Options

FINAL FANTASY FOURTEEN: tip to toe this is an ardbert

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    Speaking of run animations. I am completely in awe at the attention to detail in the various types of running animations.

Like, your default run animation is different from the sprint animation, which is also different from when you have a weapon out, with each weapon having a different run/walk animation.

That's crazy!

Yes. The weapon out run animations were added in Stormblood (aside from Rogue/Ninja, which was in place since the job was added during ARR), and even if some might look a bit silly, they really help me with immersion.

They also have unique animations for turning your character with the turning buttons instead of the camera. Most jobs aren't particularly interesting, but if you swap to RDM, and then turn left, and then turn right (not strafe), they are completely distinct poses. It's weiiiird. Why are they like that? I mean it's cool, but why put in that dev time?

Because Red Mage is just that flashy. Also, it looks like the two different turning animations are so the character could attack a target they're turning to face more easily or quickly. But thanks for pointing that out, it's actually pretty cool.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I mean yes, realistically it makes sense to have those poses, but if I'm designing an MMO like this, I'm not going to bother with two poses when I could find an adequate enough single pose to use.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Speaking of run animations. I am completely in awe at the attention to detail in the various types of running animations.

Like, your default run animation is different from the sprint animation, which is also different from when you have a weapon out, with each weapon having a different run/walk animation.

That's crazy!

Yes. The weapon out run animations were added in Stormblood (aside from Rogue/Ninja, which was in place since the job was added during ARR), and even if some might look a bit silly, they really help me with immersion.

They also have unique animations for turning your character with the turning buttons instead of the camera. Most jobs aren't particularly interesting, but if you swap to RDM, and then turn left, and then turn right (not strafe), they are completely distinct poses. It's weiiiird. Why are they like that? I mean it's cool, but why put in that dev time?

Because Red Mage is just that flashy. Also, it looks like the two different turning animations are so the character could attack a target they're turning to face more easily or quickly. But thanks for pointing that out, it's actually pretty cool.

Arguably (not to mention weridly), one of FF14's biggest selling points is actually it's sense of immersion - just look at the weather effects! So stuff like that helps

I always want to go shelter my giant roe girl under something when the heavy rain kicks in, and find my self shivering. It FEELS that wet/cold.

On this note: Femroes are the best, and any other choice is wrong. Cower before my 2.3 meter height, mortals!

(I once had a bunch of elzen worship me after a dungeon run i tanked as i was so much taller than them. Does get real werid when it's a whole squad of potatoes with me. Tank and protect them, not punt them... right?)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

That's crazy!

Arguably (not to mention weridly), one of FF14's biggest selling points is actually it's sense of immersion - just look at the weather effects! So stuff like that helps

I always want to go shelter my giant roe girl under something when the heavy rain kicks in, and find my self shivering. It FEELS that wet/cold.

On this note: Femroes are the best, and any other choice is wrong. Cower before my 2.3 meter height, mortals!

(I once had a bunch of elzen worship me after a dungeon run i tanked as i was so much taller than them. Does get real werid when it's a whole squad of potatoes with me. Tank and protect them, not punt them... right?)

Why not both?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    What should I generally be doing while levelling up? Is FFXIV similar to WoW, where more or less anything you might want to do while levelling is quicker/easier to just do once you're max, so just get to max before worrying about anything besides EXP?

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Finishing the Main Story Quests is the top priority since you can't skip it. You have to progress the story unless you use a micro-transaction item.

You follow the MSQ around and do all the sidequests you can to keep up with the MSQ level. If you ever run out of sidequests in a zone and are behind the MSQ level then you can do dungeons, do some Leve quests (they're dailies, but way more important for crafting jobs than combat jobs), or go to another zone and do sidequests there.

Oh and you need to go to your Job trainer do your Job quests every 5 (Vanilla) or 2 (Expansion) levels.

Also when you hit the end of vanilla and Heavensward you have to do some ilvl progression through dungeons to meet the ilvl requirements for the final sets of MSQs. Queues aren't terrible as dps since max level players have a daily queue for leveling dungeons, and you usually get carried through them pretty easily.

Edit: If you hit 51/61 before getting the needed ilvl to progress the MSQ, you can get items off the market to hit the ilvl reqs.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I'm about 6 levels ahead of the MSQ at this point, not sure how. I've done only minimal sidequests. FFXIV is my side project to WOW so I tend to have rested, I guess that'd be it.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    They adjusted the numbers for MSQ experience a while ago. If you have gear that gives a percentage bonus you're definitely going to be ahead of the curve.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Annnnd I got my first gold bun chest in Pyros last night. I thought about selling it for all of a second, but Eldthurs is best fire-bro.

izOQAGX.jpg

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    What should I generally be doing while levelling up? Is FFXIV similar to WoW, where more or less anything you might want to do while levelling is quicker/easier to just do once you're max, so just get to max before worrying about anything besides EXP?

