Options

Join us in thread and [Steam] group chat!

• Options
    HeartfinderHeartfinder Registered User regular
    Man, awitching threads always throws me for a loop until I bookmark the new one.

Anyways, bought and finished Timespinner a little while ago. Basically, it's a PC version of Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia with a dash of Prince of Persia (ability to stop time momentairly though it can be extended) thrown in. Considering my deep love of Metroidvanias in general, I loved it. Thought it was FAR better than CHASM. Will probably go back through NG+ for the other ending after the new year.

Now back to the grind that is Grim Dawn...

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Fuck that actually sounds really cool.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I think I'm gonna nominate Norman's Guy for the Labor of Love award, since they released yet another content patch this past week. Sure Paradox have been great at releasing post-launch content for their games, but Hello Games created what's probably the greatest video game turnaround story to date without ever asking buyers for more money for the labor and content they added, when they could have easily tried to release it as paid DLC, or just plain cut and run and consigned the game to the dust bin of history like many other outfits already do(hi Warner Brothers).

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Man, awitching threads always throws me for a loop until I bookmark the new one.

Anyways, bought and finished Timespinner a little while ago. Basically, it's a PC version of Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia with a dash of Prince of Persia (ability to stop time momentairly though it can be extended) thrown in. Considering my deep love of Metroidvanias in general, I loved it. Thought it was FAR better than CHASM. Will probably go back through NG+ for the other ending after the new year.

Now back to the grind that is Grim Dawn...

That game looks awesome. Love the art style. I'm a cheapskate with too many games to play though.

• Options
    At first I thought this Duke Dashington Remastered game was some sort of palette swapped Wario Land, which kinda sounded rad because Wario Land was a good game....but then I watched the trailer and realized it's a Zelda sliding ice block puzzle disguised as an action platformer. You seem to only be able to move all the way in 4 directions until you hit a wall, and it's all about moving stuff around the levels to clear a path or avoid traps via moving all the way up/down/left/right.

It's not really what I thought it was/what I was looking for, but it seems interesting at least.

Also Kotaku wrote a piece about The Hex, which is the new game from the Pony Island people, and I don't see it tagged as "horror" or "psychological horror" on Steam like Pony Island was, so maybe I'll actually play it.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Finally, after owning the Oculus Rift Touch for at least 6 months, i got around to setting the damn thing up. IT'S GOOD! I played a lot of Moss! Quill is amazing, such a cute little mouse. And the world is scaled really well.

Then i tried Beat Saber and that was intense! Tan through a song on easy and was still tired lol.

Finally, the game that broke me, FalloutVR. OUCH! Nauseating within the first 10 mins which is a crying shame. I'll give it another shot with the comfort settings way up once i can stomach being in VR again.

• Options
    You should mess with the Google Earth app.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    You should mess with the Google Earth app.

Yeah that was one of the first things I downloaded from the Oculus store.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Okay, so someone explain to me a few things:
    - What will I have missed in Metal Gear if the last game I played was 2?
    - The Phantom Pain says it's open world. Are we talking Assassin's Creed/Just Cause/Etc?
    - @Jazz, I note you had this game and have 110 hours in it. Was that played on your old rig, and how well did that work for you if so?
    - How long to I have to waffle over the Humble Monthly thing?

Thanks in advance.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't play MGS3. So much of the story in future games revolves around it and Big Boss specifically. You don't have to play Peace Walker before MGSV, but you should at least check a wiki or something so you can get a general gist of the story and certain events, since V is a direct sequel to it.

Also play Ground Zeroes before Phantom Pain. It's not super long but it's worth it for the set up to MGSV (it's essentially a prologue chapter).

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    - The Phantom Pain says it's open world. Are we talking Assassin's Creed/Just Cause/Etc?
    - @Jazz, I note you had this game and have 110 hours in it. Was that played on your old rig, and how well did that work for you if so?

Thanks in advance.

