As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Join us in thread and [Steam] group chat!

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    So apparently we have a new Far Cry coming out... Announcement coming tomorrow.

... post-apocalyptic Montana?

Okay, I'm on board.

So...... just Montana then?

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    But with fewer mutants.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    And I am definitely not on board, after Far Cry 5 I do not think that they can create anything worth of attention in a near future.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I wish they would make a futuristic Far Cry game - Imagine a huge open world with vehicles on Mars. They could even add environmental destruction so you could really cause some mayhem. Then they could make it third person so you could get a better sense of scale of the carnage you were causing. Add in a pseudo-political story about leading some sort of oppressed group in a revolution against the local government and presto.

They could call it Far Cry 6: Rouge Contingent and it would sell like hotcakes.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Oh my, Into the Breach was given Mac support back in August.

This ... may prove less than advantageous for my work productivity.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    No, it's clearly the time for a pseudo reboot of the series. Push things back in time. Set the game in Europe during the Great War, and call it Far Cry One.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I loved Far Cry 5. Played through it once solo and I’m co-op playing it again with a buddy when we take Friday night away from our better halves.

My only beef is that two of the three regions are full of normal, reasonably well-written people and one of the three is full of, well, caricatures that act like coastal types imagine people in the flyovers act like. As a former resident of a corn-producing state, I had to kind of let that roll over me.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Finished Shadow of War main story last night.
    Was actually expecting that last part to be more of a grind, but apparently just goofing around while ignoring the story, I knocked out a lot of what was needed for the true ending so for the final act I just needed 4 sieges.
    On to story dlc.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Yeah well that is after the patch that removed lootboxes and reduced the number from 20 sieges to 4.

Something something incentive to buy lootboxes something.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Yeah well that is after the patch that removed lootboxes and reduced the number from 20 sieges to 4.

Something something lootboxes don't affect gameplay and we should all stop whining about them

:D

Not saying anyone here said that but BOY was it vindicating for the dev to flat-out admit that the game's balanced was fucked to incentivize purchasing lootboxes.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

And it felt like 100 sieges.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Yeah, what made the original version of Shadow Wars such a pain in the ass was, not only did you have to do 20 sieges - which, with 4 siegable zones, meant you getting hit with sieges in each location FIVE times - but the attacking orcs get higher level every few sieges, so I wound have having to level up my Fortress orcs at least twice, and there's no good way to level them.

You can send them to the pit, but they might die and then you're even further behind. (And your elites and legendaries were so rare, you wouldn't dare risk them in the pits.)

Also, you can level up any of your warchiefs: you have to demote them to regular captains first.

At this point you have to send them to potentially die in the pits, or send them on missions, which the only way you can manually create a mission is to send them after another orc, which I hope you haven't taken over every orc in the zone, because you can't send your orcs after your other orcs. It has to be blue against red.

And even if you DO manage to have enemy orcs to fight, the orc you want to level INVARIBLY has his own dumb mission to do, which he'll only get 1 level from instead of the 3-4 he'd get from fighting an enemy orc: AND THERE'S NO WAY TO CANCEL A FRIGGEN MISSION! So you have to go DO that mission first, and hope the game doesn't send him on ANOTHER one before you can set up a manual mission. I literally got into spots where the Orc I wanted to level just kept getting sent on these shitty slow missions, over and over again.

Now do this over and over until you hit the level cap. Then do all THAT over and over until you at least have the warchiefs level capped. Then come back and do that all again in 10 sieges.

Ugh, that was such a slog. In the new version, if you have the tribe DLC, there's a bunch of missions that just give you high level elites and legendaries like they are candy. It was trivial to stock up on decently leveled, high quality orcs to get me through those 5 sieges.

I think it took me 72 hours to 100% the main campaign when the game launched, including 20 hours in Shadow Wars. I did it the whole thing in like 35 hours in the new version.

