As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Thread Redemption

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I was chasing trains for that one sharpshooter challenge and wound up in Roanoke Ridge where I hadn't ventured yet. Man that area is beautiful. I stumbled across a house that'd been struck by a meteor. A meteor! The people in the house had been turned all inside out.

The exploration in this game is so good.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Three upgrades away from fully upgraded camp and satchel, still in chapter 3.(this is playthrough #2, completionist mode)

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Finished through the first mission of episode 6, so time for some new power rankings!
    Condensed, combined power rankings. No need to segregate muscle and support anymore, since there is a bunch of overlap. To the rankings!

1. Dutch, he is still the man in charge, but honestly, it's just barely. Most of the camp still listens to him, but there is legit questioning of his leadershp at this point. (even)
    2. Sadie. Big jump for her. She seemed to be in charge of taking care of the group while we were in Guarma, and she just does whatever the fuck she wants, whether it be freeing John, or killing a shit load of O'Driscolls. (Big Jump up)
    3. Arthur. Still the guy who always get's things done, and everyone wants his opinion. But, he is more of an executor of other people's will. Also, he is plainly dying, so he is 3rd at this point. (drop down)
    4. Micah. He seems to be the right hand man of Dutch now, and is involved in a lot of important jobs. Still a piece of shit, but Dutch trusts him (big jump up)
    5. Grimshaw. She shot Molly O Shea, and she still says what's what around camp. (evenish)
    6. Charles. Getting lots of respect for diverting people during the escape, finding the new digs, and leading while we were in Guarma. He just hasn't been around long enough for anyone to listen to him. (small bump up)
    7. Abigail. She convinced Arthur and Sadie to defy Dutch. That's power. (jump up)
    8. John. One of the more open rebels against Dutch. Keeps getting captured though, doesn't get a ton of respect. (evenish)
    9. Javier. Still reliable, but not taking on any leadership. Got shot in the leg and had to be rescued, not earning him points. (evenish)
    10. Pearson. Cooking food and maintaing camp is important. (evenish)
    11. Trelawny. Hasn't fucked anything up, still seems useful (evenish)
    12. REverend. Cleaning up his act! No one expected this from him! (Big jump up)
    13 Bill. Starting to piss everyone off, whether it be through leading the Pinkertons to camp (he didn't, we know now), or talking mad shit to the Dutch skeptics. He did get props for fighting well during the attack, but no one is going to follow anything Bill says. (drop)
    14. Strauss. Arthur doesn't really want to work for him anymore. Can't get anything done without him (drop)
    15. Tilly. A little shine from gettnig kidnapped still. (evenish)
    16. MAry Beth. She's nice, has that going for her. (evenish)
    17. Karen. A drunk now, and getting into screaming fights with Grimshaw. She won't win that. (Drop)
    18. Jack. Little kid, can't do much. (evenish)
    19. Uncle. At least Jack get's rescued from being kidnapped. Not sure anyone would bother for Uncle. (drop, but mainly because reverend jumped)

Honorable Mention. Haitian pirate guy. That whole sequence was weird, but if he joined the gang, he would be top 5 easy.

Any big controversies this time? What do you guys think?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Uncle is number one

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Does this have a list of "shit you can be getting one with" other than markers on the map

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I think it's up on the D-pad brings up a list of requests and stuff you've got on the go.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Hunting question: in the initial tutorial, I killed a whole-ass deer, slung it on my horse, and brought it back to be skinned and butchered and whatever. In chapter two I went out hunting on my own, killed an elk, and it wouldn’t let me do anything but field skin it and I left what appeared to be an entire carcass on a trail because I couldn’t pick it up. Is there a size limit? Was the tutorial bullshit? Did I have to do something special to keep the whole thing? Feels like I let a lot of animal go to waste.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    There's a size limit. Deer are Large, and can go on a horse, elk are Massive and cannot. You got all you could get out of that elk.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Hunting question: in the initial tutorial, I killed a whole-ass deer, slung it on my horse, and brought it back to be skinned and butchered and whatever. In chapter two I went out hunting on my own, killed an elk, and it wouldn’t let me do anything but field skin it and I left what appeared to be an entire carcass on a trail because I couldn’t pick it up. Is there a size limit? Was the tutorial bullshit? Did I have to do something special to keep the whole thing? Feels like I let a lot of animal go to waste.

You take the parts from it, not just the skin, but your horse can't carry huge things like bears and big daddy Elks.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    They should invent bigger horses to carry Bigger Meat

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    It would be cool if larger horses allowed you to carry more. It would give the massive work horses a purpose.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    They should invent bigger horses to carry Bigger Meat

So, clydesdales?

There are also these things called carts, which can be pulled behind a horse, or even a donkey!

• Options
    Oh yeah? Where's that hot cart unlock then? There some kinda code I gotta punch in to get a cart, how do I get a cart forum poster chrishallet83

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    This is a story I didn't tell when it happened because it was far too sad.

One night, early chapter 3, I was riding back to camp from somewhere when I came upon two strangers trying to open up a locked chest on the back of a stage coach.

