As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Most of the zones in D3 don't really provoke a reaction from me, but the bug temple makes me want to burn that place to the ground.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    They also patched fun into the game over the years considering the original PC release was...not fun at all.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Okay so help me out y'all- I haven't played in a while but I am sorely tempted to pick this up on the Switch while it's on sale. I used to play on PS4 but haven't logged on since Energy Twister Sorcs were the top build, a bit before Necromancers and Primals were added.

-What all has changed since then?
    -How is it on the Switch?
    -Can you still trade with yourself and if so do you need the Switch online service to do it?

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    - I don't remember if the cube was out around then, but it gives you three extra powers to use in your build, a weapon, armor and jewelry item.
    - There's new skill-boosting items and a few new sets, a new set for DH and Necro are expected this summer-ish.

- I haven't played it on switch but heard it's good. Switch makes most things good!

- There should still be a shared stash (right? switch people?) and doesn't need online, unless you want to be online that is.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I grabbed the Switch version the night before last to see if I could swing it and if the kids liked it to play together during these trying times, and I had no eggs.

It's good!

If you're used to the PC version, there's definitely some adjustment; while pretty much all the systems are exactly the same, all the menus and UI are completely different. I'm still not totally convinced that the PC UI wouldn't have worked just fine, but the Switch one works really well once you're used to it.

Also, the playing with a controller thing. I learned pretty quickly that any build on the PC that more or less requires numlock isn't going to fly on the Switch, some of those builds if the ability drops for even a second there's a good chance you're dead. For softcore that's just an inconvenience, but if I ever want to give HC a shot on Switch, I'm going to avoid Necro like the plague.

For what is shared and stuff on the Switch, it's everything that there is on PC. It's no different, though you might have to do it slightly differently (no inventory tetris, for instance, just slots, there's good and bad about it). You still have the stash, your "account" still has shared vendors, stash space, etc. Still seasons, journeys, all the achievements (called challenges), etc.

As far as what requires Nintendo Online, afaik, just playing online. If you're playing local lan or on the same screen, no connection is required. Apparently you have to be connected to at least make a seasonal character, but afterward you don't need to be online, even for the journeys; but if you're playing offline you won't go on leaderboards (whoop-de-do). But if you're only going to play at home or with nearby people, you don't need the service. However, online play, as I said, still requires the sub; but I haven't tried it, as I can't say I've ever played a diablo game with pubs, and I don't really feel a need to. Regardless, it is actually portable in the sense that unlike PC, if you don't have a connection, you can still play (and as long as you've already created a seasonal character if that's what you want to play).

Visuals, it's Diablo 3. I was actually surprised at how good it looked and smoothly it ran, though once you start getting into higher difficulties and tons of abilities and affixes are flying with lots of density, framerates do drop, but nothing unplayable. It's got the usual switch port blurriness and low poly models; but Diablo 3 doesn't exactly have high poly models to begin with, and outside of the character select screen you will almost never notice. The camera is weirdly tilted, compared to the PC version, that is more typical isometric. It's like somewhere between that normal isometric view and the PC version zoom in. It makes less of a difference than you'd think, but it makes the minimap more important because it's less clear on screen where you can go since you don't have as broad of a playing field. However, when you play multiplayer on the same console, if you start spreading out, it zooms right out to the "normal" zoom you'd be accustomed to on PC, and I honestly am not sure why they did that there and not solo. It does change how, at least (haven't done all the bosses in the version), the Belial fight feels. Puts you down there closer, spins the room around as you move around to dodge his smashes. It's actually super awesome and the pc fight feels crazy boring now. :lol:

Also, the digital version is only $30 on the eshop, and IMO totally worth it. Like I said, it has all of the features that the PC version has, including a super ugly Ganon transmog and far more importantly a chicken pet (and a hyrule portrait frame, but it's kinda gaudy if you ask me).

The one big knock I'll give it, and this will be different person to person, is that I find it really hard to play handheld. It doesn't adjust for being undocked so text is still quite small and can be hard to read. But that could also be me turning 40 in a couple months and my eyes just aren't what they used to be. :rotate:

EDIT: Oh, incidentally? That crusader challenge rift I was bitching about earlier this week? Super easy on Switch. Since force move is literally how it's played there, all the abilities worked together far better and aside form it still being squishy since it was relying on goldwrap for defense, I wouldn't be surprised if the person the build came from was a console player (does the ps4/xb1 versions have the same UI?).

