As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Man, I feel bad for the Necro. All but two other class sets were buffed significantly, and only one Necro set was barely buffed.

Don't. The Necro was so OP that it was a required class for all deep rift pushing. None of the class sets were buffed because buffing those sets would put its pushing build above all the other classes again. Even though necro wasn't buffed, the corpse lance build is still probably going to be used for pushing rifts.
    No, I get that at the highest level of play. But in my "casual play" experience, Necro never felt distinctly more powerful than the other classes to me. I feel like at the casual level, Necro is going to feel like a weaker class now. Maybe just for me.

FWIW, on that presumed 2.6.4 tier list someone posted way back, all the necro builds were Tier A-D.

If it was the Rhykker video, that is just for solo pushing levels, but he mentions his theory for the reason the Necro didn't get any bumps is because it takes up two spots in high level speed rift pushing with no other classes being able to displace them because they're that good in the group environment.

steam_sig.png
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    There's a practical consideration to dropping items instead of dropping mats: Items take up inventory space, which means that if you want to keep picking up all drops, at a certain point you will have to stop exploding demons and take a trip back to town to offload your junk.

Similar for letting pets auto-pick up gems and materials: not having to pick up stuff means you don't have to stop moving and killing mobs, which changes various things (buffs now effectively last longer because you spend more time in combat, builds that rely on bull-rush-style abilities become more viable because you don't ever need to not be bull rushing, etc).

Now, mind you, these might all be good things - but they are not purely QOL changes, and would have impact that would cascade through other game systems. So, the designers would have to decide whether or not those changes are in line with how they envision the game.

Fair enough - though maybe one or the other isn't so bad, it would be doing both that would throw things out of whack. Honestly that chaotic constantly moving death train is the most fun for me, I loved DH and Barb spin-to-win for that reason.

96058.png?1619393207
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Man, I feel bad for the Necro. All but two other class sets were buffed significantly, and only one Necro set was barely buffed.

Don't. The Necro was so OP that it was a required class for all deep rift pushing. None of the class sets were buffed because buffing those sets would put its pushing build above all the other classes again. Even though necro wasn't buffed, the corpse lance build is still probably going to be used for pushing rifts.
    No, I get that at the highest level of play. But in my "casual play" experience, Necro never felt distinctly more powerful than the other classes to me. I feel like at the casual level, Necro is going to feel like a weaker class now. Maybe just for me.

FWIW, on that presumed 2.6.4 tier list someone posted way back, all the necro builds were Tier A-D.

Yeah at the casual level Necro feels about the same, but even at the casual level of play, 4 friends can still do Rat runs.
    2x Rathma Necros summoning skel mages
    1x support necro generating health orbs / freezing mobs.
    1x Barb collecting health orbs

Rat runs are possible with even the bare minimum of gear, and the better your gear the better you do. How do you buff Rathma without cementing rat runs as the only viable way to grind para?

While still on casual play, pestilence necro is the best solo necro GR push class. It requires a decent amount of CDR but it's not impossible to put together in casual play. You can't buff pestilence without making pesti even more powerful.

Now we go to the high levels of play, Inarius. Currently, at GR 135+ in 4 man content, Inarius is the king of rift guardian killers, but only for like 40% of the bosses, but the 40% that it works on, Inarius kills them in under 15 secs. You can't buff Inarius without making Inarius expected at 135+, and if it got a buff, it would leak to the lower GRs as well. As mentioned in another video though, the easiest way to fix this problem is to remove thorns from Necros.

Trags is the weakest all round of the necro sets (in that it's only use is solo pushing, and pesti is better in every way currently, but only just), and its problem is unique in that they can't buff it too much otherwise it instantly replaces pestilence and then pesti becomes the "weakest". You can fix this by removing the blood rune option from corpse lance, and then forcing trags to use other options.

I'm fine with necros not getting much attention, I'd like something to replace rat runs ffs :)

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

If it was the Rhykker video, that is just for solo pushing levels, but he mentions his theory for the reason the Necro didn't get any bumps is because it takes up two spots in high level speed rift pushing with no other classes being able to displace them because they're that good in the group environment.
    It was an image, not the video.
    Klatu wrote: »

Yeah at the casual level Necro feels about the same, but even at the casual level of play, 4 friends can still do Rat runs.
    2x Rathma Necros summoning skel mages
    1x support necro generating health orbs / freezing mobs.
    1x Barb collecting health orbs

Rat runs are possible with even the bare minimum of gear, and the better your gear the better you do. How do you buff Rathma without cementing rat runs as the only viable way to grind para?