Night and day, man.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah, Shadow of War being heavily patched to make it less garbage just means people are gonna play it and not understand what the hubbub was all about. Sorta like Mass Effect 3 before they tweaked the ending.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Elvenshae's Exploders have upped their game, and are now routinely taking 2.5-3 skull missions. We regularly take damage requiring mechbay time, but we have a stable of 8 medium mechs (+1 Quickdraw - can't find a configuration for it that I like though...) so we can rotate pretty well between system jumps. Pilot skills have come a long way as well, including both @Elvenshae and @3clipse getting targetted shot mastery (Tactics lvl 9), which should make headshotting heavy mechs easier and increase salvage.

We had a particularly bruising mission assaulting a Davion base. @cooljammer00 caught two full turns of turret fire, getting knocked down and losing most front armor. He'd retreated behind a hill to wait until it was building destroying time, but then a lance of reinforcements (Cicada, Quickdraw and Dragon) spawned behind him and he had to eject after losing an arm. Career first ejection!

3clipse, @Fanda and Elvenshae managed to finish off the first lance (3 Wolverines and a Quickdraw) and the turrets, and then blew up the base buildings. Then they limped around a mountain to the evac point rather than destroy the reinforcements. Nice work snatching victory from the jaws of reputation-losing withdrawal!

Here's how the team looked:
    W19HEhR.png

Tough battle, and cooljammer00 and Elvenshae return to medbay to keep @Mugsley, @Betsuni, @Kalnaur and @Polaritie company. With only 3clipse and Fanda uninjured, it may be time to add a couple recruits. Meet:

4LZlkcd.png
    @EvmaAlsar, and...

st0HFU1.png
    the pink-haired @Pixelated Pixie.

Welcome to the team, fellas.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Pakistan Mitchell is a fabulous name. :D

Woo! Looking forward to stompybotting!

I can't help but notice I'm paid less than the guy with the criminal background. I'm sure that's just a clerical error... :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Oh no, my robot shoulder groin and leg!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    How large is the Yakuza 0 download?

Does anybody know the answer?

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Pakistan Mitchell is a fabulous name. :D

Woo! Looking forward to stompybotting!

I can't help but notice I'm paid less than the guy with the criminal background. I'm sure that's just a clerical error... :lol:

It's because he was honest about it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Google says 26-28 gigs?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Look. I answered all of the questions to the best of my recollection.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Google says 26-28 gigs?

Ugh.

Thanks.

• Options
    I got @Karoz'd. With keys. In the Steam client.

Thanks for Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters Daybreak, Main Character Simulator (lol), Insurgence, and Inexplicable Geeks.

Jerk.

<3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    ogfdugojlsg6.png
    So I recently finished playing 428: Shibuya Scramble and I wanted to try and draw some attention to it here. It's gone pretty under the radar in general. Which isn't too surprising for a number of reasons. One, it is at its core a visual novel. You read it and watch it. Two, it's about 10 years old. Originally a Wii game in Japan it was never released in the US. Although it somewhat famously scored a 40/40 from Famitsu before that was no longer that big a deal. Three, and this is the big one, it's regular price is $50. That's gonna turn most people off right there. I picked it up for $30 on the fall sale and am pretty happy with that. For me personally, after the fact I probably would have been ok with the $50 even. But everyones mileage is gonna vary there. But it feels like they've picked a number that will ward off the curious.

I'm not a great reviewer, but I would like to address some of those hurdles because I really enjoyed the heck out of this game. My wife approves as well and wanted to know if there's any other games like this. The answer unfortunately is not really.
    It's definitely more than just a visual novel. The game is set to an immense amount of live action photographs. I would assume they basically filmed all these scenes and then used shots from that to use as the backgrounds. There's also a smattering of live action video throughout. There's no voice work, but a good amount of music that is used very well. The rapid transitions of the images and the music do a good job of keeping something that's just text coming up on the screen feel active.
    You experience the story from the perspective of five different main characters simultaneously. When the game starts you off and is just teaching you the ropes, it sticks to two characters. The plot unfolds in segments that cover an hour of time in the story.