EDIT2: One thing I'm not sure of is how it handles multiple accounts on the same console. There are other digital games we've got that regardless of who the game is tied to (it's the "main" console for both kids accounts) they can both log in as their own unique users without any issue; but if it's a game I own digitally and put it on their console, they have to load the game as me or they don't have rights, since it is my "secondary" console. I'm hoping, fingers crossed, that they both will have their own "accounts" in Diablo 3 buying it digitally for just one of them. It doesn't link to your Blizzard account or anything, seems all local, so I'm hoping it goes well, don't want to have to buy it a 3rd time for no good reason, unless they get a 3rd switch at some point, but we will deal with that when we come to it. Either way I should know by tomorrow, as I'm not staying up late enough to wait for it to download.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    Doesn’t the game need to phone home once a week or so to keep letting you play seasonal?

• Options
    That is something I haven't tested, but googling some seems to indicate that you need to be connected to start a seasonal character and/or if you reload the game via either exiting fully to the top menu (never required) or shutting down the game completely. I do know that you can largely play offline, but I can't personally confirm if there are periodic check-ins required.

I do know from messing with it with my kids is that guest accounts on a console can't save their characters, or make seasonal characters. What we didn't try was having everyone choose the same account, but the kids don't have their accounts on my Switch. I bought it last night on theirs, so I'll find out in a bit how it handles different accounts on the same console.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Playing co-op story with a friend, first time back since launch

Is there no specific Daibo category in crafting? I'm around lvl 34, with the Smith at rank 6 or 7

Can't find it, so I'm guessing they come randomly from the Staff category?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    The official site game guide has a crafting list and ya, apparently the only rare Diabo is level 70. There’s low level legendary ones, but you’d have to run bounties or find em on a gob.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    2.6.9 PTR begins 5/21, for Season 21 - Trials of Tempests
    Your character will occasionally (every 2 minutes) channel an elemental power which unleashes into the environment for a limited time:
    • Meteors rain from the skies around you.
    • Breathe lightning.
    • A wall of flame engulfs everything.
    • Release twisters of pure energy.
    • Crush your foes under the weight of rolling snowballs.

DH Set and item changes: Gears of Dreadlands ( ...primaries? Impale buff )
    New Demon Hunter Set: Gears of Dreadlands
    2-Piece Bonus
    Gain a Momentum stack when attacking with a Primary skill. Each Momentum stack lasts 2 seconds at a maximum duration of 10 seconds. Your Primary skills deal 10% more damage per stack of Momentum.
    4-Piece Bonus
    Casting Strafe against enemies will automatically shoot your last used primary skill, and also give 60% damage reduction while strafing and for 5 seconds after. While casting Strafe, you move faster per stack of Momentum.
    6-Piece Bonus
    Your primary skills deal 10000% more damage

Leonine Bow of Hashir
    Bolas have a 30% 100% chance on explosion to pull in all enemies within 24 yards, and also deal 100-150% increased damage.

Emimei's Duffel
    Bolas now explode instantly and deal 150-175% increased damage.

The Ninth Cirri Satchel
    Hungering Arrow has 20-25% is guaranteed to pierce and also deals 450-600% increased damage.

Odyssey's End
    Enemies snared by your Entangling Shots take 20-25% 100-150% increased damage from all sources.

Hunter's Wrath
    Your primary skills attack 30% faster and deal 45-60% 150-200% increased damage.

Holy Point Shot
    Impale throws 2 additional knives and deals 75-100% increased damage.

Necro Set, item, and skill!? changes: Masquerade of Burning Carnival ( Simulacrum and bone spears )
    2-Piece Bonus
    Your Simulacrums no longer take damage, gains all runes, and its cooldown is refreshed when you die.
    4-Piece Bonus
    While you have a Simulacrum, damage is reduced by 50%. Damage you take is split with your Simulacrums as well.
    6-Piece Bonus
    Your Bone Spear deals 10,000% increased damage. Simulacrums gain triple this bonus.

Grasps of Essence
    When an exploded corpse damages at least one enemy, Your Corpse Explosion deals 75-100% 150-200% increased damage for 6 seconds, stacking up to 5 times.

