As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Tournaments are back!

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Deans wrote: »
    Having a Creeper as an assist trophy would be neat.

Or hell, just make a Creeper the playable character. Now that I think about it Creepers are probably the most iconic thing in Minecraft.
    I know they already did the Piranha Plant thing but coming up with a moveset for a creature who's only canonical move is to self-destruct seems a bridge too far :P

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I was telling my wife how they’ve said all DLC will be 3rd party characters and she offhandedly suggested “They should do a Sanrio character, like Aggretsuko”

And now I can’t stop thinking about how awesome that character would be.

DID they say they'd all be 3rd party characters? I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case but I haven't heard that officially stated.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Is there going to be a tournament tomorrow, or did I miss some posts about it not happening?

@Sterica were you going to make an event?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I was telling my wife how they’ve said all DLC will be 3rd party characters and she offhandedly suggested “They should do a Sanrio character, like Aggretsuko”

DID they say they'd all be 3rd party characters? I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case but I haven't heard that officially stated.

The exact phrasing was
    "These are going to be characters that are new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5. Characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate."

They would pretty much have to be.

EDIT: That's "They would pretty much have to be new to the series", not "They would pretty much have to be third-party".

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

The exact phrasing was
    "These are going to be characters that are new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5. Characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate."

They would pretty much have to be.

Nah. You could throw in Kalas (Baten Kaitos) and satisfy that condition. Lots of Nintendo stuff would count. Piranha Plant meets that condition even.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Did Robocop or the Terminator ever have tie-in games on a Nintendo system? I’m sure they did.
    What about a Jurassic Park “velociraptor”?

Or to go properly sideways, how about the hero of legend himself, Emmet Brickowski?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Yes, but they’re all movie characters first. That rule has yet to be broken.

Now, Jack from Titenic? He’s a gaming icon whose game just so happens to have a title that coincidentally sounds a little like the name of a movie, so he’s fair game.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Make a blast corps character

no I don't know how that would work, you're the gaming company Nintendo not me

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Some jag in a Facebook group I moderate was trying to bait me hard.

I was (still am) one of the biggest proponents of bringing Geno to the Smash arena. Who cares if he's already a legendary spirit included in the game, it could still happen.

He starts going on about how Geno isn't niche enough, and Nintendo needs to go more unexpected, like bringing in Chibi-Robo or BoxBoy or something. Geno's moves are basically MiiGunner.

And all I can think of is for the 12 or so sword users, how many of them could've been supplanted as "just another MiiSwordfighter"... Especially all of Fire Emblem.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    put blackthorne in smash

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Kumatora from Mother 3 shall ever be my pick, but alas it’s not to be.

5abmgj2hrsvb.png

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I'm trying to think of other gaming icons or legendary series, regardless of console.

Ultima
    King's Quest
    Wolfenstein
    Tetris
    Carmen Sandiego
    Might & Magic
    Wonder Boy
    Goemon
    Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior
    Contra
    Dizzy
    Ys
    Phantasy Star
    Ninja Gaiden
    SaGa
    Fortune Street
    Civilization
    Puyo Puyo
    Bubble Bobble

I could see any of them except Civilization theoretically getting a character. I mean, what are they going to do, put Angry Gandhi in the game? Fortune Street probably also doesn't count since it's just Nintendo and Dragon Quest characters anyway.

Now, for actual characters:

Ultima - Lord British
    King's Quest - King Graham
    Wolfenstein - Has BJ always been the protagonist?
    Tetris - Tetromino, normally a line piece but flips between the other pieces to attack similar to G&W
    Carmen Sandiego - Carmen Sandiego
    Wonder Boy - Wonder Boy
    Goemon - Goemon
    Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior - Erdrick
    Contra - Contra Guy
    Dizzy - Dizzy
    Ninja Gaiden - Ryu Hayabusa
    SaGa/Ys/Phantasy Star/Might & Magic - Not sure if these series have recurring characters or any iconic protagonists
    Puyo Puyo - I've never played a Puyo before.
    Bubble Bobble - Bub, possibly Bob if they're feeling saucy.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ys has Adol. Main char of most of em.

