As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Tournaments are back!

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I don’t think stage creator is back, no

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Fine by me. Can only fight on so many ding-dongs.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Oh god, I'd forgotten the Brawl stage creator. That was so fun.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    I don’t think stage creator is back, no

Oh god... my nephew forced me to play him on his custom stages.

Yeah....
    We prob spent an hour on a single map once.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    So how much is it for Smash Bros + the DLC pack?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    So how much is it for Smash Bros + the DLC pack?

eighty buckaroos from the eshop

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Btw, this is an idea I'm throwing around for side-event type stuff (maybe Sunday funday tournaments?), I'd like some feedback if anyone's interested:
    Stamina Mode (~300hp to start), Smash Meter On, Items off

Stages (hazard off): Figure 8 Circuit, Bridge of Eldin, Shadow Moses, Gerudo Valley, Tortimer Island, Mario Galaxy, Coliseum, Wii Fit Studio, Boxing Ring. Just about anything that is pretty symmetrical with walk offs.

Currently calling it Super Smash Fighter 2

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »
    Btw, this is an idea I'm throwing around for side-event type stuff (maybe Sunday funday tournaments?), I'd like some feedback if anyone's interested:

Stages (hazard off): Figure 8 Circuit, Bridge of Eldin, Shadow Moses, Gerudo Valley, Tortimer Island, Mario Galaxy, Coliseum, Wii Fit Studio, Boxing Ring. Just about anything that is pretty symmetrical with walk offs.

If we're talking side events, King of Smashers 2018 Squad Strike sounds cool

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Squad Strike seems like it was really well-implemented.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »

I think one of the sf spirit matches (vs juri?) included jump height halved, I wonder if that’ll be an available rule setting

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Can we take a moment to appreciate just how silly the name "Super Smash Bros." is?

I mean, that name totally fit Smash 64, since it was kind of a goofy lark. "Mario and Luigi are hitting each other, haha!" But then the tone got more serious and the content exploded and people started taking it seriously at tournaments etc. It's now a huge, meticulously-crafted phenomenon, yet it still has that goofy lark of a name.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I think it's a play on "Super Mario Bros." since that started... everything.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I just assume now that like how Nintendo didn’t know what a bounty hunter was re: samus, they don’t actually know what “Bros.” means

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    I just assume now that like how Nintendo didn’t know what a bounty hunter was re: samus, they don’t actually know what “Bros.” means

Nah this was a calculated thing. You see Super and Bros. and immediately associate it with Nintendo

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular

Nah this was a calculated thing. You see Super and Bros. and immediately associate it with Nintendo

Alternate timeline where "Bros" becomes the shorthand for this series instead of "Smash"

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »

Alternate timeline where "Bros" becomes the shorthand for this series instead of "Smash"

That would make for one dysfunctional family.

• Options
    While I'm at it, let's remember how perfect the commercial for Smash 64 was:

https://youtu.be/K783SDTBKmg

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    If anyone's curious about which tracks are in, here's a spreadsheet with all the tracknames. Not counting fanfares there's 845 songs.

Looks like just 14 songs got cut: Super Mario Bros. Ground Theme 2 (from Brawl), Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, Midna's Lament, The Great Sea, Molgera (Zelda), Parasite Queen (Metroid), Checker Knights (Kirby), Forest/Nature Area (Kirby), Wild Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, Wrath of the Reset Bomb (Kid Icarus), Dark Pit (Chapter 6, Kid Icarus), the three Uta commercial songs from Pikmin, Famicom Medley, Theme of Solid Snake and Right Here, Right On (Sonic Rush). Some of those got new remixes.

Edit: Going through Sonic didn't get any new remixes (though Studiopolis from Sonic Mania got in), and there's zilch from Metal Gear Solid 5, heh.

