As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Thread Redemption

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Something I noticed early on this time,
    how when riding in a group, Micah keeps trying to shove past Arthur to ride next to Dutch.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    My normal hunting route takes me through Big Valley and I just cannot get over how gorgeous it is. Tall mountains on 3 sides, a snaking river, grass and pretty flowers everywhere. I would so live there. And maybe the bear problem could take care of the O'Driscoll problem.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    burbo wrote: »
    So, in the single player game, I was ambushed by some Lemoyne Raiders and killed. When I respawned, my lovely fully bonded white Arabian was replaced by a generic ass brown Tennessee Walker. Last save was 10% ago. Then I trotted 15 yards and we were both killed by a cougar.

Yeah, I lost a very nice horse that way. I was killed trying to catch a bounty, then my horse was gone. replaced by a generic brown Tennessee Walker.

I'd buy you a whiskey in commisseration, but the game doesn't allow us to buy other's drinks.

• Options
    Save often, get the horse upgrade for the camp as early as you can afford it. You can retrieve your horses from camp that way.

I have the horse upgrade at camp. It didn't help me since the game thought my owned horse was this tennessee walker.

This happened when I first tamed the Arabian too. I kept going to stables and it kept switching my horse to an American Standardbred. I had to do some glitch voodoo to finally get to keep the horse.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Today I had javier ride up out of nowhere and take me to rescue bill. Never knew that could happen!

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Finally played a bit of the single player tonight

Arthur’s voice acting is amazing. I mean, it’s a Rockstar game, the VA is almost always amazing. But still!

Micah already seems like a huge piece of shit from like, the minute you meet him.

I can totally see how the pace of this game would rub people the wrong way. It’s been a while since I’ve played a game that was so completely unconcerned with whether or not you’re enjoying this long horse ride*

*for me, I don’t mind the ride at all, but I can see how people would absolutely not like it.

• Options
    Really gives you time to think about what you're heading off to do.

• Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Man, were the train schedules faster in the first game?
    I waited through like 45 minutes and two bounty hunter attacks to get this Compson guy squished, and it just gently nudged him off the track

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    Ok on new game I named my new horse Carl

Because he's a horse Carl

AND IS SWORN TO CARRY MY BURDENS
    airhorns or some shit

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I should note that I haven't got tired of the long horse rides yet, but I could see getting a little bored of them eventually.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I should note that I haven't got tired of the long horse rides yet, but I could see getting a little bored of them eventually.

I never really did. Hell even in the online I love knowing the various routes and short cuts around things. Helps me avoid shit heads a lot of the time.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I bought a mic headset and I've noticed a distinct lessening of random kills now that I can talk

I've been roleplaying as just the chillest cowpoke this side of the San Luis river

people seem less inclined to kill you if when they roll up you're like "well hoooowdy pard, ya'll out huntin'?" "Aw geez, hombre, why you gotta drag a fella through the streets like this?"

that and the button combo to wave has been like, embedded in my muscle memory, I can pop off a wave in a second flat

Depressperado on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    Man, were the train schedules faster in the first game?
    I waited through like 45 minutes and two bounty hunter attacks to get this Compson guy squished, and it just gently nudged him off the track

I fed that fuckstick to a grizzly bear clear on the other side of the map.

• Options
    I bought a mic headset and I've noticed a distinct lessening of random kills now that I can talk

I've been roleplaying as just the chillest cowpoke this side of the San Luis river

people seem less inclined to kill you if when they roll up you're like "well hoooowdy pard, ya'll out huntin'?" "Aw geez, hombre, why you gotta drag a fella through the streets like this?"

that and the button combo to wave has been like, embedded in my muscle memory, I can pop off a wave in a second flat

Most of the people who have killed me don't let me say boo. Like the asshole who cost me twenty bucks this morning by shooting me on the way to the butcher.

Had a dip shit last night fucking with me when I was fishing. Trying to rope me. I just shived him twice, killed him five times, let him get me 5 times and parlayed so he'd leave me the fuck alone.

I hope they fix bandit hide outs soon, they are not respawning/showing up hardly at all right now.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I accidentally murdered a guy when he rode up to me cause I thought he was the dude that had been ganking me repeatedly

Also stole his hat

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Basically if I see your rope come near me I flat out kill you. No quarter, no question. You toss a lasso my way you're getting a head shot in return.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    How in the hell does one complete these horsemanship challenges, five minutes from Valentine to Rhodes seems impossible

• Options
    I super don't want to git gud you here, but that one shouldn't be too hard? Notably you can't fall off your horse, but the time part shouldn't be an issue if you sprint the whole way. Shoot your horse up with crack en route if they're running out of stamina. Otherwise you might need a faster horse, generally, if you have one of the slower breeds.

• Options
    I ran into a very odd bug online. Did a hunting trip from Blackwater to Tumbleweed and back. When I got back to the butcher, I couldn't interact with him at all. Odd, I thought, so I went to Strawberry. Same thing. I couldn't interact with anyone, and I noticed it let me equip weapons in the general store. Want to know how many throwing knives an invulnerable shopkeeper can have in his face at once? The answer is all of them! Even while on fire.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I haven't made the dry dash from Van Horn to Blackwater yet but I just need to sit down and plan my route. I imagine train tracks are involved to miss the water.

