As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Join us in thread and [Steam] group chat!

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    SledGod wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    SledGod wrote: »
    I've been looking for something Zelda-adjacent on the PC to play with the kiddo, and that steam review sounds like it was written by her. Okami still looks freakin' gorgeous! Bought.

@SledGod, take a look at Oceanhorn too.

Oooh, never heard of it before but I'm digging the Wind Waker vibe, will have to check it out!

It's OK. The game definitely lacked a lot of the polish the Zelda series usually has, and I was happy to be done with it by the end. I don't regret playing through it, though.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    This past week I've played nothing but BattleTech after work and stayed up wayyy too late each night. Ambitions to 100% Card Quest and Into The Breach have been put on hiatus.

I hold @iolo solely responsible for this.

I'm starting to get a better feel of where a Mech should be now and where it should be next given the evolving dynamic of the battlefield. I think when I first started playing this at release I sort of just waddled into the short-mid range with whatever Mechs and was promptly torn apart when I started to see something that could take a few punches and not fall over. Having a more measured approach that understands that different Mechs have different strengths at different ranges in different environments at different enemies... I can see how this can become compulsively interesting.

It's interesting that I don't really care about the to-hit percentages. In a very brief sense that's why I couldn't tolerate XCOM 2 as everything was so lethal, but here the lumps and bumps of good luck and bad luck shots get smoothed out with superior tactics. The lack of guaranteed hits precisely where you want them generates a wider breadth of tactical decision making. You aimed for their RT but maybe your PPC shot did critical damage to their leg, so now if another mech can pull back and shoot it off instead of rushing towards it as initially intended, I can gain a permanent distance advantage to whittle it down further.

Sometimes it's fun to play something with ruthless, cut-throat tactics like Into The Breach, but other times I'm finding that a slow burn approach can be just as rewarding.

Damn you, iolo!!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Yes yes yes. This is what I want! <3

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    94chghngomru.png
    2qbbblngay1i.png

Terrible, unreasonable, irrational things were done. IRRATIONAL!

WOO! RE2! And necromancy!

Thanks @KoopahTroopah and @JaysonFour - you ridiculous, adorkable monsters. <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    @Pixelated Pixie Wildlands, yay or nay?

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    My internet just zonked out so I can't post a proper thank you, but thanks @JaysonFour for Telltales Gaurdians of the Galaxy game!

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    BattleTech seems like the sort of game people whose opinions I respect would tell me is awesome but would be impenetrable to me and I'd dislike it.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BattleTech seems like the sort of game people whose opinions I respect would tell me is awesome but would be impenetrable to me and I'd dislike it until I got help from those aforementioned people and got good and then I would think it's awesome too.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Another fun FNG! Tonight @destroyah87 @Ghlinn and I played some Sanctum 2 and then destroyah and I played a level of Overcooked 2!

At long last we have gone to the Kitchen-top to fight the Un-bread!

I may still be running late for tomorrow's FNG.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Karoz wrote: »
    Another fun FNG! Tonight destroyah87 Ghlinn and I played some Sanctum 2 and then destroyah and I played a level of Overcooked 2!

At long last we have gone to the Kitchen-top to fight the Un-bread!

I may still be running late for tomorrow's FNG.

Should be able to join in tomorrow!

Blackhawk1313 on
  • Options
    Gear Girl wrote: »

Are you asking for a recommendation? If so, yay. Definitely yay. It's crazy fun, lots of pretty, and will eat up an awful lot of hours of your life.

I once crashed a plane I was supposed to be flying to another part of the map for a mission. The plane was pretty banged up and looked *awful* but... I drove the damn thing on the ground the rest of the way and got credit for the mission. >.>

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

Are you asking for a recommendation? If so, yay. Definitely yay. It's crazy fun, lots of pretty, and will eat up an awful lot of hours of your life.