While still on casual play, pestilence necro is the best solo necro GR push class. It requires a decent amount of CDR but it's not impossible to put together in casual play. You can't buff pestilence without making pesti even more powerful.

Now we go to the high levels of play, Inarius. Currently, at GR 135+ in 4 man content, Inarius is the king of rift guardian killers, but only for like 40% of the bosses, but the 40% that it works on, Inarius kills them in under 15 secs. You can't buff Inarius without making Inarius expected at 135+, and if it got a buff, it would leak to the lower GRs as well. As mentioned in another video though, the easiest way to fix this problem is to remove thorns from Necros.

Trags is the weakest all round of the necro sets (in that it's only use is solo pushing, and pesti is better in every way currently, but only just), and its problem is unique in that they can't buff it too much otherwise it instantly replaces pestilence and then pesti becomes the "weakest". You can fix this by removing the blood rune option from corpse lance, and then forcing trags to use other options.

I'm fine with necros not getting much attention, I'd like something to replace rat runs ffs :)
    Look, I get that Necros dominate the high end 4-man GR meta. I'm just saying that I have literally never been a part of that experience because my play is far more casual and unoptimized. All my GRifting is either solo, with randoms in a pub game, or rarely, with someone in the guild just casually killing shit and not pushing the razor's edge. I get that they don't want to perpetuate the mandatory necro endgame meta. I'm just saying for scrub play the Necro doesn't feel OP and might possibly even feel comparatively weak after the patch. I dunno, maybe they could have found some interesting ways to buff the Necro sets without outright buffing the damage. Give them a little more survival or utility that GR75 cap nobodies like me might appreciate that wouldn't make them perform better in the world of the hardcore (not HC hardcore, obviously).

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I know they're not developing new content anymore, but I'd still like to see a kooky "follower" set. Make it like LoN, where it's some kind of set usable by all classes, that buffs and makes all three followers follow you around even in co-op.

Speaking of LoN, on my switch playthrough I'm like paragon 110 and still nothing past a 2pc armor set. I did get an early shadowhook drop, and also LoN one of which is ancient.

So no set even close to complete, but I'm still obliterating way higher torment than I should be. It's getting me to mess around with skills I normally don't bother with on necro, like the golem. Just cuz I have ancient stuff that's for this or that skill.

It's a crazy mess, but it's working. Why though... Why isn't that one rune for the golem just called "boneado", or even "BONESTORM"

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    It's a crazy mess, but it's working. Why though... Why isn't that one rune for the golem just called "boneado", or even "BONESTORM"

"Summon Bonestorm and GO TO HELL!"

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So what time does the new season start? I have tomorrow off and wouldn't mind staying up late to diablo

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    So what time does the new season start? I have tomorrow off and wouldn't mind staying up late to diablo

5PM PST - confirmed in the patch notes and by Blizzard here:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20770907073

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Which switch players gonna be doing season tonight? I can be on for a while at season open.

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    I won’t be on right away, but I plan to dig in this weekend

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I expect to be on, probably around 9 central.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    I'm skipping this season, but next season should be my Monk. I gotta work on my backlog and some BoTW.

camo_sig.png
    übergeek wrote: »
    I'm skipping this season, but next season should be my Monk. I gotta work on my backlog and some BoTW.
    I definitely plan on playing Monk next season since I'd like to try the Bell set. Not sure if I'll give this season a go yet, but I might since WoW is in a content lull for me right now...

Is anyone planning on going Crusader?

edited January 2019
    I was planning on doing Crusader.

One thing that's bugging me about the Switch version is ability targeting is sometimes really wonky. It's just too hard to be precise with the left stick. If you're just standing still with the stick in a neutral position, there's no telling where your ability is gonna land. I'm sure I'm gonna do a lot of wasted Falling Swords.

It also makes navigating the inventory "wheel" really annoying. Trying to land on the belt, amulet, or shoulder slot etc is frustrating. I really wish that was just a list, not a wheel.

