As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] We are that guy. He is us.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I don't think this problem is as bad as it's being made out to be. There isn't a lot required as far as books needed to play this game and if someone has friends they can share core rulebook/chapter approved stuff.

The chaos stuff is absolutely a shit show though.

Hasn't GW been working on an army list builder for like ever now?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    It's pretty bad? If I want to run a fairly standard Aeldari tournament list I need six books and six different FAQs. That's quite a lot to be carrying around!

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I don't think it's that overblown. I like that they're updating things more often, but I think they may have lost control of the wagon on that front, or at best it's become needlessly unwieldy.

It was before that you needed the core rules, your army's codex, and the latest FAQ. The problem with that system was that nothing changed, everything was stagnant and it wasn't great.

Now, there's quite a few books required to play the game, sometimes more than 2 or 3 books required to play a faction. You have to have the core book (I have friends who play and we don't share books because when you want to look something up when you're not together, somebody doesn't have the book), you have to have a codex for the faction you want. Fine, great, that's what I signed up for being interested in this game. But, if you want the most current rules so you can keep up with stuff, you need the latest Chapter Approved. THEN, if you want to have all of the options available to your faction so you can use old models, or model old loadouts with new models, you need the index book(s), you need that White Dwarf article or minidex for neat things that are probably more interesting that you're currently running, and you need the latest FAQ with points changes and further rules updates.

It's pretty bad. I'm not sure if 40k has digital editions that update automatically with new info, but if they don't, they should jump on that fucking train real quick if they want my money.

Like, 30k has a shit ton of books for it, but they're arranged in such a way that doesn't make it seem overwhelming, especially the digital editions that update to include the new stuff and FAQ rulings. For Heresy gaming you need the new core rules, the army list for your chosen faction (Astartes/Human Cannon Fodder/Mechanicum), and then if you chose Astartes, you need the Legion List book for your Legion rules. If you want a bunch of rad fluff and immediate rules for whatever the new hotness is, you buy one of the 8 black books that have come out because they're stylish af and have a bunch of scenarios, background, and stories.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Burnage wrote: »
    An official version of Battlescribe is the most obvious fucking thing that GW could be doing and I don't understand why they aren't. If they're nervous about losing out on the income from buying books, just make it a subscription based service or something.

Make it so that you just have to look at a rules document and then the army list document, not this current clusterfuck of rules + Codexes + White Dwarf + campaign supplements + Chapter Approved + FAQs.

They do this already with AoS. Why they don't with 40k is fucking mind boggling.

Edit: One thing is supposedly the electronic versions due update with points, rules, and FAQ changes.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It's pretty bad? If I want to run a fairly standard Aeldari tournament list I need six books and six different FAQs. That's quite a lot to be carrying around!

This is why I was kind of surprised when they released the Craftworld book kind of half assed in certain things looking at you autarch. Why they didn't do it as a 4 part book with all the flavors under one roof is kind of curious. I know there are a number of people who only play one of them or it's a 2nd or worse army for them. Still I feel it would have served a balance if they delayed it a few so not having the typos and taking the time to balance the Ynnari would have helped

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    An official version of Battlescribe is the most obvious fucking thing that GW could be doing and I don't understand why they aren't. If they're nervous about losing out on the income from buying books, just make it a subscription based service or something.

Make it so that you just have to look at a rules document and then the army list document, not this current clusterfuck of rules + Codexes + White Dwarf + campaign supplements + Chapter Approved + FAQs.

They do this already with AoS. Why they don't with 40k is fucking mind boggling.

Edit: One thing is supposedly the electronic versions due update with points, rules, and FAQ changes.

It continuously baffles me how GW can get so much right with AoS and still get so much wrong with 40k.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    Wasn't that errata'd to only allow you to refund one CP per turn?

For that one I think it is like guard, you roll for each command point. But you at max are refunded 1 per battle round. You just have a better chance of getting the refund. During an average 5 round game you will get at most 5 CP back. More likely 2-3 CP depending on rolls.

