As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] We are that guy. He is us.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Don’t be scared of faces; they’re a little detail that can bring you a lot of enjoyment.
    https://youtu.be/fd2Sc-C0jhA

I really should get some of the flesh paints since mine died in storage

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Peachy doesn't drill his barrels! Heresy!
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/09/road-to-apocalypse-peachys-genestealer-cults/
    It annoys me because the army looks so great otherwise.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »
    So second game of our clubs competetive leauge, I was looking for a win here after being smashed by Eldar.

I played 3 Knights (A crusader and whatever the Gatling cannon + chainsword dude is x2z Warden maybe?) house Taranis.
    Admech battalion rusty 17
    Guard battalion with 2 wyverns and a basilisk using the vigilus company.

I played my usual Tau list.

Started off poorly when my opponent seized, denying my the alpha strike. Luckily his shooting phase only killed a drone unit and put one riptide to 4 wounds.

My turn, he had handily come closer with two of his knights. I paid the CP for the riptide to fight at top bracket and opened fire. I killed one knight and put the second to two wounds remaining after a frankly ungodly amount of 6+++ saves. The knight that died exploded, prevent the taranis strategem.

In his turn he kills a riptide and some
    more drones, he starts chipping away at my warriors. He charges with his wounded knight, dying easily in overwatch. It too exploded, rolling a 2” blast and killing a total of one fire warrior because of it.

My turn two, and the second Kayoun of the game comes out, killing this third knight and almost all of his admech. I take out the basilisk. His knight manages to get back up this time.

His knight kills the stormsurge, but the game is over here. Whilst we are tied in primary I’m already on maximum secondary ITC points and he is out of heavy firepower. He kills some more warriors and drones but I spend the rest of he game erasing his forces with units he can’t touch, scoring max primary.

So 1-1 in the leauge now. Feeling fairly confident in the rest of the matchs. Astra with a single knight, necrons, Chaos Marines with a Spartan (???) and Chaos deamons. Deamons might be tricky with the plaugebearers but he has zero shooting so we’ll see how that pans out.

Not sure I like his choice of house Taranis, or the 2x Warden. The 3x Hawkshroud Crusader is eating up my local meta. It's almost as abusive as the single Castellan list was, in fairness at a higher point cost.

To be fair to him, it's extremely expensive to make changes to Knight armies as the meta evolves. It's likely 1x Crusader, 2x Warden is the models he had and is trying to make it work. Still think Hawkshroud is the play for houses right now though.

Nah, my friend has a lot of knights and they’re all magnetised, he even has all he forgeworld ones.

In the leauge players are allowed to change their list at the halfway point and he will be playing 3x Crusaders from then. I think the wardens were to have enough points for the artillery company.

I think the idea of Taranis over Hawkshroud is to allow for the knight ressurection strategem. It’s pretty oppressive if your opponents list struggles to kill knights.

The other big use of Taranis is to put Cawl's Wrath on a Castellan, if you find someone still playing one...*cries on his Castellan model*.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Went to the local Warhammer store today to grab their spray varnish and get some feedback on the models my little brother and his fiancée painted. I’ll post those later when I can crop the pictures. The other thing that happened was my sister was browsing for her next model (that she wants me to paint), and she picked the Masque of Slaanesh. Her previous choice was Harlequins. This progression seems ominous to say the least.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Went to the local Warhammer store today to grab their spray varnish and get some feedback on the models my little brother and his fiancée painted. I’ll post those later when I can crop the pictures. The other thing that happened was my sister was browsing for her next model (that she wants me to paint), and she picked the Masque of Slaanesh. Her previous choice was Harlequins. This progression seems ominous to say the least.

your sister either hates you or is very proud of your painting skills

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/08/battle-sister-bulletin-part-11-battle-sisters-ahoygw-homepage-post-2/

Preview of the squad kit.

I would still have preferred a less corset and boob look for the reboot, but that painted pic at the bottom sure looks nice

This is really tempting me to do flayed ones.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/08/battle-sister-bulletin-part-11-battle-sisters-ahoygw-homepage-post-2/

Preview of the squad kit.

I would still have preferred a less corset and boob look for the reboot, but that painted pic at the bottom sure looks nice

This is really tempting me to do flayed ones.

