As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I gotta say, what Pettine has managed to do with the Packers's Defense this year with the amount of injuries is pretty impressive. They've got some scrubs, some old dudes, a few rookies and basically a child's wish upon a star and they still seem better than under Capers.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Posted in the wrong thread but the Ravens Chiefs game is pretty good. Lamar looking good, still too much running for me but passes looking good.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Please tell me this isn't real.

I mean, they're kicking Atlanta's ass, but still...

• Options
    Also, gotta say that Jay Gruden and the Washington front office choosing Sanchez over Kaepernick is paying dividends, obviously.

Not saying he'd have won this game for them, but you can't really play any fucking worse, can you? At home. Against the Giants?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Please tell me this isn't real.

I mean, they're kicking Atlanta's ass, but still...

Fuck it! Let's do this!

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    They were actually good challenges too. I mean they didn't get them but they should have. Especially the first one

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Gregg Williams Brownsing it up. Up 3, PAT to go up 4.

The PAT is good! Flag on the play.
    "The Browns accept the penalty, and elect to re-kick the PAT"
    PAT doinks off the upright.

WTF?

• Options
    BWAAAAHAHAHAHA!

Miami doing the multi-lateral no time left, 69yd to go bullshit "Ehh, it's not going to mean shit", wait, what just happened?

Miami win!

Nothing else matters.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Watson needs to realize you can't keep dropping back 10 yards and trying to make things happen, so many downs were lost due to him basically. He's got the physical skills but he needs to work on the head skills because the Colts' d-line was just running back there to meet him and he was basically giving them a free advantage to the play.

It should have been a victory, but you can't really knock 9 wins in a row, just as long as next week starts another 9 win streak

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    BWAAAAHAHAHAHA!

Miami doing the multi-lateral no time left, 69yd to go bullshit "Ehh, it's not going to mean shit", wait, what just happened?

Miami win!

Nothing else matters.

Nice.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    BWAAAAHAHAHAHA!

Miami win!

Nothing else matters.

What's hilarious is that, about 5 minutes before that, Mahones throws an amazing 48 yard on the run cross-body pass on 4 & 9 to keep the Chiefs in the game, and the commentators were gushing about how it was one of the best plays they've seen and that it's going to dominate the highlight reels.

Then they hear about that, and the response was basically:

"Well, I guess we only got the second most amazing play of the day."

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    They were actually good challenges too. I mean they didn't get them but they should have. Especially the first one

This. Especially the first one. That wasn't a catch, I was really surprised they didn't overturn it.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I dunno, Denver, maybe cover the only receiving target the Niners have. (TE Kittle with 210 receiving yards at half).

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Lions and Cards is absolutely enthralling at the half. 3-0 Detroit.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    I see that Satan has decided to remind Bill Belichick who is in charge of their relationship.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    BWAAAAHAHAHAHA!

Miami win!

Nothing else matters.

How do we manage to split the series with NE every year and how are we still in the playoff hunt?

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I only saw highlights but it looked like tana hill looked pretty good. Every time I'm down on the guy he has a good game that makes me think he is a starting qb.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    This is an incredibly plausible scenario that a friend of mine brought to my attention:

Browns
    Week 15 v Broncos - W
    16 v Bengals - W
    17 v Ravens - W
    Final record: 8-7-1, 4-1-1 div, 6-5-1 conf

Ravens
    15 v Bucs - W
    16 v Chargers - L
    17 v Browns - L
    8-8

Steelers
    15 v Pats - L
    16 v Saints - L
    17 v Bengals - W
    8-7-1, 4-1-1 div, 5-6-1 conf

Browns win the North

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Incredibly plausible? Except for the part where the Browns win 3 games in a row.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Yes that was a slip...I’m still at getting excited at the Browns plausibly winning any game

That being said, look at those schedules...

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    ...also the Browns lose the division on the H2H tiebreaker in that scenario since they went 0-1-1 vs the Steelers.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Heir wrote: »

This. Especially the first one. That wasn't a catch, I was really surprised they didn't overturn it.

Even losing the challenges were a win. They got the crowd into the game right away, and I think it put some fire into the players.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    If I didn't bite on the Chargers and Steelers both I'd have locked in my win for my pick league already.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »
    ...also the Browns lose the division on the H2H tiebreaker in that scenario since they went 0-1-1 vs the Steelers.

They still have what it takes to play down to the Bungles, however.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    This is an incredibly plausible scenario that a friend of mine brought to my attention:

Browns
    Week 15 v Broncos - W
    16 v Bengals - W
    17 v Ravens - W
    Final record: 8-7-1, 4-1-1 div, 6-5-1 conf

Ravens
    15 v Bucs - W
    16 v Chargers - L
    17 v Browns - L
    8-8

Steelers
    15 v Pats - L
    16 v Saints - L
    17 v Bengals - W
    8-7-1, 4-1-1 div, 5-6-1 conf

Browns win the North

First tiebreaker is head to head, which Steelers win 1-0-1.

Common opponents also comes before conference record for division tiebreakers.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Browns are definitely fun now and verging on kind of good.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I think Chicago has a pretty good defense.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Bears just beat the Rams and are now tied with them on point differential.

It's too late now, but they've had some unlucky bounces and sequencing to have four losses already. There's some alternate universes where the same team is very much in the hunt for a bye. Either way, they're the divisional-round matchup that neither the Saints nor Rams want.

