As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Donnicton wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    So I got Xenoblade 2 as it's on sale. My impression so far: Boobs.

Jesus christ Japan.
    I hear a lot of good things about it but every time I think about picking it up I just can't stop thinking about how much I hate the character designs compared to the first game. Particularly regarding fanservice.

I'm not gonna lie, there's a bunch of problematic shit in the writing of this game

There’s definitely some issues in the designs for some of the Blades, no debate there, but the only thing I can think of problematic in the writing is
    Some of the stuff involving Poppi. Which to be fair, is pretty obviously called out as being creepy by the other characters.
    Is there something else writing wise I’m not thinking of?

Ridiculously huge spoiler do not click unless you are either never ever going to play this game or have already played a lot of it.
    Nia's being a blade and kind of going all submissive to Rex once this is discovered is a little creepy considering how her character was up until that point. Also in general the way the Blades are shown to be fully independent and thinking people who also have their memories and personalities wiped if their owner dies. Which means that by accepting Rex as her driver, Nia is signing up for some shit.

It's implied that
    Being a flesh eater or whatever it was they call them, she's not subject to returning to the Poke Ball like a normal Blade is because their form is maintained by their human half and not by their driver.

But they kind of gloss over the finer details of it anyway so who knows.

It's explicit, actually. Pay attention to backstory more.

The game gets so close to raising interesting questions on that subject.
    Ending spoilers:
    Specifically, the question of whether it's a mercy or not that they lose their memories. Arguably, they die with their driver and it's basically a clone being born the next time. Now, the whole "die with your driver" bit... yes that's problematic. As is the whole release bit... that's even more so. In this case though, I'm fairly sure this comes from a "writers really didn't think this through" standpoint - this is hardly the only media to get into this kind of issue. I mean, Pokemon is right there (though Black/White did a pretty good job of pointing out the issue).

In general though, the game doesn't shy away from pointing out that blades have the short end of the stick. Some of the sidequests in particular.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Jesus christ Japan.
    I hear a lot of good things about it but every time I think about picking it up I just can't stop thinking about how much I hate the character designs compared to the first game. Particularly regarding fanservice.

I'm not gonna lie, there's a bunch of problematic shit in the writing of this game

There’s definitely some issues in the designs for some of the Blades, no debate there, but the only thing I can think of problematic in the writing is
    Some of the stuff involving Poppi. Which to be fair, is pretty obviously called out as being creepy by the other characters.

There's the way that Pyra is uncomfortable with her appearance/body which is then played for laughs (which makes her outfit situation even worse). There's the fact that of the first four Blades I have seen in the game, the two women are walking breast implants wearing sexy bathing suits and the two men are non-human monsters (and funnily enough, Sever is actually wearing more clothes than Pyra and Brighid put together). There's also the way that Pyra is constantly talked about as if she was an object, or talked about between other characters as if she wasn't in the same room/was an object even though she's standing right there.

While not wishing to eh, start something so to speak, the bolded is actually kind of important in-game, and as it sounds like you're fairly early in the game, the object/being thing is... Touched on. (Yeah I really can't explain more without spoiling things.)

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Jesus christ Japan.

Ridiculously huge spoiler do not click unless you are either never ever going to play this game or have already played a lot of it.
    Nia's being a blade and kind of going all submissive to Rex once this is discovered is a little creepy considering how her character was up until that point. Also in general the way the Blades are shown to be fully independent and thinking people who also have their memories and personalities wiped if their owner dies. Which means that by accepting Rex as her driver, Nia is signing up for some shit.

It's implied that
    Being a flesh eater or whatever it was they call them, she's not subject to returning to the Poke Ball like a normal Blade is because their form is maintained by their human half and not by their driver.

Ending spoilers:
    Specifically, the question of whether it's a mercy or not that they lose their memories. Arguably, they die with their driver and it's basically a clone being born the next time. Now, the whole "die with your driver" bit... yes that's problematic. As is the whole release bit... that's even more so. In this case though, I'm fairly sure this comes from a "writers really didn't think this through" standpoint - this is hardly the only media to get into this kind of issue. I mean, Pokemon is right there (though Black/White did a pretty good job of pointing out the issue).

In general though, the game doesn't shy away from pointing out that blades have the short end of the stick. Some of the sidequests in particular.

I haven't played the game in like a year so I'm going by best recollection, there's really no need to get curt about it. If you think there is evidence to the contrary, please simply point it out.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Jesus christ Japan.

It's implied that

Ending spoilers:

I haven't played the game in like a year so I'm going by best recollection, there's really no need to get curt about it. If you think there is evidence to the contrary, please simply point it out.

