As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Join us in thread and [Steam] group chat!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I just think the entire project was probably misguided from the start. People didn't love the Bethesda Fallout games for the aesthetic, they liked the writing and characters and quests and fun of romping around an open world full of wildly varied NPCs. With that stuff gone I think the potential playerbase is a lot smaller to begin with, even if it had launched in a pristine state.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Another hot take: I've been enjoying Fallout 76 for what it is, which is an early access open world sandbox survival game like Ark, Age of Conan, Rust, etc., made with the Fallout 4 engine and world. It wasn't marketed or released that way, but that's what it is, and I've been having fun with it despite the PS4 pro crashes and frame rate dips.

Not offering refunds is pretty shady though. And they need to start treating FO76 like an early access title by listening to feedback and delivering frequent updates and communication with the community via weekly dev blogs at the least. Anyway that's my hot take.

/shill?

But they totally are.
    I'm gonna be real with you here. people wouldn't be paying for lawyers and lawsuits if this was actually the case.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    In the wake of Fallout 4, Bethesda has done a fantastic job of ensuring that I will never buy another Fallout game, that's for sure.

I've never bought a Bethesda game, so I feel I'm ahead of the game.
    Xaviar wrote: »
    I'm going to offer a dissenting opinion and say that I feel that 3 was the worst MGS.

I don't have any specifics thing to point at, because none of it stuck with me, but I enjoyed the story in 5 more, and the 5 story is pretty non-sensical/existant.

Also every system in it seems to have been developed as an excuse to get you to spend more time in the menu. The camo, the hunting, the wounds..

It's a bad game.

I hated MGS1 so much. A friend talked me into playing MGS2, mainly because he hated what it was after MGS1. I tried it out and found it to be a better, but not great. MGS3 was nearly unplayable for me because the controls were overly complicated. Never finished it, or played another MGS since.

Given my disdain for the series might make my opinion a bit jaded though.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    heenato wrote: »
    Another hot take: I've been enjoying Fallout 76 for what it is, which is an early access open world sandbox survival game like Ark, Age of Conan, Rust, etc., made with the Fallout 4 engine and world. It wasn't marketed or released that way, but that's what it is, and I've been having fun with it despite the PS4 pro crashes and frame rate dips.

Not offering refunds is pretty shady though. And they need to start treating FO76 like an early access title by listening to feedback and delivering frequent updates and communication with the community via weekly dev blogs at the least. Anyway that's my hot take.

/shill?

But they totally are.
    I'm gonna be real with you here. people wouldn't be paying for lawyers and lawsuits if this was actually the case.

No one is paying for lawyers and lawsuits. A company that specializes in class actions smelled money and posted some bait on reddit. They have a broken website and a facebook page full of lawsuits against banks and lawyer memes.

Not that that has even one iota of anything to do with what I posted, which was a response to Zavian's comment that they need to communicate and update...

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Independent of everything else, I think any company refusing to offer refunds under any circumstances is an unethical business practice.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Metal Gear Solid V has the best gameplay of all the series, by far.

It also has the dumbest, stupidest, most mind-numbing story of all of the series, by far.

The best character isn't even introduced until like, the last third of the game.

IDK, it seems like it was less up its own butt than mgs2.

Also, who do you consider the best character?

Metal Gear Solid 2 basically predicted our current political landscape, so...

Best MGSV character:
    Code Talker, obviously

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

/shill?

But they totally are.

No one is paying for lawyers and lawsuits. A company that specializes in class actions smelled money and posted some bait on reddit. They have a broken website and a facebook page full of lawsuits against banks and lawyer memes.

Not that that has even one iota of anything to do with what I posted, which was a response to Zavian's comment that they need to communicate and update...
    Ah. okay. my apologies on that front. I didn't notice the bolded part.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

/shill?

But they totally are.