• Options
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Bears just beat the Rams and are now tied with them on point differential.

It's too late now, but they've had some unlucky bounces and sequencing to have four losses already. There's some alternate universes where the same team is very much in the hunt for a bye. Either way, they're the divisional-round matchup that neither the Saints nor Rams want.

I was gonna say the Rams would want a rematch on their home turf...but then I remembered they don’t have any.

But yeah, 2 OT losses, a close-ish loss to the Pats, and a dropped easy pick 6 in week 1 that (I think) would have sealed the win.

• Options
    Did the Bears just clinch a playoff spot, or is there some weird scenario where they'd lose out on a tiebreaker to one of the 6-7 teams if they win out and the Bears lose out?

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Did the Bears just clinch a playoff spot, or is there some weird scenario where they'd lose out on a tiebreaker to one of the 6-7 teams if they win out and the Bears lose out?

The Vikings are only 1-loss back, so the Vikings could win the division outright.

• Options
    kilnborn wrote: »

The Vikings are only 1-loss back, so the Vikings could win the division outright.

That's not relevant to playoff spot, though. Only the Seahawks and Vikings could pass them, which would leave them in the 6 spot even if they lost out.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

That's not relevant to playoff spot, though. Only the Seahawks and Vikings could pass them, which would leave them in the 6 spot even if they lost out.

If the Vikings win out and the Bears lose out, then the Vikings take the division and the Bears are relegated to fighting for a wild card. Then if the Panthers, Eagles, and/or Redskins win out they all finish at 9-7, and then it's up to tiebreakers. Bears might still make it on tiebreakers, but someone would have to do the calculations.

hippofant on
  • Options
    I’m assuming they don’t hold tiebreakers at the moment in the event of a 9-7 logjam.

At this point any 2 Bears wins and/or Vikings losses clinches the North.

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

If the Vikings win out and the Bears lose out, then the Vikings take the division and the Bears are relegated to fighting for a wild card. Then if the Panthers, Eagles, and/or Redskins win out they all finish at 9-7, and then it's up to tiebreakers. Bears might still make it on tiebreakers, but someone would have to do the calculations.

As of right now, it's possible the Bears could miss the playoffs. It's just extremely unlikely.

• Options
    From my calculation, the only way at this point the Bears don't make the playoffs is if they lose out, the Redskins win out, and the Eagles and Panthers don't win out. Bears win a tiebreaker with Eagles or Panthers involved, but lose a 2-way tiebreaker with Redskins based on common opponents tiebreaker.

So...it's not 100% but it's darn near close.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    From my calculation, the only way at this point the Bears don't make the playoffs is if they lose out, the Redskins win out, and the Eagles and Panthers don't win out. Bears win a tiebreaker with Eagles or Panthers involved, but lose a 2-way tiebreaker with Redskins based on common opponents tiebreaker.

I'm not sure. I'll say that the official standings and television shows and such often don't have the tiebreakers figured out immediately. If it turns out the tiebreakers all break for the Bears, we'll probably hear about it later this week when they work it all out.

Also, remember that multiple-team tiebreakers are NOT the same as multiple head-to-head tiebreakers. A different set of rules are engaged, so even if the Bears hold head-to-head tiebreakers over the Eagles and Panthers, if there's a logjam, there is a possibility that the Eagles or Panthers might come out of it and not the Bears.

hippofant on
  • Options

I'm not sure. I'll say that the official standings and television shows and such often don't have the tiebreakers figured out immediately. If it turns out the tiebreakers all break for the Bears, we'll probably hear about it later this week when they work it all out.

Also, remember that multiple-team tiebreakers are NOT the same as multiple head-to-head tiebreakers. A different set of rules are engaged, so even if the Bears hold head-to-head tiebreakers over the Eagles and Panthers, if there's a logjam, there is a possibility that the Eagles or Panthers might come out of it and not the Bears.

Multiple team tiebreakers will bypass the common opponents tiebreaker, which is the only one the Bears lose to the Redskins. A 3-team tiebreaker goes by conference record, which the Bears can do no worse than tie, then strength of victory, which the Bears lead handily right now thanks to tonight.

So, the only situation in which the Bears don't make the playoffs involves the Bears losing out, the Vikings and Seahawks passing them, the Eagles and Panthers losing at least once, and the Redskins winning out.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

Multiple team tiebreakers will bypass the common opponents tiebreaker, which is the only one the Bears lose to the Redskins. A 3-team tiebreaker goes by conference record, which the Bears can do no worse than tie, then strength of victory, which the Bears lead handily right now thanks to tonight.

So, the only situation in which the Bears don't make the playoffs involves the Bears losing out, the Vikings and Seahawks passing them, the Eagles and Panthers losing at least once, and the Redskins winning out.

So I was tinkering around on the ESPN playoff machine cause why not and it gives it as slightly more likely than this. The tie break it gives that put Washington above the Panthers and Bears is win percentage against common opponents. All academic as the highly specific scenario needed to lock them out just ain't happening.

• Options
    Also, gotta say that Jay Gruden and the Washington front office choosing Sanchez over Kaepernick is paying dividends, obviously.

Not saying he'd have won this game for them, but you can't really play any fucking worse, can you? At home. Against the Giants?

Just heard Sanchez had a 0.0 passer rating for that game.

So the answer would be a resounding "No".