Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Red Thread Redemption

1323335373843

Posts

  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    I zoomed thru the Guarma detour and now I'm kicking myself for not going hunting. The game obviously wanted me to hurry up because of the focus on getting off the island, and I didn't feel any sense that I could take my time.

    Yeah I got one macaw species and that was it for Guarma unique animal IDs. I assumed I'd be able to come back and I hated not having my good guns.

    valhalla130
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    edited January 8
    on to chapter 6 and like, jeez. the bad sort of jeez
    wow, that guarma section is dire. if i hadn't known there was a chapter 6, i would have full on expected that to be a "dream of a dying man" type thing because of how bad and nonsensical it was. the pacing was light speed as soon as you finish the first two missions, tons of nonsensical events, you blow up a warship, the mexican standoff had a beyond stupid resolution, MAN what a terrible sequence. on one hand i'm grateful it was mercifully short because of how bad it sucked, but on the other hand if it was like 8 missions instead of 4 maybe they could have taken the time to pace it properly?

    after how bad that was, i was almost mad at the ride back to shady belle, with the nice music playing. it's a touching moment that doesn't work when i just played a fucking call of duty campaign. then the tuberculosis reveal just made me think it was trying to be Deep and Tragic after the horseshit i just went through, which is ironic because i usually love tragedies. i was fully on board with this game until that, and i think that might have like, really, really altered my perception of the rest of this story. it required way, way too many leaps of faith and absolute suspension of disbelief for the entire thing. the story would have worked much better if chapter 5 was literally completely rewritten.

    i still wanna beat this game but man that part was so bad. hopefully the ending is good because i've seen people be really into it, but i'm worried at this point i'll just be mad at it. the progression of dutch, the camp, and the gang has been really good! i am glad to leave that section far behind, the less said about it the better at this point

    Zay on
    StiltsZilla360
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    chapter 5 is bad, chapter 6 is excellent

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    DouglasDangerCelloZilla360
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited January 8
    Zay wrote: »
    on to chapter 6 and like, jeez. the bad sort of jeez
    wow, that guarma section is dire. if i hadn't known there was a chapter 6, i would have full on expected that to be a "dream of a dying man" type thing because of how bad and nonsensical it was. the pacing was light speed as soon as you finish the first two missions, tons of nonsensical events, you blow up a warship, the mexican standoff had a beyond stupid resolution, MAN what a terrible sequence. on one hand i'm grateful it was mercifully short because of how bad it sucked, but on the other hand if it was like 8 missions instead of 4 maybe they could have taken the time to pace it properly?

    after how bad that was, i was almost mad at the ride back to shady belle, with the nice music playing. it's a touching moment that doesn't work when i just played a fucking call of duty campaign. then the tuberculosis reveal just made me think it was trying to be deep but, AGAIN, doesn't work after the horseshit i just went through. i was fully on board with this game until that, and i think that might have like, really, really altered my perception of the rest of this story. it required way, way too many leaps of faith and absolute suspension of disbelief for the entire thing. the story would have worked much better if chapter 5 was literally completely rewritten.

    i still wanna beat this game but man that part was so bad. hopefully the ending is good because i've seen people be really into it, but i'm worried at this point i'll just be mad at it. the progression of dutch, the camp, and the gang has been really good! i am glad to leave that section far behind, the less said about it the better at this point

    Hey, Zay, FYI about a sidequest that will appear in that chapter
    If you do the Braithwaite mission, see if you can force your horse to flee before you actually get on the train in St. Denis.

    I say this, because at one point you're forced to drive the train. And in my game, my horse followed alongside the train. Except horse pathfinding in this game is shit, and my white Arabian who I had had since Chapter 2 killed itself by constantly running into the train. I was incredibly pissed off.

    Or just, like, take along a shitty horse you don't care about specifically for that mission, in case there's no real way to prevent horse suicide.

    Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Zay wrote: »
    on to chapter 6 and like, jeez. the bad sort of jeez
    wow, that guarma section is dire. if i hadn't known there was a chapter 6, i would have full on expected that to be a "dream of a dying man" type thing because of how bad and nonsensical it was. the pacing was light speed as soon as you finish the first two missions, tons of nonsensical events, you blow up a warship, the mexican standoff had a beyond stupid resolution, MAN what a terrible sequence. on one hand i'm grateful it was mercifully short because of how bad it sucked, but on the other hand if it was like 8 missions instead of 4 maybe they could have taken the time to pace it properly?

    after how bad that was, i was almost mad at the ride back to shady belle, with the nice music playing. it's a touching moment that doesn't work when i just played a fucking call of duty campaign. then the tuberculosis reveal just made me think it was trying to be deep but, AGAIN, doesn't work after the horseshit i just went through. i was fully on board with this game until that, and i think that might have like, really, really altered my perception of the rest of this story. it required way, way too many leaps of faith and absolute suspension of disbelief for the entire thing. the story would have worked much better if chapter 5 was literally completely rewritten.

    i still wanna beat this game but man that part was so bad. hopefully the ending is good because i've seen people be really into it, but i'm worried at this point i'll just be mad at it. the progression of dutch, the camp, and the gang has been really good! i am glad to leave that section far behind, the less said about it the better at this point

    Hey, Zay, FYI about a sidequest that will appear in that chapter
    If you do the Braithwaite mission, see if you can force your horse to flee before you actually get on the train in St. Denis.

