As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Remember this is based on investor's perspective. According to them, BLOPS IV just failed, and ActiBlizz is circling the drain. For shareholders it's not good enough to succeed, you need to post astronomical growth.
    I think capitalism might be broken.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    You know I had to get Hyrule Warriors on sale now that all the extra content is wrapped up in a package. I don't understand why there's no rumblings of a sequel or of a new Nintendo IP Musou.

Well they do have a fire emblem game. What else could do they do?

Actually kirby sucking up huge amounts of enemies and spitting them out at other enemies and samus blasting waves upon waves of space pirates sounds pretty cool too.

Steam: offday
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Remember this is based on investor's perspective. According to them, BLOPS IV just failed, and ActiBlizz is circling the drain. For shareholders it's not good enough to succeed, you need to post astronomical growth. Similarly anything that isn't an original Wii or DS probably isn't "mainstream", i.e. something that hordes of non-"gamers" own.

I do actually expect them to push the handheld side, price cuts and all, next year somehow. They need to get Pokemon 2019 into more kids' hands, and they need to pre-empt 2020 Sony and MS machines making it look really outdated as a home console. Especially since both of them are probably going to have handheld streaming solutions of some kind.

I recall hearing that the company I work for needs to make at least a 6% increase in revenue each year or else they lose money due to things like raises, increasing health care costs for employees now older, etc. And that's just to break even, not to grow which is what investors look at.

In general, stock prices are much more about potential to grow. Mediocre stock prices in and of themselves don't necessarily mean a company is doomed.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Remember this is based on investor's perspective. According to them, BLOPS IV just failed, and ActiBlizz is circling the drain. For shareholders it's not good enough to succeed, you need to post astronomical growth.

Yeah, we're really getting into some late-stage capitalism bullshit, and that's across all industries really. This obsession that year-over-year growth is the only measure of success is toxic and unsustainable.

Also, is Pachter actually good at his job when it comes to other industries? Because if he's as wrong about everything else as often as he's wrong about video games, I don't understand why he's still working as an analyst.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    2019 should be a really good year for games. I think a lot of studios looked at RDR2 and decided to hold off on releasing for a few months.

I'm looking at NSMBU in January and DOA6 in February, at a minimum, Code Vein whenever that comes out, and probably some more WiiU up-ports/past-gen remasters on Switch through the year.

• edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

Indirect relation to Switch stuff: Nintendo decides not to be such a silly willy about YouTube, kills creator's program and posts new monetization rules.

Cats and dogs living together, mass euphoria.

There are some rules of course, but you can read those.

edzepp on
    2019 should be a really good year for games.

Seriously, if you're taking all platforms into account, January-March is absolutely insane with highly anticipated releases.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

Yeah, we're really getting into some late-stage capitalism bullshit, and that's across all industries really. This obsession that year-over-year growth is the only measure of success is toxic and unsustainable.

Also, is Pachter actually good at his job when it comes to other industries? Because if he's as wrong about everything else as often as he's wrong about video games, I don't understand why he's still working as an analyst.

Anylsts in general seem to be kind of crap. Maybe it's the bad ones getting more attention, I dunno.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Gotta be Prime time or Bayon3tta. I've given up hope about Retro Studios.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Is the 3DS dead yet? I'd like some of those late stage games to get ported over. Still haven't played the Metroid 2 remake or Xenoblade Chronicles. ;p

Oh brilliant
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I don't imagine many 3ds games will get ported due to the formfactor difference.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

If he's wrong most of the time, it's still valuable because then you just need to do the opposite of what he says.

But yeah, you'd think over the years whoever he works for would have taken away games industry analysis from him.

Also, Switch is cheaper than an iPad, but people buy millions of those, so why should it be cheaper? I'd rather give my kids a switch than a tablet.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    It's also... not expensive?

Like, adjusted for inflation the Switch is almost $20 cheaper than the Wii (which was a cheap console when it launched) and the economy is actually better today than it was in 2006.

LD50 wrote: »
    I don't imagine many 3ds games will get ported due to the formfactor difference.

So many (3)DS games had nothing of value on that second screen.

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Smash this, Pokemon that... Blah blah blah. WHEN IS ANIMAL CROSSING?!