Uh...
    Jin.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Honestly the thing that made me the most uneasy in Xenoblade 2 was when
    Zeke spilled his backstory a bit and confirmed that there are actually people who hunt down and murder drivers who have attractive blades just so they can sell the core crystals along with a picture of the blade inside.

• Options

Jesus christ Japan.

It's implied that

Ending spoilers:

Uh...
    Jin.
    Jin was a originally a Blade who became a flesh eater using his second driver, and never bonded with anyone else again.

Note that the time he returned to his core crystal was after his first driver died, and was before he became a flesh eater. His second driver was the one that turned him into a flesh eater as she died - which kept him in his humanoid form without returning him to a core.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Is there a xenoblade thread where perhaps this argument could continue?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Zunde wrote: »
    In general you have to accept that Japanese game's are going to be fan-service heavy sometime's since it's fairly popular over there and they don't really care about the western opinion. I think it baffles them more then anything.

I mean, you are saying this like western media doesn't have the same problem.

I think one of the big distinctions though is that we can't influence Japanese media like Western media. Japanese developers/publishers typically consider the West to be supplementary income at best, and trying to protest their products will simply result in them not localizing the product anymore. Their real target demo is the otaku Japanese and unless there's a big shift in their preferences(and indications seem to be that it's getting worse over there rather than better), how the content is going to be shaped won't change.

Completely off-topic for the Switch thread, but I've been regularly visiting Japan and going to Comiket since 2005 and things have actually changed a lot. There used to be some absolutely grotesque stuff sold at Comiket and that filtered out into the rest of fandom because, well, Comiket has a huge influence on everything.

A few years back, they put their foot down on what could and couldn't be sold there, and it had a huge effect on the rest of the otaku community.

That said, one of the best things about these forums is the "no anime threads" rule. There is a metric ton of super niche anime designed to air at 3 AM and sell a few thousand blu-rays to VERY specific audiences and then be instantly forgotten, and it gets brought over here as "This is what's really popular in Japan" and the result is a super sketchy fandom and a distorted view of Japan as a country full of super-perverts.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Man oh man, I haven't enjoyed Smash this much since Melee. World of Light isn't as neat as I thought it'd be, but I'm having a blast going through classic mode, and playing squad battles/tournaments. King K. Rool is my favorite, right now. He's really good! The credits mini game is great too, way better than Smash 4's.

Now I hope Sakurai get's a nice decade long vacation where he can do anything but think of Smash Bros. He's earned it :^:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    This is probably well known info, but Nintendo is already sending out Piranha Plant codes to people who bought Smash digitally. Check your emails!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Man oh man, I haven't enjoyed Smash this much since Melee. World of Light isn't as neat as I thought it'd be, but I'm having a blast going through classic mode, and playing squad battles/tournaments. King K. Rool is my favorite, right now. He's really good! The credits mini game is great too, way better than Smash 4's.

Now I hope Sakurai get's a nice decade long vacation where he can do anything but think of Smash Bros. He's earned it :^:

They really need to clone Sakurai; preferably twice. One Sakurai to work on Smash forever, one Sakurai to make all the weird and awesome games he wants to make, and one Sakurai who's on permanent vacation.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Alternatively, they could just say this is the 'ultimate' smash, and that it needs no more versions. They could then send Sakurai on a long vacation and then let him work on whatever other games he wants when he comes back.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Alternatively, they could just say this is the 'ultimate' smash, and that it needs no more versions. They could then send Sakurai on a long vacation and then let him work on whatever other games he wants when he comes back.
    I like Maz' idea better.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    let him work on whatever other games he wants when he comes back.

guess what it's smash

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    let him work on whatever other games he wants when he comes back.

guess what it's smash

I'd trade the new smash for a Kirby made by Sakurai in a heartbeat.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Why would one of the clone Sakurai's want to work on Smash when the regular OG Sakurai doesn't want to work on Smash?

One should make the games he wants to make, the other on vacation, and the other should spend all his free time trolling Smash fans by telling them the truth that no one listens to their suggestions/ideas for the games and never will.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    by cloning sakurai twice you've just created two more people who need a vacation

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    by cloning sakurai twice you've just created two more people who need a vacation

They can rotate between who is on Smash, other games, and vacation.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I got back into Dead Cells in honor of its “best action” award

I’d say that’s pretty well deserved, and should’ve been a warning not to play it late at night... I finished clock tower for the first time and now I’m too hype to sleep

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So... I have never played a Persona or Shin Megami Tensei (or however you spell it) game. I wanted Tokyo Mirage Sessions, but that's kind of the extent of it.

Is there anything I need to know if P5 comes to the Switch? Is there like a primer?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I mean they're essentially anthology games with nothing to do with one another except for the idea of Personas and emotion spirits, I think.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    OK, Smash question since I'm not getting why I'm losing matches. I have just been playing as Kirby since his down attack while airborne seems really effective.