• Options
    I guess I need to go catch and tame the white Arabian horse

I already have a name picked out

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    I set out last night to get me a quarter horse. Imagine my fury when I found out they aren't even in the dang game. They were in RDR1, darn it.

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    I haven't made the dry dash from Van Horn to Blackwater yet but I just need to sit down and plan my route. I imagine train tracks are involved to miss the water.

Yeah the big one is using the train tracks outside of strawberry over the river, and then the dam past strawberry to get across that river (the dam part confused me for far too long, still made the timer thank god).

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Strikor wrote: »
    I ran into a very odd bug online. Did a hunting trip from Blackwater to Tumbleweed and back. When I got back to the butcher, I couldn't interact with him at all. Odd, I thought, so I went to Strawberry. Same thing. I couldn't interact with anyone, and I noticed it let me equip weapons in the general store. Want to know how many throwing knives an invulnerable shopkeeper can have in his face at once? The answer is all of them! Even while on fire.

I lost a hunting supply trip to this too late saturday. couldn't even interact with the postman.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I lost a hunting supply trip to this too late saturday. couldn't even interact with the postman.

Respawning ended up fixing it for me. So something to keep in mind if it happens again. Probably the only reason I tried that rather than writing it off as a loss was that I was the only one left in the session.

• Options

Respawning ended up fixing it for me. So something to keep in mind if it happens again. Probably the only reason I tried that rather than writing it off as a loss was that I was the only one left in the session.

Yeah that would be worth preserving. I had a lobby on sunday all to myself, I ran around doing open world missions.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I guess I need to go catch and tame the white Arabian horse

I already have a name picked out

Lawrence?

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Current Optional Gameplay Roadblocks: can not kill this effing bear and got road stomped trying to rob a train (400 dollar bounty killing all the cops, only to turn around and see that every fucking passenger had ran off).
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Finally played a bit of the single player tonight

Arthur’s voice acting is amazing. I mean, it’s a Rockstar game, the VA is almost always amazing. But still!

Micah already seems like a huge piece of shit from like, the minute you meet him.

I can totally see how the pace of this game would rub people the wrong way. It’s been a while since I’ve played a game that was so completely unconcerned with whether or not you’re enjoying this long horse ride*

*for me, I don’t mind the ride at all, but I can see how people would absolutely not like it.

Haha. . .a friend of mine who was playing this before me got frustrated with the game for just that reason ("Why can't I call a stagecoach!") - I however like that R* is committed to the immersion, right down to you needing to carry what you actually need from off your horse.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I have zero desire to play this online.

I'm still trying to get through the single player.

Late game thoughts
    Man, watching Arthur sitting on a rock in the rain after a mission wheezing and coughing because of his TB is just... heartbreaking. Very rarely do you see that kind of vulnerability or fragility in a protagonist that's supposed to be a bad ass gun slinging cowpoke. And reading his journal entries now you can really see the progression from him buying Dutch's line in bullshit but being a little conflicted to "try and save who you can from this man and do a little good on your way out." And it's not even really anything you'd ever have to see if you don't crack open his diary.

I'm gushing but this is so good.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    Yeah the later chapters. 5 & 6

Really hit you in a way. You are introduced to arthur as this big deep voiced man. Larger than life even. And then after TB he just gets progressively worse. Its like a fast walk of watching a loved one die of cancer. I mean the player isn't really affected as you still have dead eye and can dish beatings, but they show you in cut scenes Arthur is going down hill.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    So near as I can tell with online, stranger missions are still broken.

Also the economy still sucks because you can tell the entire balance is to get you to buy gold with actual money... except for the problem that they aren't actually, you know, selling gold.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

Really hit you in a way. You are introduced to arthur as this big deep voiced man. Larger than life even. And then after TB he just gets progressively worse. Its like a fast walk of watching a loved one die of cancer. I mean the player isn't really affected as you still have dead eye and can dish beatings, but they show you in cut scenes Arthur is going down hill.

Full game spoilers
    I think it's good that his illness didn't have in-game effects, because I think that would have been really tedious. The physical changes and moments from the plot sold it well enough, I think. Things like being overpowered by the skinny Pinkerton are real wake up calls, too.

This kind of portrayal of illness is something I've never seen in a game before, I found it heartbreaking.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

Full game spoilers
    I think it's good that his illness didn't have in-game effects, because I think that would have been really tedious. The physical changes and moments from the plot sold it well enough, I think. Things like being overpowered by the skinny Pinkerton are real wake up calls, too.

This kind of portrayal of illness is something I've never seen in a game before, I found it heartbreaking.

Full game spoilers including the ending!

I agree, I just wanted to head off the complaint of "well it didn't effect player game play" which I didn't really feel was the point. I mean other than as a player I felt I had to rush through that section especially because Arthur was dying.