I approach them and they immediately start shooting at me, so I deadeye and headshot both of them in a second. I hopped off my well loved horse Bojack, and head to the locked chest. I try and open it, but I can't unlock it. So I try shooting it, thinking maybe that'll work. Nothing. Then I have an idea. Dynamite will work, right? So I, very proud of myself, equip the dynamite and fumble through the controls to throw it towards the chest. I quickly run back out of harms way, the camera sweeping around Arthur. Quickly right beside the cart comes into frame, and it's Bojack. He had decided to run up beside the cart to provide emotional support as I fruitlessly tried to open the chest.

I watch in horror as the dynamite goes off, the chest opens, and Bojack falls to the ground. But wait! I have a horse revival kit on me, I'm sure he'll be ok if I use that. Now, I'm still not very good with the inventory, and I'm freaking out at this point. So I run up to Bojack, who is still but breathing, thinking that a context option will open up to revive him. When that doesn't happen I frantically search the inventory wheel for the medication to revive my best friend in the whole world. I find nothing. I exit the inventory and, in my frustrated fumbling accidentally throw another stick of dynamite at Bojack.

I instinctively run away, watch the explosion, and start tearing up. I had done him in. He was gone. All he wanted was to be a good boy, but I had put him down because of my foolish horsing around.

I then go to the cart and check the chest. I don't remember if it was a gold bar or even a few dozen dollars, but nothing in their will ever replace that animal. Until I ran across a wild horse on my long walk back to camp, tamed him myself, and named him the most appropriate name I could think of, Mr Peanutbutter.

No I don't.
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Uncle is number one

Where are these depths to uncle's character that I'm missing found? I'm at I believe the tail end of chapter 6 and he's rarely had much to say about anything

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Uncle is number one

Where are these depths to uncle's character that I'm missing found? I'm at I believe the tail end of chapter 6 and he's rarely had much to say about anything

He's more interesting post Chapter 6.

• Options
    This is a story I didn't tell when it happened because it was far too sad.

One night, early chapter 3, I was riding back to camp from somewhere when I came upon two strangers trying to open up a locked chest on the back of a stage coach.

I approach them and they immediately start shooting at me, so I deadeye and headshot both of them in a second. I hopped off my well loved horse Bojack, and head to the locked chest. I try and open it, but I can't unlock it. So I try shooting it, thinking maybe that'll work. Nothing. Then I have an idea. Dynamite will work, right? So I, very proud of myself, equip the dynamite and fumble through the controls to throw it towards the chest. I quickly run back out of harms way, the camera sweeping around Arthur. Quickly right beside the cart comes into frame, and it's Bojack. He had decided to run up beside the cart to provide emotional support as I fruitlessly tried to open the chest.

I watch in horror as the dynamite goes off, the chest opens, and Bojack falls to the ground. But wait! I have a horse revival kit on me, I'm sure he'll be ok if I use that. Now, I'm still not very good with the inventory, and I'm freaking out at this point. So I run up to Bojack, who is still but breathing, thinking that a context option will open up to revive him. When that doesn't happen I frantically search the inventory wheel for the medication to revive my best friend in the whole world. I find nothing. I exit the inventory and, in my frustrated fumbling accidentally throw another stick of dynamite at Bojack.

I instinctively run away, watch the explosion, and start tearing up. I had done him in. He was gone. All he wanted was to be a good boy, but I had put him down because of my foolish horsing around.

I then go to the cart and check the chest. I don't remember if it was a gold bar or even a few dozen dollars, but nothing in their will ever replace that animal. Until I ran across a wild horse on my long walk back to camp, tamed him myself, and named him the most appropriate name I could think of, Mr Peanutbutter.

Hey, my horse is called BoJack too! Ah, comrades in not having an imagination.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    my first horse was named ebooks and then one i lost him somehow after reloading a failed mission

my second horse was named...

...bojack

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah? Where's that hot cart unlock then? There some kinda code I gotta punch in to get a cart, how do I get a cart forum poster chrishallet83

First, you get an axe.

You cut down some trees, and fashion the wood into lumber. For that you'll want a saw and an adze.

Then, you're gonna need some chisels, a mallet, and a spokeshave...

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

First, you get an axe.

You cut down some trees, and fashion the wood into lumber. For that you'll want a saw and an adze.

Then, you're gonna need some chisels, a mallet, and a spokeshave...

What are you an atlas dev?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I was chasing trains for that one sharpshooter challenge and wound up in Roanoke Ridge where I hadn't ventured yet. Man that area is beautiful. I stumbled across a house that'd been struck by a meteor. A meteor! The people in the house had been turned all inside out.

The exploration in this game is so good.

I gotta say though, I wish the different systems in this game interacted in more meaningful ways. The world is beautiful and alive enough that exploring is its own reward but I do wish that going hunting or completing challenges weren't just for filling bars or giving me mostly unattractive cosmetic rewards. Apart from the legendary animal trinkets and a handful of other upgrades, none of the rewards for the game's various tasks have any meaningful impact on how you're playing the game. So while this is far from the stereotypical Ubisoft open world, it still gives the side activities a checklisty vibe.

