Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

1343537394099

Posts

  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna buy one of the "big" indies sometime soon so that I can finally play them for the first time; I'm currently leaning towards either Hollow Knight or Stardew Valley, though Undertale and Celeste are also in the running. I might wait for a sale, because so far I think none of them have gone on sale on Switch so far.

    Of the four, I say Stardew and Undertale. Those two are more relaxing/heartwarming, the other two are the hardcore difficults.

    Supposedly the insane difficulty of Celeste endears people to the experience -- I mean that sucker is brutal from the first moment. I think it's supposed to give a feeling of overcoming a struggle in a heartwarming way? I gave up after the first 30 minutes, but I should try it again.

    Meanwhile HK is ye olde Dark Souls, meaning bleak environment, no explanation of game mechanics and loads of bullshit to artificially make things more difficult.

    As someone who loves and hates Dark Souls simultaneously, I don't see Hollow Knight as lacking an explanation of game mechanics. I hate Dark Souls for that very reason but Hollow Knight does not have that issue. Finding the mapmaker is the only problem I see, but the good outweighs the bad.

    I managed to completely miss the fast travel thing because I didn't realize I was supposed to whack a random inert thing in the background when whacking similar inert things in the background did nothing, leading me to believe I couldn't access that yet without an upgrade or item.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    dresdenphile
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna buy one of the "big" indies sometime soon so that I can finally play them for the first time; I'm currently leaning towards either Hollow Knight or Stardew Valley, though Undertale and Celeste are also in the running. I might wait for a sale, because so far I think none of them have gone on sale on Switch so far.

    Of the four, I say Stardew and Undertale. Those two are more relaxing/heartwarming, the other two are the hardcore difficults.

    Supposedly the insane difficulty of Celeste endears people to the experience -- I mean that sucker is brutal from the first moment. I think it's supposed to give a feeling of overcoming a struggle in a heartwarming way? I gave up after the first 30 minutes, but I should try it again.

    Meanwhile HK is ye olde Dark Souls, meaning bleak environment, no explanation of game mechanics and loads of bullshit to artificially make things more difficult.

    As someone who loves and hates Dark Souls simultaneously, I don't see Hollow Knight as lacking an explanation of game mechanics. I hate Dark Souls for that very reason but Hollow Knight does not have that issue. Finding the mapmaker is the only problem I see, but the good outweighs the bad.

    There are a few tiny rough edges to Hollow Knight. I had the bizarre experience of not realizing I could slash up or down. I thought I had tried once and it didn't work, so I never tried it again. Until I got stuck, unable to progress, because you had to down slash in order to get over a map obstacle to the next area. Then I looked it up and went "I THOUGHT I TRIED THAT?!"

    I donno, maybe it's congenital.

    This also meant I defeated several early bosses you need to down slash as they run/fly under you by instead slashing their backsides with pixel perfect precision as I leapt past them.

    That possibly totally unique hangup aside I broadly agree. While the game isn't exgressively tutorialized with heavy handed "Do this here" signposts everywhere (outside the very first are that shows you how to move, jump and attack I think?), it does a good job compartmentalizing which mechanics you need to intuit as you go.

  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So looks like the new Harvest Moon continues to not be the good Harvest Moon series, though is setting records.

    https://nintendoeverything.com/natsume-says-harvest-moon-light-of-hope-set-new-sales-records-announcements-coming-in-the-near-future/

    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2
    The best-selling video game product of 2018 on Amazon is Smash Bros Ultimate.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2018/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_cal_ye

    This is actually pretty unique as typically the top selling products are things like Playstation gift cards. The last game to outsell all other game-related merchandise was Halo 4 in 2012.