I'm disappointed they didn't add more tracks from Punch Out Wii. That game had some amazing music, especially the character specific remixes of the main theme. Imagine battling with some of these themes in the background.

https://youtu.be/-Zylwvd202o
    https://youtu.be/Ya8Sng3mZqA
    https://youtu.be/uP8f7zqnU1w
    https://youtu.be/3DJxFPPbjbQ

Though I wonder if a lack of tracks for certain series mean we're getting more music included with the DLC characters when one from that series is released.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I'm so stoked for the DLC reveals. I have a feeling that the first DLC character will be announced right around launch as a way to entice people to buy the DLC pass. As such, I'd assume the first reveal is going to be a big, recognizable name that will generate tons of interest - which is why Banjo&Kazooie would be a perfect pick. A Square-Enix rep might also be a good choice, especially a big name with a game coming soon (Sora comes to mind) but Banjo&Kazooie seems like a better bet.

• Options
    Speaking of soundtracks, if you haven't watched the Netflix Castlevania S2 yet, go do it.

Regardless of the show itself, there's an episode where the music... just..... oh man

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Cruor wrote: »
    I'm so stoked for the DLC reveals. I have a feeling that the first DLC character will be announced right around launch as a way to entice people to buy the DLC pass. As such, I'd assume the first reveal is going to be a big, recognizable name that will generate tons of interest - which is why Banjo&Kazooie would be a perfect pick. A Square-Enix rep might also be a good choice, especially a big name with a game coming soon (Sora comes to mind) but Banjo&Kazooie seems like a better bet.

Both of those would be pretty huge gets.

The timed rollout means that each of these announcements is going to be a pretty big deal, and the expectations will probably be somewhat high. If they announce that the first DLC fighter is, I dunno, Paratroopa or something, it's gonna be a huge letdown (even though he's my historic main in Mario Tennis and I'd main the shit out of him in Smash). On the other hand, if they announce, like, Mickey Mouse, the universe will implode.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »

Both of those would be pretty huge gets.

The timed rollout means that each of these announcements is going to be a pretty big deal, and the expectations will probably be somewhat high. If they announce that the first DLC fighter is, I dunno, Paratroopa or something, it's gonna be a huge letdown (even though he's my historic main in Mario Tennis and I'd main the shit out of him in Smash). On the other hand, if they announce, like, Mickey Mouse, the universe will implode.

I was thinking about major Nintendo characters that still aren't playable, and then I remembered Fawful. If we get another Mario rep, Fawful would be awesome and give another opportunity for us to get a proper Bowser's Castle stage.

• Options
    the first non plant DLC announcement will be at E3 for sure
    Probably an available after the direct situation if we're lucky.

They could reveal them all at once but it seems like one at a time would keep people talking about the game

• Options
    edited November 2018

They could reveal them all at once but it seems like one at a time would keep people talking about the game

The game launches next week and E3 isn't until June 2019. I think we get our first announcement long before then. Players are going to be reluctant to pony up for the DLC pass if the DLC fighters are a complete question mark for 8 months.

Edit: The Game Awards, on the other hand, are Nov. 9 - two days after launch.

GMaster7 on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    T-Danger wrote: »
    If anyone's curious about which tracks are in, here's a spreadsheet with all the tracknames. Not counting fanfares there's 845 songs.

Looks like just 14 songs got cut: Super Mario Bros. Ground Theme 2 (from Brawl), Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, Midna's Lament, The Great Sea, Molgera (Zelda), Parasite Queen (Metroid), Checker Knights (Kirby), Forest/Nature Area (Kirby), Wild Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, Wrath of the Reset Bomb (Kid Icarus), Dark Pit (Chapter 6, Kid Icarus), the three Uta commercial songs from Pikmin, Famicom Medley, Theme of Solid Snake and Right Here, Right On (Sonic Rush). Some of those got new remixes.

Edit: Going through Sonic didn't get any new remixes (though Studiopolis from Sonic Mania got in), and there's zilch from Metal Gear Solid 5, heh.

I'm disappointed they didn't add more tracks from Punch Out Wii. That game had some amazing music, especially the character specific remixes of the main theme. Imagine battling with some of these themes in the background.

Though I wonder if a lack of tracks for certain series mean we're getting more music included with the DLC characters when one from that series is released.

