As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Tournaments are back!

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    So there's a stage I remember playing on, maybe just on world of light, which looked like maybe a bowser castle. It took place on two flat platforms which were constantly rotating around each other, so one would be pushing you off the other, etc.

I can't find this stage at all in multiplayer. Are there wol only stages? Am I a crazy person?

It's whatever the New Super Mario Bros stage is called. Kammy comes along and uses magic to warp the stage and that's one of the forms it takes.
    Aha, thanks, it's apparently the "Slide Lift Tower" form of Mushroom Kingdom U.

• Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    [*] Shovel Knight (male) & Shovel Knight (female)
    [/list]

Shovel Knight isn't happening for the same exact reason Ray Man isn't happening, right? (They're Brawhala characters instead)

• Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    double post somehow

GlyphGryph on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    [*] Shovel Knight (male) & Shovel Knight (female)
    [/list]

Shovel Knight isn't happening for the same exact reason Ray Man isn't happening, right? (They're Brawhala characters instead)

Shovel Knight is the first non-Japanese character to get any 3D model in a smash. And Shantae got a spirit. That's it outside of some Nintendo-owned IPs. Its yet to be seen how characters created by non-Japanese companies are supposed to become playable in Smash. (Although if any company could and wanted to, I'd rate Ubisoft pretty high, given their history with Nintendo.)

Edit: ugh come to think of it, a Rabbid seems not that unlikely. With some way to do some of the dressups in Kingdom Battle. Its definitely Ubisoft's most recognizable "character" and had a ton of Wii games, and M+R KB did not too bad either.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    So I just tried playing a quick match online and, um

what the gosh danged heck

This upcoming patch better let me actually play 1v1s when I want to play 1v1s.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I bet a million dollars they don't ever change matchmaking to allow only matchmaking into no item 1v1s, no matter how much people complain.

I hope they improve lobbies to allow you to change rules without remaking the room and have the option to change character and stage picks between fights, and let 2 people on the same system be in the room together, like the 2v2 coop matchmaking mode.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    So they say this is legit in game.

Is this a hint at the dlc characters?? Katamari and Heiachi??

cfeo3htkw64h.jpeg

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    Corrin is funnnn

Corrin was absolutely one of my favorite characters in Smash 4. Too bad about her being a dipshit in her actual game, but still! Fell in love when they initially showed off this crazy kind of tokeratsu looking dragon morphing weirdo. I can't stand Marth's tipper mechanic most of the time, but feels good to poke someone just right with her spear arm, or pin them down, or catch someone close range with her projectile into her arm chomp.

Female Corrin hits all my fighting game buttons. Shes the cammy of smash imo

It's funny you say that because there's a Cammy spirit in the game. They use Shiek for the fight and have her spam this dive kick that flips over you then attacks you.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Characters I'd like to see as DLC (but won't happen)
    1. Captain Toad (didn't care until I saw this concept video, which looks like it would be a really fun character)
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqk0vlKgu2c
    2. Chun Li
    3. Knuckles
    4. Amy Rose
    5. Quote & Curly Brace (as alt models) from Cave Story
    6. Shovel Knight (male) & Shovel Knight (female)
    7. Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden
    8. someone from Chrono Trigger (I'd prefer Frog or Magus, but would be happy with Chrono)
    9. Terra or Celes from Final Fantasy VI (or Faris from FFV)
    10. Loto/Erdrick from Dragon Quest (male & female versions)
    wouldn't hold out much hope for more Square stuff. they seem to be real divas about including their content to the point where Cloud apparently doesn't even get real artwork for his spirit

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    So they say this is legit in game.

Is this a hint at the dlc characters??

Nope just a fun easter egg.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I think all of the DLC is going to consist of characters from series' that do not already have a character in the game.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Shovel Knight is the first non-Japanese character to get any 3D model in a smash.

Well, specifically 3D model...there have been a couple. For example King K. Rool was a figurine in past Smashes dating back to Melee.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I think all of the DLC is going to consist of characters from series' that do not already have a character in the game.

Like... Katamari and Heiachi?

;)

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    MMMig wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »

Like... Katamari and Heiachi?

;)

The Prince would be pretty fun. I was actually thinking about him as a potential character the other night while playing. Like, would they make him visible or it would just be the Katamari you fought with and the Prince would be too tiny to see? Would the Katamari get bigger the more damage it took? Would one of its moves be to catch any projectiles or thrown items and have them all stick to it? I was just imagining a Katamari covered in max charged Super Scope shots or tons and tons of Ray Gun blasts.

• Options
    Prince is definitely more an assist trophy one-and-done roll across the stage thing.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Speaking of that NSMU stage. World of Light does a thing occasionally where a stage that normally changes shape stays in one configuration (such as Wuhu Island being stuck in volcano mode). Is this something that can be done in normal smash, via the hazard toggle or something?

