As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Daimar wrote: »
    Is NB shrinking more due to lower birth rates and higher death rates or people leaving the province for work/education/other opportunities?

Can't find anything definitive, but the share of population who are recent immigrants (last 5 years) and share of population who are immigrants in total is only lower for Nunavut and Newfoundland (yes even NWT is higher), I expect that easy emigration to Quebec/Ontario jobs is a drain

Phyphor on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Is NB shrinking more due to lower birth rates and higher death rates or people leaving the province for work/education/other opportunities?

Can't find anything definitive, but the share of population who are recent immigrants (last 5 years) and share of population who are immigrants in total is only lower for Nunavut and Newfoundland (yes even NWT is higher), I expect that easy emigration to Quebec/Ontario jobs is a drain

NB just doesn't have much going on in terms of growth industries afaik. And not a lot to recommend for most people other then that either.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

Part of it is definitely a compounding problem where some of the younger population have left for work (to Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, out west), leaving an aging population, which makes it less desirable for younger people to stick around ... and so on. Then when people immigrate to the region, it's mostly either to Nova Scotia because it's bigger, or PEI because it's small and charming.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I grew up in rural Nova Scotia, but wound up going to New Brunswick for post-secondary. Honestly, I genuinely loved Fredericton. It's still where I've felt the most "at home" in of the places I've lived. But after my six years there and a boat load of student debt, I had to move back to Halifax and move in with my dad because there was basically no industry for the things I was educated towards. Of the friends I made there, only a handful remain, and they're all people that grew up in one suburban area and bought houses in the same place so they're still right beside family.
    My partner is from Moncton/Dieppe. We met through happenstance in Halifax, and she was living in Montreal when we got together.

I love New Brunswick for a lot of reasons, but yeah, it's just fucking hard to live there.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    NDP still in rough shape

https://www.cbc.ca/1.5263840

The NDP is facing massive gaps in its candidate list as the official start of the election campaign draws near.

The party says it has found 175 people to run under the orange banner in the upcoming election — meaning nearly half of the 338 ridings in Canada don't have a New Democrat candidate yet.

According to the NDP's website, the party has yet to nominate a single candidate in New Brunswick, P.E.I., Nunavut or the Northwest Territories.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Aridhol wrote: »
    NDP still in rough shape

https://www.cbc.ca/1.5263840

The NDP is facing massive gaps in its candidate list as the official start of the election campaign draws near.

The party says it has found 175 people to run under the orange banner in the upcoming election — meaning nearly half of the 338 ridings in Canada don't have a New Democrat candidate yet.

According to the NDP's website, the party has yet to nominate a single candidate in New Brunswick, P.E.I., Nunavut or the Northwest Territories.

Hmm, maybe I should put myself forward and hope for something insane to happen.

EDIT: Damn, already someone running here.

shryke on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Maybe the NDP just shouldn’t run in ridings they apparently don’t care about?

Less vote splitting definitely helps the thing I’m rooting for- a Liberal/NDP coalition minority government.

Fake edit: Like it’s fine if they have an actual candidate eventually to run in the riding. But if you’re going to stick some random person with no real shot of winning the riding in there just to say you have a candidate everywhere... maybe dont?

• Options
    edited August 2019
    While not running candidates in NB and PEI won't really matter (their best in NB is one or two seats, and they've never won a seat in PEI, while both provincial parties may as well be nonexistent), that's still pretty shocking. Low 300s would be one thing. Not even 200 though? What the hell happened?

I mean, this is good for Trudeau, but it's also a good way for the NDP to swap places with the Greens. It just seems sloppy.
    It's especially surreal when my riding in NS could realistically flip back to the NDP.

Edit: Thinking about it, there is certainly the possibility that they have a lot of candidates nearly vetted but not announced yet. Still, not great optics.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    In more candidate selection news, shockingly, some people in the riding of Central Nova (Nova Scotia) aren't happy with an Alberta resident running there for the cons.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/conservatives-election-campaign-george-canyon-central-nova-1.5258314
    Much of the opposition to it is from other conservatives who vied for the nomination. To his credit, George Canyon has said he is willing to step aside for another candidate. Though the riding association has said they're sticking with him.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    Fake edit: Like it’s fine if they have an actual candidate eventually to run in the riding. But if you’re going to stick some random person with no real shot of winning the riding in there just to say you have a candidate everywhere... maybe dont?

Remember what happened in 2011? If the NDP hadn't nominated all those placeholder candidates in Quebec, they never would've become the official opposition. There's always a chance one of the other parties will suffer an unexpected collapse in support.

• Options
    The basic facts are that you can't win seats if you don't have anyone running in the ridings. You can also lose out on vote totals (not sure that matters anymore since harper though).

The article seems to imply that this is due to very strict or long vetting from the NDP but it's still a little embarrassing.

I live in an NDP stronghold and it's a 99.99% chance my guys winning again so I was really actually shocked at the article.

• Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    I'm not sure it's really anything to be embarrassed about, since there's still plenty of time before the election. Until 2015, I don't think parties generally had a full slate of candidates before the writs were dropped because the election could happen at any time without warning.

• Options
    having just over half of your potential candidates announced and letting people know less than 60 days before an election (probably) is embarrassing.
    Even potential candidates are complaining about it as you can see in the article.

To me it comes across as a party that is disorganized and not ready. I don't think they know where they are right now with the Liberals leftward move (on a number of things) from last election.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    In more candidate selection news, shockingly, some people in the riding of Central Nova (Nova Scotia) aren't happy with an Alberta resident running there for the cons.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/conservatives-election-campaign-george-canyon-central-nova-1.5258314
    Much of the opposition to it is from other conservatives who vied for the nomination. To his credit, George Canyon has said he is willing to step aside for another candidate. Though the riding association has said they're sticking with him.

I like that one of the party members who missed out on the nomination apparently wanted to run for a federal seat over education and health care. Way to constitution, buddy.

But yeah, that sure is a good look for the CPC, especially with the noises to the effect of "nobody else was interested in the position" they were making when they first named Canyon - especially that kind of parachute pick in that riding, of all the places. I'm sure a country singer who's prioritizing his touring schedule during his campaign is really focused on what's good for the nation.

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    El Skid wrote: »

Remember what happened in 2011? If the NDP hadn't nominated all those placeholder candidates in Quebec, they never would've become the official opposition. There's always a chance one of the other parties will suffer an unexpected collapse in support.

The US should have taught us that lesson too. Run someone everywhere. Build the brand.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Yep. If you aren't running someone everywhere you can as a federal party, you're giving people in the overlooked ridings the impression that your party doesn't care about them. And that's the correct impression for those people to have.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Super curious if the greens leapfrog the oranges sooner rather than later.

Also, thank you Andrew Scheer for your totally not tanking talk on abortion.

Nosf on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Nosf wrote: »
    Also, thank you Andrew Scheer for your totally not tanking talk on abortion.

It's been headlines for a week here in Québec. The province's lieutenant has been recruiting members by promising the party won't oppose aboriton rights or reopen the debate, meaning that backbenchers won't be allowed to bring forward anti-women bills. Scheer corrected him that backbenchers can bring forward any bills they want, and the party's promise is that he will not oppose abortion rights or bring forward such a bill and will personally vote against any anti-abortion bills. Which is completely meaningless as far as promises go, but did earn him a red "do not vote for" mark by some women-hating league whose name I forget.

EDIT:
    The statement from that league is one I won't forget. "We evaluate all candidates, be them Conservative, PPC, or Christian Heritage party". Well that certainly positions them on the political checkboard...

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    They see the americans winning that fight and think they can make it fly up here I suppose. The back benchers aren't subtle, but Scheer and Harper (moreso) seem to want to play the long game on it, and whittle it down.

• Options
    They see the americans winning that fight and think they can make it fly up here I suppose. The back benchers aren't subtle, but Scheer and Harper (moreso) seem to want to play the long game on it, and whittle it down.

Harper, yes. Scheer I doubt has any real control over his backbenchers. If the Cons win I expect to see regular anti-abortion bills come up, with Scheer making nothing more than a meek "tsk tsk" against them for the cameras.

sig.gif
  • Options
    My favourite cartoonist is Côté in Québec City, and this morning he is on point.

Translation of the bubble: "there are no anti-abortion MPs in my team."

69370670_2276144625842074_8042209966930526208_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQm_HbFDOkPYItY_A0a2nxzt9oHygmLiG1SIu0_lal-_5eAnzPoFiCzumMgmJUZnFqo&_nc_ht=scontent.fyhu2-1.fna&oh=216f662c7aed75c14444bb4853901544&oe=5DCB971F

sig.gif
  • Options
    Holy shit

EKOS is a pollster/research Co.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    According to EKOS' latest figures, the Conservatives are trailing the Liberals by 16 points among Canadian women (43 to 27 per cent), and are leading among men by 8 points (40 to 32). This double-digit gap of support among women should be especially concerning for Andrew Scheer and his team. (Support by gender has a MOE of ±5%, 19 times out of 20). Other recent polls have also shown a significant gender gap between Liberals and Conservatives, so this trend is certainly not new.

Well that sure is one big deficit among women.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    According to EKOS' latest figures, the Conservatives are trailing the Liberals by 16 points among Canadian women (43 to 27 per cent), and are leading among men by 8 points (40 to 32). This double-digit gap of support among women should be especially concerning for Andrew Scheer and his team. (Support by gender has a MOE of ±5%, 19 times out of 20). Other recent polls have also shown a significant gender gap between Liberals and Conservatives, so this trend is certainly not new.

Yes that is excellent. Also if you put Scheer's face on screen for more than 2 minutes and listen to the garbage coming out it turns off a lot more than women.

Beyond the Conservative policies he's just not a likeable guy. I think CPC will not have a good time in the debates.