I'm definitely hopeful the music in the DLC packs are an excuse to fill in some of the gaps in under-represented series and aren't just a pile of tracks from that character's franchise. Much as I like the series I'd say we're good on Mario music.

(Unless the character is from a new franchise, of course.)

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I'm definitely hopeful the DLC packs are an excuse to fill in some of the gaps in under-represented series
    Five meeting that requirement: Dixie Kong, Black Shadow (from F-Zero), Tails, Zero (from Mega Man), Birdo (from Yoshi?). Maybe another Xenoblade character instead of Birdo, because Birdo is technically from Mario. Or Doki Doki Panic. Whatever.

Five not meeting that requirement, but would be fun: Geno, Banjo&Kazooie, Sora, Chibi Robo, Waluigi.

Five literally not possible: Pierce Brosnan, Mickey Mouse, Barack Obama, Bob Ross, the Grinch. (And don't bring Mii Fighter into this.)

GMaster7 on
  • Options
    I'm definitely hopeful the DLC packs are an excuse to fill in some of the gaps in under-represented series
    Five meeting that requirement: Dixie Kong, Black Shadow (from F-Zero), Tails, Zero (from Mega Man), Birdo (from Yoshi?). Maybe another Xenoblade character instead of Birdo, because Birdo is technically from Mario. Or Doki Doki Panic. Whatever.

Five not meeting that requirement, but would be fun: Geno, Banjo&Kazooie, Sora, Chibi Robo, Waluigi.

Five literally not possible: Pierce Brosnan, Mickey Mouse, Barack Obama, Bob Ross, the Grinch. (And don't bring Mii Fighter into this.)

Haha, I meant "fill in gaps in the music." :P

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Not getting my hopes up about any new SE rep being something other than maybe another FFVII character. Sephiroth specifically.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I'm not going to say having One-Winged Angel while Kirby is fighting Rosalina wouldn't be awesome

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular

The game launches next week and E3 isn't until June 2019. I think we get our first announcement long before then. Players are going to be reluctant to pony up for the DLC pass if the DLC fighters are a complete question mark for 8 months.

Edit: The Game Awards, on the other hand, are Nov. 9 - two days after launch.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo announce a new Direct after Smash launches. Something to reveal the new games for spring, and maybe tease the first DLC character.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    They gave a rough timeline, in that we would hopefully get all 5 sometime in 2019, so I'm expecting a fairly steady release, if they do it the way they should and work on one, finish and release it, then start working on the next one.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Not getting my hopes up about any new SE rep being something other than maybe another FFVII character. Sephiroth specifically.

this would be terrible but at the same time being able to give Kirby Sephiroth's hair would be kind of great

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    With Piranha Plant releasing Feb they can release one character every two months to last them the whole year. And then next years game awards announce season 2.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Square Enix couldn't be arsed to allow Sakurai to use more than two Final Fantasy songs in the game, and as far as I know, there's not a single SE spirit, out of well over 1000. There's not gonna be a Square Enix DLC character.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Maz- wrote: »
    Square Enix couldn't be arsed to allow Sakurai to use more than two Final Fantasy songs in the game, and as far as I know, there's not a single SE spirit, out of well over 1000. There's not gonna be a Square Enix DLC character.
    Wouldn't surprise me.

Of the third parties Nintendo has gotten to work with them in including fighters, SE definitely seemed to be the weirdest and most strict/no fun allowed about it.

Capcom and Konami just seem like they said "go wild!" and handed them the keys to Mega Man and Castlevania.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I fully expect the DLC fighters to be 5 pokemon. One of them will be Detective Pikachu. Complete with Ryan Reynolds voice. ... That would be pretty rad actually.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I fully expect the DLC fighters to be 5 pokemon. One of them will be Detective Pikachu. Complete with Ryan Reynolds voice. ... That would be pretty rad actually.
    Also Detective Raichu voiced by Danny Devito.

• Options

One will deffo be a gen 8(?) starter.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    what if they actually did an Undertale character, think about it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    what if they actually did an Undertale character, think about it

It honestly wouldn't surprise me, especially given how popular the game is in Japan.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
This discussion has been closed.