Yeah I'm glad they broke radio silence, and have hopes that they keep doing update posts like that. I can see why people have been frustrated thus far though. I'm hoping for a No Mans Sky situation where behind the scenes they're working hard to really improve everything and add more content and stuff. Radio silence right after launch though can be really frustrating, but if it's because they're working their butts off and don't want to announce stuff before it's set in stone I can understand. But man, bring me those big fixes and fix those crashes Bethesda! Luckily I've only had minor quest progress resets when I crash and nothing major

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I still think it's totally ridiculous that their official solution to their nonexistent uninstaller is to have the user manual Ctrl F through regedit to find every single key and delete them manually

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    I still think it's totally ridiculous that their official solution to their nonexistent uninstaller is to have the user manual Ctrl F through regedit to find every single key and delete them manually

Wait, what? You're joking right?

• Options

this is a joke

this has to be a joke

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

this is a joke

this has to be a joke

Well technically, they want you to just delete the files, and leave the install entry just hanging out there, cluttering up the list: https://help.bethesda.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/43948/kw/uninstall beta

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    To be clear. The game itself can uninstall fine. And the beta uninstalled as long as you did it before the beta ended. But for some dumbfuckery reason, if you kept the beta and didn't buy the game, there's no way to uninstall it through either the launcher or Windows itself. You can manually delete the game files but of course it leaves registry entries which have to be manually deleted (or use a common tool like ccleaner, I suppose).

I can't defend them on this. It's dumb af. And I'm not sure why it hasn't been addressed.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    At the minimum, they could have provided a .reg file that automated removing the entries.

• Options
    That's...I mean it's not the worst thing ever, but wow that's dumb.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm just happy they're updating the game, instead of going the Destiny route and making you pay again for updates/fixes.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Honestly, the fact that a couple of my friends who love everything Fallout didn't get this game at all is about as damning a thing as I can think of.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    3clipse wrote: »
    That's...I mean it's not the worst thing ever, but wow that's dumb.

Still better than what Tribes 2 did to me.
    Spent three hours trying to patch itself, failed, and then when I uninstalled it, it took out my DirectX installation too. Except it left all the registry entries and whatnot so Windows was convinced it was still installed.

That was fun trying to fix that. Has to be, what, 17 years ago now or something and it's still seared into the memory. And that damn game never did run.

Then of course there's the legendary PA Myth 2 comic:
    i-Z8N5tPL.jpg

Jazz on
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    Honestly, the fact that a couple of my friends who love everything Fallout didn't get this game at all is about as damning a thing as I can think of.

To me that just says that they were turned off by either (a) multiplayer, which lots of FO fans did not and do not want and which is understandable, or (b) the howling warbles of the internet.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I think it's a little bit more than just internet howling when almost every review outlet imaginable has torpedoed the game and told people not to buy it.

That just doesn't happen with AAA games. Either reviewers really have a hatred for Bethesda, or something is very wrong with Fallout 76 as a game.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    I'm not saying it's flawless, or even great. Just that I think the outrage is rather disproportionate, and a great deal of it that I've personally heard comes from people who have not played it and are basing their opinions on carefully stitched-together youtube videos showcasing bugs.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I think it's a little bit more than just internet howling when almost every review outlet imaginable has torpedoed the game and told people not to buy it.

That just doesn't happen with AAA games. Either reviewers really have a hatred for Bethesda, or something is very wrong with Fallout 76 as a game.

Idk internet hateon bandwagon hits lots of games. Battlefront 2, ME Andromeda, AC Origins...

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I'm not saying it's flawless, or even great. Just that I think the outrage is rather disproportionate, and a great deal of it that I've personally heard comes from people who have not played it and are basing their opinions on carefully stitched-together youtube videos showcasing bugs.

Well the entire point of review outlets is to tell people whether or not a game is worth buying. If I see most of them saying not to buy a game, I'm not going to pay $60 for it. Nobody is saying the game cannot possibly be fun, my argument is...well maybe Bethesda are just a bunch of greedy assholes and pushed out a broken game? That doesn't seem unreasonable, corporations want the most money for as little effort as possible. Cash grabs DO exist, and sometimes games are cash grabs.