- You probably should at least look up a bit what happened in Metal Gear Solid 3, so you know a bit about Big Boss, since you'll be playing him and his Diamond Dogs. We can give you a very short summary if you want.
    - Kind of? You can futz around in open world a lot, but missions also have more structured, well, structures, when you decide to start them up.
    - The game is surprisingly well optimized. I have friends who have played this game on computers that don't fill the minimum requirements, much less the actual recommended ones.
    - Monthly typically runs out on the first Friday of the month, IIRC? So unless something changes, you should have until the 6th.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    One of the greatest sins of Konami getting out of video games is that they made this FOX Engine that runs on a toaster and will never use it for anything. Maybe pachinko machines.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Is this a Secret Santa-ing or general Steam gifting?

klwRNwm.jpg

Either way, many classy thanks to @jclast.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    @Werewolf2000ad

After *checks* 44 hours, I am finally properly attired
    C5B4A671265EE2DB602576F6E1EB6C4F032349A3

Eyebrows crooked. Best to start from scratch
    Kidding :P

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    - Jazz, I note you had this game and have 110 hours in it. Was that played on your old rig, and how well did that work for you if so?

Thanks in advance.

To echo and expand on what the others have already said:
    - MGS3 is a must-play, both for creating context for MGSV and the series as a whole, and because, convoluted controls aside, it's simply one of the best games ever made. It's a great injustice that it's not on PC, but it's on so many other platforms now that I'm sure you can find something! And Ground Zeroes (included with the Humble) is a direct prologue chapter to Phantom Pain. (It's short story-wise, just a couple of hours and can be speedrun in minutes, but has a lot of replayability with new variations that open up after you play the main story.) By the way, Phantom Pain's actual opening section is bananas, and not like the main game, so don't let it put you off when you get to it!
    - What @Drascin said - actual story missions are structured, but you can futz around in the open world. Personally I liked doing that and doing "side ops" more fun than the story missions, which I still haven't finished (I really should get back to it). It's not really built to reward exploration but it sets a good scene and lets you approach areas from different directions, which can mix up the way you approach things. It's pretty cool.
    - That 110 hours was all on my old machine, and it was just about maxed out in settings too at or near 60fps. The engine is stunningly well optimized, and looks super great. Like, it's made of witchcraft and distilled awesome. There aren't enough superlatives for it. You won't have a problem.
    - By the 7th, it says. So call it the 6th to be on the safe side.

Jazz on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Wasn't metal gear three the movie?

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Basil wrote: »

That was 4.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

That was 4.

That was all of them.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

That was 4.

That was all of them.

I mean 3 does have the infamously intense ladder climb...

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    At first I thought this Duke Dashington Remastered game was some sort of palette swapped Wario Land, which kinda sounded rad because Wario Land was a good game....but then I watched the trailer and realized it's a Zelda sliding ice block puzzle disguised as an action platformer. You seem to only be able to move all the way in 4 directions until you hit a wall, and it's all about moving stuff around the levels to clear a path or avoid traps via moving all the way up/down/left/right.

It's not really what I thought it was/what I was looking for, but it seems interesting at least.

Also Kotaku wrote a piece about The Hex, which is the new game from the Pony Island people, and I don't see it tagged as "horror" or "psychological horror" on Steam like Pony Island was, so maybe I'll actually play it.

Pony island is not a horror or psychological horror game. Not even a little bit.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

That was 4.

That was all of them.

Best ladder climb in gaming.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

That was 4.

That was all of them.

I dunno the first F.E.A.R. had a pretty good one.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

That was 4.

That was all of them.

F.E.A.R.'s ladder has you climbing down rather than up. Totally different genre.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

That was 4.

That was all of them.

F.E.A.R.'s ladder has you climbing down rather than up. Totally different genre.

Ah true, true.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Did you have to stop for a snack mid way down the ladder to keep your stamina up?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    If by that you mean "clean the pee off the sofa," then yeah.

• Options
    Did you have to stop for a snack mid way down the ladder to keep your stamina up?

No, but you do need to stop to change your shorts.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid V has the best gameplay of all the series, by far.

It also has the dumbest, stupidest, most mind-numbing story of all of the series, by far.

The best character isn't even introduced until like, the last third of the game.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Jesus, fallout 76 cannot get a break.
    Damn near everyone hates it, and following along the refund rabbit hole is a hot mess. Bethesda has said if you downloaded the game, you cannot get a refund... Even the 200$ box set did not have an actual CD. Just a piece of cardboard with a download code, but all the steel case trappings were there for your nonexistent CD.