A couple other tips -

Materia is essentially useless unless you're at the endgame. So, sell that shit on the market board.

The inverse of that is to not waste your money buying gear off the market board while you level. MSQs, sidequests, and dungeons all have the gear you need in order to progress. The only time buying gear off the board makes sense is when you reach max job level, your iLevel is somewhere around (going off current numbers) 290, and you don't want to waste literal days/weeks trying to grind out the tomes necessary to get up to around 380. In that case, spend your money on green gear on the board so you can go through the rest of the MSQs. By that point, you should have millions of gil, assuming you didn't spend on things that don't actually matter (housing, glamor gear, etc.).

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    And that there is a reason to miss PvP gear having stats. Back in 3.x you could just do PvP for leveling and then spend the wolf marks for armor good enough for MSQ stuff.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Hey, so how easy is this to pick up again? Little income and subscription games has never been the best combination for me, but that's about to change and I'd love to pick this back up as I had a ton of fun when I played it. Got a level 60 BLM with pretty good gear, if I remember correctly, and stopped playing right before Stormblood dropped.

I assume BLMs are still useful, because I enjoyed the class and don't want to change.

• Options
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    Hey, so how easy is this to pick up again? Little income and subscription games has never been the best combination for me, but that's about to change and I'd love to pick this back up as I had a ton of fun when I played it. Got a level 60 BLM with pretty good gear, if I remember correctly, and stopped playing right before Stormblood dropped.

I assume BLMs are still useful, because I enjoyed the class and don't want to change.

Good news! BLM is still at the top of the DPS charts.

It's probably a good time to pick the game back up, people are going to start resubbing to finish off Stormblood before Shadowbringers hits. 4.5 drops on Tuesday so we'll probably see an uptick in activity. You'll have more to get through since you're starting at the beginning of Stormblood but I imagine all the patch content should be fairly active leading up to the expansion.

• Options
    Kyanilis wrote: »

It's probably a good time to pick the game back up, people are going to start resubbing to finish off Stormblood before Shadowbringers hits. 4.5 drops on Tuesday so we'll probably see an uptick in activity. You'll have more to get through since you're starting at the beginning of Stormblood but I imagine all the patch content should be fairly active leading up to the expansion.

That's good to hear. I liked how accessible all the dungeons were, so with an influx of players for the new expansion, there should be plenty to do. I do imagine I'll have to make some lower-level dungeon runs just to remember what my control set-up used to be. And how to do the combos.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »

That's good to hear. I liked how accessible all the dungeons were, so with an influx of players for the new expansion, there should be plenty to do. I do imagine I'll have to make some lower-level dungeon runs just to remember what my control set-up used to be. And how to do the combos.

You're a BLM. The combo is real easy: Bliz3->(hit enochian) Thunder 3->Fire 3->Fire 4 twice/three times (based on spell speed. You want it to be 3 times)->Fire->repeat till OOM->Bliz 3 repeat.

At 70, you add Foul at when you swap back from fire to ice.

You can very much optimize and add more stuff in to min max it, but that's your basic rotation.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I played around with a few classes last night. Ended on wanting to get the arcanist up first.

Just need to catch it up level wise to the main story

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I would like to find a FC with a bunch of the boosts willing to let someone leveling hang out. Where is the normal place/chat to look for a FC?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I would like to find a FC with a bunch of the boosts willing to let someone leveling hang out. Where is the normal place/chat to look for a FC?

The information for the Penny Arcade FC is in the op, and it's definitely a pleasant place to hang out.

• Options
    Ohhh. I didn't realize that A. the FC was already on my server and B. server didn't matter much anyway.

Unfortunately no one seems to be on, or at least adding those names didn't work.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Ohhh. I didn't realize that A. the FC was already on my server and B. server didn't matter much anyway.

Unfortunately no one seems to be on, or at least adding those names didn't work.

A couple of them just came on, but it should be possible to apply to the FC and get accepted when someone has a look at it.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I hate to ask dumb questions, but how do you apply to an FC? Once I quit my old FC the command group is greyed out.

Character name: Umarth Stargazer

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    The way I found, find someone from the FC you want to join, right-click them, click Company Profile, then Submit Application.