Still good not crazy like it use to be.

On the CSM stuff, the detachment stuff being in the Vigilus book is fine. I should be there, its special stuff that is optional. The new BL and Renegade traits should be in 2.0 and I think the electronic versions were suppose to be updated as well. Also they should of put shadowspear in vigilus instead of termis. You know the unchanged termi card.

But outside that CSM are actually really exciting right now. And if I wasn't so committed to my Deathwatch/Ad Mech for NoVA I would be looking at building a monster mash army or a possessed Abbadon army.

So even if the rule for rolling to get CP back says all the points are refunded only one is returned?

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

For that one I think it is like guard, you roll for each command point. But you at max are refunded 1 per battle round. You just have a better chance of getting the refund. During an average 5 round game you will get at most 5 CP back. More likely 2-3 CP depending on rolls.

On the CSM stuff, the detachment stuff being in the Vigilus book is fine. I should be there, its special stuff that is optional. The new BL and Renegade traits should be in 2.0 and I think the electronic versions were suppose to be updated as well. Also they should of put shadowspear in vigilus instead of termis. You know the unchanged termi card.

But outside that CSM are actually really exciting right now. And if I wasn't so committed to my Deathwatch/Ad Mech for NoVA I would be looking at building a monster mash army or a possessed Abbadon army.

So even if the rule for rolling to get CP back says all the points are refunded only one is returned?

correct

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

correct

There are three exceptions (because of course there are) - Moment Shackle, Seven-fold Chant and Player of the Twilight can all grant more than one command point a round.

• Options

correct

There are three exceptions (because of course there are) - Moment Shackle, Seven-fold Chant and Player of the Twilight can all grant more than one command point a round.

Seven-fold Chant is the one I was curious about. My brother has been considering using a Tallyman for his DG army.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    On the multiple books side, I do not have the money to purchase models and books at the rate they are coming out. If I have to choose, I'll always choose the models.

So I don't have, nor do I intend to purchase, either Vigilus book. I only buy the codeci and the Chapter Approved every year.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    You don't need the Vigilus books unless you plan on running a campaign or are playing Chaos.

As far as my Space Wolves and Necrons go I've only bought the codex, rulebook, and chapter approved. I haven't needed to make any other book purchases.

• Options
    The Vigilus defiant book had the Siam Hann Jet bike rules {I think they are also in the chapter approved but I have not bought it} I only bought it for the lore pretty much

A similar question The NEW necromunda rule book is the same that came in the game or updated? I know the gangwar book is the amalgamation of the 4 and other things. I have not bought either since I felt burned over gang war 2
    But it was playing Kill team we got that itch to play it again

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The new Necromunda books are compiled and re-edited with FAQ stuff rolled in (leap actually makes sense now) to the core rules. So the new rule book includes both the 2D and 3D movement rules and the big Gang War book has all six gangs, the bounty hunters, the hangers-on, brutes, pets, etc.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    I bought Vigilus Ablaze because my general rule is if I am going to use the rules in my army I will buy the book. Same with my codexes. But I don't but more than that. I still need to buy the Ad Mech codex officially.

For the models I have to focus on Ad Mech/DW right now anyway. Once they are finished it will be back to a lot of chaos.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Vigilus Defiant has space marine formations that people keep telling me I should use. But I don't feel comfortable doing that without buying the book.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

correct

oh they did make an exception for moment shackle?

thank god

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    The new Necromunda books are compiled and re-edited with FAQ stuff rolled in (leap actually makes sense now) to the core rules. So the new rule book includes both the 2D and 3D movement rules and the big Gang War book has all six gangs, the bounty hunters, the hangers-on, brutes, pets, etc.

The other thing that popped up there is no servo claw on the van saar spure?