That sounds like something a serial killer would say.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    I feel my kill team needs some help as I don't know past this point what I want to do
    qgayatjkuomu.png
    h88r6radlu7p.png

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Brainleech, this is all just constructive criticism, so don't take this the wrong way because your model looks great already. Here are some tips if you really want to make it pop though.
    1. First there are a couple of places where it looks like you either missed a spot or the paint got chipped, so you may want to go back and do a touch-up there. If you meant to do that to show battle-damage, then I'd recommend using a different color than white: something unmistakable like brown or silver. I haven't personally tried that so you'll need to get a better tutorial elsewhere
    2. Your Kantor Blue looks a little splotchy, and I can't tell if that's because you did a big Nuln Oil wash or if you just didn't do enough coats. I do about 3 or more very thin coats for my base paints, but I use a big brush and I'm not too picky with staying inside the lines so it doesn't take me that long. If you did do a wash then I recommend going over that wash with either a drybrush of the original color or a wet brush of another very thin layer, being careful this time to avoid the recesses and shadowed parts.
    3. You may also want to try using the gloss versions of a those washes on armor like this
    4. If you haven't done a wash yet, I think this would be a good color scheme to try that oil wash technique you linked in the painting thread, but before you do that make sure you do everything else you want to since you'll be varnishing it.
    5. For the blue I can't quite tell if you did an edge highlight. It's a difficult technique that requires a moderate amount of brush control, but I recommend it for building your skill and confidence. How light you go is all dependent on your tastes, but I actually the brighter colors and larger contrast you get from following the GW color progressions.
    6. there is no step 6
    7. You just used leadbelcher for your metals right? I think it's fine for silver armor, but for gunmetal I prefer something darker. I like the new Iron Warriors basecoat and then an edge highlight of leadbelcher or ironbreaker going forward. For what you've got right now, that can all easily be fixed when you do that oil wash, or a wash of glossy nuln oil if you decide to go that route.
    8. For the leather belt and pouches I actually prefer the Contrast paints: I don't mind a splotchy look for leather. Undercoat in Wraithbone and paint in the contrast of your choice: I recommend either Gore-Gunta or Cygor.

Those are my suggestions. I'll also caveat those all with the fact that I'm far more interested in the hobby aspect of the game than in actually playing it, and I allow myself about a month per 10-man squad (though I'm hoping to really improve that in the near future). If you just wanted a little bit more for that model right now, I'd simply do a large glossy nuln-oil wash and the contrast brown for the leather pieces and call it a day.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Leadbelcher for guns is fine. But you need to use nuln oil on it afterwards. I use it for my weapons and it looks like how all my guns have looked and comes out clean.

I have been using snakebite leather for my contrast leather and I like it. Dark but not too dark. I can get it not too blotchy. At this point a lot of contrast work is actually just paying attention and making sure it doesn't pool too much. I also only use it on more detailed models as my marines have an old set color scheme.

Another thing is the eyes. Metal paint (leadbelcher/stormhost silver or similar)+spirit stone read works really well for quick lenses.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Leadbelcher for guns is fine. But you need to use nuln oil on it afterwards. I use it for my weapons and it looks like how all my guns have looked and comes out clean.

I have been using snakebite leather for my contrast leather and I like it. Dark but not too dark. I can get it not too blotchy. At this point a lot of contrast work is actually just paying attention and making sure it doesn't pool too much. I also only use it on more detailed models as my marines have an old set color scheme.

Another thing is the eyes. Metal paint (leadbelcher/stormhost silver or similar)+spirit stone read works really well for quick lenses.

Contrast works well on lenses too. Did some with the new contrast turquoise over stormhost silver and they look great.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Khraul wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Contrast works well on lenses too. Did some with the new contrast turquoise over stormhost silver and they look great.

The technical paints and contrast are really similar in how they work with metal bases. I do find the technical pains a little glossier though. And very few things can do with blood for the blood god can do. That paint is fun and dangerous.

u7stthr17eud.png
    It's night lords blue and I know it's thin in spots as I missed or something I don't know what to use as a highlight
    I have not used the wash as I was debating about getting some of the bronze colors. I was going to use aggaros dunes for the leather it blew up in the mail {see the painting thread} In the Harlequin book they do some of the pouches with mech grey-nuln oil-dawnstone-administrative grey which gives a worn black look
    I was debating about the eyes in either green or red

Basically this is my homebrew chapter of loyal primaris nightlords I am not doing the lighting bolts. Just I am debating about some of the icons since one stood out but it's for a different chapter

3r0ahjqpwh8m.png
    I feel I should have used that paper to work out all look of them instead of doing it live

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Slightly off topic but I gots to ask: Colin Furze, Mekboy or wot?
    Observe:
    https://youtu.be/s4QBhNkaAk8

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Apparently the staff and skull on the shell hump make the whole costume almost 10 feet tall. Crazy.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    You can see her face just barely under the shell. Also the little office-chair roller wheels that support the train/extra legs.
    Awesome costume, easily the best realized 40k one I've ever seen.

website_header.jpg
    It sucks having all these extra bits from the Lychguard and Immortal boxes and nothing to do with it.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

It sucks having all these extra bits from the Lychguard and Immortal boxes and nothing to do with it.

terrain! battlefields get dirty with craters, limbs and equipment so you can decorate your other army with bits of the leftovers get either some aquatic plants or the bracken set and deck it out

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Mummy... what happened to Santa?