    I say this, because at one point you're forced to drive the train. And in my game, my horse followed alongside the train. Except horse pathfinding in this game is shit, and my white Arabian who I had had since Chapter 2 killed itself by constantly running into the train. I was incredibly pissed off.

    Or just, like, take along a shitty horse you don't care about specifically for that mission, in case there's no real way to prevent horse suicide.

    It’s funny because my horse was totally fine for this particular mission, but my FIRST horse also had a mysterious train death after the duel on the train for the boy Calloway side quest

  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Some chapter 6 thoughts
    So being a few steps removed from the Guarma stuff, I’m now feeling ok with the tuberculosis stuff. I rewatched the scene where he caught it and now I’m like, ok fine that’s cool. There’s a few clues in that scene that something bigger happened that someone more perceptive than me may have caught.

    My major wonder right now is how, if at all, the story is different depending on how you’ve been playing your Arthur. I’m full good guy Arthur, and I feel like a bad guy Arthur probably wouldn’t be as strongly anti Dutch. I think I’d be kind of disappointed if the story is the same if your Arthur is full evil. At least he’d be a huge contradiction between what he says and what he does, good guy Arthur makes a lot of sense for the narrative.

    I finished this mission with the meeting between Rains Fall and Captain Whatever, where you end up rescuing the guy the captain wanted to court martial and hang. At the end of it, Arthur had a long talk with this nun, but what’s super weird and sticking out to me, is I only met that nun earlier as part of some stranger missions. It’s totally possible to never see her if you just do the main story. Does she still show up if you never met her? It was a pretty good scene, so it’d be a shame to miss, imo.

    Also, I really love Dutch. I feel like he doesn’t have a character arc in this game, so much as the other characters figure out who he actually is. It’s cool. He’s such a smug fuck, so totally full of himself, but he’s got the perfect silver tongue. He espoused ideals to get these people to follow him, but doesn’t hold himself to any standards at all, while probably not even realizing the contradiction between what he says and does.

    Stilts
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    At that station
    if you didn’t meet her, Swanson shows up instead. Also, she’s in a stranger mission in the first game.

    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    Zilla360
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    Some chapter 6 thoughts
    So being a few steps removed from the Guarma stuff, I’m now feeling ok with the tuberculosis stuff. I rewatched the scene where he caught it and now I’m like, ok fine that’s cool. There’s a few clues in that scene that something bigger happened that someone more perceptive than me may have caught.

    My major wonder right now is how, if at all, the story is different depending on how you’ve been playing your Arthur. I’m full good guy Arthur, and I feel like a bad guy Arthur probably wouldn’t be as strongly anti Dutch. I think I’d be kind of disappointed if the story is the same if your Arthur is full evil. At least he’d be a huge contradiction between what he says and what he does, good guy Arthur makes a lot of sense for the narrative.

    I finished this mission with the meeting between Rains Fall and Captain Whatever, where you end up rescuing the guy the captain wanted to court martial and hang. At the end of it, Arthur had a long talk with this nun, but what’s super weird and sticking out to me, is I only met that nun earlier as part of some stranger missions. It’s totally possible to never see her if you just do the main story. Does she still show up if you never met her? It was a pretty good scene, so it’d be a shame to miss, imo.

    Also, I really love Dutch. I feel like he doesn’t have a character arc in this game, so much as the other characters figure out who he actually is. It’s cool. He’s such a smug fuck, so totally full of himself, but he’s got the perfect silver tongue. He espoused ideals to get these people to follow him, but doesn’t hold himself to any standards at all, while probably not even realizing the contradiction between what he says and does.

    I've heard you have a chat with
    Reverend Swanson
    in that scene if you haven't met her.

    I was killing Thresher Maws on foot before I knew it was a Krogan rite of passage.
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    edited January 9
    Huh, that’s cool that doing a stranger changes some main story scenes. Makes me want to finish up all the other strangers, but there’s so many and I’m close to beating the game, and want to see the ending before Sunday

    Zay on
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    The chapter 6 stranger missions are really good

    At least makesure to do the missions with the widow way up northeast, and the debt collections.