I once crashed a plane I was supposed to be flying to another part of the map for a mission. The plane was pretty banged up and looked *awful* but... I drove the damn thing on the ground the rest of the way and got credit for the mission. >.>

That's just plane wrong.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    there I was playing the new Total War: Warhammer II Vampirate DLC, gobbling up pirate dorfs with my Mourngul, stealing their magical Sea Shanties...
    vOSYOlg.jpg
    Q9SpRc2.jpg
    when I was finally able to upgrade my Mermaid Pirate Queen with a brand new giant hermit crab mount for her to ride into battle while leading her vampire pirate armies...
    o6Xw9ud.jpg
    AcXIO06.jpg
    mdeuQgE.jpg
    Needless to say, playing as a Mermaid Pirate Queen has been quite badass and awesome, and has consumed my freetime the past few days. And though I must now make my way back to the daily grind at work, in my mind I shall be plotting my next Mermaid Pirate Queen moves...
    hA6bkyI.jpg
    Much thanks again Karoz for the awesome vampirate DLC <3

You're welcome! It's easily my favorite expansion to come out for the Total Warhammer series.

The problem is I wouldn't recommend it for newcomers since it involves knowing a bit about horde armies and is a firing line/artillery army that can be tough to get going for some players.

Yet, the real problem is it can be hard to go back to other factions after you play as vampirates.

♫ Yo ho the blood runs cold! We take our loot but never get old! ♫

• Options

That's just plane wrong.

Sometimes you just gotta wing it.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    @karoz !!!!
    I am an Overcooked 2 master chef! Holler next time you guys play!

vamen on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

That's one way of avoiding SAM sites!

And these puns are reaching new heights.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

That's just plane wrong.

Shut your flaps!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

That's just plane wrong.

Shut your flaps!

This is going into a tailspin.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I was gonna pitch some royce_ebooks game ideas but you people are in a roll so I'm just sit here and yaw n for ace combat 7, probably borrow my brother's xbox and aileron as big blue is too old for it.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Last night's plans to be productive and get some much needed chores done sure got sidetracked by some decisions that I am feeling this morning.

"I should fix my sink and make food for the week"
    ."Hey, this 'My Time in Portia' game looks nice and chill, to the wishlist!"
    ...Chat informs there is a demo.
    .....*download demo.*
    ......"this is exactly what I wanted Yonder: Cloud Chronicles to be."
    .......*discover progress doesn't transfer to full game yet want to keep playing*
    ........*purchase*
    .........."alright, I'll start fresh tomorrow and really sink my teeth into it!"
    ..........."...I could at least get to where I stopped in the demo, I wasn't far."
    ............*blearily blinking to see it's 1AM.*
    ..............*cry because I have to be up at 4:30.*

Just from the demo I can tell two things:
    1) I love this kind of game and it’s in my top 10 most wanted now.
    2) I should never buy this game.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Also shout-out to wasting 20 bucks on Starbound the other week. It did get a look in for an hour to so but stomp-stomp will not be denied.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The demo for My Time at Portia is just loading the full game page for me.

Steam has one job!

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Steam has one job!
    scroll down on that page a little, under the "Is this game relevant to you?" and "friends who own this" bits on the right hand side is the Download Demo button

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »
    Last night's plans to be productive and get some much needed chores done sure got sidetracked by some decisions that I am feeling this morning.

"I should fix my sink and make food for the week"
    ."Hey, this 'My Time in Portia' game looks nice and chill, to the wishlist!"
    ...Chat informs there is a demo.
    .....*download demo.*
    ......"this is exactly what I wanted Yonder: Cloud Chronicles to be."
    .......*discover progress doesn't transfer to full game yet want to keep playing*
    ........*purchase*
    .........."alright, I'll start fresh tomorrow and really sink my teeth into it!"
    ..........."...I could at least get to where I stopped in the demo, I wasn't far."
    ............*blearily blinking to see it's 1AM.*
    ..............*cry because I have to be up at 4:30.*

Just from the demo I can tell two things:
    1) I love this kind of game and it’s in my top 10 most wanted now.
    2) I should never buy this game.

rNji2Et.jpg

vamen on
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    I don't know why, but I bounced off My Time in Portia pretty hard. I love Stardew Valley, which is probably the only game of this type I've played. But when I went to Portia it just..... wasn't fun? I found myself actively disliking it after a while. Maybe it was the art style? Maybe it was, as others have pointed out, that the gameplay loop, while appearing similar, just isn't. Maybe I just didn't give it enough time, but I literally found myself disliking it after a bit and returned it before my two hours were up.