    Screen protectors for Switch is currently the top selling item of 2019...which goes to show what a lot of people got for Christmas. :P

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    cloudeagleGMaster7KoopahTroopahFryAndy JoeDonnictonBullheadcooljammer00Werewolf2000adDoctorArchkimeShortySwashbucklerXXjkylefultonShadowfireDark Raven XArcSynGennenalyse Rueben
  • TayaTaya Hit refresh Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    So looks like the new Harvest Moon continues to not be the good Harvest Moon series, though is setting records.

    https://nintendoeverything.com/natsume-says-harvest-moon-light-of-hope-set-new-sales-records-announcements-coming-in-the-near-future/

    I heard this one is not terrible, but it looks like a mobile game and they're charging full price for it. I guess people bought it.

    Legacy
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Need some game prioritization help for the new Switch. Can't buy them all!

    Have Smash already, picked up Hollow Knight.

    Trying to decide amongst these:
    Diablo 3
    Mario Odyssey
    Mario + Rabbids

    The list is obviously much longer in total, but for next purchase one of those three fits into what I'm looking to alternate between right now when I'm not playing Smash or Hollow Knight.

  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Need some game prioritization help for the new Switch. Can't buy them all!

    Have Smash already, picked up Hollow Knight.

    Trying to decide amongst these:
    Diablo 3
    Mario Odyssey
    Mario + Rabbids

    The list is obviously much longer in total, but for next purchase one of those three fits into what I'm looking to alternate between right now when I'm not playing Smash or Hollow Knight.

    That's a really tough decision.

    Diablo 3 and Rabbids are both on sale on Amazon (not sure whether you have Prime or not, or if that's necessary to get the sale I see). Odyssey is not. I would save money while you can, first and foremost I think.

    This is the perfect time to get Diablo 3 as a new online season is starting pretty soon, Jan 18. And there is a special Diablo 1-themed event that is only available during January, only time to get some fun pets and achievements.

    http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/The_Darkening_of_Tristram

    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    BullheadKoopahTroopah
  • physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker Registered User regular
    Need some game prioritization help for the new Switch. Can't buy them all!

    Have Smash already, picked up Hollow Knight.

    Trying to decide amongst these:
    Diablo 3
    Mario Odyssey
    Mario + Rabbids

    The list is obviously much longer in total, but for next purchase one of those three fits into what I'm looking to alternate between right now when I'm not playing Smash or Hollow Knight.

    You can't go wrong with Mario Odyssey. Probably the weirdest mainline Mario game since SMB2, but so delightful. It's bound to put a smile on your face multiple times.

    3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
    Namrok21stCentury
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »
    Need some game prioritization help for the new Switch. Can't buy them all!

    Have Smash already, picked up Hollow Knight.

    Trying to decide amongst these:
    Diablo 3
    Mario Odyssey
    Mario + Rabbids

    The list is obviously much longer in total, but for next purchase one of those three fits into what I'm looking to alternate between right now when I'm not playing Smash or Hollow Knight.

    You can't go wrong with Mario Odyssey. Probably the weirdest mainline Mario game since SMB2, but so delightful. It's bound to put a smile on your face multiple times.

    Yeah, and it'll probably never go on sale, knowing Nintendo.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Namrok
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So with January being her and all we should be hearing about a direct some time soon if Nintendo's history is anything to go by. They usually do a pretty big direct at the start of every year.

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    LegacyAndy Joe
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2
    Namrok wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna buy one of the "big" indies sometime soon so that I can finally play them for the first time; I'm currently leaning towards either Hollow Knight or Stardew Valley, though Undertale and Celeste are also in the running. I might wait for a sale, because so far I think none of them have gone on sale on Switch so far.

    Of the four, I say Stardew and Undertale. Those two are more relaxing/heartwarming, the other two are the hardcore difficults.

    Supposedly the insane difficulty of Celeste endears people to the experience -- I mean that sucker is brutal from the first moment. I think it's supposed to give a feeling of overcoming a struggle in a heartwarming way? I gave up after the first 30 minutes, but I should try it again.