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Ceno
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    I highly recommend being as relaxed as possible about "seeing the ending" because Chapter 6 is looooooooong and you're going to get burned out.

    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    ShortyKanaMysstZilla360never die
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    The chapter 6 stranger missions are really good

    At least makesure to do the missions with the widow way up northeast, and the debt collections.

    I finished up the debt collections actually which reminds me
    I have to assume Arthur only kicked Strauss out because I’m good guy Arthur and I chose to absolve both those debts. I am SUPER CURIOUS to see how much actually changes from being asshole Arthur. If the story actually changes as much as it seems like it does based off the morality bar, that’s really cool (but I’m probably setting myself up for disappointment)

  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Zay wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    The chapter 6 stranger missions are really good

    At least makesure to do the missions with the widow way up northeast, and the debt collections.

    I finished up the debt collections actually which reminds me
    I have to assume Arthur only kicked Strauss out because I’m good guy Arthur and I chose to absolve both those debts. I am SUPER CURIOUS to see how much actually changes from being asshole Arthur. If the story actually changes as much as it seems like it does based off the morality bar, that’s really cool (but I’m probably setting myself up for disappointment)
    He kicks him out but his reasoning is different. He's more overtly mad at Strauss for "wasting his time with these idiots". It's more "I'm dying and you're making me do this trivial shit", and he's openly contemptuous of the debtors.

    In general, events are broadly the same at low honor but the reasons that Arthur is doing them are different. He's more openly mercenary and is trying to get enough money to save his own life.

    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    KanaZilla360
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    edited January 9
    Tube wrote: »
    I highly recommend being as relaxed as possible about "seeing the ending" because Chapter 6 is looooooooong and you're going to get burned out.

    Well I’m going to Japan for a week and a half on Sunday which is why I wanna try and finish before then... I feel like I have to be pretty close
    My current missions are: do something with Eagle Flies outside fort wallace, and go wipe out the rest of the O’Driscolls with Sadie. Arthur just admitted for the first time to Sadie that he’s planning to do... something... to stop Dutch, which seems pretty big in resolving the plot

    Zay on
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Zay wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    I highly recommend being as relaxed as possible about "seeing the ending" because Chapter 6 is looooooooong and you're going to get burned out.

    Well I’m going to Japan for a week and a half on Sunday which is why I wanna try and finish before then... I feel like I have to be pretty close
    My current missions are: do something with Eagle Flies outside fort wallace, and go wipe out the rest of the O’Driscolls with Sadie. Arthur just admitted for the first time to Sadie that he’s planning to do... something... to stop Dutch, which seems pretty big in resolving the plot

    The first of those missions is going to kick off an entire arc. You aren't near the end. I say this to spare you: take your time. This game is incredibly badly paced and you just have to go with it.

    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    DouglasDanger
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    I highly recommend being as relaxed as possible about "seeing the ending" because Chapter 6 is looooooooong and you're going to get burned out.

    Well I’m going to Japan for a week and a half on Sunday which is why I wanna try and finish before then... I feel like I have to be pretty close
    My current missions are: do something with Eagle Flies outside fort wallace, and go wipe out the rest of the O’Driscolls with Sadie. Arthur just admitted for the first time to Sadie that he’s planning to do... something... to stop Dutch, which seems pretty big in resolving the plot

    Hey while in Japan can you get me some shiiiiiiit

  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Why would you want shit. Can’t you get that at home. Can’t you make that yourself.

    chrishallett83Mr Fuzzbutt
  • burboburbo Registered User regular
    Glad to see the comments about taking time on Chapter 6. I've also been thinking I would rush through to the end, assuming it was only a few hours away. I guess not.

  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Yeah you have like 20-30 hours left if you mainline it.

    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    DouglasDanger
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Chapter six is long, it felt like it was a third of the game

    I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
    StrikorJoolanderZilla360
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    My general advice for someone coming to this game at this point is to mainline story missions until you get to chapter 3, then feel free to wander around doing side stuff as much as you want to, burn through chapter 5 as quickly as possible, then make sure to do the side quests in chapter 6 before wrapping that up. Then go through the epilogue at whatever pace you like.

    I started a new game over the holiday break and was amazed at how quickly I got through chapter one and most of chapter two, having a solid grasp of the controls and game systems.

    KanaMysstZilla360
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Yeah you have like 20-30 hours left if you mainline it.

    Oh Jesus Christ

    IKknkhU.gif
    DouglasDanger
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Yeah you have like 20-30 hours left if you mainline it.
    Chapter six is long, it felt like it was a third of the game

    Fuuuuuuuck I'm only on chapter 4!

