As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FFXI, Yes? No?

KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
So after my bout with WoW for about a year, and getting over that I've been really interested in something new to pour hours into. In light of this, I've heard good and bad things about FFXI. However, I think I'm going to need some opinions on this, so has anyone actually played FFXI extensively for months on end who can supply their opinion on it?

I'm looking for things like, what's the end-game like and etcetera and also if it's worth it to buy the base-game/expansion deal they have going.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
XBL
Kajusta on

• Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If you have the time to put into it, and love grouping, then yes, the game is worth it.

If you have neither of those, or only have one, then no, absolutely not.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I was never at the end game, by the way, simply because I didn't have enough time to put into it, and I enjoyed playing all of the jobs, not really sticking to just one. However, a friend of mine I used to work with has damn near every job level maxed out, and after watching him go through the end game raiding and such, I'm glad I never went that high.

The story missions the game has are pretty rad, though.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So on the all and all, would you say it was a good purchase? I mean, I want something that can actually hold my attention longer than like a week or two. Waiting for HG:L and WAR =/

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Oh, definitely. It's not something that you're going to purchase, and then be done with it two days later. Once you get your first taste of grouping, with a good group, mind you, you'll be hooked, especially with skill chains going all over the place. In fact, it's probably the most fun I've had in an MMO as far as grouping is concerned.

If you're asking me if I regret ever buying and playing the game? Not at all. I have a lot of awesome memories there, playing with all the SE++ folk on Carbuncle.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FFXI will take about two weeks to just learn, so you should be real busy with it. I loved almost every moment of it, and it's easily the most challenging MMOG I've ever played. If you find a group and a guild (called a LinkShell in the game) to hang out with, you'll be set.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    VashinVashin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    just be prepaired to do a lot of back tracking.

at lvl 18 you get a sub job and you have to go back to lvl 1 to lvl that job up.

then at lvl 30 you get an advanced class that you have to go back to lvl 1 to lvl up that job.

and getting from 1-30 takes a good ammount of time. im not sure if they changed this but it took me forever.

Vashin on
    megadoomer311.png
    Pokemon Diamond:3394 0249 9567
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FFXI will take about two weeks to just learn, so you should be real busy with it. I loved almost every moment of it, and it's easily the most challenging MMOG I've ever played. If you find a group and a guild (called a LinkShell in the game) to hang out with, you'll be set.

Have you tried Dark Age of Camelot? To me, that was the hardest MMO ever, outside of Korea mind you because their MMO's are insane. They have softened it up considerably though, like artifacts and leveling up are now like 98% of what they used to be.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Is there any sort of demo/trial I can download? I did some research, and the site I went to said something about buddy keys. If there are buddy keys, and someone has one, he/she should send one my way

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    FromAlpha2OmegaFromAlpha2Omega Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's an unfun timesink. I tried my hardest to like it, but it was just crap.

FromAlpha2Omega on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    I still subscribe, although I haven't started it up in some time.

For almost all jobs, a party is required to do anything. If you like to solo, you are limited severely in your job selection.

I think the game is pretty fun.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    From your signature, it's obvious that you play WoW as well. How do they compare in your opinion?

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    DarkDragoonDarkDragoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's honestly one of the few pay-to-play MMO's to date that I've been willing to pay for (though, I currently lack the means to play it). While it isn't as fast as other MMOs, the reliance on grouping and the way the class system was set up were a nice change of pace from most of the other MMO's I've played over the years.

DarkDragoon on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    the fifth expansion was announced this week so they still have a lot going for it. but i think they lost a large part of the hardcore (i.e. fun like me) community when RMT got out of control. If you are coming from WoW the game is a lot harder. Although not nearly as hard as when I sarted it up 3 ytears ago. Great game but I had my fill.