    Meanwhile HK is ye olde Dark Souls, meaning bleak environment, no explanation of game mechanics and loads of bullshit to artificially make things more difficult.

    As someone who loves and hates Dark Souls simultaneously, I don't see Hollow Knight as lacking an explanation of game mechanics. I hate Dark Souls for that very reason but Hollow Knight does not have that issue. Finding the mapmaker is the only problem I see, but the good outweighs the bad.

    There are a few tiny rough edges to Hollow Knight. I had the bizarre experience of not realizing I could slash up or down. I thought I had tried once and it didn't work, so I never tried it again. Until I got stuck, unable to progress, because you had to down slash in order to get over a map obstacle to the next area. Then I looked it up and went "I THOUGHT I TRIED THAT?!"

    I donno, maybe it's congenital.

    This also meant I defeated several early bosses you need to down slash as they run/fly under you by instead slashing their backsides with pixel perfect precision as I leapt past them.

    That possibly totally unique hangup aside I broadly agree. While the game isn't exgressively tutorialized with heavy handed "Do this here" signposts everywhere (outside the very first are that shows you how to move, jump and attack I think?), it does a good job compartmentalizing which mechanics you need to intuit as you go.

    Now that I think about it, the ambiguous requirements to get the real ending also meet my criteria for "Dark Souls Bullshit." Not the requirements themselves but not knowing them. I mitigated this the same way I mitigated Dark Souls, by being glued to a wiki (which is also one of the only ways I can enjoy Dark Souls). I am of the opinion that if I have to reach for outside sources in a game, that is a failure on the game's part.

    Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    cooljammer00LD50
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Chili Dog Enthusiast Registered User regular
    Need some game prioritization help for the new Switch. Can't buy them all!

    Have Smash already, picked up Hollow Knight.

    Trying to decide amongst these:
    Diablo 3
    Mario Odyssey
    Mario + Rabbids

    The list is obviously much longer in total, but for next purchase one of those three fits into what I'm looking to alternate between right now when I'm not playing Smash or Hollow Knight.

    Firm vote for Mario Odyssey.

    Mario + Rabbids is 100% worth playing and is excellent - I was actually just thinking about reinstalling it this weekend - and Diablo 3 is also great and a good fit for the Switch, but... Mario Odyssey is one of the best games of this generation, in my opinion. So excellent and so worth playing.

    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    NamrokcloudeagleMNC Dover
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    So looks like the new Harvest Moon continues to not be the good Harvest Moon series, though is setting records.

    https://nintendoeverything.com/natsume-says-harvest-moon-light-of-hope-set-new-sales-records-announcements-coming-in-the-near-future/

    I heard this one is not terrible, but it looks like a mobile game and they're charging full price for it. I guess people bought it.

    can't be worse than Stardew Valley

  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    physi_marc wrote: »
    Need some game prioritization help for the new Switch. Can't buy them all!

    Have Smash already, picked up Hollow Knight.

    Trying to decide amongst these:
    Diablo 3
    Mario Odyssey
    Mario + Rabbids

    The list is obviously much longer in total, but for next purchase one of those three fits into what I'm looking to alternate between right now when I'm not playing Smash or Hollow Knight.

    You can't go wrong with Mario Odyssey. Probably the weirdest mainline Mario game since SMB2, but so delightful. It's bound to put a smile on your face multiple times.

    Yeah, and it'll probably never go on sale, knowing Nintendo.

    I think odyssey was actually on a decent sale on the eshop at some point in november/december, right after I bought it for full price physically
    good luck finding out they're doing sales though

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Need some game prioritization help for the new Switch. Can't buy them all!

    Have Smash already, picked up Hollow Knight.

    Trying to decide amongst these:
    Diablo 3
    Mario Odyssey
    Mario + Rabbids

    The list is obviously much longer in total, but for next purchase one of those three fits into what I'm looking to alternate between right now when I'm not playing Smash or Hollow Knight.

    Firm vote for Mario Odyssey.

