As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] We are that guy. He is us.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I can see it and like it as the Tau version of a self propelled long range artillery piece, but it access to a giant shotgun, right? Gets a bit absurd at that point to be open topped.

It’s got the shotgun or a doom laser.

The open topped thing is weird. It’s especially odd because it’s the reason the stormsurge is a vehicle and not a battlesuit.

Apparently battlesuits are driven via a neurolink, which is why something like a riptide is a monster and not a vehicle (because the pilot IS the suit I guess).

Of course if the stormsurge were a battlesuit it would be fucking obnoxious.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I'm really hoping the Series 2 models come to the US soon. GW said they were heading our way but didn't give a timetable.

All I want in my life is more cool looking Terminators. I'm tempted to order the box kit with the Terminator Standard Bearer and paints since it's not that bad of a deal, but I think it would take a month or so to get here from Hong Kong so I am hesitant.

With the gardening video they posted I feel they got caught in the trade war

Brexit, if they're ready to ship around now then the timelines more or less match up with the issues covering country of origin rules regarding shipping around the original March date for Brexit. So they wouldn't have known which country/customs region the boat would need to come back to (an EU country or entirely separate Britain), and would have had the same problem again with shipping anything out to the states etc.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    I can see it and like it as the Tau version of a self propelled long range artillery piece, but it access to a giant shotgun, right? Gets a bit absurd at that point to be open topped.

The open topped thing is weird. It’s especially odd because it’s the reason the stormsurge is a vehicle and not a battlesuit.

Apparently battlesuits are driven via a neurolink, which is why something like a riptide is a monster and not a vehicle (because the pilot IS the suit I guess).

This is one of the things that always throws me when playing against Tau - I can never figure out which of their units is a vehicle or not. Kind of makes an important difference when half the weaponry in the DE arsenal interacts with vehicles in very specific ways.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    It's not really too bad, all the humanoid suits are either <Battlesuit> <Infantry> or <Battlesuit> <Monster> and all the floating vehicle looking things are <Vehicle>, this model in question, the Stormsurge, is the only exception to that general rule I believe. Maybe the big Forgeworld triple cannon one too?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    I'm really hoping the Series 2 models come to the US soon. GW said they were heading our way but didn't give a timetable.

All I want in my life is more cool looking Terminators. I'm tempted to order the box kit with the Terminator Standard Bearer and paints since it's not that bad of a deal, but I think it would take a month or so to get here from Hong Kong so I am hesitant.

With the gardening video they posted I feel they got caught in the trade war

Brexit, if they're ready to ship around now then the timelines more or less match up with the issues covering country of origin rules regarding shipping around the original March date for Brexit. So they wouldn't have known which country/customs region the boat would need to come back to (an EU country or entirely separate Britain), and would have had the same problem again with shipping anything out to the states etc.

Brexit and the US war on trade with China shows how throwing around your weight in the enterprise of trade can have huge consequences.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

This is one of the things that always throws me when playing against Tau - I can never figure out which of their units is a vehicle or not. Kind of makes an important difference when half the weaponry in the DE arsenal interacts with vehicles in very specific ways.

I have a "tau" army I have collected/ended up with over the years. It's basically a bunch of XV8 suits some devilfish and hammerheads with firewarriors and kroot

I just have never had an idea what to do with it. It's down there in interest of painting and ever lower in playing. I really have only fought 2 tau armies in the entire time I have played 40k and I had no idea about them
    I kind of want to do the Farsight since they are a forgotten outsider of a force

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Cross posting my knight I finished last week.
    pdPIwGR.jpg
    PCo6PxK.jpg
    MQKjWWJ.jpg
    SOyeewp.jpg

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm ordering a set of the imperial assassins on commission. So far Frontline has given me the best price quote, while Siege Studios was WAY out of my price range (though they do beautiful work). Anyone else used any of the big commission painters and have good/bad things to say about them?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

Easiest way to remeber it is based on model size

Stealthsuits are- Battlesuit Infantry
    Crisis suits and broadsides- Battlesuit
    Riptides- Battlesuit Monster
    Stormsurge -Vehicle

Drones are neither vehicles, battlesuits or infantry. Everything else is what it looks like (hammerheads are vehicles and so on).

The important part for you is that unless they’re playing a stormsurge haywire dosn’t do anything against most Tau lists, but everything is poisoned on a 4+.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    There are a lot of good conversions using third party robot arms to give it the same silhouette as other Tau suits that greatly improve its look IMO.

Spoiled for image size, here's some examples from a quick google image search
    4rinsjqdwn4e.jpg
    o0396kgbqtzs.jpg
    gk884m03pqf9.jpg
    xbtzr6xlfs86.jpg
    8qhqdvhymtfd.jpg

I also stumbled across this spiky boy:
    go5qhwg647m7.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    uvadgo2onydg.png
    Bandai and GW team up
    The kit is 1/12 scale so if it's like the Star Wars clone/storm/first order ones you can build it and pose it as you wish

They also are bring out Chibi figures
    1t545k63wcj0.png

• Options
    That big Space Marine might be a fun kit to build and paint.

That chibi Assassin is more cute than it has any right to be.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I want the chibi mechanicus ranger.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    How many weird looks would I get if I brought that Space Marine action figure to a tournament and said it was a proxy for a Knight?

My pre-planned explanation would be "Come onnnnn, it's a GW model! (Technically)"

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I really want to know how thy are going to articulate the shoulder pads because that either means interchangeable shoulders or some level of mechanical genius…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Oh, the space marine comes already painted and assembled. I thought maybe it would be like a Gundam kit. Still, as a self avowed Primaris lover, I'll definitely get one for my desk at work. He can stand next to my Ultarmarine Intercessor Funko.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Oh, the space marine comes already painted and assembled. I thought maybe it would be like a Gundam kit. Still, as a self avowed Primaris lover, I'll definitely get one for my desk at work. He can stand next to my Ultarmarine Intercessor Funko.

No it's like the bandai star wars kits
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owxwNgXGZhc

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    And I just went from vaguely interested to “take my money”…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Oh man i need that Inquisitor and ranger

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The press release from Bandai says that the Space Marine is:
    WARHAMMER 40,000 Space Marine Action figure is the first ever Warhammer action figure. It
    is a 7-inch painted action figure with several points of articulation, exchangeable weapons and
    parts. The first series in this product line will be based on Space Marines.
    "Painted action figure" does not sound like a model kit to me, but that's surprising coming from Bandai. I wonder if there's some miscommunication here, or if it really truly is a pre-assembled and pre-painted action figure.

If it's a kit, I'm very much on board, especially given the tantalizing hint that there may be later series that are not based on Space Marines (give me Tyranid model kits). If it's just an action figure, then that's really cool, but I'll probably pass - I have little enough space as it is, and I'd rather put it towards something more involved than an action figure.

• Options
    I feel it's like the Star Wars kits as they are semi in the color of the model and are easy builds. So it's going to be in a default blue ultramarine {boo hiss} color
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOnKPzHuAe4

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    The press release from Bandai says that the Space Marine is:
    WARHAMMER 40,000 Space Marine Action figure is the first ever Warhammer action figure. It
    is a 7-inch painted action figure with several points of articulation, exchangeable weapons and
    parts. The first series in this product line will be based on Space Marines.
    "Painted action figure" does not sound like a model kit to me, but that's surprising coming from Bandai. I wonder if there's some miscommunication here, or if it really truly is a pre-assembled and pre-painted action figure.

If it's a kit, I'm very much on board, especially given the tantalizing hint that there may be later series that are not based on Space Marines (give me Tyranid model kits). If it's just an action figure, then that's really cool, but I'll probably pass - I have little enough space as it is, and I'd rather put it towards something more involved than an action figure.

Bandai also releases very expensive action figures.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    I think I'm gonna go full lazy and not add any wolfy stuff to my basic Space Wolves models that look generic and just paint them in the colors.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna go full lazy and not add any wolfy stuff to my basic Space Wolves models that look generic and just paint them in the colors.

It's not a race just build the army to what you envision

• Options

I envision it as a tide of grey plastic.

• Options

Set goals, do things like listen to music or leave stuff on as background noise like movies while you paint. You will get it done faster than you think if you do these
    This is also true if you want to lose weight or lift weights or whatever

• Options
    So back to the debate about my kill team
    I have been well on a rollercoaster of stuff since I started it but I have only built 1lt, 3 reivers and two generic primaris
    q7apssix5ik2.jpg
    I have yet to give them the guts to the bolters as back to debating if I want to do my homebrew chapter
    Loyal Night lords Successor
    Or Mantis Warriors

Both have their positives for me as it's something different to paint and something different to play as I did give reasons for the spoiler one since it was a lore hole I fell in one weekend

• Options

Set goals, do things like listen to music or leave stuff on as background noise like movies while you paint. You will get it done faster than you think if you do these
    This is also true if you want to lose weight or lift weights or whatever

The goal is to just get this nonsense painted so I don't have to paint anymore. I'm still not really a fan of doing it and in just Primaris alone I have 4240 points with 2 magnetized Redemptor Dreadnoughts and 2 magnetized Repulsors. Before I even got these I have like 12000 points of Space Wolves models that are a majority unpainted. I don't really have enough wolfy bits to wolf up all those Primaris models. I am putting them on Pack Leaders and HQs for now.

All these damn Primaris.

I kind of want to bust out all of my Space Wolves stuff and try and see what I have again.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [229 PL, 4,240pts] ++

+ HQ +

Primaris Battle Leader [4 PL, 74pts]: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle

Primaris Battle Leader [4 PL, 75pts]
    . Power axe and bolt carbine: Power axe

Primaris Battle Leader [4 PL, 74pts]: Power sword

Primaris Rune Priest [7 PL, 108pts]: Psychic hood, Runic sword

Primaris Wolf Priest [6 PL, 80pts]

Rune Priest in Phobos Armour [6 PL, 111pts]: Camo cloak, Force sword

Rune Priest in Phobos Armour [6 PL, 111pts]: Camo cloak, Force sword

Wolf Guard Battle Leader in Phobos Armour [5 PL, 86pts]: Grav-chute, Master-crafted occulus bolt rifle

Wolf Guard Battle Leader in Phobos Armour [5 PL, 86pts]: Grav-chute, Master-crafted occulus bolt rifle

Wolf Lord in Gravis Armor [7 PL, 118pts]: Boltstorm gauntlet, Master-crafted power sword

Wolf Lord in Phobos Armour [6 PL, 119pts]: Camo cloak, Master-crafted instigator bolt carbine

Wolf Lord in Phobos Armour [6 PL, 119pts]: Camo cloak, Master-crafted instigator bolt carbine

+ Troops +

Infiltrator Squad [11 PL, 230pts]: 8x Infilltrator, Infiltrator Helix Adept, Infiltrator Sergeant

Infiltrator Squad [11 PL, 230pts]: 8x Infilltrator, Infiltrator Helix Adept, Infiltrator Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 179pts]: Bolt rifle
    . 9x Intercessor
    . Intercessor Pack Leader: Power fist

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 179pts]: Bolt rifle
    . 9x Intercessor
    . Intercessor Pack Leader: Power fist

+ Elites +

Aggressors [12 PL, 222pts]: 5x Aggressor, Aggressor Pack Leader
    . Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Primaris Ancient [5 PL, 69pts]

Redemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 160pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Redemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 160pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Reivers [5 PL, 110pts]: Combat knife, Grapnel Launcher, Grav Chutes
    . 4x Reiver
    . Reiver Pack Leader: Bolt carbine, Combat knife, Heavy Bolt Pistol

Reivers [5 PL, 110pts]: Bolt carbine, Grapnel Launcher, Grav Chutes
    . 4x Reiver
    . Reiver Pack Leader: Bolt carbine, Combat knife, Heavy Bolt Pistol

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [10 PL, 135pts]: Assault Bolter, 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant

Suppressor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]
    . 2x Suppressor: 2x Accelerator autocannon, 2x Grav-chute
    . Suppressor Sergeant: Accelerator autocannon, Grav-chute

Suppressor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]
    . 2x Suppressor: 2x Accelerator autocannon, 2x Grav-chute
    . Suppressor Sergeant: Accelerator autocannon, Grav-chute

+ Heavy Support +

Eliminator Squad [3 PL, 72pts]
    . 2x Eliminator: 2x Bolt sniper rifle, 2x Camo cloak
    . Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt sniper rifle, Camo cloak

Eliminator Squad [3 PL, 72pts]
    . 2x Eliminator: 2x Bolt sniper rifle, 2x Camo cloak
    . Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt sniper rifle, Camo cloak

Hellblaster Squad [16 PL, 335pts]: Plasma Incinerator
    . 9x Hellblaster
    . Hellblaster Pack Leader: Plasma pistol

+ Dedicated Transport +

Repulsor [16 PL, 303pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, 2x Storm Bolters, 2x Krakstrom Grenade Launcher, Las-talon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Storm bolter, Twin lascannon

Repulsor [16 PL, 303pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, 2x Storm Bolters, 2x Krakstrom Grenade Launcher, Las-talon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Storm bolter, Twin lascannon

++ Total: [229 PL, 4,240pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

• Options
    Really I hate to break it to you there is no end to painting once you have started
    It's either I can do my earlier models better or I will just get that to paint or maybe it's time for new squads or a new army

Set goals of I will do basic colors on two squads one week. do pack marking the next on one with touch ups on both and so on

You can wolf them up with runes painted on the armor or do what my brother did make strings of runes and talismans with green stuff

I really have not been able to paint because for the last month I was quite busy with work or sleeping {It doesn't help I just post via my phone} I really want to paint but I need to set aside an area for it and get a lamp I lost the clamp for my old one

• Options
    I'm moving tomorrow, I'm currently doing a bunch of last minute panicpacking and seeing just how much Warhammer stuff I have lying around that needs to be built from the start, finished being built, or be painted is an eye opening experience. So many halfway finished projects.