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Brainleech wrote: »

terrain! battlefields get dirty with craters, limbs and equipment so you can decorate your other army with bits of the leftovers get either some aquatic plants or the bracken set and deck it out

I can see what I can work up. I could use them with my Space Wolves cracked ice bases. Still need to figure out the basing scheme for my Necrons.

I built the second box of Lychguard I had bought a while ago and equipped them with warscythes. Using my Pariahs to bring it to 10 Lychguard with warscythes and 10 with sword and shield.
    TCO6PBv.jpg

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Mummy... what happened to Santa?

He got some upgrades.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Hily shit, cawlsplay.

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    At ATC in Chattanooga. Just got wrecked so hard I feel it in my chest. 6-36.

uH3IcEi.png
    Put my doomsday ark from the Necron apoc box together. I put the Gauss flayers on upside down and realised it too late.

I never want to put another ark together.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Put my doomsday ark from the Necron apoc box together. I put the Gauss flayers on upside down and realised it too late.

I never want to put another ark together.

Just say it's due to the quirkiness of your overlord. He demanded it

It is taking a lot of willpower to not go buy imperial knights today.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    They are so cute at that size. And much more tempting than the 49k scale ones.

Are resurrection orbs ever worth it on overlords? Building the overlords from these catacomb command barges and I don't know if I want them with orbs or not.

I have a warhound from Titanicus I have been debating about magnetizing one of the arms so I can switch between double bolters and the other arms
    But that's a little much for a painting piece

Because it's been hot for the last couple of weeks I have been working on my tyranid army. Between the start collecting box the battleforce of old and the tyranid assault brood I have a ton of warriors

I got the assault brood as a prize long ago in the 40k league I was playing.
    s9w566kvrkiw.png

After the Xmas break when it came back sometime that early spring {late feb early march} There was two people who did friendly comments to being harassing that I had done nothing with the box at that time a few weeks after they started harassing me over that army I bought a deal on ebay of swarm of termagants. It was 3 boxes and a bag {I forgot what the bag held I think it was 20 to 24? I had let it slip I got that deal and they doubled down on what are you going to do with it? Huh huh? saying I could sell it to them.
    In the years that followed I realized one of the reasons that store was doing that buy in tourney was to move the old apoc stuff {this was 2009-2011}

One of the annoying things about the assault brood is it does a vague 32 gaunts on the box {16 Term 16 Hormo} I found in the battleforce the carnifex I built and metal tyrant. I want to do a custom head for my tyrant but it being metal makes this difficult

In building my gaunts I have a bag full of termagants the former bag where a chunk of the deal came from

I really am scared of priming all those gaunts as that's at least a can and I would have to scrounge for a couple of sticks to primer with
    I have been painting the warriors though but I feel that Kraken painting guide I found
    tlfmbtz6je00.jpg
    8xx9px9s1g6p.jpg
    gwk3csyk82gd.jpg
    wx09s350ixmf.jpg
    I know it's a little much for a termagant but I kind of want that look for the warriors

I am kind of stuck in painting them as the white they no longer make and part of me doesn't want to guess

THis was why I turned to my kill team but I ran into the problem of the paint blew up that I was going to do the pouches with and the harlequin book showed me a aged leather but I don't have mech grey

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I spent three or four hours last night going and back and forth between Victoria Miniatures and Anvil Industries trying 5o decide if I wanted to start replacing my Valhallans.

They wouldn't be metal, but they also wouldn't be official and I never realized how big a deal that was for me before.

Also, if I went with Victoria, I could get female troopers, and bust up this sausage party but the Anvil Industries have weapons that look closer. I wonder how they'd look together?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Still why Gw does not had a female head or two or three to the imp guard spure is beyond me

Still why Gw does not had a female head or two or three to the imp guard spure is beyond me

Its a 20 year old sprue. They need to update it really badly.

They made an awesome lady commissar though.

BLCelebration-Jan23-SeverinaRaine1cerg.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    They charge an arm and a leg for that lady commissar, though.