    Mario + Rabbids is 100% worth playing and is excellent - I was actually just thinking about reinstalling it this weekend - and Diablo 3 is also great and a good fit for the Switch, but... Mario Odyssey is one of the best games of this generation, in my opinion. So excellent and so worth playing.

    Pretty much this. Mario Odyssey is a system seller. If you have a Switch and you haven't bought it yet, that's the first game you buy. Assuming it's even remotely your jam.

    The others are what you get after you've beaten Mario Odyssey and are jonsing for something else to put on the system. Especially Diablo 3 which is as old and as ported as it already is. And while I greatly enjoyed Mario + Rabbids, and the value is probably about right at a sale price, I wouldn't prioritize it over Mario Odyssey at all.

    GMaster7
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Taya wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    So looks like the new Harvest Moon continues to not be the good Harvest Moon series, though is setting records.

    https://nintendoeverything.com/natsume-says-harvest-moon-light-of-hope-set-new-sales-records-announcements-coming-in-the-near-future/

    I heard this one is not terrible, but it looks like a mobile game and they're charging full price for it. I guess people bought it.

    can't be worse than Stardew Valley

    So it's one of the best games ever made?

    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    AxenTimFijiDarmakLD50FonjoDr. Phibbs McAtheyStormwatcher
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Taya wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    So looks like the new Harvest Moon continues to not be the good Harvest Moon series, though is setting records.

    https://nintendoeverything.com/natsume-says-harvest-moon-light-of-hope-set-new-sales-records-announcements-coming-in-the-near-future/

    I heard this one is not terrible, but it looks like a mobile game and they're charging full price for it. I guess people bought it.

    can't be worse than Stardew Valley

    Trust me, it most definitely can. By an order of magnitude. Stardew Valley is a quite competent Harvest Moon clone. Newest Harvest Moon... kind of isn't.

    Steam ID: Right here.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    yeah, but I really disliked stardew valley

    can't wait for a good farm sim on the switch

  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    yeah, but I really disliked stardew valley

    can't wait for a good farm sim on the switch

    Harvest Moon 64 port?

    steam_sig.png
    Xaquin
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2
    The original creator of Harvest Moon considers Stardew Valley as the true successor of the Harvest Moon legacy. Which is about as high a praise as one could get.

    Axen on
    ShortySwashbucklerXXLegacyLD50LBD_NytetraynAndy Joe
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    yeah, but I really disliked stardew valley

    can't wait for a good farm sim on the switch

    Harvest Moon 64 port?

    I'd pay $60 for that

  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    yeah, but I really disliked stardew valley

    can't wait for a good farm sim on the switch

    https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/farming-simulator-nintendo-switch-edition

    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    yeah, but I really disliked stardew valley

    can't wait for a good farm sim on the switch

    https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/farming-simulator-nintendo-switch-edition

    I did see that!

    I guess I should be more specific

    I want a nice N64 to Wii Harvest Moon on the Switch. I loved Rune Factory 4, ToT, HM64, and the GC ones.

    TamerBill
  • akjakakjak Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Need some game prioritization help for the new Switch. Can't buy them all!

    Have Smash already, picked up Hollow Knight.

    Trying to decide amongst these:
    Diablo 3
    Mario Odyssey
    Mario + Rabbids

    The list is obviously much longer in total, but for next purchase one of those three fits into what I'm looking to alternate between right now when I'm not playing Smash or Hollow Knight.

    That's a really tough decision.

    Diablo 3 and Rabbids are both on sale on Amazon (not sure whether you have Prime or not, or if that's necessary to get the sale I see). Odyssey is not. I would save money while you can, first and foremost I think.

    This is the perfect time to get Diablo 3 as a new online season is starting pretty soon, Jan 18. And there is a special Diablo 1-themed event that is only available during January, only time to get some fun pets and achievements.

    http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/The_Darkening_of_Tristram

    Thanks for the tip. I meant to buy it digital when it was on sale last month. Then I forgot and it wasn’t on sale anymore.

