As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] We are that guy. He is us.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I'm making a Necron list to fight my friends Custodes. Which would be stronger against them, Gauss Blaster which hits on 3+ and wounds on 5+ with ap -2 and 1 damage or Tesla Carbine which hits on 3+ and wounds on 5+ with no ap - and 1 damage?

I could get the Tesla Carbine to get the extra shots on a 4+ and missing on 1s in general.

I can't decide.
    Custodes are T6?

What's their invuln?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I'm making a Necron list to fight my friends Custodes. Which would be stronger against them, Gauss Blaster which hits on 3+ and wounds on 5+ with ap -2 and 1 damage or Tesla Carbine which hits on 3+ and wounds on 5+ with no ap - and 1 damage?

I could get the Tesla Carbine to get the extra shots on a 4+ and missing on 1s in general.

I can't decide.
    Custodes are T6?

What's their invuln?

Normally 4++, but it's pretty easy for some of their units to get to 3++ because Custodes are jerks.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    Normally 4++, but it's pretty easy for some of their units to get to 3++ because Custodes are jerks.

Hah, of course.

If they can consistently get 3++, Tesla's probably better due to sheer volume of shots. I'm just surprised they're also T6 (unless we're just talking about the bikes, which yeah, makes sense).

Also feels like you'd want Imotekh / Transcendant C'tans.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Bizazedo wrote: »

I can't decide.
    Custodes are T6?

What's their invuln?

The jetbikes are T6 and he runs 9 of those and a shield captain on a bike and then he has 6 T5 Allarus Custodians and then Trajann and another shield captain on foot. Normal save is 2+ and invul is 4+ for all of them.

Edit: what he does is sets up with all the jet bikes on the field and then turn 2 he deepstrikes the walking units into the back line.

Last time we played I setup like a doofus with my Space Wolves had had to sit a squad of Thunderwolves in the back of my deployment to stop his deep strike behind me when I could have setup an empty Repulsor and used the Intercessors to stop it.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    10 bikes, geez.

How many points? Assume 2k?

I've never taken on Custodes, so, I have no idea

Imotekh, Transcendant C'tans, Wraiths Wraiths Wraiths imo. See how he appreciates 3++s :). And a shit-ton of Scarabs to surround and tarpit. I saw someone once use a ton of scarabs to be annoying to Knights, be annoying to his bikes.

But for the Immortal question....like I said, no idea, but if you're bringing minimum sized Immortal squads, Tesla, especially if you think he'll consistently be 3++. They're STR 5 and will at least wound on 4s against the foot guys. It'll also mean you don't have to get to half range and get charged easily by foot dudes as when you used Gauss.

I don't think it'll matter, though, as they're not really what you'd need to win.

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Also custodes hate mortal wounds even with that 6+++ FNP. Their saves are so good.

• Options
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Also custodes hate mortal wounds even with that 6+++ FNP. Their saves are so good.

Luckily that FNP is only on mortal wounds during the psychic phase.

This is where I'm at so far with my Necron list. Still have points to fill just not sure how.
    ++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Necrons) [57 PL, 1005pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Dynasty Choice: Dynasty: Sautekh

+ HQ +

Cryptek [5 PL, 95pts]: Chronometron, Staff of Light

Imotekh the Stormlord [10 PL, 160pts]
    . Warlord: Warlord Trait (Sautekh): Hyperlogical Strategist

+ Troops +

Immortals [8 PL, 150pts]: 10x Immortal, Tesla Carbine

+ Fast Attack +

Destroyers [18 PL, 300pts]
    . 5x Destroyer: 5x Gauss Cannon
    . Heavy Destroyer: Heavy Gauss Cannon

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Necrons) [49 PL, 870pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Dynasty Choice: Dynasty: Novokh

+ HQ +

Destroyer Lord [7 PL, 129pts]: Artefact (Novokh): The Blood Scythe, Phylactery, Warscythe

+ Fast Attack +

Canoptek Scarabs [6 PL, 117pts]: 9x Canoptek Scarab Swarm

Canoptek Wraiths [18 PL, 312pts]
    . 6x Canoptek Wraith (Particle Caster): 6x Particle Caster

Canoptek Wraiths [18 PL, 312pts]
    . 6x Canoptek Wraith (Particle Caster): 6x Particle Caster

++ Total: [106 PL, 1875pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Yeah, that's the best trick I've found for dealing with pure Custodes. Lots of mortal wounds, or alternatively high volumes of -1 or 2 AP fire.

If they get allied with Guard they become absolutely horrendous to play against, but, well, that's pretty much par for the course in this edition of 40K.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

Yeah, that's the best trick I've found for dealing with pure Custodes. Lots of mortal wounds, or alternatively high volumes of -1 or 2 AP fire.

If they get allied with Guard they become absolutely horrendous to play against, but, well, that's pretty much par for the course in this edition of 40K.

He has all the models for a loyal 32, he just hadn't built them yet.

I imagine much frustration coming up.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I imagine a squad of destroyers with elimination protocols will do a fair bit of damage to bikes.

• Options
    I want to take 2 squads of 5 Destroyers and a heavy destroyer so 10 destroyers and 2 heavy but I can't really fit them in.

Destroyers are definitely some of my favorite Necron units though. So strong.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    a unit of 5 destroyers using extermination protocols kills 2 praetors a round

or 3 custodian guards

extermination protocols is massively broken at 1 cp

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

or 3 custodian guards

It is very cheap for what it does. I was surprised it wasn't changed in the big FAQ.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I can't decide.

You are going to find out how tough the custodes are

One squad of wardens took down the monolith and held at bay several warriors killing the Lychguard squad like they were made of paper

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

or 3 custodian guards

It is very cheap for what it does. I was surprised it wasn't changed in the big FAQ.

necrons, despite being a very balanced codex, are in a bad place competitively

like, the codex is good and the army should be good, but other armies are just better

• Options
    edited February 2019
    As a mondex i bet necrons are better than space marines. In tournaments almost no one runs mono space marines unless it's built around guilliman.

Few top things are run as mono dex.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    As a mondex i bet necrons are better than space marines. In tournaments almost no one runs mono space marines unless it's built around guilliman.

tau and that's pretty much it

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Ta'u and probably Orks are the closest.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I feel like running a battalion is holding back what I can do with my Necrons against Custodes because I'm forced to run at least 3 troop choices. I might try two Outrider detachments filled with wraiths, destroyers, and scarabs.

Does anyone know of a good bits site? I plan on running a rusty 17 with my Wolves but I need 4 more of the AdMech sniper rifles and I only found 1 on ebay for $13 after S&H.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    So I have spent the better part of this week working on and finish my captain.

I used the primaris captain model but gave him a thunder hammer and storm shield and jetpack and will be running him as a slam captain. I play mono Blood Angels anyhow.

O6bKA13h.jpg
    wa9INpRh.jpg
    ca72Ac2h.jpg
    qHIBcwah.jpg

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    New models (from a new GW board game)
    NYToyFair-Feb15-CombatArenaMinis3oejvf.jpg
    NYToyFair-Feb15-CombatArenaMinis1ejv.jpg

More, too, on the community site.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Love 'em all. Especially the pirate looking lady

They're also going to be in an expansion set for Blackstone fortress, according to the article.

There a few rumour engine previews solved by that box.

honovere on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Talisman is fucking awful, so it's going to be a question of whether I buy the game just for the minis.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Talisman is fucking awful, so it's going to be a question of whether I buy the game just for the minis.

Is it Talisman? If so, they gave it a new name, at least.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET5xgdLVnAI

Is that a primaris devastator?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Maybe!

They'll probably have a name like 'inflectors' or something, though

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    As a primaris only player at this point, I'll be ordering Shadowspear to get first taste of the new primaris goodies.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Or maybe they'll call them interceptors just to drive everyone insane

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    My deathwatch army is shaping up to look like mostly primaris (aside from some niches that a couple of vet kill teams provide), so I'm pumped for this

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

The board looks nothing like talisman. It looks more like that khorne gladiator combat game

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Is it Talisman? If so, they gave it a new name, at least.

Wait, no. Those minis are from a different new boardgame. They did announce a 40k talisman under a different title but now I can't find it.

I wonder if GW is over targeting board games. We picked up several because they were new, unique, and GW historically had limited runs on them. The minis were cool.

Now, though, they're releasing standalone board games at a huge clip. They might be fine since the boardgame market is huge, but I have to think they will over saturate soon.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Relic is 40k Talisman. Wizkids is remaking it.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Played a 1k match against a friend's Necrons so I could proxy some GSC/nids stuff and he could practice his new army for a club tourney this month.

Him: couple of lords, two small immortal squads, bigger blob of warriors, 5x tomb blades, annihilation barge and doomsday ark

Me: three neophyte squads, magus, acolyte iconward, 15x purestrains, Tyranid prime, 5x biovores split between 2 squads, dakkafex.

Played a mission from CA 2018. Three obj markers on the board, one centre and the others in deployment zones. 1pt for yours, 2 for center, 3 for your opponents.

Rounds one he went first and half my army was underground. He didn't have much to shoot at, and plonked away at my vores a bit. My vores returned fire and dumped some mortal wounds on his ark. My sole aboveground neophyte squad held my objective and the dakkafex rushed to mid to cap the middle objective.

Rounds two he killed a couple vores and put a couple wounds on the dakkafex. The cult arose from the deep, seizing his objective after using the perfect ambush strat to get the purestrains into comfy charge range of the immortal unit babysitting his objective. The magus mind controlled the ark, leading to some amusing gunfire as it shot his barge. The barge was then polished off by concentrated autogun and mining laser fire. All three objectives netted me 6pts. Some spore mines killed a unit of immortals with some lucky mortal wounds rolls.

Turn three he had to split his forces and started deleting cult units. I didn't do a whole lot in return other than soak 4 more points.

Turn four and five was largely him polishing me off model-wise. He tabled me, I only killed two immortal squads and the barge, but dropping into objectives meant I still won 17-12. If the game had continued another round he would have pulled six pts and beat me, but I got lucky with the turn roll.

GSC has some pretty awesome synergies with auras, stratagems, rules etc. I'm excited to dig a bit deeper into the codex and grab some of the new units

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    My deathwatch army is shaping up to look like mostly primaris (aside from some niches that a couple of vet kill teams provide), so I'm pumped for this

Mine has two mixed intercessor squads and a mix of vets. Also the apothecary and libby and a repulsor. Deathwatch let's me play marines as flexible and powerful. Even old marines. It's the best.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

The board looks nothing like talisman. It looks more like that khorne gladiator combat game

It literally looks like a reskinned Gorechosen, which has me excited because Gorechosen is a ton of fun.

Gorechosen had rules for the four models in the box as well as for four additional models, and rules for two more in a later White Dwarf, if it keeps the theme I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Blackstone Fortress models were playable out of the box.

• Options

Part of me wants to build a deathwatch army but I have the old ordo xenos kill team deathwatch kit i did nothing with. But with how primaris prices on ebay go up and down with each new game i am wary because i still have a bunch to still paint

• Options
    Deathwatch is cool. It is cool to be able to bubblewrap your aggressors in intercessors

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I need a bit of clarification.

For models like my stormfang that had two twin heavy bolters and two lascannons, I can shoot for each of those, right? Or firing both of a predator tanks sponsons? Tomb blade with two Gauss blasters.

Typing it out I feel like I shoot both but I want to be entirely sure.

• Options
    Deathwatch is cool. It is cool to be able to bubblewrap your aggressors in intercessors

I do that with my black templars but i instead of using intercedsors just generic crusader squads

• Options
    I need a bit of clarification.

For models like my stormfang that had two twin heavy bolters and two lascannons, I can shoot for each of those, right? Or firing both of a predator tanks sponsons? Tomb blade with two Gauss blasters.

Typing it out I feel like I shoot both but I want to be entirely sure.

Models may fire all weapons they have, except grenades and pistols, where you either choose to use your grenade/pistol, or everything else.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.