Maybe I was just grouchy that day.

• Options
    Welp. Kids and I rented a private server again for Conan Exiles. Guess we're officially back in that particular timesink....

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Welp. Kids and I rented a private server again for Conan Exiles. Guess we're officially back in that particular timesink....

The family that dong sliders together...?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Massena wrote: »
    I don't know why, but I bounced off My Time in Portia pretty hard. I love Stardew Valley, which is probably the only game of this type I've played. But when I went to Portia it just..... wasn't fun? I found myself actively disliking it after a while. Maybe it was the art style? Maybe it was, as others have pointed out, that the gameplay loop, while appearing similar, just isn't. Maybe I just didn't give it enough time, but I literally found myself disliking it after a bit and returned it before my two hours were up.

Maybe I was just grouchy that day.

I think that is fair...they are definitely not the same game. At a glance / from the trailers, I think anyone would initially think it was basically Stardew 3d, but it is very different. The social aspect are similar but the actual gameplay itself isn't. Farming in Stardew vs crafting in Portia don't scratch the same itch.

vamen on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I suppose it's a credit to CrossCodes MMO trappings that I am contemplating whether or not I should go back a few zones and grind low level enemies to get enough materials to craft/trade for a thing.

Finished up the 2nd Dungeon with some more reverse engineering rube goldberg machine puzzles. I'm really liking it and I continue to be kind of surprised by how much I like it. The character interactions have been really good too.
    I've had a number of times I've gotten hung up on a fight or a puzzle but perservere through it, it's getting late and instead of calling it quits for the night, lets just see what the next thing is.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Steam has one job!
    scroll down on that page a little, under the "Is this game relevant to you?" and "friends who own this" bits on the right hand side is the Download Demo button

Thanks. That button should be at the top, not hiding down there, though.

• Options

Well... 2/3 of us play females, so there's not a lot of dongs waving around in game. >.>

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Well... 2/3 of us play females, so there's not a lot of dongs waving around in game. >.>

You can't make a trans woman who never got bottom surgery with a huge dong? Come on, game.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    There's a mod for that.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    There's a mod for that.

Modders doing the Lord's work, as ever.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

What have I done...

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    But can I give my human character a realistic horse vagina?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Also, speaking of charity stuff. I made Top 30 donators for CHOP during Extra Life 2018!
    Well we are very proud to say that thanks to all 1433 of you fantastic fundraisers, we managed to raise $235,311.17 in 2018!
    g2r2ck640u6d.png

A big thank you to everyone here who donated and participated in 2018's Extra Life. I think we have a long ways to go to make #1, but honestly $2000+ is still a ridiculous amount of money, and I wouldn't have even gotten close if it weren't for all of the generous monsters dwelling here. It warms my heart to be reminded that I'm surrounded (well, internet surrounded) by incredible people every year. Thank you all so much for your contribution, and we'll revisit this conversation in about 10 months.

<3 You can now carry on with your classy gift-shenanigans. Keep being awesome.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »

I thought horse nuts were all the rage right now?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

I thought horse nuts were all the rage right now?

You've got to stay ahead of the curve

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @KoopahTroopah I have to remember about the timing of this because I think next year I may want to do some co-op gaming with you if I can get work and family to calm. the fuck. down. for just 1 Goddamn day.

(srsly post a reminder in the lead-up so I can make room for it)