As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-proposed-arena-deal-1.5221185

all this while they are putting the Green line transit on hold for "economic concerns" (spearheaded by a NIMBY oil billionaire FYI) , cutting business taxes and putting through a slash and burn budget...

As far as arena deals, that doesn't seem awful? Granted, it's not as good as having the Flames build their damn building themselves, but I suppose it could have been worse? It also depends on how much teeth that clause to keep the Flames from moving for the next 35 years actually has. Moving the team if they don't get what they want is usually the bluff that the owners of these teams keep playing if they get bored with their arena in about 20 years.

Or we could not finance multi billionaires?

Not as bad as it could have been is pretty much everyone take and it's mind boggling. How about nothing? They want to put our green line on hold for lacks of funds but suddenly we can finance Ken King the billionaire ? Average price for flames tickets are just sub 100$ and out of the reach of most people that live here?

Edit: Not trying to sound like an ass I just really don't understand anyone who wants this... Pro sports are a scam and they keep fleecing the cities for free $$$

You are not wrong, ideally giving them nothing and telling them build it yourself is the correct solution. But we don't live in an ideal world....

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

all this while they are putting the Green line transit on hold for "economic concerns" (spearheaded by a NIMBY oil billionaire FYI) , cutting business taxes and putting through a slash and burn budget...

As far as arena deals, that doesn't seem awful? Granted, it's not as good as having the Flames build their damn building themselves, but I suppose it could have been worse? It also depends on how much teeth that clause to keep the Flames from moving for the next 35 years actually has. Moving the team if they don't get what they want is usually the bluff that the owners of these teams keep playing if they get bored with their arena in about 20 years.

Not as bad as it could have been is pretty much everyone take and it's mind boggling. How about nothing? They want to put our green line on hold for lacks of funds but suddenly we can finance Ken King the billionaire ? Average price for flames tickets are just sub 100$ and out of the reach of most people that live here?

Edit: Not trying to sound like an ass I just really don't understand anyone who wants this... Pro sports are a scam and they keep fleecing the cities for free $$$

You are not wrong, ideally giving them nothing and telling them build it yourself is the correct solution. But we don't live in an ideal world....

I have a few good friends that will be loosing their jobs at the city because of the deep cuts they are making.... This puts me in a pretty disingenuous mood for public spending one something that lot's of Calgarians can't afford to use. Hell, I make 6 figures and can't justify bringing the family to see a game.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular

I have a few good friends that will be loosing their jobs at the city because of the deep cuts they are making.... This puts me in a pretty disingenuous mood for public spending one something that lot's of Calgarians can't afford to use. Hell, I make 6 figures and can't justify bringing the family to see a game.

Losing a sports team to another city, especially a hockey team, would likely immediately lose Nenshi a huge amount of support. Though you might not care for pro sports, a lot of people in and around the city love it.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    That arena cost more then the teams net worth

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    yea... this doesn't seem much different at all from 2017 deal. How much would CSEC be making off this deal in the 35 years compared to the city?
    According to Forbes gate receipts for the Flames alone was 78,810,000 CAD for the 2017-2018 season. https://www.forbes.com/teams/calgary-flames/#205f935c1905
    So about 1,922,195.12 per game (41 home games in that season)

Someone could likely look at the profit report for the team and get some interesting numbers.

What are the terms that the Flames have for the Saddledome?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    There's a lot of sponsorship at arenas as well as concessions, so that number is likely much higher per game.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Nova_C wrote: »
    There's a lot of sponsorship at arenas as well as concessions, so that number is likely much higher per game.

and we arent even including concerts and other events, let alone that a bigger stadium would likely blow away those numbers (sure more costs too)

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The worst part re:Calgary is our last municipal election was fought along the lines of 'no transit, yay arena, budget cuts and tax cuts vs transit, no arena, no budget cuts and and no tax cuts' and nominally the first side lost and yet here we are.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    The worst part re:Calgary is our last municipal election was fought along the lines of 'no transit, yay arena, budget cuts and tax cuts vs transit, no arena, no budget cuts and and no tax cuts' and nominally the first side lost and yet here we are.

yea.. green line on hold, tax break for businesses, big budget cuts to pay for those breaks and a new arena deal that is still pretty damn similar to the old deal.. Though I guess Nenshi winning did delay this stuff from happening for awhile.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

"Maxime Bernier vows to cut immigration by 50% and build a 'border fence' if elected PM"

https://twitter.com/i/events/1154392892904894464

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

"Maxime Bernier vows to cut immigration by 50% and build a 'border fence' if elected PM"

Will America pay for it?

