Options

Join us in thread and [Steam] group chat!

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Before I forget (and since Steam seems to be down for updates), @Talus9952 decided that he had a key that he just had to toss my way- with a go-kart containing a large orange feline attached to it.

Many thanks for Garfield Kart! And me without any lasagna in the house...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I guess that just means whomever was able to snag FO76 at half price this past weekend and Monday managed to get a pretty great deal (if Bethesda follows through with the patch schedule).

If Bethesda's history is anything to go by the game will get aggressive discounts at strategic times, and will be three bucks inside a year.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I got FO76 at a discount anyway. 20% off for preordering from Amazon, then they took another $20 off because it arrived a day late. So I ended up paying like $30 for it. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Hey, a price I might be willing to pay.

Nothing against FO76, to me it just doesn't do enough interesting things with the survival setting other than being in the fallout setting IMO.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Mafia III is the Deal of the Day. The Digital Deluxe version is $5 more and includes the Season Pass content, which is too good of a deal to pass up if you're going to get the game anyway.

As I said before, I think the main gameplay loop is a little repetitive, but the DLC stuff mixes it up a bit and the story itself is strong enough that I played through the grindier parts.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    FO76 was straight up $30 list price on Amazon yesterday for PS4, XBOX, or PC. But I think it was a boxed PC copy they'd then ship you.
    Seemed a bit early for that deep a sale price, but it was one day only for now.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I redboxed Fallout 76 for $7, then traded in $25 worth of ps3/4 games to snag a $25 PSN giftcard at gamestop, then bought it digitally on sale for $40. So...$47? Or $22 plus some old used games? Eh, I like survival crafting games so worth it to me. I just RP pretend that whenever the game crashes and resets my quest progress it was just a blackout from all the whiskey and radiation accumulation. Role playing is fun! (Note, fun is relative)

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I don't know anything about the technical issues around Fallout '76, but I totally get the sense of resentment and distrust associated with it. A company going all-in on multiplayer subscription-or-microtransaction games and then ignoring their existing fan base isn't exactly a new story, and Bethesda has certainly had a few high-profile single-player flops recently.

Well, by the modern-day definition of "flop" where games cost $texas to make and you need to earn $california back to make the shareholders happy.

If I was currently enjoying a rousing round of Warcraft IV or reminiscing about how Half-Life 3 wrapped up the story, I might be confused where all the vitriol was coming from, is what I'm getting at.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    ToyD wrote: »
    The same shenanigans happened to battlefield V. Thing is, that game is legitimately a good time. It has bugs for sure but it’s a GOOD game. In my opinion. And somehow pubg is super popular. Ah well.

PUBG is super fun, though. There's a reason it blew up.

PUBG was actually released in Early Access.

Also, they got their lunch eaten when the much more polished Fortnite came out, and again when Blackout came out. Meanwhile PUBG is STILL janky. (Remember the "Fix PUBG" campaign they had going recently?)

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    FortNite was also free.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    The same shenanigans happened to battlefield V. Thing is, that game is legitimately a good time. It has bugs for sure but it’s a GOOD game. In my opinion. And somehow pubg is super popular. Ah well.

Also, they got their lunch eaten when the much more polished Fortnite came out, and again when Blackout came out. Meanwhile PUBG is STILL janky. (Remember the "Fix PUBG" campaign they had going recently?)

Sure it's janky. Doesn't mean it's not also great. Neither Fortnite nor Blackout scratch the same itch that PUBG does.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Bethesda has certainly had a few high-profile single-player flops recently.

... they have?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I mean, Bethesda does own a bunch of studios, and I don't know how well the Wolfensteins and Evils Within sold.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular

Sure it's janky. Doesn't mean it's not also great. Neither Fortnite nor Blackout scratch the same itch that PUBG does.

I was going for the buggy game angle in my original comment. I’m not gonna begrudge anyone their fun. If you like it, go get it. I just hate the internet police driving people away from games because of some minor slight. It makes it harder to play games you do enjoy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    New Colossus, to my understanding, didn't sell super well but was generally well received (I certainly enjoyed the game a lot).

Evil Within was kind of a flop I think.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Wolfenstein II, Prey and Dishonored 2 all apparently underperformed. That said, there's still at least two more Wolfenstein games in development, so "underperformed" doesn't necessarily mean unprofitable.

... wait, is that an actual word?

• Options

... they have?

The most recent Dishonored killed the franchise, and Wolfenstein II hit the 50% off mark in record time. They're probably not flops in the sense of "we lost money on this and will be closing studios", but they're certainly not hits.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

I was going for the buggy game angle in my original comment. I’m not gonna begrudge anyone their fun. If you like it, go get it. I just hate the internet police driving people away from games because of some minor slight. It makes it harder to play games you do enjoy.

It's only slightly similar but I'm also recommending people not buy RTX video cards.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

It's only slightly similar but I'm also recommending people not buy RTX video cards.

Why?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    RTX video cards literally catch fire in your cpu tower.

That was not hyperbole...

Isn't that just the 2080 ti. Also isn't the actual problem that they crash like hell? I haven't seen more than one instance of them catching fire, which implies it isn't a common worry.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I chalk it up to the alignment of everything bad happening at the same time. Plus, Nvidia had been quiet about what the issues were until there was that engineer that posted about 'test escapes' and actually admitting, there was a problem, but not specifying what is actually wrong.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Okay, now I've got to be getting close to the end of Concrete Jungle. I've got one level left, and it claims to be the 'Grand Finale'. This game is great, and I can't fathom why I put it down way back when.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Okay, now I've got to be getting close to the end of Concrete Jungle. I've got one level left, and it claims to be the 'Grand Finale'. This game is great, and I can't fathom why I put it down way back when.