Phantasy Star is lacking in any obvious choices, imo. Lots of major characters, almost none show up in more than one game outside of flashbacks and stuff iirc.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Make a blast corps character

no I don't know how that would work, you're the gaming company Nintendo not me

One of the robots could be pretty cool. Problem is they each only have one trademark move...

• Options
    I'd be hype as shit for any of the PS2 platformer trio (Ratchet & Clank > Jak & Daxter > Sly Fox) and even moreso if they announced Switch ports for them. Spyro would also be neat, but I'm kind of over Crash (though he's the only one that's actually been on Nintendo hardware, I think?)

Ape Escape kid could have a fun, Villager-esque kit.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I honestly kind of want Halo and Master Chief in the game. I don't have any particular love for the character or anything. But it would blow everybody's mind. And it's really no longer outside the realm of possibility. MS and Nintendo don't really have any animosity towards each other.

I'm really just almost expecting either MS or Sony to jump first on the bandwagon. And I feel MS is more likely to do it over Sony, what with the whole crossplay kerfuffle going on.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I honestly kind of want Halo and Master Chief in the game. I don't have any particular love for the character or anything. But it would blow everybody's mind. And it's really no longer outside the realm of possibility. MS and Nintendo don't really have any animosity towards each other.

I'm really just almost expecting either MS or Sony to jump first on the bandwagon. And I feel MS is more likely to do it over Sony, what with the whole crossplay kerfuffle going on.

Halo still has yet to show up on a Nintendo thing, so I wouldn’t hold your breath on that.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Honestly I'd just like any western-developed character to make it in just to shut up all the people who keep insisting a western character would be impossible. (Which reminds me of all the people who kept saying Bayonetta was impossible during Smash 4.)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Honestly I'd just like any western-developed character to make it in just to shut up all the people who keep insisting a western character would be impossible. (Which reminds me of all the people who kept saying Bayonetta was impossible during Smash 4.)

But K. Rool tho.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

Halo still has yet to show up on a Nintendo thing, so I wouldn’t hold your breath on that.

I really don't give a shit anymore about the "Nintendo" rule or the "Well this game was technically..." loophole. Persona 5 is a PS3/4 game. Cloud is more a PS mascot than anything. So many of the spirits are from games that never touched a Nintendo system. Shit, I just upgraded a Metal Gear Zeke into a Sahelanthropus.

The rule has been thoroughly and utterly subverted and bypassed at this point. They might as well just out and out break it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

But K. Rool tho.

I KNOW. Doesn't stop people from saying that.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I can see it now. Trailer opens. Scene: A dark brown, uneven planetary surface. Looks extraterrestrial in nature. Smoke and the sounds of war fill the air. Pop, pop, like distant gunshots. The hiss of a crackling, war-torn world. Suddenly, an enormous yellow craft crashes to the surface, filling the frame. Smoke and particles fly everywhere. Then: another crash. In the reflection of the closest yellow object, shining in the daylight: a figure comes into focus, standing, hands-on-hips, defiantly.

MASTER CHIEF.

Wait, no. A Master CHEF. .....What!?!

.................Camera pulls back to reveal that the planetary scene is actually a pancake on the griddle. Then it flips around...

COOKING MAMA IS OUT OF THE FRYING PAN AND INTO THE FIRE!!!

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/minecraft-nintendo-switch-edition-digital-version#add-on-content
    There is a Halo DLC pack for Minecraft on Switch. Includes Master Chief, Cortana, and a bunch of other characters plus music.

Crippl3 on
  • Options

I really don't give a shit anymore about the "Nintendo" rule or the "Well this game was technically..." loophole. Persona 5 is a PS3/4 game. Cloud is more a PS mascot than anything. So many of the spirits are from games that never touched a Nintendo system. Shit, I just upgraded a Metal Gear Zeke into a Sahelanthropus.