Your first chunk of game represents 10am though 11am. As you play through a character you'll make a pretty large number of choices. These decisions can often lead to disaster for a character and you'll get a bad ending. But that's ok because they're almost always entertaining or informative to the overall story. Some text will show up highlighted in blue. You can pop into those to get some additional information. Like Shibuya might pop up early on highlighted and it'll tell you some details about that region of Tokyo and that the characters of its name sound like the numbers 428 in japanese, hence the title. Sometimes it's just a description of the term, sometimes it's some jokey fun, sometimes it's a recurring side story plot...
    You may hit a point where no matter what you choose you're just hitting a bad end. That's when you pop out to the timeline chart which lets you hop back to previous scenes and flip decisions around, and move over to a different character. Something they can do or not do is probably impacting the other timeline. As the game progresses and you have five different characters it can become a bit of a puzzle to figure out just what the right combination of actions is to get everyone successfully to the end of that hour and unlock the next one.

Let's see, the story. Without getting too spoilery, it begins because of a kidnapping. Your first character is a rookie detective watching a ransom exchange. Once he ends up trailing the ransom money your second character enters the picture, a local to the area who spends his days picking up litter to keep his town clean happens to see the aftermath of the ransom exchange. After that first hour you also end up playing a very determined freelance journalist, a scientist who seems on the verge of a nervous breakdown, and a person in a cat costume just trying to earn some money selling suspect diet supplements. There is a lot going on in this game, it manages to be humorous, dramatic, and suspenseful at different times. My final played time is around 40 hours but I'll say the game is probably about a 30 hour game. I spent most of it reading the text aloud which takes a good bit longer and we definitely left things running while taking breaks. Also there is a riduclous amount of post game unlockable stuff. So I spent a while on that as well. At no point did I think the game should hurry up and be over, we had a good time all the way through.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WAgYvOrQwc

Since I'm better at coming up with things I didn't like about something than I am explaining why I DO like something, here's my caveats:
    The tangle of timelines near the end can actually get to be pretty challenging and it maybe slowed us down a bit too much.
    It can be a bit sexist at times in the way something 10 years old and out of Japan might be, but nothing as extreme as stuff in 999 or Danganronpa.
    Similarly there's some running jokes about the diet supplement that are ehhhh.
    And finally this isn't really a complaint but I originally thought I may try and unlock all the extra bits, but there's too much of it. I gave up. I knew there was one more unlockable side thing I was curious about so I looked it up on youtube and the video was 40 minutes long.

Also @cj iwakura around the time of the games release put up a very nice thread about the game. I knew I wanted to get it, but held off till this past sale. He's got a full rundown of the different characters and screenshots of what everything looks like in action. Which actually still ends with my post about how I'm gonna check the game out sometime.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I wish they would make a futuristic Far Cry game - Imagine a huge open world with vehicles on Mars. They could even add environmental destruction so you could really cause some mayhem. Then they could make it third person so you could get a better sense of scale of the carnage you were causing. Add in a pseudo-political story about leading some sort of oppressed group in a revolution against the local government and presto.

So.....Borderlands 2?

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

So.....Borderlands 2?

uhhhhhh.....

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Moon. Mars. Whatever.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Hes describing Red Faction Guerilla.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Nuh-uh. "Rouge Contingent." Totally different.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    CorriganX wrote: »

I was gonna go with a "whoosh" gif up above... I should've. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    ogfdugojlsg6.png
    So I recently finished playing 428: Shibuya Scramble and I wanted to try and draw some attention to it here. It's gone pretty under the radar in general. Which isn't too surprising for a number of reasons. One, it is at its core a visual novel. You read it and watch it. Two, it's about 10 years old. Originally a Wii game in Japan it was never released in the US. Although it somewhat famously scored a 40/40 from Famitsu before that was no longer that big a deal. Three, and this is the big one, it's regular price is $50. That's gonna turn most people off right there. I picked it up for $30 on the fall sale and am pretty happy with that. For me personally, after the fact I probably would have been ok with the $50 even. But everyones mileage is gonna vary there. But it feels like they've picked a number that will ward off the curious.