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Will America pay for it?

These chuckleheads know we have one of the lowest birth rates of the G7 and a negative population growth without immigration, yeah?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Will America pay for it?

These chuckleheads know we have one of the lowest birth rates of the G7 and a negative population growth without immigration, yeah?

If you tell that to an anti immigration advocate you have like a 50/50 chance they'll start going on about "white genocide"

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I don't even see what difference it makes if a person was born here or elsewhere. They work, they pay taxes, they spend money. They are part of the economy like anyone else.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Will America pay for it?

If you tell that to an anti immigration advocate you have like a 50/50 chance they'll start going on about "white genocide"

The other 50% is a paraphrase of "white genocide". Basically, Bernier want the vote of those that agree with the Conservatives, but believe they are using too many dogwhistles.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

Will America pay for it?

Canadian federal conservatives both upper- and lowercase are good vassals of the US first and foremost, so Bernier would probably sooner die than suggest any Canadian policy that imposed the slightest cost or inconvenience on Washington.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

Will America pay for it?

Canadian federal conservatives both upper- and lowercase are good vassals of the US first and foremost, so Bernier would probably sooner die than suggest any Canadian policy that imposed the slightest cost or inconvenience on Washington.

They also want to be Republicans, so I guess Mexico will somehow pay for it.

(Mexico will not pay for it.)

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I kind of want one of the other parties to promise to double immigration just out of spite.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    The most damning part of the whole thing is that he wants to take the money saved on cutting immigration and put it into CSIS and the RCMP to enable them to do better background checks on the remaining candidates, and give them more leeway to turn people away.
    Dude, fuck off. Stop trying to invent immigrant terrorists while also asking for votes from white ones.
    argh-groan

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    But feel free to keep on splitting the right wing vote.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Mississauga/Brampton seems like a weird place to make your anti-immigration speech:

d8cutSv.png
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississauga#Demographics

58yVsyU.png
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brampton

the amount of first and second-generation immigrants here are higher than almost anywhere else in the country

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

This always seems like a good idea until the far right nonsense is normalized by constant media presence, the leaders get a higher public profile, the fringe party fails and is reabsorbed by the middle right party, and the newly empowered fringe wing drags the party further right

It might win the left one election, but overall it's a bad sign for the ideology of the electorate and their representatives, IMO

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Mississauga/Brampton seems like a weird place to make your anti-immigration speech:

d8cutSv.png

58yVsyU.png

the amount of first and second-generation immigrants here are higher than almost anywhere else in the country

He knows those votes are lost, but this way he can say he went into the lion's den with his message.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular

d8cutSv.png

58yVsyU.png

He knows those votes are lost, but this way he can say he went into the lion's den with his message.

There are a surprisingly high amount of first/second gen immigrants who are very much against more immigration. It's literally the 'fuck you, got mine' viewpoint.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

This always seems like a good idea until the far right nonsense is normalized by constant media presence, the leaders get a higher public profile, the fringe party fails and is reabsorbed by the middle right party, and the newly empowered fringe wing drags the party further right

It might win the left one election, but overall it's a bad sign for the ideology of the electorate and their representatives, IMO

It happened with Reform and the Conservatives, IIRC.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

It happened with Reform and the Conservatives, IIRC.

Happened in Alberta with the Wildrose and PCs.

The UCP is just the Wildrose, rebranded, but people who've voted PC all their lives will -insist- it's not true.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Apogee wrote: »

d8cutSv.png

58yVsyU.png

There are a surprisingly high amount of first/second gen immigrants who are very much against more immigration. It's literally the 'fuck you, got mine' viewpoint.

This is very true, you can't treat "immigrants" as a monolithic population. They've (read: my father for example) have brought over their own biases and inter-group conflicts. Light skin vs. dark skin, Muslim vs. Hindu, etc. I've definitely heard plenty of Hindus be uncomfortable with Muslims.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
  • Options
    I was very confused for a minute before realizing I was expecting a Manatee article. <_<

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I'm spoiling this tweet from Cody Payant, PPC candidate, because...well, if you click you'll see. It's not NSFW, it's just...ugh.