  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Red Dead Redemption 2 is far too long

    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    StiltsZilla360Medium Dave
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Red Dead Redemption 2 is far too long

    And it feels like they cut stuff
    with the O'Driscoll gang
    too

    I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
    Strikor
  • burboburbo Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Yeah you have like 20-30 hours left if you mainline it.

    Goddam. I've enjoyed what I've seen of Ch. 6 thus far, but that sounds like far, far too much.

    At least I'm getting my money's worth I suppose, but fuck.

  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    There will be an obvious point to take a break and you should take that opportunity and come back.

    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    KanaZilla360
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Oh god, this is just making me laugh at myself. I've been playing this game on and off since its launch and I'm still in chapter two. I'm sure I've put in at least twenty, if not thirty, hours by now. But almost all the missions I've played so far have still been introductions to mechanics rather than being too involved themselves, so I've been finding my joy in the open world.

    Sheesh. I should be getting on with it before I burn myself out on this game.

    Videogames are too long nowadays.

  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The optional stuff is mostly pretty good, but there's way too much of it

    I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    I don't know that I'll ever get through the fishing, mostly because the rotate to reel mechanic is not something I enjoy doing 1000 times. I've done it for the various missions but I went to catch my first legendary fish and after like 4 attempts I gave up because it wasn't fun.

    If it was just pull back the right stick to reel instead I'd probably be into it, because chilling and enjoying the scenery while waiting for nibbles is fine, but that mechanic is just nope.

    TubeMcFodderStrikorZilla360
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    if I still had my little kid hands, fishing would be a lot more tolerable. I just can't get that Mario Party angle anymore

  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited January 9
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    I don't know that I'll ever get through the fishing, mostly because the rotate to reel mechanic is not something I enjoy doing 1000 times. I've done it for the various missions but I went to catch my first legendary fish and after like 4 attempts I gave up because it wasn't fun.

    If it was just pull back the right stick to reel instead I'd probably be into it, because chilling and enjoying the scenery while waiting for nibbles is fine, but that mechanic is just nope.

    I don't know why game developers keep thinking that rotating the stick is something anyone wants to do for more than, like, 4 seconds.

    If they had just blatantly copied how fishing works in Yakuza 0 it would be so much more enjoyable.

    Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    Zilla360
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King Walls of Jakiro Registered User regular
    speaking of fishing do I have to wait until post game to finish fishing over near black water

    I can get to the spots but the amount of pinkerton camps/the game just spawning them on top of you makes it impossible to actually fully catch it without being interrupted

    icGJy2C.png
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King Walls of Jakiro Registered User regular
    ok yeah it just straight up spawns lawmen on top of you

    coooooool

    ah well

    icGJy2C.png
  • McFodderMcFodder 'SploringRegistered User regular
    edited January 10
    Shit, I've been avoiding debt collection missions since probably chapter 3 because they made me feel like an asshole and it's way more fun to just antagonize Strauss about being useless without me.

    My only main quest mission showing at the moment is for Micah so I have been doing everything else I can because fuck that guy.

    While I appreciate the craft of the story Rockstar are telling here
    I would much prefer my Arthur just give most of his worldly possessions to those in the gang he likes to help them (think I've got about $3k with nothing to really spend it on at the moment), and then go set up camp with Charlotte, teaching her how to survive and thrive in the wilderness with what time he has left.

    McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / NNID: Fodder185
    Zilla360
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Yeah, video game mechanics vs narrative clash sometimes.

    Like, I ended up grabbing all the treasures early on (and by grab I mean look up online because I don't have time to scour the massive map for clues like I did when I played the first game) and now every time Dutch or Arthur or whoever are like "well we're gonna need more money!" I'm like I have 7000 dollars and literally nothing to spend it on let's move to California y'all.

    DouglasDangerZilla360
  • McFodderMcFodder 'SploringRegistered User regular
    I got my first treasure last night!

    It didn't check off the explorer challenge 'Find treasure' though :(

    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / NNID: Fodder185
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Yeah, video game mechanics vs narrative clash sometimes.

    Like, I ended up grabbing all the treasures early on (and by grab I mean look up online because I don't have time to scour the massive map for clues like I did when I played the first game) and now every time Dutch or Arthur or whoever are like "well we're gonna need more money!" I'm like I have 7000 dollars and literally nothing to spend it on let's move to California y'all.

    I mean that's kind of exactly how the game designs you to feel though

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    PreacherDouglasDangerStrikor
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Online update today

    Battle Royale mode “gun rush” getting added

    More updates coming soon:

    - wanted/bounty system
    - Random world events
    - New dress up/guns

    Preacher
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'll try to make another character

    Mine was inhuman looking that it made me feel funny

    I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
Sign In or Register to comment.