Best story in any MMO hands down. The third expansion Chain of the Promathia fucking made me cry. thats right a grown man crying in an MMO storyline. and not because a she-male stole my stuff either.

it ate my soul for 2.5 years give it a try.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    fourth not fifth

and only 3rd if you count seperate products

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Well I have an old box somewhere, possibly have my old account...I wonder if there's a buddy key in there somewhere. Aside from that though....DarkDragoon, Sonos, or Just_Bri_Thanks, would any of you happen to have a 'buddy key' or whatever they are called? Or information on whether or not there is an actual buddy/trial system =/

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    All MMOs have grinding, but FFXI emphasizes this to a serious fault from levels 10 to around 30, after which is when you start getting the more useful equipment and skills. There are certain choke points most players are forced through, stuff like Valkurm and Qufim, which are nightmare zones for a variety of reasons, yet necessary if you want to level up sometime this decade. If you can deal with that - and usually that depends on getting a good group, hooking up with a quality linkshell, or just being lucky - then the rest is easier.

Still, though, I had fun with it. Changing jobs is unassailably cool and the story wasn't half bad, once I actually got around to it. And sometimes there are just little moments that made it for me, like when I got pulled away from killing crawlers for silks to help some low-level player get to San d'Oria, and he rewarded me with two crawler silks - exactly what I needed to make a stack for sale. :^:

Bottom line, there are better MMOs, but I still got plenty of bang for the monthly buck. As always, your mileage will vary.

Edit: I forget what the buddy keys thing is all about; they may be talking about world passes, which you need for specific servers, but I'm a bit behind on their offers and junk. You do have to pay for the software, though the first month is free, and I think they just released the game plus the expansions on DVD for about 30 bucks. Bit of a leap of faith, as it were.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So it turns out I do have my FFXI box along with all the manuals and stuff. The only thing is, while I wrote down my POL ID and POL email...I didn't write down the password. This could be a problem.

Edit: So apparently there is Chocobo raising? HOW DID THIS BYPASS ME

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    Yossarian_Lives!Yossarian_Lives! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    No, you cant do anything without crazy grinding in a group. But that isnt so bad. By the time you really need some friends (AF armor/breaking the level caps) you should have a large group to pull from. A side effect of constant grouping and grinding is you will spend a lot of time chatting with the same people. This has a tendancy to foster very strong, friendly Linkshells (guilds) They also do not limit you to one LS.

Going to FFXI from warcraft..i think the worst thing will be finding quests. There are no yellow question marks here. and some quests cant be gotten til you get enough fame, and theres no real way to track fame save the cryptic remarks a few NPCs will throw at you when asked.

I'm so tempted to play this again...WoW might have burnt me out of the MMO scene for quite a while though.

Yossarian_Lives! on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    No, you cant do anything without crazy grinding in a group. But that isnt so bad. By the time you really need some friends (AF armor/breaking the level caps) you should have a large group to pull from. A side effect of constant grouping and grinding is you will spend a lot of time chatting with the same people. This has a tendancy to foster very strong, friendly Linkshells (guilds) They also do not limit you to one LS.

Going to FFXI from warcraft..i think the worst thing will be finding quests. There are no yellow question marks here. and some quests cant be gotten til you get enough fame, and theres no real way to track fame save the cryptic remarks a few NPCs will throw at you when asked.

I'm so tempted to play this again...WoW might have burnt me out of the MMO scene for quite a while though.

Yeah, I heard from numerous people that the game actually starts getting really fun at around level 30-40...I don't know though, unless I suddenly pull the password out of my ass (considering it's not one of the ones I actually use) I think I'm out of luck unless I spend 30 or whatever it costs to buy the game

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    fourth not fifth

durno why but i went original release > the sky one > cop > toau > the new one

5 releases by my count. 2nd was a seperate expansion for japan not for us.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    fourth not fifth

Release > Zilart > Chains > Persia > new one.

Zilart was the one with the retail in the states. That'd be 4 in the US 5 in Japan, ONLY if you count release, which since it's not an expansion you wouldn't.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited May 2007
    fourth not fifth

dude you said 5 expansions, not 5 releases.

everything i said was fully correct

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    fourth not fifth

dude you said 5 expansions, not 5 releases.

everything i said was fully correct

lets argue about it we'll probably get somewhere with it. it's saturday night i'm playing pokemon and typing on the internet. IM DRUNK DUH

ps. i was an awesome Paladin. Kujata fo life

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    whats sick is I own every single US release of this game in every form (that's 9 products) and have not played one minute of it because MMO's scare me