Haunted Visions
    Simulacrum now drains 5% 1% of your maximum life every second and lasts twice as long forever. They can now duplicate Grim Scythe instead of Skeletal Mage.

Razeth's Volition
    Skeletal Mage gains the effect of the Gift of Death and Singularity runes. You gain 35-50% damage reduction if your Essence is not full.

Jesseth Arms
    2-Piece Set Bonus: While your skeletons are commanded to attack a target, you deal 400% increased damage.

Grace of Inarius
    4-Piece Set Bonus: Bone Armor grants an additional 2% 3% damage reduction per enemy hit.

Pestilence Master's Shroud
    6-Piece Set Bonus: Each corpse you consume grants you an Empowered Bone Spear charge that increases the damage of your next Bone Spear by 3300%. In addition, Corpse Lance and Corpse Explosion damage is increased by 1650% 3300%.

Final Service
    No longer consumes pets.

Bone Prison
    Simulacrums now benefit from this passive skill. (chance to trap)

Serration
    Simulacrums now benefit from this passive skill. (like Zei's)

Corpse Explosion
    Damage increased from 350% to 1050%.

Crusader shotgun nerf:
    Shield of Fury: This effect may stack up to 20 10 times.

Spirit Barrage Doc nerf:
    The Spectres from the Phantasm rune no longer benefit from pet bonuses.

Stone of Jordan
    Added power: All elemental damage bonuses to skills are now equal to your highest elemental bonus to skills.[/b]

Reaper's Wraps
    Added a 2-second internal cooldown to the Health globe effect.

Mantle of Channeling
    Now works with the Necromancer's Siphon Blood.

Convention of Elements
    Added "non-static" to the wording of the legendary power's description. The functionality is unchanged

Noggin on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Primary Attack buff for DH. Wonder how much more insane the Shadow set will be with the buff.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Primary Attack buff for DH. Wonder how much more insane the Shadow set will be with the buff.

I forget if it was still seeing high level use. Either way, double damage is +4-5 GRs.

Also, now that I'm not triple posting, I'm really excited to see if the Necro set and changes will be as good as they seem. I've wanted Simulacrum & Spear to be a thing, so I'm hopeful.

Also also, Necro 2pc & 4pc has interesting wording, in that it kinda seems like you get the standard 50% DR and a relic/follower-like 33% DR.

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »

I forget if it was still seeing high level use. Either way, double damage is +4-5 GRs.

Also, now that I'm not triple posting, I'm really excited to see if the Necro set and changes will be as good as they seem. I've wanted Simulacrum & Spear to be a thing, so I'm hopeful.

Also also, Necro 2pc & 4pc has interesting wording, in that it kinda seems like you get the standard 50% DR and a relic/follower-like 33% DR.

I hope it's 50% and then a 3-way split, just to see how crazy durable it is with a Unity/immortal follower on top of it.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I'd basically put this down, but oh man, i might have to come bakc and give this a crack again just for the implied crazy Simulcaran Necro build. That sounds fun! Just fucking shotgun bone spears around the place.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Lorek wrote: »

I hope it's 50% and then a 3-way split, just to see how crazy durable it is with a Unity/immortal follower on top of it.

Pluuuus, one of the Simulacrum runes makes any curse apply all 3, so slotting frailty aura w/ eternal torment passive gets you free decrep on anything you run by, plus dayntee's binding, potentially plus razeth's (50% dr if less than full essence)...

Tankromancer

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »

Pluuuus, one of the Simulacrum runes makes any curse apply all 3, so slotting frailty aura w/ eternal torment passive gets you free decrep on anything you run by, plus dayntee's binding, potentially plus razeth's (50% dr if less than full essence)...

Tankromancer

Given the thing that made me stop playing Necro was its' tendency to evaporate if things tickled it funny, i'm all for "Fuck you, i'm invincible" necro.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Each Momentum stack lasts 2 seconds at a maximum duration of 10 seconds.
    ??????

Also, why nerf Reaper's Wraps? That seems lame.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    so that's a new spin-2-win DH set?

strafe/bolas for speed farming?

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Reaper's: almost definitely 4-player "rat run" fatigue.