I don't think the outrage is disproportionate if the game is legitimately getting 5 out of 10 stars from review outlets and you can't fully uninstall it without using regedit. I understand being tolerant of jank, but that doesn't sound like a product I would pay full price for.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It’s weird cause it seemed obvious to me from the early promo stuff that it was a sandbox/survival game with a coat of fallout paint, and I promptly stopped paying attention to it. And lo, post release everyone’s suddenly surprised by that?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Was making MGSV's story barebones an actual design choice? When you have to cut the third act because the game is taking too long, it doesn't seem like the story was so sparse on purpose. Maybe because so much of it is told via audio logs, and they replaced the main voice actor with an expensive celebrity who the game director just wanted to meet, it gives the impression of being sparse on purpose.

Also the game was in development hell for a long time. When it was finally released it was because they had taken too long and too much money developing it so management put their foot down and told them to ship it.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    But never on this scale. It may just be that Bethesda was the one that broke the camel's back. But there has been a trend in AAA gaming. It's unsustainable to release modern warball fighter 20xx every year and top what it was last year. When selling a 100million copies is considered a failure because you expected 150million to break even... There is a problem.

I think its why we've seen the rise of lootboxes and feature reduction and nickel/dime paywalls for stuff that was available just because in earlier games, and now with trying to censor games already released to cater to the Chinese market (r6 siege).

We can list a lot of things and the past couple of years, I think a lot of people arr finally saying, 'enough. No more.'

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    The same shenanigans happened to battlefield V. Thing is, that game is legitimately a good time. It has bugs for sure but it’s a GOOD game. In my opinion. And somehow pubg is super popular. Ah well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    ToyD wrote: »
    The same shenanigans happened to battlefield V. Thing is, that game is legitimately a good time. It has bugs for sure but it’s a GOOD game. In my opinion. And somehow pubg is super popular. Ah well.

PUBG is super fun, though. There's a reason it blew up.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    It’s weird cause it seemed obvious to me from the early promo stuff that it was a sandbox/survival game with a coat of fallout paint, and I promptly stopped paying attention to it. And lo, post release everyone’s suddenly surprised by that?

A lot of people don't spend time time reading up on games before release. It's weird to us because of the kinds of places we're posting right now but a lot of franchises have casual fans who might not have read the articles talking about a lack of npcs and such.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    And in that vein, Bethesda is doing damage control and breaking radio silence as it were.

https://youtu.be/SFSsCuGUCwU

You better believe though that they were trying to get away with just shoveling off a radioactive pile.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    an 11-minute video to talk about the reddit post I linked a page ago? :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    I guess that just means whomever was able to snag FO76 at half price this past weekend and Monday managed to get a pretty great deal (if Bethesda follows through with the patch schedule).

• Options

Sorry @Pixelated Pixie I've been at work and havent been able to do much replying to the thread and listen to videos. I drive for work, so vids are where I get my news.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options

Sorry @Pixelated Pixie I've been at work and havent been able to do much replying to the thread and listen to videos. I drive for work, so vids are where I get my news.

I'm......mildly concerned.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

I'm......mildly concerned.

I turn on YouTube and I leave the phone running. I don't watch it I just listen.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Eh.

The game is ridiculously fun. It's not broken. There's a very vocal echo chamber of hate for it on the internet, but everyone I know *IRL* who is playing it is having fun and not having any significant problems.

I'm just bummed that they're making Fallout games that I don't want instead of Fallout games that I do want.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    jclast wrote: »
    Eh.

The game is ridiculously fun. It's not broken. There's a very vocal echo chamber of hate for it on the internet, but everyone I know *IRL* who is playing it is having fun and not having any significant problems.

I'm just bummed that they're making Fallout games that I don't want instead of Fallout games that I *do* want.

I mean, for some of us, this happened all the way back when they undercut troika's bid /nma

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I knew there had to be some NMA folks here somewhere! :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Eh.

I'm just bummed that they're making Fallout games that I don't want instead of Fallout games that I *do* want.

I mean, for some of us, this happened all the way back when they undercut troika's bid /nma

My first one was Fallout 3. I picked up Fallout 1&2 on GOG, tried them, and couldn't get into them. The story synopses and wiki rabbit-holes for them were great though.

camo_sig2.png