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    whats sick is I own every single US release of this game in every form and have not played one minute of it because MMO's scare me

lol that is sick...why praytell?

but then again...dont. in it's day this game was the smiz and good heavens could it eat every living piece of your life away. XI was my first and last.

funny thing is I still keep up with all my old linkshell pals and we all play xbox live now almost every night. going from fantasy names to rl names is an odd transition. heh, but fun.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    cuz sigh FF is my baby series and it's the one excessive thing I collect. I would never buy multi console versions of any other game but eh... FF there you go...

that's 9 different FFXI products by the way

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    lmao then you must fear all the crap SE is putting out for 13. just about on every single console and mobile device on the planet. its people like YOU they covet. but hey, i'm with you, love the series and they keep putting out the best stuff rpg wise on the planet.

you shoulda tried 11 it was an awesome game. I made a lot of great friends there and for an mmo the story was outstanding. music is honestly the best in the series. thats just my opinion but it holds water.

anyfroot going to bed OP try it out good game. just be careful it doesnt eat you

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I would try it out if I could find out my password/get a buddy key. The latter of which is basically impossible unless you have someone buy the base game+expansion for you or something.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Coming off of WoW, I think you're going to find FFXI very slow paced. Consider:

1) Gaining levels takes longer.
    2) Getting money/Finding equipment takes longer.
    3) The way the job system is set up, you need to level up two separate classes individually.
    4) Aside from the first couple of hours, grouping is an absolutely necessity. From what my friends who were really into the game tell me, it's not uncommon to spend more time trying to find a group to party with than you spend actually playing.
    5) Since FFXI is an older game, it's mostly populated by people who have been playing it religiously for quite some time making it extra hard to find less experienced players to team up with. Starting this late in the game could be very difficult unless you have some friends to help you out.

So unless you're planning on making it a full time occupation, I wouldn't worry too much about FFXI's endgame since you're unlikely to get there this year. Maybe 2008 if you're really dedicated.

Personally, I would recommend you take a break from MMORPGs for a couple months and then give WoW another shot (maybe try a different class). Or if you really want another MMORPG, Lord of the Rings Online is new and apparently rather good.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anyone have that Gil Seller report screenshot?

That pretty much made me never want to have anything to do with this game.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Coming off of WoW, I think you're going to find FFXI very slow paced. Consider:

1) Gaining levels takes longer.
    2) Getting money/Finding equipment takes longer.
    3) The way the job system is set up, you need to level up two separate classes individually.
    4) Aside from the first couple of hours, grouping is an absolutely necessity. From what my friends who were really into the game tell me, it's not uncommon to spend more time trying to find a group to party with than you spend actually playing.
    5) Since FFXI is an older game, it's mostly populated by people who have been playing it religiously for quite some time making it extra hard to find less experienced players to team up with. Starting this late in the game could be very difficult unless you have some friends to help you out.

So unless you're planning on making it a full time occupation, I wouldn't worry too much about FFXI's endgame since you're unlikely to get there this year. Maybe 2008 if you're really dedicated.

Quoted for truth.

Compared to WoW, the grind in FFXI is obscene. The point about waiting for groups is true as well, at least it was when I played. You can spend a long time just looking for a group, but that's only the beginning, because you don't just want a group, you want a good group and anyone with experience of PUG's knows how tricky this can be. This is even more important in this game, because in order to get decent experience (combos and the like), you need people who knows what they're doing, who knows their class, and who gets along with others.

However, there is a great game in there somewhere, buried under grinding and forced grouping. I played it for a while, but I would never dream of going back.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anyone have that Gil Seller report screenshot?

That pretty much made me never want to have anything to do with this game.

Here it is, spoiled for huge:
    ffxi_gm_filfarming.jpg

I understand that SE may have changed its policies regarding gilsellers and reporting them, though. I certainly hope they have; they ignored the problem for far too long.

I loved playing FFXI in beta and for a few months after release. But then all its flaws got to be too much to look past. A version of FFXI that is actually fun to play would be awesome. The art, music, writing, quests and missions are fantastic. Much of the rest of the game is apparently designed to make you hate life. The recent additions and improvements haven't changed the unfun core gameplay.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Just to reamphasize what everyone has said. If you are a skilled player and are playing with other skilled players, the game is a tremendous joy. If you are the type to do pickups and shout for things, the game wants to make you commit suicide. Unfortunately due to the nature of MMOs, the players that are not skilled, are usually the beginners. Just due to the lack of experience (not levels) leads to quick disaster and wiping. And most experienced players tend to avoid inexperienced players due to this frusteration. Not every player is like this, but I used to help lots of newish players and had my fill. This is due to player faults, not really a game fault as it was designed to be more difficult.

For instance, the first time I leveled a job, 4-5k/hr was considered godly. You need about 4-5k xp to level say from level 25-26. Now I can grind out 3-4k/hr solo fairly easy with the signet on my low level jobs and 4-5k an hour is considered mediocre in a party. For level 75 (maxed), a crappy pickup of random party usually makes around 8k/hr. My linkshell (guild) parties have achieved around 20k/hr. There's some extremely pimped out players that can do even more than this.

If I didn't have my group of friends I play with, there's no question that I'd quit. The overall frusteration of trying to accomplish team intensive missions, boss arena fights (bcnm) and other activities that require 6+ is extremely high.

They've changed some things for the better: Signet bonus to fighting things that are lower level than you. Before you could expect to die fighting something that was slightly lower level than you. Now most jobs can solo easy prey or decent challenge mobs while looking for a group. In addition, they've increased the rate of healing when you rest. Added bonus points to smaller groups so you can duo/trio for decent xp. Most players dont but I've done it and its a nice boost.

Many gilsellers were banned, yes they are still there but they arn't in the way as much anymore. Part of this is making many items Rare/ex (Soul bound), the tradeable version is moved to a boss fight style battle which are usually pretty fun.

tl;dr horrible if you want to play solo all the way. fantastic if you can make some friends in mmos

solsovly on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I loved playing FFXI in beta and for a few months after release. But then all its flaws got to be too much to look past. A version of FFXI that is actually fun to play would be awesome. The art, music, writing, quests and missions are fantastic. Much of the rest of the game is apparently designed to make you hate life. The recent additions and improvements haven't changed the unfun core gameplay.

That screenshot you posted is truly depressing. :(

I would love a fun version of FFXI, because I really liked the setting and the beautiful art. There were times where everything would just snap together in the game. A good PUG, friendly people, etc, but most of the time it was just waiting, grinding, dying, frustration, and omg i hate this so much.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SweetdaddyGSweetdaddyG Lisburn, Northern IrelandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I always loved FFXI over WOW for some reason. It just clicked better with me.

SweetdaddyG on
    sweetdaddyg on Nintendo Network+Live/sweetdaddyg1 on PSN
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Well, I'm burned out on WoW too, but I liked it a lot longer than FFXI. :)

I'm getting increasingly pessimistic about MMOG's, actually. I'm hoping that the Conan MMOG and Warhammer will be good, but I'm sure they will fuck them both up somehow. I do play Guild Wars, but I treat it like a single player RPG that just happens to be online.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    dude, seriously, no. This game is a fucking gauntlet. Just go play LotRO. All MMOs are timesinks, but FFXI is just a monster. Be prepared to spend the better part of an hour just looking for a group before you can even start to gain EXP. Solo'ing is just not feasible in this game.

Noray on
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FFXI is an acquired taste. Don't go in expecting any thing like WoW, the game is about taking your time and shooting shit with linkshell mates. If you get a job to 75 in under a year, then you're playing too much. There is a FFXI thread in MMO extravaganza for some basic information (guide coming soon, today probably since I'm reminded to add it).

Also the grind has gone down in the past few years. Leveling in parties of 2-3 is now viable, exp bonuses ease the grind, and the new jobs are much more interactive.

edit: oh and SE did change their policy on gil selling to the point that gill sellers are virtually non-existent.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Oh wow, nice. So it turns out even if I did find the password to my POL account it wouldn't matter because support says after 3 months of in-activity they delete your account, forcing you to buy new software. What the fuck?

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Oh wow, nice. So it turns out even if I did find the password to my POL account it wouldn't matter because support says after 3 months of in-activity they delete your account, forcing you to buy new software. What the fuck?

Dude just try to log on first.

DuskTwilight on