• Options
    They need to patch a stage creator back in. That was always a fun feature.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Rend wrote: »
    So there's a stage I remember playing on, maybe just on world of light, which looked like maybe a bowser castle. It took place on two flat platforms which were constantly rotating around each other, so one would be pushing you off the other, etc.

I can't find this stage at all in multiplayer. Are there wol only stages? Am I a crazy person?

It's whatever the New Super Mario Bros stage is called. Kammy comes along and uses magic to warp the stage and that's one of the forms it takes.
    Aha, thanks, it's apparently the "Slide Lift Tower" form of Mushroom Kingdom U.

That is exactly it, thanks to both of you!

• Options
    It seems weird to me that we’ve never had a straight-up Bowser Castle stage in this series. Just as part of the Sticker Star stage.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Enlong wrote: »
    It seems weird to me that we’ve never had a straight-up Bowser Castle stage in this series. Just as part of the Sticker Star stage.

Holy shit youre right. How did this happen? Like the mechanic of breaking the supports and dropping everyone into lava is right there.

Viskod on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Fantasy DLC characters:
    Sans
    Agent 47
    Urdnot Wrex
    One of the aliens from Space Invaders
    Ezio
    Sub-Zero, because why the heck not.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I want Loto because I want another swordsman that is not the exact same Fire Emblem guy in different colors and effects.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I think that the boss of the Classic Mode for every DLC character should be the same: Assist Trophy boss rush of characters that were highly requested but didn't make it, with a giant boss Waluigi at the end.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Hello Smash thread! I've been playing World of Light during breaks in my trip and it's been a blast so far. Love that not only is there a Chaotix spirit, but unlocking it requires fighting Sonic, Pichu and K. Rool.

Anyway, I'm sure this has been answered but I don't have time to wade through 600+ posts: you can't unlock every single character by playing World of Light, right? That's what some Internet sleuthing has indicated but I haven't found a definitive answer yet.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    You can unlock every character in adventure mode.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    persona 5 is about invading the mental worlds of corrupt people in positions of power, right? I figure Joker’s classic mode will see him fighting folks like Wario, Dedede, K. Rool, and Ganondorf before eventually fighting Dracula.

Enlong on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Give me a Resident Evil character as DLC Capcom/Nintendo.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So I'm sure someone else came to this conclusion in the week I was away, but:

Joker makes perfect sense in Smash as an overall representative of Shin Megami Tensei, which has been going on as a series for over 30 years. Same way Cloud makes more sense as an overall representative of Final Fantasy, which has also been going that long. With that, we have two of Japan's three biggest RPG series.

With that in mind, it seems a little odd Dragon Quest isn't part of the mix. I'm putting five Internet bucks down on Slime.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/HJeiKhF04Uc

Very accurate review.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I unlocked Cloud last night, super excited to try him out when I get home from work today. Does he use summon materia, or are those Midgar stage hazards?

Midgar hazards. Whoever grabs the materia summons.

They missed a real opportunity to make his final smash Knights of the Round, it should also last the entire 1:30 it normally takes.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I toned down the brightness but I still lose track of my character. There is something "different" about the visuals in this Smash but I can't figure out what. Any suggestions?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Play a huge character

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    unlocked all the dudes

mewtwo was the last holdout, which is appropriate because i think he was the last unlock i got in melee

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I toned down the brightness but I still lose track of my character. There is something "different" about the visuals in this Smash but I can't figure out what. Any suggestions?

It might be just me, but the arrows and names over each players heads during a match seem smaller than usual, and can be especially difficult to distinguish when there's any other kind of particle effect, like smoke

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

The smoke is much larger in this one

Eventually I got used to it though

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So how does one play with people they happen to know over the internet on the nintendo switch smash bros online?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    Man, I need more in-game gold. I keep running out buying music and mii outfits. Hopefully I'm close to getting most of that stuff by now.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »

It might be just me, but the arrows and names over each players heads during a match seem smaller than usual, and can be especially difficult to distinguish when there's any other kind of particle effect, like smoke

They should've brought back the 3DS outline feature! Really useful in battles with over 3 people.

I love that you can play with 8 players anywhere, all the time now though. Everything Smash 4 did halfway is fully realized...except for the few features missing or changed.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Gonna be streaming from 2-4. Probably a majority of online battling and then backing out to buy mii costumes and unlock more fools.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »
    Man, I need more in-game gold. I keep running out buying music and mii outfits. Hopefully I'm close to getting most of that stuff by now.

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to earn in-game gold either. Seems like best methods are to play Classic mode and just keep doing that over and over. You get most of your early gold in Adventure mode, but after that, it really only seems to trickle in slowly.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

This discussion has been closed.