Especially with the "good" ending for Arthur where no one kills him, he just dies from the illness watching one last sun rise.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Here's some stuff I noticed, playing the game again (full game spoilers):
    1. Thomas Downes is all over the start of this fucking game. He's the guy who splits up the big fight in the mud! He's standing in Valentine collecting money for the poor! He's a real great guy!
    2. There is an absolutely absurd number of camp events that I never saw the first time I played, but since this time I'm just doing all the free roam stuff I'm seeing a lot more. Notably:
    • I'm pretty sure Hoseah has TB and is running a similar arc to Arthur. He mentions being ill, makes medicine a lot and occasionally coughs.
    • I'm also pretty sure Hoseah is a reformed racist. He has a lot of dialogue with Lenny where he apologises for "not seeing what a good person he was" in non-specific ways. He even has a sit down with Lenny where he encourages him to leave the gang and become a lawyer, since Lenny is the most literate person in the gang. Lenny seems to be genuinely considering it. Hoseah's "good liberal" speech to Charles about the treatment of the natives also makes sense in this context. He's trying to make amends, and he's awkward at it.
    • There are camp interactions between Abigail and Grimshaw that make it clear that Abigail's role in the gang used to be prostitution, and that the same might still be true of the other women. Abigail yells at Grimshaw and says "she refuses to do that any more"
    • John is a fuckboy at the start of the game. He has repeated camp events where he hits on the other women in the gang, to their utter disgust. It seems performative, like he's trying to reject his role as a husband and father.
    • Uncle is the best member of the gang

3. There's a real sense of loss when you play the game a second time, and it captures the feeling that one never knows when someone they love will be taken from them. A second time, you know that you're not simply robbing a house with Hoseah, you're spending some of your last moments with him. You know that Lenny, for all his potential, does not become a lawyer. As you start the game, people are complaining about the camp and... this is the best they'll ever have it. The party when Sean is rescued represents one of the last times everyone will be there, together, and happy.
      4. The game gates a lot of stuff in frustrating ways. Schofield Revolvers are locked behind rescuing Micah. New trapper locations seem to be locked behind something arbitrary. I can't proceed with the bandit challenge because the horse fence isn't unlocked until chapter 3. You can't finish the satchels until either chapter 5 (when you go to Guarma) or the epilogue
      5. Arthur's depression is more obvious a second time around. He's mean to everyone all the time, because he's playing a part and keeping everyone at bay. Arthur, Bill and Swanson are all characters who are dealing with depression in different ways.

• Options
    Is there a way to, like, favorite guns? Plot shit keeps setting me up with a dogshit repeater and rifle and I want to use this goddamn shotgun i spent $400 pimping out.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Okay what the fuck am I doing wrong, I cannot tame a horse at all. Every single time they buck me off. I've been up north to find the white arabian like five times and can't tame it. I've tried on probably half a dozen other horses I've encountered in the wild and they just nope me right off and run away.

It's like grinding a rail in Tony Hawk, right? Push L left or right to stay balanced and mash square/X to calm the horse?

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    I think it also helps to press down on the analog as well, to lean back.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Full game spoilers

I think the late game in general does some real interesting and subtle things with the way games usually train you to treat character progression
    Early on you can do stuff and get more buff - more HPs, more deadeye, all that various stuff. You can eat more or less, grow your hair out or get it cut. You want more money for all of that too, plus there's all these camp upgrades and guns and everything else you need to buy. We see this in character reactions in this very thread - folks complaining about how hard it is to get cash for new guns, wondering when they'll be able to get new items, etc.

When Dutch or one of the other members has some plan to get piles of cash - well, fuck yeah, let's do it. And some of those big early payouts are carefully designed so that you suddenly have a rush of cash to buy big expensive items that you couldn't have before, while still leaving some other stuff for you to still want.

So like, you are in control, you are making progress, you want more money to do more things.

And then Arthur gets sick, and you lose all of that. You lose control of Arthur's appearance - he is going to lose weight, and he's going to look like shit. You now have money in your pocket, but basically nothing to spend it on. Then the camp itself starts to fall apart and you can't even spend money supplying the camp anymore. You get a few new fancy guns, but they're found, not bought. The game rips away that sense of Video Game Progression, at the same time that Arthur is himself finding out that yeah, he's gonna die soon.

So the game design sneakily manipulates player into feeling exactly like Arthur feels. "Another big score?.... Why?" You already have more money than you can reasonably spend. All of the side activities are basically free or cheap, like hunting or fishing or card games. Why are you still collecting petty debts for Strauss when those people so desperately need money, while you have a pocketful of cash and nothing to spend it on? So where before the player felt like, "Well, I don't like doing this, but I gotta look out for the camp, I need a lot of money" in their moral roleplaying of Arthur, now that kind of thing feels pointless, both for Arthur the character and for the game system.

It's really very clever.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Is there a way to, like, favorite guns? Plot shit keeps setting me up with a dogshit repeater and rifle and I want to use this goddamn shotgun i spent $400 pimping out.

Yeah, you can do that at a gunsmith, in the customization menu