Reading what I wrote, it comes off like I'm asking for an RPG with XP and levelling up. But mostly what I mean is that if these systems were more tightly integrated, the game's disparate systems would feel a lot more coherent? Right now it feels like a random set of checklists to keep me engaged in their huge-ass world. I think they could've had a more satisfying gameplay loop with a bit more thought to their game design.

• Options
    Even early in the game, Uncle is the only person who 100% does not buy Dutch's shit and is perfectly willing to burn him down.

• Options
    Uncle is number one

I feel like you might be fuzzy on the concept of power rankings. Like, as much as we would all love to, you cant put the Clippers at the top of your power pull just because they have Boban.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    my first horse was named ebooks and then one i lost him somehow after reloading a failed mission

my second horse was named...

...bojack

My first and so far only horse is called Whinny the Pooh

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I have no idea what you mean with this power ranking thing

• Options
    Uncle is the most powerful person

• Options
    Power in the camp is decided based on how much someone gives a fuck about Dutch

Uncle is the only person who gives zero fucks about Dutch. He is 100% in control of that relationship, and is the only one who that is true of. Uncle is the most powerful, and best, person who has ever lived.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    List of people in the camp that Dutch fails a speech check against in this game:
    Uncle

Tube on
  • Options
    And does all of that with debilitating Lumbago. As David Mitchel said there is nothing funny about back pain.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Pearson has some real fucked up stories about the navy.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    I have no idea what you mean with this power ranking thing

It's just a silly sports thing. It's like trying to determine who the best teams are in a qualitative and comprehensive way than just standings.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    My current horse is Vercingetorix. I have the white Arabian stabled; her name is Calliope.

When Arthur first mentioned the last good horse he had that died, it was named Bouadicea. I figured he liked the classical naming convention so I stuck with it.

He's also had a couple other classically named horses, and Bill and Paint. Paint was a good horse and I ran him off a cliff.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Hey I just noticed something

What the fuck is wrong with Uncles horse

• Options

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Hey I just noticed something

What the fuck is wrong with Uncles horse

lumbago

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    I'm early in chapter 6 and (let's call it full game spoilers)
    honestly having a lot of trouble being motivated to push the main story forward ever since the tuberculosis revelation.

I got spoiled fairly early that Arthur wasn't going to make it out, but thought he'd go out sacrificing himself in a gunfight so the rest of the gang could stay free or something along those lines - which may still happen, I don't know the specifics! But seeing him getting worse, and people commenting on him not looking well.....it's tough.

I still really want to keep playing the game, I'm enjoying the hell out of it! But at the same time I feel like it's pointless collecting more trapper gear now I am / Arthur is on this downward trajectory.

That bit after seeing the doc though, walking through an empty Saint Denis, and seeing the stag? Full body goosebumps.

This is some game.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    i just started this the a week ago and wanted to share some thoughts about what just happened

end of chapter 4
    as they mentioned hosea and abigail were going to cause a distraction, i immediately said "aw man, they're going to kill hosea here. he's not in RDR1 and it's late enough in this game they can kill him." i was double sad to see lenny go, too, i liked him. all that's left to die now is me and micah, i think, but i'm expecting i'm going to get killed by john and the epilogue has you take control of john.

also i don't really remember anything abigail did at the camp or in any missions? but she's obviously the traitor. just wish i could remember who she is!

final thought: this island chapter is suuuch a weird diversion for this game to take? i don't know, it just seems EXTREMELY video game-y in a way that this game hasn't really been

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    honestly having a lot of trouble being motivated to push the main story forward ever since the tuberculosis revelation.

I got spoiled fairly early that Arthur wasn't going to make it out, but thought he'd go out sacrificing himself in a gunfight so the rest of the gang could stay free or something along those lines - which may still happen, I don't know the specifics! But seeing him getting worse, and people commenting on him not looking well.....it's tough.

I still really want to keep playing the game, I'm enjoying the hell out of it! But at the same time I feel like it's pointless collecting more trapper gear now I am / Arthur is on this downward trajectory.

That bit after seeing the doc though, walking through an empty Saint Denis, and seeing the stag? Full body goosebumps.

This is some game.

Without spoiling anything, I feel like turning your focus more to side missions at this point becomes a lot more meaningful and is really worth it.

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    McFodder wrote: »

This is some game.

Without spoiling anything, I feel like turning your focus more to side missions at this point becomes a lot more meaningful and is really worth it.

Thanks, that's what I've been doing - though honestly I've been a sucker for side missions all along, hence why I've only just hit chapter 6.
    Feels like the right thing to do, since Arthur himself seems to want to leave a bit more of a positive mark on the world. I've enjoyed the missions helping out Charlotte, and had no hesitation in gunning down the guy who's camp I wandered into randomly one night after he mentioned this woman who 'told him no, but in a real nice way that made him feel good'. Was actually kinda surprised to take a hit to my honour on that one, but it felt right.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I zoomed thru the Guarma detour and now I'm kicking myself for not going hunting. The game obviously wanted me to hurry up because of the focus on getting off the island, and I didn't feel any sense that I could take my time.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg