As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Also, you need to update the title of this thread @Noggin

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Updated!

Thinking about it some more, it kinda seems like skull grasp will now be nearly meaningless, and even though tempest rush might make it to the skill bar, it’s supporting items still won’t.

I’m pretty sure players like svr will catch that though, and they were pretty good about feedback last patch.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
    I wish I understood a single thing you all have been talking about. But unless it deals with Multishot or Impale, I have no way of adding to this conversation. Even then I don't know my own class very well.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Yeah, Ambo's, my bead. I screwed that up.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

I only had a few minutes to try it but AoV (Fist of the Heavens Crusader) is more than a little underwhelming so far. The 4pc defense actually stacks pretty quickly from the bolts, but unsurprisingly the gameplay feels waaay too similar to Akkhan right now. Might've been nice if they found a way to break from Akarat's Champion the way N6M4 was able to drop vengeance, or Etched Sigil meteor could drop Archon. Also, the damage just isn't really there yet.

PoJ (Sweeping wind monk) sounds weak too, so they're probably just doing the usual 1) release it low, 2) buff the hell out of it, 3) meet in the middle.

On the plus side, the monk set transmog looks amazing, especially if you have CE wings since it's tyrael's aesthetic. AoV looks like Imperius, but a little plain? I'll keep an eye out for screenshots.

Whirlwind Auto-rend barb is apparently absurd.

https://youtu.be/FOJVHzwJCAc

This video covers a lot:
    - Male/Female Crusader/Monk set models
    - Seasonal kill streak effects
    - New portrait & tyrael-like goblin pet
    - Sprinter, Avarice, 3x65 gems, gr75, thrill

Sets:
    Wastes - ww barb (huge buffs currently)
    Roland - sweep attack crusader
    Unhallowed - multishot DH
    Raiment - generator monk
    Rathma - skele mage necro
    Helltooth - Gargantuan/firebat doc
    Tal Rasha - open ended, multi-element wiz

Sorry for triple post... I made some updates to the OP, which hadn’t been touched since season 16. Oops! I’ll try to find time to update the class advice section.

Meanwhile, 1 week to blizzcon and the supposed Diablo IV and Diablo 2 Remastered announcements... or a truly amazing hype train crash.

Noggin wrote: »
    Sorry for triple post... I made some updates to the OP, which hadn’t been touched since season 16. Oops! I’ll try to find time to update the class advice section.

Meanwhile, 1 week to blizzcon and the supposed Diablo IV and Diablo 2 Remastered announcements... or a truly amazing hype train crash.

Hoping for the former but expecting the latter.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Looks like I may be barbing it up this season.

OP WW sounds fun. I hope they don't nerf it.

HexDex wrote: »
    Looks like I may be barbing it up this season.

OP WW sounds fun. I hope they don't nerf it.

Even if they do it will probably still be amazing.

Plus it’s the free set, plus HotA got buffed, PLUS permafrost-slam looks pretty fun.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    So I have a second hand copy of this for switch winging it way too me soon. Any tips or things a newbie should know?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Give the campaign a shot, it’ll work as a good intro to the game without overloading you with features.

Once you have the campaign done, you’ll be better prepared to try out adventure mode. Seasonal characters can start in adventure mode automatically, so it’s an alternative to campaign for leveling while also acting as the endgame with random dungeons, bounties and the seasonal journey.

There’s A LOT to take in there though, so for now I’d just focus on taking your first character through the story.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    On that note, there's pretty much no reason not to make a seasonal character to start. You'll be locked out of the non-seasonal shared bank, but since you have no other characters anyway it's completely irrelevant.

Does anyone play on a laptop?

I’m pretty strongly considering getting one for convenience until my kids are older. We have one that I “play” on sometimes but it’s a real clunker from like 2013- Celeron something or other, 4gb ram... it somehow manages to chug along at 800x600 with everything low/off. :rotate:

I guess I’m mainly looking for what anyone else’s experience is, so I can start to wrap my head around what specs & price point to consider.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    but it’s a real clunker from like 2013- Celeron something or other, 4gb ram...
    Good lord...

forty wrote: »
    but it’s a real clunker from like 2013- Celeron something or other, 4gb ram...
    Good lord...

Ya it’s... it’s bad. My PC is still great for it despite showing age (i7-4???, 8gb, gtx760) but much less accessible.