• Options

Yes that is excellent. Also if you put Scheer's face on screen for more than 2 minutes and listen to the garbage coming out it turns off a lot more than women.

Beyond the Conservative policies he's just not a likeable guy. I think CPC will not have a good time in the debates.

I'm not so certain. While Scheer's performance will be abysmal, Trudeau is no gifted public speaker either, and litreally everyone on that stage will be against him since he's both the PM and the centre-party candidate. Plus, Postmedia and the Irving papers will hail Scheer as the winner of the debate no matter what happens.

Besides, Trump got his ass handed to him in all three debates in 2016 and still won the election.

sig.gif
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

I'm not so certain. While Scheer's performance will be abysmal, Trudeau is no gifted public speaker either, and litreally everyone on that stage will be against him since he's both the PM and the centre-party candidate. Plus, Postmedia and the Irving papers will hail Scheer as the winner of the debate no matter what happens.

Besides, Trump got his ass handed to him in all three debates in 2016 and still won the election.

Well, that only happened because the US electoral system is extra turbo fucked. Ours is less so. Besides, everything happening in Ontario will prolly drag their numbers down even more.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »

Well, that only happened because the US electoral system is extra turbo fucked. Ours is less so. Besides, everything happening in Ontario will prolly drag their numbers down even more.

Hopefully.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Hasan Minhaj did a show on Canada/Trudeau (including a sit down with him):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDPeXoQUrbI

Glosses over some stuff (but that's a given with any of these types of shows) and feels like it comes to a fair conclusion of Trudeau being far from the hype, but still the best realistic choice.

• Options
    I find more and more I look at politicians and think to myself, "This is the best we can come up with?"

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I find more and more I look at politicians and think to myself, "This is the best we can come up with?"
    Mostly, yes. Ultimately, the problems are coming from the voters: collectively, we want to deal with problems, right up to the point where it would affect us personally.
    Politicians have to deal with that reality, so they promise more than they try to deliver. Those that try to actually do everything don't get re-elected.
    Add the fact that no policy has unanimous support, and that politicians are people, and that's what you get.

• Options

I find more and more I look at politicians and think to myself, "I could do a better job than them." But then I remember it would require me to be charismatic, to run in an election, to pretend to care about bigoted suburban and rural voters, and to not call journalists "idiots" to their faces every forty-five seconds. And it would cut severely into my "sitting in my office working alone without talking to anyone" time, which is my favourite time.

sig.gif
  • Options
    It's a shame there isn't much of a penalty for being a bad or mediocre politician. Perhaps some manner of carousel like in Logan's Run, with Doug Ford bursting into flames while floating in the air.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's a shame there isn't much of a penalty for being a bad or mediocre politician. Perhaps some manner of carousel like in Logan's Run, with Doug Ford bursting into flames while floating in the air.

That's a good way to get more fanatics and egomaniacs.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

I find more and more I look at politicians and think to myself, "I could do a better job than them." But then I remember it would require me to be charismatic, to run in an election, to pretend to care about bigoted suburban and rural voters, and to not call journalists "idiots" to their faces every forty-five seconds. And it would cut severely into my "sitting in my office working alone without talking to anyone" time, which is my favourite time.

Also, more coverage of every personal foible. Politicians in the past may well have been better at things due to the lack of needing to play well on TV &c., but just as likely is that all their idiocy wasn't streamed worldwide in real time and so simply went unnoticed.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »

Also, more coverage of every personal foible. Politicians in the past may well have been better at things due to the lack of needing to play well on TV &c., but just as likely is that all their idiocy wasn't streamed worldwide in real time and so simply went unnoticed.

John A MacDonald was literally a drunk as far as I've ever read.

• Options

Voters just don't bother to hold them to accounts most times. Largely because party matters more.

• Options
    "Two People's Party of Canada candidates in Saskatchewan are solving an impasse with a shootout at a gun range.

The Greater Saskatoon Chamber of Commerce has invited one candidate from each party to a pre-election debate on Sept. 10 but when it came time to decide who would represent the PPC, Guto Penteado and Mark Friesen both thought they would represent the party well."

I uh, yeah I don't even know where to start with this other than it wasn't posted on the beaverton or the onion.

• Options
    "Two People's Party of Canada candidates in Saskatchewan are solving an impasse with a shootout at a gun range.

The Greater Saskatoon Chamber of Commerce has invited one candidate from each party to a pre-election debate on Sept. 10 but when it came time to decide who would represent the PPC, Guto Penteado and Mark Friesen both thought they would represent the party well."

I uh, yeah I don't even know where to start with this other than it wasn't posted on the beaverton or the onion.

Peak Sask.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Friesen said he and Penteado also considered a bean bag toss or a potato sack race but they got excited about the idea of a shootout at the range because it speaks to the PPC's pro-gun policies.

what

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    On that topic, I was flipping through a Cabellos flyer yesterday and noticed a bunch of pistol grip semi auto rifles.

JFC WTF

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
This discussion has been closed.