    3DS Friend Code: 3737-9749-7483
    Puzzle&Dragons: 399,873,301
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Man I want a true sequel to Fantasy Life on the Switch. I loved that game.

    Hm, maybe I should replay it. . . .

    TimFijiForceVoidChiselphaneImperfectLD50Andy Joe
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Man I want a true sequel to Fantasy Life on the Switch. I loved that game.

    Hm, maybe I should replay it. . . .

    I'm pretty sure my little sister would shank a motherfucker for a Fantasy Life 2 on Switch. She adored the first one and still breaks it out often.

    Steam ID: Right here.
    SwashbucklerXXImperfectStormwatcher
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Namrok wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna buy one of the "big" indies sometime soon so that I can finally play them for the first time; I'm currently leaning towards either Hollow Knight or Stardew Valley, though Undertale and Celeste are also in the running. I might wait for a sale, because so far I think none of them have gone on sale on Switch so far.

    Of the four, I say Stardew and Undertale. Those two are more relaxing/heartwarming, the other two are the hardcore difficults.

    Supposedly the insane difficulty of Celeste endears people to the experience -- I mean that sucker is brutal from the first moment. I think it's supposed to give a feeling of overcoming a struggle in a heartwarming way? I gave up after the first 30 minutes, but I should try it again.

    Meanwhile HK is ye olde Dark Souls, meaning bleak environment, no explanation of game mechanics and loads of bullshit to artificially make things more difficult.

    As someone who loves and hates Dark Souls simultaneously, I don't see Hollow Knight as lacking an explanation of game mechanics. I hate Dark Souls for that very reason but Hollow Knight does not have that issue. Finding the mapmaker is the only problem I see, but the good outweighs the bad.

    There are a few tiny rough edges to Hollow Knight. I had the bizarre experience of not realizing I could slash up or down. I thought I had tried once and it didn't work, so I never tried it again. Until I got stuck, unable to progress, because you had to down slash in order to get over a map obstacle to the next area. Then I looked it up and went "I THOUGHT I TRIED THAT?!"

    I donno, maybe it's congenital.

    This also meant I defeated several early bosses you need to down slash as they run/fly under you by instead slashing their backsides with pixel perfect precision as I leapt past them.

    That possibly totally unique hangup aside I broadly agree. While the game isn't exgressively tutorialized with heavy handed "Do this here" signposts everywhere (outside the very first are that shows you how to move, jump and attack I think?), it does a good job compartmentalizing which mechanics you need to intuit as you go.

    Now that I think about it, the ambiguous requirements to get the real ending also meet my criteria for "Dark Souls Bullshit." Not the requirements themselves but not knowing them. I mitigated this the same way I mitigated Dark Souls, by being glued to a wiki (which is also one of the only ways I can enjoy Dark Souls). I am of the opinion that if I have to reach for outside sources in a game, that is a failure on the game's part.

    See, this is what a lot of Souls fan like about the series. They want to discover things and go online and talk about it, read about what others have discovered, feel the sense of accomplishment, be punished by mistakes, etc.

    It sells like it does because of these things, not despite them. It's not a failure on the game's part, it's just not for you.

    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
    AxenBahamutZERO
  • nusunusu Registered User regular
    Any speculation about when the next Direct is happening? I want to know what the 2019 NESFlix games will be and what new fun awaits the first 3-6 months of 2019.

    Steam: nusu | Origin: nusu1828 | Bnet: nusu#1828
    Switch: SW-0297-2557-7111/Nusu1828 | PSN: spubiga
    Twitter/Discord/Twitch: Nusu1828
    Legacy
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna buy one of the "big" indies sometime soon so that I can finally play them for the first time; I'm currently leaning towards either Hollow Knight or Stardew Valley, though Undertale and Celeste are also in the running. I might wait for a sale, because so far I think none of them have gone on sale on Switch so far.