Another Switch annoyance: Not being able to organize your stash how you want. I don't mind having all the rings grouped together, but it'd be really nice if you could group armor sets into a single screen, instead of having to sift through at each slot.

PC master race, I guess.

akjak on
    34 mins to go, hype hype hype.

Will @noggin get another #1 spot this season? :D

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Heh, I usually don’t set out to do it, but if the game gives me great early drops it can be fun for a laugh.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
    Is there a discord where Switch folk are hangin’?

akjak wrote: »
    I was planning on doing Crusader.

One thing that's bugging me about the Switch version
    Oh... I meant is anyone planning on doing Crusader on PC? Where we can share drops (read: me mooching).

Oh shit, is the Wirt's Leg bug fixed yet? I need to remember to do that to finish up my Darkening nerdpoints.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Oh shit, is the Wirt's Leg bug fixed yet? I need to remember to do that to finish up my Darkening nerdpoints.

Yes it's fixed.

Yay. I just logged on and checked out the seasonal players in the guild. Holy crap it's like half Demon Hunters.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    So my brother and I have been playing through this on Switch and coming from old-style Diablo 2

this game is bonkers nuts. We were about level 10 and a fancy little staff called "Balance" dropped for his Monk. At first we thought that no way, that 530% bonus to Tempest Rush absolutely had to be a display error, because no one in their right mind would be giving out percentage bonuses like that.

Oh how wrong we were.

How so very wrong.

It took us from Skeleton King all the way through to level 35, as we're starting to get deep into Act II. Our numbers are already breaking the 20k mark.

We are standing at the precipice of this rabbit hole, and seeing just how deep it goes. How very, very deep.

I got balance early on as well. I love getting game changing items like that early, I think I enjoy that more than late game Torment pushing.

My baby necro got Reilena’s Shadowhook as one of the first 70 legendaries, and that one item I was like “welp, Torment 4 with yellows here I come”

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Don't mind me, just hanging out with these firebats. Whoopfsh.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    So my brother and I have been playing through this on Switch and coming from old-style Diablo 2

this game is bonkers nuts. We were about level 10 and a fancy little staff called "Balance" dropped for his Monk. At first we thought that no way, that 530% bonus to Tempest Rush absolutely had to be a display error, because no one in their right mind would be giving out percentage bonuses like that.

Oh how wrong we were.

How so very wrong.

It took us from Skeleton King all the way through to level 35, as we're starting to get deep into Act II. Our numbers are already breaking the 20k mark.

We are standing at the precipice of this rabbit hole, and seeing just how deep it goes. How very, very deep.

Something I wish I would have figured out sooner is that you can change difficulty of the Campaign by exiting out of your game and modifying the Game Settings.

It will wipe any progress you've made uncovering the map, but I don't think that's very important. It might be best to do this right before you go to a new area, or between Chapters.

So if things are getting too easy, maybe consider bumping up the difficulty. You'll get more gold and exp too.

Much thanks to @Klatu for skipping my Crusader past the 1-70 grind last night. The other mooches and I even got lucky that he killed a Blood Thief in one of the rifts, so I hit 70 with around 400 blood shards, and I haven't even opened my challenge rift chest yet. I just finished chapter 2 last night, so I got the 2 set Hammerder bonus. I know all the class sets are super backloaded into the 6 piece bonus, but man this set feels extremely so. I haven't played yet since getting my 2 piece, but the 2 and 4 piece bonuses seem like they'll barely move the meter on my damage output. Looks like I'll be pretty dependent on getting one of the big hammer buffing legendaries or slogging my way to the 6 piece.

Or maybe I'm just bad.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »

Oh how wrong we were.

How so very wrong.

Something I wish I would have figured out sooner is that you can change difficulty of the Campaign by exiting out of your game and modifying the Game Settings.

It will wipe any progress you've made uncovering the map, but I don't think that's very important. It might be best to do this right before you go to a new area, or between Chapters.

So if things are getting too easy, maybe consider bumping up the difficulty. You'll get more gold and exp too.

We started on Nightmare, because I'd already started solo on Normal and realized that this game was completely non-threatening at low difficulty. The only potions/heals we've used so far have been done due to us missing the button we're TRYING to press.