The rule has been thoroughly and utterly subverted and bypassed at this point. They might as well just out and out break it.

Yes, it’s ridiculously tenuous and has been stretched to the absolute limit. It may as well be broken, but it hasn’t yet been. Until it does, I’d assume that the actual playable fighters will keep paying lip service to it, because so far Nintendo has done so.

• Options

Nah. Sakurai said that Cloud represents Final Fantasy as a whole, and loads of those games have been on Nintendo systems. By the same token, Joker represents Shin Megami Tensei as a whole, and loads of those have been on Nintendo systems.

• Options

Nah. Sakurai said that Cloud represents Final Fantasy as a whole, and loads of those games have been on Nintendo systems. By the same token, Joker represents Shin Megami Tensei as a whole, and loads of those have been on Nintendo systems.

And he even brought over the 2 best Final Fantasy songs to represent the breadth of the series.

• Options
    Just to be clear, I'm not being some anal purist, saying "Eww, look at all these unfit characters in the game, they're not real Nintendo characters". I'm saying the exact opposite. To go for it. As soon as possible. Pop that cherry so the remaining characters and speculation are utter chaos.

I don't see a point anymore in having the bouncer at the front when everybody is getting in through the back.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the DLC roster will be all franchises that are bigger in Japan than anywhere else. Master Chief, Doom Guy, Leon Kennedy, Sub-Zero, Skyrim Dude, fucking Steve... I don't think any of them have a chance.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the DLC roster will be all franchises that are bigger in Japan than anywhere else. Master Chief, Doom Guy, Leon Kennedy, Sub-Zero, Skyrim Dude, fucking Steve... I don't think any of them have a chance.

Is RE/Biohazard not a big thing in Japan?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Are there any Nippon-Ichi spirits

They also have a potential Brave candidate

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options

And he even brought over the 2 best Final Fantasy songs to represent the breadth of the series.

That's almost certainly Squeenix's fault.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

Terra in Black and FF6 Boss Fight songs are in it?!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
      I kind of hope the next character isn't Erdrick because no one deserves the treatment Square gave Cloud in Smash.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
      Steam: TimIsOnSteam
      Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
      Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
      PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
    • Options
      GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
      edited January 2019
      I kind of hope the next character isn't Erdrick because no one deserves the treatment Square gave Cloud in Smash.

I chalk up the garbage costume options and the lack of FF music to Square's unwillingness to go all-in. I get it, but it sucks.

Cloud as a fighter is terrific, though. Captures the essence of the character from his game, brings some new shit to the Smash table mechanics-wise, and is pretty unique.

GMaster7 on
      PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    • Options
      Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
      GMaster7 wrote: »

I chalk up the garbage costume options and the lack of FF music to Square's unwillingness to go all-in. I get it, but it sucks.

Cloud as a fighter is terrific, though. Captures the essence of the character from his game, brings some new shit to the Smash table mechanics-wise, and is pretty unique.

Oh, yes -- I'm talking specifically about everything surrounding the character, not his actual mechanics. Midgar needs more (and remixed) music and FF needs more spirits, and that his voicelines weren't translated sticks out even more now that Marth and Roy are voiced in English.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
      Steam: TimIsOnSteam
      Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
      Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
      PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
    • Options
      TimFiji wrote: »

Terra in Black and FF6 Boss Fight songs are in it?!

Man, if they could have existing fan remixes in, I'd smash people to this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xFhULStbkQ

• Options
      Midgar needs more (and remixed) music and FF needs any spirits at all besides Cloud

Fixed.

• Options
      TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
      Is there no chance for Rayman and Banjo-Kazooie?

Those two are the biggest "signings" missing for me

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    • Options
      Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
      yeah dude, I love final fantasy music
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

• Options
      edited January 2019
      That had better be Crazy Chocobo.

edit:

got it in one.

Enlong on
    This discussion has been closed.