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    There are many Necromunda weapon options that are not on the sprue.
    I think the FW packs cover them all tho

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Dayspring wrote: »

I know as there are bits and pieces of the escher ones I would like but like my brother said I feel we are being pushed to buy more than one copy of a gang this time

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Vigilus Defiant has space marine formations that people keep telling me I should use. But I don't feel comfortable doing that without buying the book.

Why not? Gatekeeping yourself out of a formation because you haven't spent $50 is wild to me.

I pirate every 40K book and I don't care. I'm not interested in spending hundreds of dollars on books that are invalidated immediately after release (and in some cases before they're even released). If you play Space Marines (who aren't even a terribly extravagant army), and you want to keep current on all new rules updates since the start of 8th edition buying a rulebook, an Index, a Codex, two Chapter Approved releases, and now two Vigilus books is nuts. That's hundreds of dollars worth of materials that will be outdated as soon as the next FAQ hits, money you could have spent on models or paint.

Battlescribe isn't perfect, but it's free, and it updates extremely quickly whenever new rules are released. As far as I am concerned the only use for $50 or $60 books at this point is for art, lore, and missions (the type of things that do not become invalidated over time). If you are using books for rules there are better alternatives out there.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    The number of books needed was a thing brought up during 7th edition, and GW even commented on it.

It seems strange that it’s gotten “out of hand” for some factions as quick as it has. It is needlessly complicated to build lists in comparison to having something like BattleScribe sort it out for you.

The ultimate answer would probably be to stop soup lists so you don’t have armies with multiple books, but it’s too late for that now.

I got the Space Marine half of Shadowspear but I’m not buying any books until they consolidate this nonsense.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Dayspring wrote: »

I know as there are bits and pieces of the escher ones I would like but like my brother said I feel we are being pushed to buy more than one copy of a gang this time

Van Saar and Goliath can be quite low model count, but a lot of the other gangs can put more than 10 bodies on the field even disregarding weapon choice

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I was pretty psyched when I realized my Tallyman could get back more than 1 CP.

It didn't matter, though, he only succeeded on the 1 CP ones.
    :(.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    I have been reading my Vigilus Ablaze so far the highlights and things I noticed:
    -Calgar getting his throat cut and a heart cut out by a Keeper of Secrets, doesn't kill him though.
    -The Night Lords only have a small band because the legion itself is currently attacking Craftworld Ulthwe
    -The Mechanicus tricking the patriarch of the Cult of the Pauper Princes into an ambush and frying him with Eradication Beams from Onagers that have their feet magnetized to buildings
    -The nobles being so petty and hording so much it summons the Flawless Host which in turn summon daemonettes kill all the nobles and turn the peons into cultist
    -Ultramarines just now write off cities hit by Nurgle plagues as complete losses
    -The Iron Warriors beat the shit out of the Imperial Fist using cultist as feints
    -Vigilus still exist because it has the same blackstone/spires that Cadia had and Abbadon wants to use it to send the warp towards Terra. If it falls the corridor shuts as the spires go bye bye

I am not done yet but a lot of it has been good. And also mostly CSM just outflanking, out thinking, and just beating the shit out of the Imperium even with Calgarar, Kanto, and like another half dozen chapter masters fighting them.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Working on my second set of Primaris models from Shadowspear. I really like how these models look but I'm gonna have to spend so much time wolfing them up so they fit the Space Wolves look.

I need to do it to all my Primaris actually.

I have like 12 to 13 thousand points in Space Wolves and 4200 of it is Primaris.

I also have 9000 points of Necrons.

I really need to find a better way to sort this stuff.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    That sounds like some grade-A heresy right there guardsman. If the Commissar were to hear you he'd have you beaten, shot, and reprimanded. In that order. My understanding is that there may or may not be heretical astartes attacks, but they are small, ineffective, and really nothing to get worked up over.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I forgot to get the flying base things from the trade I did today for the Space Marines from shadowspear. It is a good thing I have a bunch from my T'au kill team but I gotta mount them on cork so they don't fall over. Guess I'm gonna use cork to base them later.