    Of the four, I say Stardew and Undertale. Those two are more relaxing/heartwarming, the other two are the hardcore difficults.

    Supposedly the insane difficulty of Celeste endears people to the experience -- I mean that sucker is brutal from the first moment. I think it's supposed to give a feeling of overcoming a struggle in a heartwarming way? I gave up after the first 30 minutes, but I should try it again.

    Meanwhile HK is ye olde Dark Souls, meaning bleak environment, no explanation of game mechanics and loads of bullshit to artificially make things more difficult.

    As someone who loves and hates Dark Souls simultaneously, I don't see Hollow Knight as lacking an explanation of game mechanics. I hate Dark Souls for that very reason but Hollow Knight does not have that issue. Finding the mapmaker is the only problem I see, but the good outweighs the bad.

    I managed to completely miss the fast travel thing because I didn't realize I was supposed to whack a random inert thing in the background when whacking similar inert things in the background did nothing, leading me to believe I couldn't access that yet without an upgrade or item.
    Figgy wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    Namrok wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna buy one of the "big" indies sometime soon so that I can finally play them for the first time; I'm currently leaning towards either Hollow Knight or Stardew Valley, though Undertale and Celeste are also in the running. I might wait for a sale, because so far I think none of them have gone on sale on Switch so far.

    Of the four, I say Stardew and Undertale. Those two are more relaxing/heartwarming, the other two are the hardcore difficults.

    Supposedly the insane difficulty of Celeste endears people to the experience -- I mean that sucker is brutal from the first moment. I think it's supposed to give a feeling of overcoming a struggle in a heartwarming way? I gave up after the first 30 minutes, but I should try it again.

    Meanwhile HK is ye olde Dark Souls, meaning bleak environment, no explanation of game mechanics and loads of bullshit to artificially make things more difficult.

    As someone who loves and hates Dark Souls simultaneously, I don't see Hollow Knight as lacking an explanation of game mechanics. I hate Dark Souls for that very reason but Hollow Knight does not have that issue. Finding the mapmaker is the only problem I see, but the good outweighs the bad.

    There are a few tiny rough edges to Hollow Knight. I had the bizarre experience of not realizing I could slash up or down. I thought I had tried once and it didn't work, so I never tried it again. Until I got stuck, unable to progress, because you had to down slash in order to get over a map obstacle to the next area. Then I looked it up and went "I THOUGHT I TRIED THAT?!"

    I donno, maybe it's congenital.

    This also meant I defeated several early bosses you need to down slash as they run/fly under you by instead slashing their backsides with pixel perfect precision as I leapt past them.

    That possibly totally unique hangup aside I broadly agree. While the game isn't exgressively tutorialized with heavy handed "Do this here" signposts everywhere (outside the very first are that shows you how to move, jump and attack I think?), it does a good job compartmentalizing which mechanics you need to intuit as you go.

    Now that I think about it, the ambiguous requirements to get the real ending also meet my criteria for "Dark Souls Bullshit." Not the requirements themselves but not knowing them. I mitigated this the same way I mitigated Dark Souls, by being glued to a wiki (which is also one of the only ways I can enjoy Dark Souls). I am of the opinion that if I have to reach for outside sources in a game, that is a failure on the game's part.

    See, this is what a lot of Souls fan like about the series. They want to discover things and go online and talk about it, read about what others have discovered, feel the sense of accomplishment, be punished by mistakes, etc.

    It sells like it does because of these things, not despite them. It's not a failure on the game's part, it's just not for you.

    Fair enough. Many of the Legend of Zelda puzzle solutions in the series have left me with a bitter how the fuck am I supposed to know that feeling I've held against games before.

    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    nusu wrote: »
    Any speculation about when the next Direct is happening? I want to know what the 2019 NESFlix games will be and what new fun awaits the first 3-6 months of 2019.