1) World of Light, I'm fighting a spirit that has Link as its ...host? I am handily winning and he pulls some full screen attack out of nowhere and instantly kills me. Twice. The third time I fight him, he does the same full screen attack and it doesn't damage me at all.

2) I leave the World of Light mode and get a "challenger approaching" of Bowser and am again handily winning. Some purple guy with a sack appears, grabs Bowser and puts him in the sack, I hit the guy with the sack and Bowser pops back out... but then I just see "GAME" on the screen - not "Defeat" - and apparently I lost anyway. Trying to google "Smash brothers game" is giving me about as good results as you'd expect.

So how am I dying, here? Sorry if these are kind of vague questions, this game is being really confusing.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    I mean they're essentially anthology games with nothing to do with one another except for the idea of Personas and emotion spirits, I think.

Technically at least Personas 3-5 are connected through references and cameos. (and the Arena games more blatantly connect 3 and 4), They just all take place in different areas of Japan.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    OK, Smash question since I'm not getting why I'm losing matches. I have just been playing as Kirby since his down attack while airborne seems really effective.

1) World of Light, I'm fighting a spirit that has Link as its ...host? I am handily winning and he pulls some full screen attack out of nowhere and instantly kills me. Twice. The third time I fight him, he does the same full screen attack and it doesn't damage me at all.

2) I leave the World of Light mode and get a "challenger approaching" of Bowser and am again handily winning. Some purple guy with a sack appears, grabs Bowser and puts him in the sack, I hit the guy with the sack and Bowser pops back out... but then I just see "GAME" on the screen - not "Defeat" - and apparently I lost anyway. Trying to google "Smash brothers game" is giving me about as good results as you'd expect.

So how am I dying, here? Sorry if these are kind of vague questions, this game is being really confusing.

Okay, a few things that might help.

1. There are little descriptors on the screen before a fight starts that describe special conditions unique to that fight.

Example:
    Dq7VLZmWkAE9xZk.jpg

On the lower left it says "The enemy's battering items have increased power" and "The Enemy starts with a Killing Edge". So for that fight and that fight only, any club-like weapon that your opponent picks up will do extra damage and also Zero Suit Samus will start with a sword. One of the ones I've seen sounds like what you're seeing with Link which is "The enemy will occasionally get a Final Smash", and Link's Final Smash in this game is full screen and flies in a straight line forward. If you were at a high percentage, that might have killed you in the first few attempts, and if you were just above or below his line of sight it might've missed you entirely.

2. Nabbit is the purple guy with a sack, he's from New Super Mario Bros U. In Smash 4 he would grab players and try to truck them off the edge. I'm not sure how that would affect the Bowser challenger match. Maybe KO'ing a character that isn't the Challenger had some weird effect? I haven't actually unlocked Bowser yet so I don't know.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

Okay, a few things that might help.

1. There are little descriptors on the screen before a fight starts that describe special conditions unique to that fight.

Example:

On the lower left it says "The enemy's battering items have increased power" and "The Enemy starts with a Killing Edge". So for that fight and that fight only, any club-like weapon that your opponent picks up will do extra damage and also Zero Suit Samus will start with a sword. One of the ones I've seen sounds like what you're seeing with Link which is "The enemy will occasionally get a Final Smash", and Link's Final Smash in this game is full screen and flies in a straight line forward. If you were at a high percentage, that might have killed you in the first few attempts, and if you were just above or below his line of sight it might've missed you entirely.

2. Nabbit is the purple guy with a sack, he's from New Super Mario Bros U. In Smash 4 he would grab players and try to truck them off the edge. I'm not sure how that would affect the Bowser challenger match. Maybe KO'ing a character that isn't the Challenger had some weird effect? I haven't actually unlocked Bowser yet so I don't know.

Thanks, those were both helpful. On reading up on Nabbit, apparently he can sometimes grab you and immediately fall off the stage. So it's possible that I knocked Bowser out of his sack and became his next victim. I need to start remembering to hold down the record button when I die to something I don't understand, because there's so much visual chaos. :)

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    EDIT: Late reply to baudattitude's questions, while I was researching for verification and links. Post spoilered but retained for reference.
    1) Was there a zoom-in effect when Link pulled off the move, one where he launched an arrow? That's a Final Smash, which, for Spirits battles as in World of Light usually comes online as a kind of super meter. Take and deal enough damage, and your character will start to glow. If you do a neutral special (Special button with no directional input), then your character will activate their Final Smash, generally for a lot of damage and launching power. So if the battle went for a long time, that might have been what happened. Otherwise, there are some Spirit battles where the enemy character can suddenly gain a Final Smash without needing to take or deal all of the required damage to fill the meter normally.