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    they announced they are working on another animal crossing when they announced isabelle for smash at least

BahamutZERO.gif
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Like, adjusted for inflation the Switch is almost $20 cheaper than the Wii (which was a cheap console when it launched) and the economy is actually better today than it was in 2006.

the wii shipped with a great game and a functional controller packed-in.
    you need to add at least $110 to the switch price for that to be a valid comparison

you need to add at least $110 to the switch price for that to be a valid comparison

Fortnite, Paladins, Warframe... is Smite on Switch? That’s a pretty good roundup of F2P games.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018

Fortnite, Paladins, Warframe... is Smite on Switch? That’s a pretty good roundup of F2P games.

Smite was released a couple of weeks ago.

Edit: I take that back. It was put up on pre-purchase a couple weeks ago but isn't coming out until January 24th.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Also is the implication that the Switch controllers aren't functional? Gotta disagree there

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    A controller without a d-pad isn't functional. And Nintendo doesn't even sell those as accessories.

Its particularly egregious when like 90% of your library is 2Dish genres.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I'll argue that while the switch controllers are pretty great the joycon drifting issue is hot bullshit and a pretty massive design flaw.

I like the Cons, but mine are launch units so they've always had trouble. That's why I got a Pro for Smash.

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Joycons aren't perfect, but pretending that they're not a functional controller and the Wiimote somehow was is a bit bizarre. I don't even know what criteria you are using for that assessment.

While we're on controller talk...has anyone used any of the 8bitdo controllers? I like their aesthetic, and the dpads look like the style I enjoy. I'm looking for a new steam controller but I'd like something that can work with my Switch as well.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    TDawg wrote: »
    Joycons aren't perfect, but pretending that they're not a functional controller and the Wiimote somehow was is a bit bizarre. I don't even know what criteria you are using for that assessment.

While we're on controller talk...has anyone used any of the 8bitdo controllers? I like their aesthetic, and the dpads look like the style I enjoy. I'm looking for a new steam controller but I'd like something that can work with my Switch as well.

I have their SNES-style controller. Not the one with the analogs, the older one.

It feels really good. Nice weight, the D-pad is chunky in the right way, all around I am happy with it. I have a little problem getting the micro-USB cable seated in the charging port and I always feel like I'm pressing a little harder on the connection than I should have to, but that could just be my particular controller.

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    they announced they are working on another animal crossing when they announced isabelle for smash at least

I know... But no dates or nothing since then!

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    You know I had to get Hyrule Warriors on sale now that all the extra content is wrapped up in a package. I don't understand why there's no rumblings of a sequel or of a new Nintendo IP Musou.

Actually kirby sucking up huge amounts of enemies and spitting them out at other enemies and samus blasting waves upon waves of space pirates sounds pretty cool too.

I think a Xenoblade Warriors game could work. Sure, there's only three Xenoblade games so far, but Fire Emblem Warriors also only focused primarily on three of its games, so it'd be fine.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Omega Force don't give a fuck. Tell them a word and they'll charade a lawnmower-game at the room.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Omega Force don't give a fuck. Tell them a word and they'll charade a lawnmower-game at the room.

Punch-Out Warriors.

We can make this happen.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

I think a Xenoblade Warriors game could work. Sure, there's only three Xenoblade games so far, but Fire Emblem Warriors also only focused primarily on three of its games, so it'd be fine.

I'd want it more if they could get characters from Saga and Gears. I know KOS-MOS would be the obvious answer, but I'd love to see what potential moveset chaos would have.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular

They are too small to hold and use comfortably. My hands ache after using them in the grip for more than 30 minutes, and in less than 10 when using them loose.

They are too small to hold and use comfortably. My hands ache after using them in the grip for more than 30 minutes, and in less than 10 when using them loose.

Nintendo has never made a functional controller that released with the system.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Talking shit about the N64 controller? That's a paddlin'.

urahonky wrote: »

Man that thing was terrible, and I don't think there is a single N64 controller with a original stick that is still functional at this point.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Man that thing was terrible, and I don't think there is a single N64 controller with a original stick that is still functional at this point.

I blame Mario Party. That game was originally designed to sell more controllers.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Even Game Boy?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky

Even Game Boy?

Doesn't even have an analog stick, bruh.

Even Game Boy?

Oh, the Game Boy, the original GBA, and DS are fine. I wasn't thinking of them because they don't have separate controllers, but they're worth noting because of how stuff bad stuff like the SP/micro/3ds are.