Also, Brainleech, the people you play/paint with sound like complete turds.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    edited July 2019

they caused me to quit playing 40k for a time and it was bad
    I remember this clearly for several reasons as this was the last time I went to Mcd's as well
    Because of various reasons I had seen small groups of women at the tourney games whom would comment about how the models were painted. One asked me how hard it was to paint. I said it's not hard it's really one of those things you learn as you will have your hits and misses. This the start of youtube I point out how you can find various videos to help you get started. She thanks me and then goes back to looking at the small boxes and blisters of minis when John and his cadre of toxic start the comments of women don't belong here and other words. She and her friend blow them off He comes back with his slimeball of a friend and he beings saying things like show me the goods and smile
    The girls still keep ignoring them. The girl from earlier asks what would be a good model to start with I told her it depends do you like the look of it? Does it look like something you would enjoy painting? when John now with three people use me ot corner her and saying gross stuff saying this is a boy's club no girls allowed. One looks at me saying you ruin the game by helping girls get into it. [I had talked to a few women about the modeling aspect of it. So one begins to start to fondle her I grab his hand so she can get away. John says you wanto to fight waving his hands to his other 2 friends and I said there is not enough room in this corner if you want to go outside I would be more than willing.
    I finished my game packed up my army and never went back
    The deatchwatch rpg game a few months later was the farewell to gw and 40k for me for the time As I brought my friend she wanted to play with people outside of the solo mission stuff we were doing to see. We get there find a table where she creates her character and the person with a sidekick says Girls can only play SoB not space marines takes away her character sheet and is a jerk for the next couple of minutes

We left she was very upset at that
    From fall of 2011 till 2017 I did not have any interest in 40k or Gw stuff
    I had ebay set up to email about Hero Quest stuff so Silver Tower was a WTF is this?

I got Severina Raine with the storm trooper kill team even though I don't like the pulpy sci fi look of them
    I have haphazardly looked at other paint jobs for them to but I just don't know they still sit in their boxes waiting

Brainleech on
    Finally made my cryptek/spyder conversion.

Wqo0uXk.jpg

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular

I remember this clearly for several reasons as this was the last time I went to Mcd's as well
    Because of various reasons I had seen small groups of women at the tourney games whom would comment about how the models were painted. One asked me how hard it was to paint. I said it's not hard it's really one of those things you learn as you will have your hits and misses. This the start of youtube I point out how you can find various videos to help you get started. She thanks me and then goes back to looking at the small boxes and blisters of minis when John and his cadre of toxic start the comments of women don't belong here and other words. She and her friend blow them off He comes back with his slimeball of a friend and he beings saying things like show me the goods and smile
    The girls still keep ignoring them. The girl from earlier asks what would be a good model to start with I told her it depends do you like the look of it? Does it look like something you would enjoy painting? when John now with three people use me ot corner her and saying gross stuff saying this is a boy's club no girls allowed. One looks at me saying you ruin the game by helping girls get into it. [I had talked to a few women about the modeling aspect of it. So one begins to start to fondle her I grab his hand so she can get away. John says you wanto to fight waving his hands to his other 2 friends and I said there is not enough room in this corner if you want to go outside I would be more than willing.
    The deatchwatch rpg game a few months later was the farewell to gw and 40k for me for the time As I brought my friend she wanted to play with people outside of the solo mission stuff we were doing to see. We get there find a table where she creates her character and the person with a sidekick says Girls can only play SoB not space marines takes away her character sheet and is a jerk for the next couple of minutes

I had ebay set up to email about Hero Quest stuff so Silver Tower was a WTF is this?

I got Severina Raine with the storm trooper kill team even though I don't like the pulpy sci fi look of them
    I have haphazardly looked at other paint jobs for them to but I just don't know they still sit in their boxes waiting

Jesus Christ.

Fuck John.

I’m sorry you have to put up with that kind of bullshit.

Jesus Christ.

Fuck John.

I feel genuinely thankful the store I play at is so inclusive and will absolutely kick people out of the store for being misogynists, bigots, homophobes, etc. They do have pretty mediocre customer service though.

I stopped playing 40K with a dude who refused to stop making sexual comments about a girl playing MTG. Happened like 8 years ago.

Jesus Christ.

Fuck John.

I feel genuinely thankful the store I play at is so inclusive and will absolutely kick people out of the store for being misogynists, bigots, homophobes, etc. They do have pretty mediocre customer service though.

I stopped playing 40K with a dude who refused to stop making sexual comments about a girl playing MTG. Happened like 8 years ago.

When I played MTG back in the 90's I saw some Ugly shit in a store frequented by Marines. Needlessly to say I did see people get their asses beat

This discussion has been closed.