trudeau? And who the hell would that be? Trudeau may be amateurish, but of all the PMs in the recent past, he seems to be the most polly-anna-ish about governance. Instead she's increasingly looking like someone who would grab a hot element purely out of spite if told "Don't grab that, its hot!" and then throw a tantrum when she gets kicked out of the kitchen for not listening.

Blarghy wrote: »
    Yeah, the biggest thing to me is that this makes all the Liberals involved look like rank amateurs. Nothing looks actually criminal, but this entire scandal is entirely self-inflicted. Even if she is indeed acting solely out of selfless devotion to law, what exactly does JRW expect to be the ideal outcome of this? That we get a PM even more devoted to the rule of a law than Trudeau? And who the hell would that be? Trudeau may be amateurish, but of all the PMs in the recent past, he seems to be the most polly-anna-ish about governance. Instead she's increasingly looking like someone who would grab a hot element purely out of spite if told "Don't grab that, its hot!" and then throw a tantrum when she gets kicked out of the kitchen for not listening.

She looks like an idiot playing the purity testing game. Someone willing to burn it all down for her own personal code of honour, regardless of the consequences.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    The fact that she's helping to burn down the Liberal party from the inside, and then has also stated that she intends to run as a Liberal in the upcoming election. It's just ... what the hell are you doing? How can you possibly be this short sighted?

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Blarghy wrote: »

She looks like an idiot playing the purity testing game. Someone willing to burn it all down for her own personal code of honour, regardless of the consequences.

To anyone who actually gets informed about the story, yes. To anyone who relies on the MSM, she looks like a hero standing up to the evil corrupt power-crazed Justin Trudeau.

Our MSM are dead-set against Trudeau. They have always been - in 2015 they had written him off as a vapid pretty-boy and tried to laugh his campaign down, and they spent the past four years grunbling against him without ever being able to get something to stick. JRW has just handed him their first piece of red meat.

sig.gif
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Philpott and JWR have to go, I can't tell if they're malicious, stupid or naive but they definitely shouldn't be in the liberal machine anymore.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Philpott and JWR have to go, I can't tell if they're malicious, stupid or naive but they definitely shouldn't be in the liberal machine anymore.

Unfortunately the backlash from firing them now would be worse. The MSM will have a field day with "fake-feminist fires women who stand up to him" and "heroic whistleblowers fired by liberal tyrant" and other similar objective fact-based headlines.

sig.gif
    Yeah, they can stay or leave on their own accord. No need to continue infighting all the way through the election.

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Well, considering how she has been treated by her own party through all this, to say little of how this very thread is clutching their pearls over her conducting herself with integrity to the detriment of the Liberal party, JWR should probably consider flying NDP's flag on Vancouver Island in the next election at the very least.

Her chances wouldn't be bad alongside other NDP Vancouver Island ridings rather than doing Vancouver-Granville as a Liberal, I bet ... or would Vancouver-Granville want to have a go turning orange I wonder, NDP did pick up a few percentage points there last election she won in 2015. Hard to tell though, the riding was recently drawn, not much amalgamated history to go on for the riding that I have been able to find.

steam_sig.png
  • CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    Well, considering how she has been treated by her own party through all this, to say little of how this very thread is clutching their pearls over her conducting herself with integrity to the detriment of the Liberal party, JWR should probably consider flying NDP's flag on Vancouver Island in the next election at the very least.

Considering how she's been handling things (which certainly hasn't always been with integrity), she's been treated remarkably gently.

Her chances wouldn't be bad alongside other NDP Vancouver Island ridings rather than doing Vancouver-Granville as a Liberal, I bet ... or would Vancouver-Granville want to have a go turning orange I wonder, NDP did pick up a few percentage points there last election she won in 2015. Hard to tell though, the riding was recently drawn, not much amalgamated history to go on for the riding that I have been able to find.

I don't see how she's conducted herself with integrity. I'm not even sure taping her conversations with what is, in one sense, her own clients is actually ethical or maybe even legal, depending on how the relationship is defined.

This discussion has been closed.