    Prepare in advance for Clu Clu Land, Pinball, Urban Champion and Hydlide.

    But I hope they give us a good RPG or action RPG before too long, the NES has some real classics along those lines. Square is unlikely to play along but they could give us Mother 1.

    Or maybe announce additional systems like SNES!?

    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Legacynusu
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    My guess: they were waiting to see how many NSO subs Smash sold. If it was as bad as they have been doing, they'd turn on the SNES games in January.

    Given the insane sales of Smash, they will probably announce several months of NES games instead.

    Legacy
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I got a Switch with a bonus check a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it! If I had bought some NES games on my 3DS awhile back, would they be tied to my Nintendo account and be available on the Switch? Or would I have to rebuy them? It was just 3 games so it's not a big deal, but it would be nice

    Also, I'm super enjoying Yonder. It's cute, simple, and relaxing and I love it.

    eg62xrm.jpg
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Any games bought on the 3ds stay there. Same with the WiiU. It’s one of the more frustrating aspects of Nintendo’s online approach to accounts and services.

    Twitch Page
    Hearthstone: mncdover#1994
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Steam ID
    BahamutZEROStormwatcher
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Well that's disappointing, but I should have guessed. Nintendo's online stuff has always been shit, I don't know why I thought they might have changed that

    eg62xrm.jpg
    LD50RidleySaria
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    I think the only way to play NES games on the Switch is to sign up for the multiplayer service.

    steam_sig.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah I kinda wish all accounts everywhere did that, but we're at this point where it's a thing that happens. I mean, hell, none of the ps3 games or ps1 games I bought work on my ps4 either.

    I know that everyone says that the NEXT generation will have backwards compatibility but there's no indication that it'll ever happen. XBO looks like the only system to actually provide a decent BC nowadays, right?

    I just assume every game I buy will "disappear" when the next console comes out, or I just buy it on Steam... That way I know I can always play it.

  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    I think the only way to play NES games on the Switch is to sign up for the multiplayer service.

    Yeah, I was planning on doing that anyway. I'll check out the NES games available when I do, though I think the regular games I have at the moment will be enough for now.

    eg62xrm.jpg
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    Man I want a true sequel to Fantasy Life on the Switch. I loved that game.

    Hm, maybe I should replay it. . . .

    I'm pretty sure my little sister would shank a motherfucker for a Fantasy Life 2 on Switch. She adored the first one and still breaks it out often.

    Easily my longest-played 3DS title. There's a Fantasy Life 2, but it's a free-to-play mobile title and yeah, it went about as bad as that phrase implies.

    I'd love a true sequel, but they've been quiet for so long... Put it this way - I've had time to plan, develop, and release my own game that has what I would consider a killer feature for Fantasy Life - the various Lives give permanent (though small) bonuses that continue to be useful in other Lives, so there's a very real point to maxing out every Life, besides simple completionist bent.

    So I'm not exactly holding my breath, is what I'm saying.

  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I know that everyone says that the NEXT generation will have backwards compatibility but there's no indication that it'll ever happen. XBO looks like the only system to actually provide a decent BC nowadays, right

    We're expecting backwards compatability on PS5/Xb1 specifically because we're expecting them to be AMD x86s again. No having to emulate something insane like the cell processor. Plus the Pro/X consoles show they already have a system to run older games compatibly on more powerful hardware.

    I don't count on a true Switch 2 to necessarily be backwards compatible, but I don't expect it anytime soon either. It could be Intel mobile GPUs by then for all we know.

  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    nusu wrote: »
    Any speculation about when the next Direct is happening? I want to know what the 2019 NESFlix games will be and what new fun awaits the first 3-6 months of 2019.

    There's always speculation happening. My stance is to not trust any of it until Nintendo's actually confirmed it and not before.

    Anyways, people suspect there's going to be a Direct in January, because there often is.

    ChiselphaneAndy Joe
Sign In or Register to comment.