I'm not a great reviewer, but I would like to address some of those hurdles because I really enjoyed the heck out of this game. My wife approves as well and wanted to know if there's any other games like this. The answer unfortunately is not really.
    It's definitely more than just a visual novel. The game is set to an immense amount of live action photographs. I would assume they basically filmed all these scenes and then used shots from that to use as the backgrounds. There's also a smattering of live action video throughout. There's no voice work, but a good amount of music that is used very well. The rapid transitions of the images and the music do a good job of keeping something that's just text coming up on the screen feel active.
    You experience the story from the perspective of five different main characters simultaneously. When the game starts you off and is just teaching you the ropes, it sticks to two characters. The plot unfolds in segments that cover an hour of time in the story.

Your first chunk of game represents 10am though 11am. As you play through a character you'll make a pretty large number of choices. These decisions can often lead to disaster for a character and you'll get a bad ending. But that's ok because they're almost always entertaining or informative to the overall story. Some text will show up highlighted in blue. You can pop into those to get some additional information. Like Shibuya might pop up early on highlighted and it'll tell you some details about that region of Tokyo and that the characters of its name sound like the numbers 428 in japanese, hence the title. Sometimes it's just a description of the term, sometimes it's some jokey fun, sometimes it's a recurring side story plot...
    You may hit a point where no matter what you choose you're just hitting a bad end. That's when you pop out to the timeline chart which lets you hop back to previous scenes and flip decisions around, and move over to a different character. Something they can do or not do is probably impacting the other timeline. As the game progresses and you have five different characters it can become a bit of a puzzle to figure out just what the right combination of actions is to get everyone successfully to the end of that hour and unlock the next one.

Let's see, the story. Without getting too spoilery, it begins because of a kidnapping. Your first character is a rookie detective watching a ransom exchange. Once he ends up trailing the ransom money your second character enters the picture, a local to the area who spends his days picking up litter to keep his town clean happens to see the aftermath of the ransom exchange. After that first hour you also end up playing a very determined freelance journalist, a scientist who seems on the verge of a nervous breakdown, and a person in a cat costume just trying to earn some money selling suspect diet supplements. There is a lot going on in this game, it manages to be humorous, dramatic, and suspenseful at different times. My final played time is around 40 hours but I'll say the game is probably about a 30 hour game. I spent most of it reading the text aloud which takes a good bit longer and we definitely left things running while taking breaks. Also there is a riduclous amount of post game unlockable stuff. So I spent a while on that as well. At no point did I think the game should hurry up and be over, we had a good time all the way through.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WAgYvOrQwc

Since I'm better at coming up with things I didn't like about something than I am explaining why I DO like something, here's my caveats:
    The tangle of timelines near the end can actually get to be pretty challenging and it maybe slowed us down a bit too much.
    It can be a bit sexist at times in the way something 10 years old and out of Japan might be, but nothing as extreme as stuff in 999 or Danganronpa.
    Similarly there's some running jokes about the diet supplement that are ehhhh.
    And finally this isn't really a complaint but I originally thought I may try and unlock all the extra bits, but there's too much of it. I gave up. I knew there was one more unlockable side thing I was curious about so I looked it up on youtube and the video was 40 minutes long.

Also @cj iwakura around the time of the games release put up a very nice thread about the game. I knew I wanted to get it, but held off till this past sale. He's got a full rundown of the different characters and screenshots of what everything looks like in action. Which actually still ends with my post about how I'm gonna check the game out sometime.

They did indeed film everything and used stills to make the VN. There's a great documentary about it, but sadly it's all Japanese.

Did you get the true ending? Also, the bonus Canaan scenario is fully voiced.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »

And even managed to do so without saying "space" or "asshole".

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Somehow I missed that Below was coming to Steam, so I was quite happy to stumble into this tweet that it's coming out in a week and a half for Xbox One and Steam. Below caught my eye when it was announced at Microsoft's E3 conference five years ago. I thought I'd eventually have to get an Xbox One to play it at the time. Fortunately, that is not the case!

