As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Roughly translated:
    It's yours.

Opt for women and men who are like you, who share your values, who care about your concerns and who work for your interests,
    the interests of Quebecoi. Only Quebecoi.

Tomorrow belongs to you.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Brolo wrote: »
    Roughly translated:
    It's yours.

Opt for women and men who are like you, who share your values, who care about your concerns and who work for your interests,

Tomorrow belongs to you.

Edited my post with a rough translation as well.

I forget that not all of you speak french 8-)

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Roughly translated:
    It's yours.

Tomorrow belongs to you.

Come on, I took French all the way until grade 9........which was more than 20 years ago......

• Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Roughly translated:
    It's yours.

Tomorrow belongs to you.

Come on, I took French all the way until grade 9........which was more than 20 years ago......

I'm french but my mom married an English fellow when I was young and have been perfectly bilingual since I was 5-6.

Advanced English in French high school was pretty much A is for apple, B is for bread etc... Don't feel bad!

I honestly have no idea how people learn languages without being completely surrounded by it.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    In other news about racism in Canada:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/dorothy-marston-bernier-protest-mohawk-1.5305661

Support a fascist, get called a fascist, even if you’re eighty and in a scooter.

Sorry, but no, gotta push back on this.

Bernier is a piece of shit, but, like it or not, you have fellow Canadians who think as he does. Their logic is incompatible with our ideals, but they are free to feel that way, whether we like it or not.

Protest the PPC, call Bernier out, but physically preventing a little old lady from accessing a venue while shouting in her face is crossing the line. That lady is not a Nazi, just a scared old lady, and painting the CBC's portrayal of her as sympathetic as something that somehow boosts Bernier's racist platform is highly uncharitable. We need to be better than this, as unfair as that may seem sometimes.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    My french is terrible, but to give the Bloc the benefit of the doubt I will ask.... could that be translated to English in a more acceptable manner. I mean, the two translations given here tell me that the phrase is "resemble you" or "like you"....But does that mean look like you? Or could that also, more charitably, mean hold the same views as you?

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    It could be charitably interpreted as "who are like you" to be fractionally less racist

Which just makes it an extremely obvious dogwhistle

• Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    My french is terrible, but to give the Bloc the benefit of the doubt I will ask.... could that be translated to English in a more acceptable manner. I mean, the two translations given here tell me that the phrase is "resemble you" or "like you"....But does that mean look like you? Or could that also, more charitably, mean hold the same views as you?

No because they specifically mention holding the same views after.

This means don't vote for brown people. Pretty par for the course with QC lately.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    That tweet read better in the original German.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/dorothy-marston-bernier-protest-mohawk-1.5305661

Support a fascist, get called a fascist, even if you’re eighty and in a scooter.

Bernier is a piece of shit, but, like it or not, you have fellow Canadians who think as he does. Their logic is incompatible with our ideals, but they are free to feel that way, whether we like it or not.

Protest the PPC, call Bernier out, but physically preventing a little old lady from accessing a venue while shouting in her face is crossing the line. That lady is not a Nazi, just a scared old lady, and painting the CBC's portrayal of her as sympathetic as something that somehow boosts Bernier's racist platform is highly uncharitable. We need to be better than this, as unfair as that may seem sometimes.

Not to mention that going to listen to someone speak does not mean you're supporting them. While I agree with the sentiment that said lady is wildly unaware of how out of touch she is wrt our current political climate I really do hate the idea of people blocking other people from gathering information so as to make an informed decision.

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular

Racist little old lady votes count just the same as everyone else's. She doesn't need the kid gloves.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »

Racist little old lady votes count just the same as everyone else's. She doesn't need the kid gloves.

Kid gloves no, but basic civility of not being physically intimidated or accosted, absolutely.

Like I appreciate the passion and energy of the protest, but don’t escalate to where the only options are police intervention or physical retaliation.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options

Wait, how do we know she's racist? I didn't see anything in the story about that.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Wait, how do we know she's racist? I didn't see anything in the story about that.

Oh no, she’s not racist, she even says so, she’s just very concerned about all the people coming to her country from the Middle East.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular

Kid gloves no, but basic civility of not being physically intimidated or accosted, absolutely.

Like I appreciate the passion and energy of the protest, but don’t escalate to where the only options are police intervention or physical retaliation.

Yes, that's fine. But she's not "just a scared old lady".

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Decius wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »
    FFS

I have to say, it is very impressive the way Singh deals with this sort of bullshit.

Man that sits atop the pile of videos that end too soon. I want to know what was followed up by "You know you should...". I know it's going to probably be some racist cunty bullshit, but lets leave the old twat bare for all he's worth.

Did you not watch all 26 seconds of it? That cunty racist twat did bare himself for all he's worth.

Oh I watched all of it, even though I knew it'd make me angry. I guess I just wanted the guy to finish being a racist piece of shit.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular

Yes, that's fine. But she's not "just a scared old lady".

Not everyone is as informed as we are. It's not crazy to assume that someone saw that a new political party had popped up and to be curious about it.

And heck, even if she is a racist, so what? We can't give the alt-right ammo by acting like the antifa boogeymen they wished we were.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Yelling and screaming at people and blocking them is surely the best way to stop them from voting ppc /s

Aridhol on
  • Options

Oh no, she’s not racist, she even says so, she’s just very concerned about all the people coming to her country from the Middle East.

Let's have the rest of the quote.

• Options
    I think this lady is misinformed and afraid of scary brown Muslims from the middle East but the way to change this isn't to browbeat people, especially old ladies in wheelchairs.

How about the progressive protest group understand its a war of ideas and values and you don't win it by calling the ignorant on the other side evil Nazi's.

They weren't protesting Bernier, they were attacking people going listen and it's Fucking stupid and counterproductive.