Okay, here's a hint: the PPC campaign slogan is just gonna be the 14 words, isn't it?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Lol the watermark. Is that a flipped getty watermark? Did they just flip the image?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Lol the watermark. Is that a flipped getty watermark? Did they just flip the image?

They also photoshopped the eyes.

The originals are brown.

Yep.

• Options
    Can't believe I looked this up and have to say it, but it looks like the original creator of the photo did all of it, and he's just posting her picture (not even a free download version to remove the watermark =_= ).

The guy is a problem and I strongly dislike him, but apparently I can't condemn him for the image itself. :/

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

The originals are brown.

Yep.

And made the skin whiter

:so_raven:
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »

The originals are brown.

Yep.

And made the skin whiter

That will always happen when you lazily blend it with a white and blue background

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    White nationalism is a disease and I hate how it is spreading

• Options
    The Beaverton again, pretty on point with the recent freedom of the press issue in NB;
    https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/07/new-brunswick-in-chaos-as-irvings-demand-entire-population-stand-on-one-foot/
    A choice quote;
    The order was published in several newspapers, which the Irvings own, and was then echoed by New Brunswick premier Blaine Higgs, whom the Irvings also own.
    Isn't The Beaverton supposed to be satire?

I visited some relatives a couple weeks ago at their cottage just outside of Bouctouche, NB. Lovely town (I've been there plenty of times. It really is a great spot). Though a tad ominous on the heels of that whole political cartoonist kerfuffle. Let's just say at one point we were literally on Irving Boulevard.

• Options
    Heard about this on CBC radio this morning

http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5232828

You will have to excuse me if I don’t find the pleas from oil and gas CEOs to be all that convincing. Yes oil and is gas is important I’m in Calgary and you can’t escape it but I think all the political leaders have been doing their best to make sure O&G doesn’t hurt too much. NDP government here were working to get the pipeline built and to get ahead of the carbon tax, Federal liberals want the pipelines built and the carbon tax is perhaps the least harsh action they can take on emission controls (also it’s not nearly enough)

They of course bitch about BC but since BC would be getting the brunt of any ecological disaster I think they should have a huge say it what goes through the province.

Don’t really need to say that the Cons are pro oil and gas even though they did sweet fuck all to get pipelines built when they were in power in Alberta/Federal.

As eyerolling as JT can be I’ll likely vote for them in the upcoming election or if the NDP actually start having a presence maybe them. I can only hope that the conservative splitters break up the conservative vote. Not that it will matter much in Alberta.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Heard about this on CBC radio this morning

http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5232828

You will have to excuse me if I don’t find the pleas from oil and gas CEOs to be all that convincing. Yes oil and is gas is important I’m in Calgary and you can’t escape it but I think all the political leaders have been doing their best to make sure O&G doesn’t hurt too much. NDP government here were working to get the pipeline built and to get ahead of the carbon tax, Federal liberals want the pipelines built and the carbon tax is perhaps the least harsh action they can take on emission controls (also it’s not nearly enough)

They of course bitch about BC but since BC would be getting the brunt of any ecological disaster I think they should have a huge say it what goes through the province.

Don’t really need to say that the Cons are pro oil and gas even though they did sweet fuck all to get pipelines built when they were in power in Alberta/Federal.

As eyerolling as JT can be I’ll likely vote for them in the upcoming election or if the NDP actually start having a presence maybe them. I can only hope that the conservative splitters break up the conservative vote. Not that it will matter much in Alberta.

Honestly, the Liberals dropped the ball on the issues that I cared about most, in terms of refugees, the safe third country act, barely surviving NAFTA and making heavy concessions to do so, and ditching electoral reform after ten minutes

They are going to have to do some hard selling for me to not feel like I'd rather give my vote to the NDP, even if Singh isn't as magnetic a leader as I'd hoped, and "isn't Conservative" isn't enough to do it for me at this point, as their policy on more than a few things blurred that line substantially for me

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    BC (and any province) should not have any say in matter important to the country as a whole.

The federal government should have absolute authority over energy / infrastructure projects that are in the national interest.

I'm a bc resident and voted NDP provincially and liberal federally.

After the Horgan show here I'll not be voting ndp next time.

This discussion has been closed.