I'm amazed it can even run the game. Windows 7?

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    I dunno what I'll go this season. Probably DH, just to get the season done with. Starting UE, you almost can't go wrong.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    forty wrote: »
    I'm amazed it can even run the game. Windows 7?

I think it was, but was forced up to 10. I have to close everything and run the 32bit client haha
    Klatu wrote: »
    I dunno what I'll go this season. Probably DH, just to get the season done with. Starting UE, you almost can't go wrong.

I’m kinda into the new sets but they need major buffs first, especially monk. Might have to spin to win.

Starting with DH is never wrong.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    What's that? You want to clear GR90s on the first day with minimal effort? Then you want to try our "Old reliable" UE DH. It clears screens and is disgustingly OP at the low low price of half your FPS. If you'd rather pay us all your FPS, then Tals wizard may appeal to you.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    What's that? You want to clear GR90s on the first day with minimal effort? Then you want to try our "Old reliable" UE DH. It clears screens and is disgustingly OP at the low low price of half your FPS. If you'd rather pay us all your FPS, then Tals wizard may appeal to you.

This is the D3 version of the Skyrim sneak archer. This season I'm going to start with an awesome leapquake barb...aaaaand I'm a UE DH again.

Community question: Should we flip this thread to be about Diablo in general, or have separate threads if D2 / 4 are about to be revealed?

I’ll hold off from injecting my opinion for now and give others a chance to comment.

Personally I think that this could be the discussion about all Diablo since yeah, not many of us still play D3. I know that Zero and I used to play a ton, but Zero discovered Breath of the Wild and now that takes all the free D3 time. We do play the season but after that is done everybody knows that we fall off the planet.

So I vote merging them all to a general Diablo thread is ok and might bring some life to the thread. Then again, it might make it move so fast I can't keep up and the D3 stuff get buried. Dangit, why did I have to think about that.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I think it could probably be merged into a general Diablo thread at least until close to when Diablo 4 comes out then it would probably make sense as Diablo 4 only and then another thread for old Diablo games.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    edited October 2019
    Def just merge into the all things Diablo thread.

When D4 comes out, D3 is going to effectively be dead. There will be D2HD and D4 to talk about, and I think those games can live in the same thread, unless things get crazy wild.

HexDex on

I think I’ve seen it both ways and wasn’t sure if there was any forum convention.

I agree for now, because it can always be split off later at release if needed. Continuing with dates in the title should help with any potential burying.

• ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    I assumed this was already a general Diablo thread, despite the title lol.

It kind of was, ya, but did still have 3 in the title. Plus, it seemed like discussion was starting to dominate the Blizz classics thread, where I’d like to be able to see any WC3 news.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

I’m pretty strongly considering getting one for convenience until my kids are older. We have one that I “play” on sometimes but it’s a real clunker from like 2013- Celeron something or other, 4gb ram... it somehow manages to chug along at 800x600 with everything low/off. :rotate:

I guess I’m mainly looking for what anyone else’s experience is, so I can start to wrap my head around what specs & price point to consider.

Integrated graphics and thermal throttling tend to still be issues these days. "Gaming" usually requires something a bit clunkier than the average notebook, but their are compromises out there. I would look for dedicated GPUs and look at how that specific laptop benchmarks for games, to know where the thermal limits are.

Or just get a Switch if its just D3 you are after.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I know we were talking about possibilities about D4 going forward in comparison to other ARPG titles, and how they handle complexity/diversity of builds.

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I know we were talking about possibilities about D4 going forward in comparison to other ARPG titles, and how they handle complexity/diversity of builds.

I kind of took a break from following the thread so I'm not sure how much discussion has happened already but I'd be curious how they go about this. It feels like with how they had to plaster over solving the RMAH that they shut down with smart loot and sets being the only way to play at any high level that there is going to have to be a radical departure in gearing in order to set a solid foundation for Diablo 4. It'll be interesting to see how approachable they set skills/gear/mechanics, since D3 was really simplistic in comparison to other modern ARPGs. I think they need to avoid multiplicative effects so we don't get damage values in the billions and find a way to take and manage chip damage (while also avoiding large windup OHK attacks) at high levels of play. I think Blizzard has latched onto the "easily accessible" end of things but I hope there will be enough item affix additions (like things that change how skills work) and randomization to prevent massive cookie cutter building.

Video game design is hard.