There are even jaded rumors going about that Bethesda specifically avoided steam so as to not worry about steam offering refunds...

I feel sorry for the peeps in the fallout thread.

https://youtu.be/jYTbekWTpMw

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    In the wake of Fallout 4, Bethesda has done a fantastic job of ensuring that I will never buy another Fallout game, that's for sure.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Eh.

The game is ridiculously fun. It's not broken. There's a very vocal echo chamber of hate for it on the internet, but everyone I know *IRL* who is playing it is having fun and not having any significant problems.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Jesus, fallout 76 cannot get a break.
    Damn near everyone hates it, and following along the refund rabbit hole is a hot mess. Bethesda has said if you downloaded the game, you cannot get a refund... Even the 200$ box set did not have an actual CD. Just a piece of cardboard with a download code, but all the steel case trappings were there for your nonexistent CD.

There are even jaded rumors going about that Bethesda specifically avoided steam so as to not worry about steam offering refunds...

I feel sorry for the peeps in the fallout thread.

https://youtu.be/jYTbekWTpMw

Holy double butts. I knew that reception for the game was pretty poor but that's worse than I imagined.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say you really don't need to have played any of the MGS games to dive into MGSV. It's really more of an open world sandbox with the missions being all about using the toys in said sandbox to complete the mission. The story is pretty much self contained even though it ties into the mythos. It actually ties in more with the very first 2D Metal Gear game than anything else really. But yeah they toned down the story HEAVILY after MGS4 backlash of people complaining about it being all cutscenes. It's a pretty threadbare story that got the third act cut during development. MGSV was more about gameplay than story

MGS3 has the best story, so if you want to play a MGS game for story go with that one. Otherwise feel free to dive into what IMO is a pretty well done mission based sandbox game. If you play Ground Zeroes first you can also unlock stuff that carries over to TPP, like an OP Hideo Kojima that makes researching weapons and stuff at your base a lot faster

Zavian on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    I'm going to offer a dissenting opinion and say that I feel that 3 was the worst MGS.

I don't have any specifics thing to point at, because none of it stuck with me, but I enjoyed the story in 5 more, and the 5 story is pretty non-sensical/existant.

Also every system in it seems to have been developed as an excuse to get you to spend more time in the menu. The camo, the hunting, the wounds..

It's a bad game.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I can't imagine playing the MGS series without playing 3. It was a brilliant game and amazing story.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Metal Gear Solid V has the best gameplay of all the series, by far.

It also has the dumbest, stupidest, most mind-numbing story of all of the series, by far.

The best character isn't even introduced until like, the last third of the game.

IDK, it seems like it was less up its own butt than mgs2.

Also, who do you consider the best character?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Was making MGSV's story barebones an actual design choice? When you have to cut the third act because the game is taking too long, it doesn't seem like the story was so sparse on purpose. Maybe because so much of it is told via audio logs, and they replaced the main voice actor with an expensive celebrity who the game director just wanted to meet, it gives the impression of being sparse on purpose.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Another hot take: I've been enjoying Fallout 76 for what it is, which is an early access open world sandbox survival game like Ark, Age of Conan, Rust, etc., made with the Fallout 4 engine and world. It wasn't marketed or released that way, but that's what it is, and I've been having fun with it despite the PS4 pro crashes and frame rate dips.

Not offering refunds is pretty shady though. And they need to start treating FO76 like an early access title by listening to feedback and delivering frequent updates and communication with the community via weekly dev blogs at the least. Anyway that's my hot take.

/shill?

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Another hot take: I've been enjoying Fallout 76 for what it is, which is an early access open world sandbox survival game like Ark, Age of Conan, Rust, etc., made with the Fallout 4 engine and world. It wasn't marketed or released that way, but that's what it is, and I've been having fun with it despite the PS4 pro crashes and frame rate dips.

Not offering refunds is pretty shady though. And they need to start treating FO76 like an early access title by listening to feedback and delivering frequent updates and communication with the community via weekly dev blogs at the least. Anyway that's my hot take.

/shill?

But they totally are.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Yeah only 2 weeks until they enable push to talk for the SERVER WIDE AUDIO CHANNEL YOU START IN.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.