Slightly annoyed by the cork but whatever.

3Lysi8W.jpg
    qnggThg.jpg

Stragint on

• Options
    Hmm. FLGS is doing a low points level tournament soon with a mono-Codex restriction. I really want to bust out my Harlequins but I'm super skeptical that they actually work by themselves at all, let alone at <1000 points.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Hmm. FLGS is doing a low points level tournament soon with a mono-Codex restriction. I really want to bust out my Harlequins but I'm super skeptical that they actually work by themselves at all, let alone at <1000 points.

Harlequins would work great in mono 1k. Take maximum skyweavers with haywire, take the psyker and you can turn one charge anyone with a unit that can clear screens, mortal wound the crap out of vehicles and once in combat are these 3+++ -1 to hit 3 wound dudes who are oddly tanky.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    So reading reddit someone mentioned Chaos termis got cheaper. And I was like what? I hadn't looked at their points in my Vigilius Ablaze book. They did, 2 points a model. Going from 28 to 26 points base. Still more expensive than loyalist who are 23.

But at with a cheap loadout you can actually do work with the bolter discipline rule.

5 termis with power swords/mauls is 160 points, 165 if you bring axes. That is 20 bolter shots where you want it when you want it with in 24". And not terrible close combat ability either. Makes a rather cheap okay bodyguard for Abbadon as well.

Edit: I forgot you get chain axes now.

145 points for 5 with combi-bolters and chain axes.

Wow, that is, hmmm.....

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Yeah, c-bolters ad chainaxes actually might make them a viable heavy-infantry brawler unit. At 29pts, they're not too bad and can still bully like mofos. Drop em down in cover and just be a thorn for the entire game.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    You just need to get 4 axes fom somewhere else to convert them, becaue Chaos Termies only get 2 sprues for the price of 3.

edit: I repeat myself and should shut probably up about that. Sorry.

honovere on
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »
    You just need to get 4 axes fom somewhere else to convert them, becaue Chaos Termies only get 2 sprues for the price of 3.

edit: I repeat myself and should shut probably up about that. Sorry.

I have been playing Chaos for so long it doesn't surprise me. Opening a normal tac box for my possessed conversions was eye opening on how much was in there verse a CSM box.

All the combi weapons, full set of heavy choices and not just a single heavy bolter, special weapons. It was mind blowing.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I think I'm going to assemble some more SM terminators and just make the worst list ever. It will be so much fun if anything at all goes right. Lol

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    A combined force of nothing but CSM, Nurgle, Tzeentch (and maybe someday Khorne and Slannesh) Terminators sounds intriguing.

honovere on
  • Options
    Norgoth wrote: »

Harlequins would work great in mono 1k. Take maximum skyweavers with haywire, take the psyker and you can turn one charge anyone with a unit that can clear screens, mortal wound the crap out of vehicles and once in combat are these 3+++ -1 to hit 3 wound dudes who are oddly tanky.

Yeah, that's fair. I think I'm just so used to relying on a small Craftworld detachment to make the rest of my list work that it feels entirely out of my comfort zone to not be able to run it. Doom/Jinx is a hell of a crutch.

• Options
    I'm also still waiting for proper Primaris Terminators. Gravis armour doesn't really do it for me. The closest sizewise are probably Custodes Terminators, but their proprtions seem so weird.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm also still waiting for proper Primaris Terminators. Gravis armour doesn't really do it for me. The closest sizewise are probably Custodes Terminators, but their proprtions seem so weird.

I thought Aggressors were supposed to be the Primaris Terminator?

• Options

I thought Aggressors were supposed to be the Primaris Terminator?

The look just isn't to my taste. They miss the bulk of the hunch/cowl, the have that belly, the double powerfist pluas attached guns are too big, etc. Also no 2+ armour save.

This discussion has been closed.