That being said, we'd also made Season characters for some reason, so we didn't have that difficulty-change option available. With the start of the new season though, we might be doing just that.

Much thanks to @Klatu for skipping my Crusader past the 1-70 grind last night. The other mooches and I even got lucky that he killed a Blood Thief in one of the rifts, so I hit 70 with around 400 blood shards, and I haven't even opened my challenge rift chest yet. I just finished chapter 2 last night, so I got the 2 set Hammerder bonus. I know all the class sets are super backloaded into the 6 piece bonus, but man this set feels extremely so. I haven't played yet since getting my 2 piece, but the 2 and 4 piece bonuses seem like they'll barely move the meter on my damage output. Looks like I'll be pretty dependent on getting one of the big hammer buffing legendaries or slogging my way to the 6 piece.

Or maybe I'm just bad.

You're welcome man.

You're right that the crusader set for this season isn't wonderful for the 2 and 4 bit bonus, but there are ways to handle it. It requires that you get the correct bits to help you though. Gabriels vambraces are a MASSIVE help as it makes hammer cost nothing when you hit 3 or more people and gives a big damage bonus. If you can get a johannas flail and the blessed hammer shield it really helps as well. That should be enough to get you through until you get your 6 bit bonus.

Anyone playing Season on Switch and is like uber-leveled already and wouldn't mind boosting me from like 53 to 70? I'm tired of the pre-50 grind, bleh.

Also, how's the DH set (Natalya's) this season? (That's my main character this time around.)

I did a Monk last season, which granted the Raiment set, which is a sucky playstyle. It took me almost the entire season to get my much-desired Sunwuko set, which wiped the floor with the Raiment set.

I may juggle a Wizard too. How's the Vyr set?

I went with DH because I haven't played them much, and I like how Nat's set doesn't strictly prescribe your main damage skills. Also, score on getting the bow that makes strafe pierce enemies, and the belt making grenades bounce more and do more damage. My strafe is a beast now it launched me from expert into trouncing master.

Nats is pretty good, but it helps to carry just a little bit of cooldown so you can reset RoV even if there’s less monsters to trigger the 2pc.

Vyr’s can be good... it isn’t so good early on, but if you can get obsidian ring on your dh and rare-upgrade a wiz hat to Swami then you’ll have a better time.

I killed Septus' nemesis. Didn't know that was a thing on console versions. I think I got a legendary for it too.

So Switch guys, get killed more kkthx.

What should I gamble next at this point? I'm assuming rings, but wasn't sure if any of my cheaper to gamble gear was rolled shittily enough to warrant going for a better one first.

Your rolls aren’t bad, you can go for rings.

And you could craft a few amulets at the jeweler and probably make an upgrade

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Is it me or is D3 super accerated this season? I mean on the Sat evening after the patch my son and I were already working on the 35 level 3 legendary gems season objective. I guess having season of grandeur helps cause we both already running the 6/4 set bonus split with two sets. And I had the 6 piece IK bonus after the 2nd Haedrigs cause I’d gotten one to drop earlier.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Also, how's the DH set (Natalya's) this season? (That's my main character this time around.)

I did a Monk last season, which granted the Raiment set, which is a sucky playstyle. It took me almost the entire season to get my much-desired Sunwuko set, which wiped the floor with the Raiment set.

I may juggle a Wizard too. How's the Vyr set?

I just hit 70 and only have 4 piece at the moment and I've yet to find a red weapon for my DH but it seems pretty good. I have that belt that increases grenade damage, so in torment 1 I press the grenade flavor of rain of vengeance and things just evaporate. And if you keep moving you can refresh it every 3-4 seconds so there's no waiting around for cooldown to refresh.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    This is the first time I can remember playing Nats on DH and boy the jump in power for the 4 piece and then the 6 piece is pretty nuts. Got a lucky 5th piece after I completed chapter 3 and it pretty much trivialized being able to get the rest of chapter 4.

steam_sig.png
    What the fuck

I thought the Monk Wave of Light (Sunwuko) build was insane. This Natalya Rain of Vengeance build is ludicrous. I feel a twinge of guilt melting everything, like I’m committing some kind of video game genocide.

This discussion has been closed.