• Options
    Solution woo.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I am out of the house at the moment. If it is GHOST you applied to, give me 15 to 20 minutes to get back and look at it.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Thanks. The non-forumer officer approved me. So yay, I'm in.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    So are yall excited for Tuesday? I am very curious how they're going to deliver us to the footsteps of the next expac this time.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I don't have any particular excitement over it, and am slightly annoyed that they chose my only (confirmed) day off I have this week to take the game offline for 24 hours.

• Options
    Tuesday will be cool to see some of the leadup but we all know all the cool stuff will be in 4.55.

Plus BLU isn't until next Tuesday. I'm excited to see the end of the Ivalice line, but that's about all I can say for this Tuesday.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I almost have arcanist caught up to where I am with the main story.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'm interested in where the story goes. The bulk of Stormblood was a slog for me to trudge through. I actually quit the game for something like 8-12 months because of it. Only the last patch felt like the game I enjoyed from 2.x through 3.x.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I've barely played since whichever patch had the first Eureka (I never did the MSQ portion of that patch though) stuff. I keep my sub because I always keep my sub. It's cheap enough and I only pay twice a year so I barely notice, and it's nice to have when I do feel like playing.

With the final major patch prior to the expansion coming though I will probably ramp up my playing as usual before an xpack. I only have a handful (NIN, ACN, MCH) of jobs not at 70 so it won't be the huge marathon like it was prior to Stormblood, when I didn't play for any of Heavensward prior, but I do have a good bit of catchup to do with questlines. Unsure if I'll bother much with the Eureka stuff, I suppose it depends on if 4.5/4.55 has any decent catchup stuff.

I don't even have a clue how the story goes from where last I played (I want to say the last MSQ story quest I did had a thing at the end where
    one of the ascians took the form of someone we don't get to see, in the empire
    ) to what I saw in the teaser for the expansion. Like, it doesn't even make sense from where the story was, at all.

So even though it seems the general feeling is that the last few patches story hasn't been anything super worthwhile, it should at least be helpful to have the teaser make a lick of sense.

Maybe?

:lol:

Besides, I've been hankering to play XIV again for a bit now anyway, but Destiny 2 has just been too consuming. I've barely played that the past two weeks though, so I think it's total dominance over me has broken, though I imagine I'll still do a handful of things as they are released each week.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Eureka holds zero interest for me. It was introduced so poorly at the time that I still think it is a convulated mess that punishes solo play. Maybe it is actually amazing now, I wouldn't know how to find out without spending days within it.

• Options
    People are down on the overall SB story but I feel like it wasn't bad. Just not as good as HW. It's hard to go from something that's really good to something that's mostly just "okay". With that being said, even in 4.4 there's a lot happening that's actually pretty cool and I think most people would agree that they're trying to finish on a strong note, at least.
    Aldo wrote: »
    Eureka holds zero interest for me. It was introduced so poorly at the time that I still think it is a convulated mess that punishes solo play. Maybe it is actually amazing now, I wouldn't know how to find out without spending days within it.

Eureka started off pretty weak, but the problem is you have to get through Anemos and Pagos to get to Pyros, where there's actually interesting mechanics. They're nerfing Pagos again with 4.5. Truth is though it's all group oriented, I mean, you don't really have to interact with people in groups but you definitely have to join them to do the NMs. You can do a little bit of solo grinding if you really want (I actually made it through most of Pagos this way since at lower levels it really really sucks) but it's not optimal.

It took me a few weeks of pretty consistently doing Eureka to catch up from Anemos to getting my Pyros weapon. Once you kind of get into the groove the grind is just that, a grind. It's not hard it just takes time. But Eureka shout can be entertaining sometimes so there's that.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
  • Options
    They're adding Mahjong... Like, the real deal. I am excited to learn that!

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Lots of great QoL stuff, I love this game!

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    As always with any 4.X patch notes, no changes to the bard in any way. Its been an interesting expansion in that regard. After the big shift from Bow-mage back to our true form they haven't done anything.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    McMoogle wrote: »
    As always with any 4.X patch notes, no changes to the bard in any way. Its been an interesting expansion in that regard. After the big shift from Bow-mage back to our true form they haven't done anything.

I think they upped one skill with 10 potency? I think that they can't really change anything as long as MCH is in such a weak spot by comparison.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    ...they put it in. The Gold Saucer coaster shooting game, from FFVII.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    There's a lot to like about this patch for side content. Two new minigames at the saucer is nice.

I'm still amazed at them putting in Mahjong.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
This discussion has been closed.