On Monday I will need to sit down and make a full inventory of everything I have for at least one army, and see how far along the line to completion everything is. Then maybe buy a bulletin board and make a colossal kanban or something.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I mean, 16,000 points of gray plastic to paint is...a lot. I can't imagine having that much to paint is helping the desire to do it. It just seems endless.

Some what related, I'm starting to look at a pure Ultramarines list that replaces my Castellin. I'm going to keep playing the Castellin list for now because, frankly, it still does work. A Castellin and G-Money in the same list is just a wrecking ball. Yeah, it's 1100 pts of the list...but it's 1100 points that does work. The Castaellin does Castellin things while G-Money walks up the board with Intercessors and Hellbalasters and dares you to stop him.

That said, I think I'm going to blow my hellbaster squad to 10, bring back my aggressors but bump them to a 6 man, bring in a repulsor (for the hellblasters) and a squad of eliminators. I'm also going to replace my captain in Gravis armor with a Smash Captain kitbashed up from an intecessor body, terminator storm shield and probably a deathwatch thunder hammer. I'll figure out something for the jump pack.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Well I quit for a time and got back into it about 2 years ago {it's been two years?} So I had stuff unpainted and unassembled so it's why I make fun of the fact it's easy to get into hard to get out of

• Options
    Well I quit for a time and got back into it about 2 years ago {it's been two years?} So I had stuff unpainted and unassembled so it's why I make fun of the fact it's easy to get into hard to get out of

Sorry that was more aimed at Stragint than you. 16000 points of models just seems like an unending task. I'm struggling to get 2000 + extras painted.

• Options
    It's the quick paint things they show on youtube I feel would have been a huge help back then
    They still are a huge help as do I really want to not batch paint termagants?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlkeURdZ8D8

I do want to get an airbrush for priming and large items but it's in the list of getting boxes/containers for the various armies and an area to paint in and a stand for my lamp

• Options
    The "Contrast" paints are looking like a bone colored spray primer that you follow with a single coat of Contrast paint, which acts as a combination basecoat/wash due to its altered viscosity.

The example models don't look amazing, but they're certainly serviceable. It really seems like the new paintline is designed explicitly to make it very quick and easy to get a model from gray plastic to standard tabletop quality.

I doubt it'll replace traditional painting for HQs or centerpiece models, but it should make those sessions where you have to batch paint 40 Boyz/Cadians/etc much easier. You can always highlight afterward as well.

• Options
    That's pretty much exactly what I expected it to be. Help players, especially new ones, get models on the table quicker, if a bit less pretty. Probably not something I'll use, but I like to see GW exploring ways to open up the hobby to more "medium effort" players. Right now 40K tends to be a very high effort hobby, and I think anything that gets gray plastic to painted table top miniature quicker, and gets them playing, is good.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Oh, uhm, hrmmm. That new mechanicus vehicle is certainly distinctive. Not what I expected.

I think I actually hate the tank version.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Sorry that was more aimed at Stragint than you. 16000 points of models just seems like an unending task. I'm struggling to get 2000 + extras painted.

Yeah, I think I've got about... maybe 5000 points of Eldar stuff overall, split across four factions? And after three or so years a good chunk of it is still unpainted. I'm also considering selling on part of it just because it never hits the tabletop and is taking up storage space (sorry Hellions, I love you really).

16000 sounds daunting as hell.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Oh, uhm, hrmmm. That new mechanicus vehicle is certainly distinctive. Not what I expected.

I think I actually hate the tank version.

Where are you seeing this?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options

Yeah, I think I've got about... maybe 5000 points of Eldar stuff overall, split across four factions? And after three or so years a good chunk of it is still unpainted. I'm also considering selling on part of it just because it never hits the tabletop and is taking up storage space (sorry Hellions, I love you really).

16000 sounds daunting as hell.

I’m that guy who paints everything he buys as he buys it so his army is always 100% painted.

I never used to be though!

This discussion has been closed.