• Options

I think people can be truly ignorant of some things without being wilfully racist. And as was said above, brow-beating ignorant people is no way to win them over.

I'm just getting incredibly sick of this sort of knee-jerk tendency to preemptively judge individuals.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    She strikes me as the sort of person who doesn't think she's racist, but totally is. That said, shouting at her and whatnot won't achieve anything.

• Options
    She absolutely is that racist old lady who needs to have a conversation with someone.

A conversation

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ugh gotten like 5 spam calls over con bullshit today, and what bugs me most is they are all automated robot calls, so I can't flip out on them either.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I certainly agree that we shouldn't resort to physical confrontation or intimidation with people like this.

It does get exhausting, being told not to be too hard on people with horrible views, because that person doesn't mean anything by it. They just can't be bothered to learn about anything outside of their little bubble. Don't worry though, that won't stop them from acting and voting in ways that negatively affect other people significantly. Sure, they may vote for a wannabe fascist out of intellectual laziness, but god forbid anyone be mean to them over it.

I know this attitude isn't constructive, and I certainly do my best to be patient and take the high road rather than give in to it. It can just be very, very tiring.

(As an aside, this isn't directed at anyone here. It's more aimed at the larger societal view).

• Options
    I certainly agree that we shouldn't resort to physical confrontation or intimidation with people like this.

It does get exhausting, being told not to be too hard on people with horrible views, because that person doesn't mean anything by it. They just can't be bothered to learn about anything outside of their little bubble. Don't worry though, that won't stop them from acting and voting in ways that negatively affect other people significantly. Sure, they may vote for a wannabe fascist out of intellectual laziness, but god forbid anyone be mean to them over it.

I know this attitude isn't constructive, and I certainly do my best to be patient and take the high road rather than give in to it. It can just be very, very tiring.

(As an aside, this isn't directed at anyone here. It's more aimed at the larger societal view).

I hear you here and I think there are absolutely people where you have to challenge them strongly. I sure as shit would call someone an asshole if they were up there calling Muslims terrorists.

I think it's not a choice between "shout" or "don't shout" but rather, what approach will get us to where we want to be for whichever person or group we're interacting with.

I don't think anyone would give a shit if these protesters stormed into the room and heckled or intimidated Bernier.
    The optics of doing the same to a potential (likely) supporter who is also an old lady in a wheelchair is just really damaging.

I guess my rant is just let's be smart about it. I think we'd all be on the same page there.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to seeing how dumb the freakouts over Scheer's dual citizenship end up being.

Leaving aside the sheer staggering hypocrisy of that being part and parcel of the guy who spent two years fighting C-6 and helped bring in tiered citizenship under Harper, I'm really looking forward to the xenophobic elements of the country in general going on another two minutes' hate about how I, personally, am Not A Real Canadian.

(Already got one dose of that and the story's just an hour old! Ahh, my countrymen are wonderful...)

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I for one am shocked, shocked, that the man who feels the US is in every way superior to Canada and who wants to turn Canada into a US vassal state was a US citizen all along.

sig.gif
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    I would legitimately not care that Scheer is a dual citizen if he hadn’t used that exact line of attack himself.

He is a massive hypocrite, and I think that needs to be the point. There’s nothing wrong with dual citizenship, there’s something wrong with consistently doing what you decry others for doing.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Singh consistently shows that he's a good person.
    If the ndp lose as bad as it seems (due to cpc fears and green surge) I hope he will not be scapegoated.

He's got something and I think the party as a whole has failed to generate the groundswell of support and yeah, some of that is on him but some is not.

I think he has a unique opportunity to stand out as a level headed alternative in the debates but will the message work on people and are they willing to take a chance?

I think they aren't (I am not) but I'd like to see him continue on in the future.

If there is one thing all parties of Canada can agree on, it is that when you lose, you scapegoat the leader of your party. Unless you knew that you had no real chance and/or are a joke party like the Rhino party, the Communist party or the Greens.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    It wasn't always like this. Pierre Trudeau and Mackenzie King had pretty long runs, broken up with being on the Opposition for a term or two.

• Options
    Also, you know, Jack Layton was the leader for what, 4 election losses?
    I think this isn't the norm at all, just recent history.

• Options
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    God 2019 is real fucking stupid

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I think it's more seemed like the norm lately because of the Liberals revolving door of leaders against Harper and that was mostly because the Cons spent all their time poisoning the well on Liberal leaders.

• Options
    I agree it's the liberals looking for a winning person.
    I actually think parties will stick with their guy the next few years to build up the brand.
    I could be wrong but I don't think Singh or Scheer go if they lose.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

I think it's more seemed like the norm lately because of the Liberals revolving door of leaders against Harper and that was mostly because the Cons spent all their time poisoning the well on Liberal leaders.

Yes and they still do that (see the hate against Trudeau personally, or Wynn in Ontario), and it still works. Liberals need to start defending against this strategy.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I agree it's the liberals looking for a winning person.
    I actually think parties will stick with their guy the next few years to build up the brand.
    I could be wrong but I don't think Singh or Scheer go if they lose.

Scheer definitely goes. He was sixth choice for leader of the CPC and can barely keep the various alt-right hate groups that form the party in line as it is. A defeat will be the end of his career.

sig.gif
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular

Is there a reading here other than "Say no to anti-facists, say yes to facists"?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »

Is there a reading here other than "Say no to anti-facists, say yes to facists"?

Yes. That's honestly by far the least likely reading.

"Antifa" to the right is not anti-fascist, it's just a name for a scary bunch of left-wingers who attack and murder random innocent conservatives. They've become a perpetual boogeyman of the right-wing propaganda bubble.

The reading here is "Say No to that scary thing that your brother sent you in that chain email on facebook".

This discussion has been closed.