At the time it was described as an "action adventure roguelike." Not sure if that still holds true. The trailer makes it look pretty slow, but also gives it a slight Hyper Light Drifter aesthetic.

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    They did indeed film everything and used stills to make the VN. There's a great documentary about it, but sadly it's all Japanese.
    When I looked up the MC ending video I saw the making of in the related section. It was late last night though, I was planning on looking to see if it were subtitled anywhere because I would find the making of it interesting. Might skim it even untranslated.
    As far as the other ending stuff
    I did see the True Ending, I gave up partway through unlocking all the other short stories and didn't look into what the conspiracy stuff involved. I think I'm full now and ready to move on. The True Ending was good to see and I thought the reveal of the Canaan episode was wild; but actually watching it, I found it pretty uninteresting. Like it's crazy that an entire other story is in there with her, but I thought it was pretty drawn out and meh. Which, it's extra stuff, so no real complaint.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

So.....Borderlands 2?

No it would be a good game.

• Options
    :bigfrown:

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So.... I really hope nobody bought the Collectors Edition of Fallout 76...
    the OP had pics up showing that he had access to all sorts of data, names, addresses, phone numbers, credit cards, pictures to prove the canvas bag refund, etc.
    Moderators had him pull the pics and are vouching that this thread is legit.
    edit** what i'm gathering is that if you submitted a ticket for getting the canvas bag, you now have access to every other support ticket and all the information on those and related to those tickets.

I just... I can't believe what a fucking dumpster fire this has become.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iZPeNIJzAo

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/a3ga47/i_am_getting_your_support_tickets_on_my_bethesda/

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I made the age old mistake of bringing up and expressing an interest in a game in chat.
    8nRqyVJ.jpg
    That interest being I wonder if that game will be good or terrible. So @Pixelated Pixie figured I should figure it out for myself. Thanks Pixie!
    The final episode of the series just launched. It looks like an interesting take on the Life is Strange/TellTale style conversational adventure games.
    Throwing in some RPG elements like leveling up and skill points.
    *pictured above is the city council of St Paul Minnesota.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    When I looked up the MC ending video I saw the making of in the related section. It was late last night though, I was planning on looking to see if it were subtitled anywhere because I would find the making of it interesting. Might skim it even untranslated.
    As far as the other ending stuff
    I did see the True Ending, I gave up partway through unlocking all the other short stories and didn't look into what the conspiracy stuff involved. I think I'm full now and ready to move on. The True Ending was good to see and I thought the reveal of the Canaan episode was wild; but actually watching it, I found it pretty uninteresting. Like it's crazy that an entire other story is in there with her, but I thought it was pretty drawn out and meh. Which, it's extra stuff, so no real complaint.

There's one bonus scenario about Achi's sister which is excellent.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    My pc has a bad fan on the back.

Wasted time after work getting too big a size

Sounds like angey crickets

5 gigs ram okay on a pc?

5 is really small, 8 is probably the lowest you'd want in a new build, and maybe upgrade that to 16 in a couple years

Big blue was bult in 2007

I beat skyrim on it.

Had not funeral and euro crisis transpired, i would be building a rig righy now out of new parts.....However, there is a repc near me...

• Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    So.... I really hope nobody bought the Collectors Edition of Fallout 76...
    the OP had pics up showing that he had access to all sorts of data, names, addresses, phone numbers, credit cards, pictures to prove the canvas bag refund, etc.
    Moderators had him pull the pics and are vouching that this thread is legit.
    edit** what i'm gathering is that if you submitted a ticket for getting the canvas bag, you now have access to every other support ticket and all the information on those and related to those tickets.

I just... I can't believe what a fucking dumpster fire this has become.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iZPeNIJzAo

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/a3ga47/i_am_getting_your_support_tickets_on_my_bethesda/

I'm sure a contractor did it.

steam_sig.png