I loved it and then had a hard level and gave up.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Cross-posting from the board game thread:

Would anyone be interested in a worker placement game that features a market row and Starcraft strategy elements? I ask because the wife and I are developing a game like that for Steam, but we’re also considering a physical game as well.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

I loved it and then had a hard level and gave up.

It's not sexy, but this is almost assuredly what happened to me, too.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Would anyone be interested in a worker placement game that features a market row and Starcraft strategy elements? I ask because the wife and I are developing a game like that for Steam, but we’re also considering a physical game as well.

6gRCnAr.gif

For real though, that sounds like just the sort of thing I would buy physical, get frustrated that I only get to play twice a year and then buy on Steam to play solo.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

That sounds awesomely amazing.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

... they have?

The most recent Dishonored killed the franchise, and Wolfenstein II hit the 50% off mark in record time. They're probably not flops in the sense of "we lost money on this and will be closing studios", but they're certainly not hits.

Were they actual flops though, or just "flops" because they didn't meet unrealistic metrics set by stupid and greedy executives?

I'm reminded of how several Square-Enix-published games reportedly "didn't meet sales expectations" despite topping sales charts for the month they were released.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

... they have?

Yeah that's a real reach. Especially if we're talking Bethesda the developer vs publisher. I kind of fell off of Fallout 4, but I bet they made bank on that, and Skyrim is running on your refrigerator right now. As publisher, those single player games have not been big hits, but they're far from disasters. I also quite liked the majority of them whatever their sales figures were. I imagine Doom did well too.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm just bummed that they're making Fallout games that I don't want instead of Fallout games that I do want.

Fallout Kart Racing when

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

... they have?

Were they actual flops though, or just "flops" because they didn't meet unrealistic metrics set by stupid and greedy executives?

I'm reminded of how several Square-Enix-published games reportedly "didn't meet sales expectations" despite topping sales charts for the month they were released.

From my actual post:
    Well, by the modern-day definition of "flop" where games cost $texas to make and you need to earn $california back to make the shareholders happy

• Options

Yep that’s pretty bad and I feel would be warranted.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Some game details for anyone interested:
    Very early design concept, subject to lots of changes:
    • You're economy is based around Workers
    • The goal is to destroy your opponent's Core (aka the Command Center from SC)
    • There is a market row that has Building Plans or Ships you can purchase with Workers
    • Once acquired, the Plans and Ships go to your hand
    • No hand size limit or discard required
    • You can spend Workers to create the Building Plans you've acquired
    • You can spend Workers to pilot Ships in your hand
    • When completed, Buildings or Ships are placed on one of two rows, the front or the back
    • In order to attack the back row, you must clear the front row first (w/exceptions)
    • Ships and Buildings (that can attack) fight in a Hearthstone style where they bump each other to apply damage
    • Damage is persistent, but can be repaired with Workers
    • You can create more Workers in your Core
    • If a Ship or Building is destroyed, it's gone for good
    • Any Workers piloting or manning a building are killed when their corresponding Ship/Building is destroyed
    • There will be a Worker cap
    • More powerful Buildings require lots of Workers to build, but maybe only a few to acquire
    • Ships from the market row don't need to be built, just piloted (great for quick attack/defense)
    • Buildings you own can sometimes create Ships or have abilities (battlecry, deathrattle, placement bonuses, etc)

So it's a mix of Starcraft unit production, deck builder market rows (without deck building), and economy management. You could employ a fast aggro strategy or maybe build up a bigger force. Perhaps combo the enemy down or wear them away.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

We tolds you so!
    v0uv2m62kffl.png

Karoz on
  • Options
    • There is a market row that has Building Plans or Ships you can purchase with Workers
    • When completed, Buildings or Ships are placed on one of two rows, the front or the back
    • In order to attack the back row, you must clear the front row first (w/exceptions)
    • Ships and Buildings (that can attack) fight in a Hearthstone style where they bump each other to apply damage
    • Any Workers piloting or manning a building are killed when their corresponding Ship/Building is destroyed
    • More powerful Buildings require lots of Workers to build, but maybe only a few to acquire
    • Ships from the market row don't need to be built, just piloted (great for quick attack/defense)
    • Buildings you own can sometimes create Ships or have abilities (battlecry, deathrattle, placement bonuses, etc)

So it's a mix of Starcraft unit production, deck builder market rows (without deck building), and economy management. You could employ a fast aggro strategy or maybe build up a bigger force. Perhaps combo the enemy down or wear them away.

Let me know when it's ready to go live!!! :0

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I'm just bummed that they're making Fallout games that I don't want instead of Fallout games that I do want.

Fallout Kart Racing when

Personally, I loved the hell out of Car Wars back in the day, and Interstate '76 is dying for a reboot.

Sign me up.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

I really enjoy game testing stuff like this and have experience as well, so uhh, if you wanna let me play your game for free that’d be awesome. :+1:

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

... they have?

That's sad, since Dishonored 2 was a pretty great game. Better than most of Bethesda's bigliners by a significant margin, in fact.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

... they have?

That's sad, since Dishonored 2 was a pretty great game. Better than most of Bethesda's bigliners by a significant margin, in fact.

Dishonored 2 was great. Death of the Outsider I've been a lot more lukewarm on. Both I could see have trouble catching on with a larger audience.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772