DH: Could be interesting/hilarious. Almost wonder if it'd be worth it to run Leonine/Enemei's/NinthCirri and both Bola & Hungering. Since strafe auto-casts the "last used primary", you could actually have a build that swaps between aoe and single target at will.
    edit - probably not though? Could just be Dawn as usual.

Noggin on
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Clan people till thinking about doing Hardcore for this next season to start? I'd be in for that and my son would play whatever mode I do. These season have been shorter and shorter play times for us before getting bored and not finishing them and Hardcore might be a fun change to do from start.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    I'm still down for a hard core start to the season!

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    CSStheGr8CSStheGr8 Registered User regular
    Aw man. I was really hoping for an elemental arrow set.

3DS FC: 2363-6921-5075
  • Options
    Incindium wrote: »
    Clan people till thinking about doing Hardcore for this next season to start? I'd be in for that and my son would play whatever mode I do. These season have been shorter and shorter play times for us before getting bored and not finishing them and Hardcore might be a fun change to do from start.
    HexDex wrote: »
    I'm still down for a hard core start to the season!

Ohh, yeah HC. That might be good to keep the interest longer!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I'm still interested in a HC start

• Options
    Necro got some nice buffs.

Never played a sacred shield crusader, I assume that is a big nerf?

I get why they changed the SB pet damage thing, but my annoyance with it is that it will mean that it's likely going to just fall into yet another CoE reliant build for pushing, and CoE can get bent.

The new DH set, with the other legendary changes, I assume they are intending it to be a bolas thing? I mean, duffel/leonine/imminent doom will just be stupid. add in hunters wrath on your body, depth diggers in the cube and welp. Probably keep dawn in the cube to have perma vengance just lobbing shit everywhere like multishot, without having to have any slight slowdown while blowing through packs. It's too bad next seasons haedrig set is impale for DH. Though, looking at the list, I'm not a huge fan of most of the haedrig sets next season. Maybe I'll start with necro since inarius is fine for solo play and do a DH with folks here.

Looking at the DH bonuses though, I feel like that's not going to go live like that. The 2pc is garbage, but I understand they need to make the 6pc a big bonus (even if it is really boring), and the interplay with each other means they'd have to nerf the 6pc to bring up the 2pc. getting an extra 100% primary skill damage with non stop primary use is simply not comparable to, say, the arachnyr 2pc on WD or many other options (raekor, etc). I have no idea how they'd balance the 2pc and 6pc but right now it looks like the 2pc is just dumb. The only DH set you could integrate it with is Natalya's, and that doesn't really rely on primary skills for damage. We will see I guess.

I have no opinion on the reapers wraps, as I never did rat runs, and didn't really use them much to begin with. I'm sure it's going to tick more than a few people off though.

Unrelated to the patch, as of yesterday consoles still hadn't gotten this weeks challenge rift. I wonder if it's finally up today?

Also the Boss Mode on Switch was a bitch. Supposedly the timer is paused on loading? It didn't seem that way. it took many hours of attempts before I got it, and if I was playing the exact same build (ww barb) on PC I would have gotten it first try.

I'm not sure the 350 kill cursed chest is very possible on console, solo. I've got my MS DH with, as far as I can tell, about as maxed attack speed as I can muster, and even though everything dies instantly, things simply don't spawn fast enough for me to get more than ~325. I think I could probably swing it with a bit of luck, however, reloading looking for the chest on Switch is hellish, as load times are atrocious (relative to PC). So, after about 5 hours of trying last night I've decided later today I'm just going to do a few more set dungeons and get that challenge instead. Which I probably should have done in the first place. That'll be it for the season journey on switch anyway, and with the PTR going live soon, it's a good time to wrap it up.

And I also am into HC for next season. The seasonal buff though...weird. Every 2 minutes? That isn't going to line up very well with any sort of speed farming, though I guess if you're pushing, you could reliably use it. I guess we will see how it works out. Is it a seasonal buff they've had before? I missed the first 18 seasons :P

• Options
    Crusader shield nerf isn’t too bad. It’s an absurdly powerful build, and that nerf is not nearly as bad as SB doc losing MoJ. Oof... but then again, you could easily tear through 100ish without it, so it’ll still be fun.

I think we have to wait to see how PTR goes for DH, but it definitely sounds like strafe and auto-bolas. 2pc should be fine, though the wording is a little strange for now.