Integrated graphics and thermal throttling tend to still be issues these days. "Gaming" usually requires something a bit clunkier than the average notebook, but their are compromises out there. I would look for dedicated GPUs and look at how that specific laptop benchmarks for games, to know where the thermal limits are.

Or just get a Switch if its just D3 you are after.

I do have a switch but I’m only interested in PC Diablo- for controls, clan, leaderboard, no hacks...

Dedicated gpu is a good point, as is an SSD. My desktop was occasionally hitching until I got the latter.

It also seems likely that it could be years between a D4 announcement and release, with long periods of nothing D4 related to really talk about, so I think it's reasonable to have this thread be all things Diablo for a good long while.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    m!ttens wrote: »

I kind of took a break from following the thread so I'm not sure how much discussion has happened already but I'd be curious how they go about this. It feels like with how they had to plaster over solving the RMAH that they shut down with smart loot and sets being the only way to play at any high level that there is going to have to be a radical departure in gearing in order to set a solid foundation for Diablo 4. It'll be interesting to see how approachable they set skills/gear/mechanics, since D3 was really simplistic in comparison to other modern ARPGs. I think they need to avoid multiplicative effects so we don't get damage values in the billions and find a way to take and manage chip damage (while also avoiding large windup OHK attacks) at high levels of play. I think Blizzard has latched onto the "easily accessible" end of things but I hope there will be enough item affix additions (like things that change how skills work) and randomization to prevent massive cookie cutter building.

On the other hand, if you include multiplicative damage you also open up the door for lower level items (uniques, probably) to still be relevant during the endgame. Also, I'm all for the design decision that legendaries/uniques should have a specific function that makes them so powerful, and rares should just be the most powerful when it comes to stats. I think that kind of design allows for a lot more freedom of build choice instead of there being 1-2 items that are BiS.

jungleroomx on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular

On the other hand, if you include multiplicative damage you also open up the door for lower level items (uniques, probably) to still be relevant during the endgame. Also, I'm all for the design decision that legendaries/uniques should have a specific function that makes them so powerful, and rares should just be the most powerful when it comes to stats. I think that kind of design allows for a lot more freedom of build choice instead of there being 1-2 items that are BiS.

Nobody wants to have a reason to choose a rare over a legendary though, that's not a fun choice. I want a legendary in every slot in the end game. I think they need to be careful with direct skill damage boosts as legendary powers though, especially the ones that synergize with each other. The presence of those skill damage multipliers effectively reduces the viable skill pool to only the ones with legendaries tailored to increasing their damage. Sets are especially guilty of this.

edited October 2019
    Zek wrote: »

Nobody wants to have a reason to choose a rare over a legendary though, that's not a fun choice. I want a legendary in every slot in the end game. I think they need to be careful with direct skill damage boosts as legendary powers though, especially the ones that synergize with each other. The presence of those skill damage multipliers effectively reduces the viable skill pool to only the ones with legendaries tailored to increasing their damage. Sets are especially guilty of this.

I mean, why not? Especially if you leave the stats a bit more open and malleable in crafting it opens up a lot of possibilities for build options. And you may have a build with a rare sword, but another that needs a legendary staff because of a status effect it has, and you could craft up some serious rares given enough crafting mats.

Unless a robust crafting system isn't in the cards for D4, then I could see legendaries being the endgame endall?

But I like the idea of making your own badass sword more than just a cookie cutter unique. This not only expands the viable skill pool (since the damage would have to be more generic, right?), but gives the player and endgame goal besides "grind until you get more %."

jungleroomx on
    The prospect of rares being good enough is fun right up until the game is raining them by the dozens.

And as soon as you say “loot filter” or whatever, it begs the question why that many items are dropping in the first place.

edited October 2019
    The prospect of rares being good enough is fun right up until the game is raining them by the dozens.

And as soon as you say “loot filter” or whatever, it begs the question why that many items are dropping in the first place.

Nah, there definitely needs to be a limit on the stuff. I know PoE's big problem is if they reduce the drops, people with Animate Weapon or other skills get screwed, which is why they have the loot filter.

I don't see an issue with them being limited in drops. Not as limited as legendaries, obviously, but limited.

jungleroomx on
    I meant to add that I did like that d2 had eth, superior, and the ability to upgrade item tiers.

That sort of random “trash” item can be fun when you know what it can be used for.

This discussion has been closed.