2) "GAME" is the callout for general Smash battles ending, rather than "Victory" / "Defeat" for Spirits battles. As for why you lost, it sounds like you encountered the stage hazard on the Bowser challenger stage, Nabbit, who tries to put a fighter into their sack and then KO them by stealing them off the screen. Seems like there might have been a missing step in your description - after freeing Bowser, did you then get captured and not have Bowser return the favor of freeing you? I wouldn't worry too much about failing challenges for unlocking characters... keep playing and you'll get additional opportunities for rematches.

You might also try asking in the dedicated Smash Bros. thread, more answers potentially there.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Apparently Amazon has been running a big blowout of small-developer Switch and a few 3DS titles for the past week or so, featuring both full price drops, and a per-title 5% checkout discount coupon, including pre-orders. This has led to the complete sellout of pre-orders for many of their upcoming small-publisher titles such as Super Neptunia RPG, RemiLore, Tales of Vesperia, The Caligula Effect: Overdose, The Princess Guide, The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince, and Etrian Odyssey Nexus - just to name a few. Some already-released titles are also seeing price drops and 5% coupon combinations as well, with varying stock status. This does not appear to extend to Playstation titles or first-party titles.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

Technically at least Personas 3-5 are connected through references and cameos. (and the Arena games more blatantly connect 3 and 4), They just all take place in different areas of Japan.

True, but these are just little nods for fans who have played each installment, and not serious story hooks that require you play them all. Each game has a complete narrative on their own.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Smash is making a little more sense thanks to the tips I’ve gotten here. I got a rechallenge from Bowser and won this time - when he got put in a sack, I just stood back and waved goodbye for the win.

Then decided to play through his solo mode and was amused to see that the ending has him
    kidnapping Mario and taking him away from Peach. Bowsette canon confirmed.

baudattitude on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Why would one of the clone Sakurai's want to work on Smash when the regular OG Sakurai doesn't want to work on Smash?

One should make the games he wants to make, the other on vacation, and the other should spend all his free time trolling Smash fans by telling them the truth that no one listens to their suggestions/ideas for the games and never will.

I'm pretty sure since Smash 4 they've been seriously considering fan suggestions for characters. Sakurai said "oh Ridley is too big to be in Smash" and the fans didn't let up so now we have him. Fan polls said we want King K. Rool so now we have him. People wanted old characters like Snake to return and so they did.

Not to mention features that specifically cater to more hardcore fans like omega/battlefield mods for every single stage, so competitive players who ban about every other stage aren't bored with the same flat final destination every time.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Hazardless is the big “hey we were listening” feature

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure since Smash 4 they've been seriously considering fan suggestions for characters. Sakurai said "oh Ridley is too big to be in Smash" and the fans didn't let up so now we have him. Fan polls said we want King K. Rool so now we have him. People wanted old characters like Snake to return and so they did.

Not to mention features that specifically cater to more hardcore fans like omega/battlefield mods for every single stage, so competitive players who ban about every other stage aren't bored with the same flat final destination every time.

There was a fan poll taken before Melee. Character selections have been driven in part by fan demand basically since it was possible to do so. People just frequently mistake "what they themselves want" for "what the largest number of people want", and neglect that it's possible for some characters to come from fan demand while others are deliberately obscure deep cuts.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

I'd been waiting for this update to start a new Stardew Valley farm.

I'm not particularly interested in the multiplayer, but I am looking forward to the new content.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Apparently Amazon has been running a big blowout of small-developer Switch and a few 3DS titles for the past week or so, featuring both full price drops, and a per-title 5% checkout discount coupon, including pre-orders. This has led to the complete sellout of pre-orders for many of their upcoming small-publisher titles such as Super Neptunia RPG, RemiLore, Tales of Vesperia, The Caligula Effect: Overdose, The Princess Guide, The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince, and Etrian Odyssey Nexus - just to name a few. Some already-released titles are also seeing price drops and 5% coupon combinations as well, with varying stock status. This does not appear to extend to Playstation titles or first-party titles.

Oh cool the Super Neptunia RPG I preorded awhile ago has been updated to almost 33% off.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Looks like they released an update for DOOM.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Panic Button is my favorite company. Nintendo should buy them.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Sweet, I just bought Doom from the recent sale!

From what I have seen it looks like it already runs pretty well on the Switch.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

Nice! Meeting up with a friend this Friday who is a big stardew fan, so I guess we'll probably be farming all night.

Also the most important part of this update is this: "Your horse can now wear hats."

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Do people have Stardew LAN parties?

steam_sig.png