And ya, at this point speeds are so fast and so mindless that it won’t really matter anyway. Probably amusing for leveling. It is a new buff.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    And I also am into HC for next season. The seasonal buff though...weird. Every 2 minutes? That isn't going to line up very well with any sort of speed farming, though I guess if you're pushing, you could reliably use it. I guess we will see how it works out. Is it a seasonal buff they've had before? I missed the first 18 seasons :P
    Nope, it's new. They've only been doing the Season buff for the last few seasons, no repeats yet. I agree this one doesn't sound very interesting.

• Options
    Thinking about the new necro set and bits and bobs - something that immediately sticks out as potentially really good is taking Haunted Visions and Razeeth's ontop of the new set. Grim Scythe with Cursed Scythe, and you can just start reaping like crazy while dropping Poison bomb skeletons in the middle of things. (Though i wish it was clear if Visions text change means it can still dupe skeletons).

Potentially there's some fun with stacking both Relena's and Naryrs here - Take bone spear with it's poison rune and throw it out to nail stragglers while you're in a crowd... or to just obliterate the crowd given your Simulcrans will cast it too.

Might turn out it's better to go with Bone Spear - Shatter and take Maltorious's spike instead, and just kill things from across the screen.

• Options
    I think it pretty clearly won’t work with skeletons anymore, if and only if using haunted visions, otherwise it would have no need to mention mages in the text.

Grim Scythe is certainly going to be much nicer with the ability to have poison singularities, but would also be an inarius/LoD build. You’d do zippo dmg with the new set, which will probably be cycle/spike/ancient offhand.

• Options
    Oof, PTR delayed until sometime next week. Really looking forward to trying the necro changes

• Options
    Oof, PTR delayed until sometime next week. Really looking forward to trying the necro changes

Aw man. Zero was looking forward to trying the DH set out.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    That too. It sounds like Reaper from Overwatch, only less edgelord and more explosions

• Options
    That too. It sounds like Reaper from Overwatch, only less edgelord and more explosions

Reaper? You are speaking words I do not know.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Bets, you can see it here (5th round button) https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/reaper/

It's very strafe-like

• Options
    Bets, you can see it here (5th round button) https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/reaper/

It's very strafe-like

Oh yeah that does. Very strafe like.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    I always enjoyed strafe as a skill. Mechanically it feels good, like whirlwind, but instead of smashing into mobs, you are kiting away from them.

Feels kinda like Smash TV to me, but in Diablo 3. I dig it, really looking forward to the set.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    HexDex wrote: »
    I always enjoyed strafe as a skill. Mechanically it feels good, like whirlwind, but instead of smashing into mobs, you are kiting away from them.

Feels kinda like Smash TV to me, but in Diablo 3. I dig it, really looking forward to the set.

Favorite build ever in diablo was the strafe build using the ... belt that makes big booms? This was like 5 years ago. Anyway, yeah, strafe is the best.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    PezRadar, Community Manager:
    Hi everyone

Back with that update I promised. It’s a good one!

We are aiming to have PTR up tomorrow afternoon (Pacific Time). We will update the blog posts and have threads up when things go live tomorrow.

Thanks for all your patience on this. We are looking forward to the feedback!

PTR delay is almost over, aww ya

• Options
    PezRadar, Community Manager:
    Hi everyone

Back with that update I promised. It’s a good one!

We are aiming to have PTR up tomorrow afternoon (Pacific Time). We will update the blog posts and have threads up when things go live tomorrow.

Thanks for all your patience on this. We are looking forward to the feedback!

PTR delay is almost over, aww ya

Nice, glad they found the bugs.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Oh a challenge mode with SB WD!

Oh a SB WD that has Ring of Emptiness but neither Haunt, nor Pestilence on the bars and no Wormwood in the cube! And no Mask either!

And First Spider bracers...with no fire bats. And dogs and garg because....?

Well, lets see how this goes.

EDIT: Wasn't as bad as I was expecting, definitely less annoying than the last time WD rolled around with dagger of darts. This one just relied entirely on the SB damage buff from Mundu, and absolutely nothing else at all that they were using provided any real benefit otherwise. At least put pestilence on your bar yo! You've got the ring, you've got the fetish for it. :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on

This discussion has been closed.