Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[NFL] Thread: Something Something Kyler Murray Reference Something

1151618202145

Posts

  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I would be more likely to buy an argument that So-and-so Whitecoach was the best choice if they weren't constantly recycling failures like Adam Gase.

    PreacherRedTideBlackDragon480A Dabble Of TheloniusBobbletinwhiskersTicaldfjamH3KnucklesTransporter
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I would be more likely to buy an argument that So-and-so Whitecoach was the best choice if they weren't constantly recycling failures like Adam Gase.

    Well its like all the QBs that get a chance over Kaepernick despite it being awful everytime. The NFL has outward racism with regards to the kneeling moment, its not hard to believe shocking that racism would come into coach hiring.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I am shocked to find that gambling is going on here.

    PreacherA Dabble Of TheloniusTicaldfjam
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Dominique Foxworth has a really good article on The Undefeated about this. In particular on how fucking terrible the Kingsbury hire is, even by the low NFL standards.

  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Actually, Belichick worked his way up from college. He was a college coach who Parcells got hired to coach the secondary of the Giants when Parcells became their defensive coordinator.

    He still benefited from having Steve Belichick as his father.

    That opened doors for him along the way, until he had made enough of his own reputation to work with that.

    Dinosaurs were made up by the CIA to discourage time travel.
    PreacherElvenshaeTicaldfjam
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I would be more likely to buy an argument that So-and-so Whitecoach was the best choice if they weren't constantly recycling failures like Adam Gase.

    I don't think Gase is a failure anymore than Todd Bowles. They were both set up by their employers to fail and both deserve another shot. That's not a defense of NFL owners, they are racist for sure. Just a defense of Gase, who got a raw deal.

  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 10
    Dallas sportscaster and national treasure Dale Hansen says what we're all thinking:


    "Kingsbury fits all the criteria to be a head coach in the NFL: He's an offensive genius, he's young — and he's white, and not necessarily in that order."

    WFAA is a broadcast station in Dallas.

    It surprises me a bit you left this out:
    The Cowboys coach Jason Garrett is in his ninth year — apparently because he wins so much.

    Santa Claustrophobia on
    Ticaldfjam
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Dallas sportscaster and national treasure Dale Hansen says what we're all thinking:


    "Kingsbury fits all the criteria to be a head coach in the NFL: He's an offensive genius, he's young — and he's white, and not necessarily in that order."

    WFAA is a broadcast station in Dallas.

    It surprises me a bit you left this out:
    The Cowboys coach Jason Garrett is in his ninth year — apparently because he wins so much.

    I mean this isn't the greatest year to rag on him considering he's in round two of the playoffs.

  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Dallas sportscaster and national treasure Dale Hansen says what we're all thinking:


    "Kingsbury fits all the criteria to be a head coach in the NFL: He's an offensive genius, he's young — and he's white, and not necessarily in that order."

    WFAA is a broadcast station in Dallas.

    It surprises me a bit you left this out:
    The Cowboys coach Jason Garrett is in his ninth year — apparently because he wins so much.

    I mean this isn't the greatest year to rag on him considering he's in round two of the playoffs.

    Garrett is in the second round because Janikowski is old.

  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Dallas sportscaster and national treasure Dale Hansen says what we're all thinking:


    "Kingsbury fits all the criteria to be a head coach in the NFL: He's an offensive genius, he's young — and he's white, and not necessarily in that order."

    WFAA is a broadcast station in Dallas.

    It surprises me a bit you left this out:
    The Cowboys coach Jason Garrett is in his ninth year — apparently because he wins so much.

    I mean this isn't the greatest year to rag on him considering he's in round two of the playoffs.

    Garrett is in the second round because Janikowski is old.

    Sure, the other team has to lose in order for one team to win. I don't like Garrett at all as a coach, but its hard to say he's bad when his team is where it is.

  • Temporal ParadoxTemporal Paradox Registered User regular
    His team is where it is because Washington broke 2 quarterbacks pretty bad.

    RedTideTrajan45ElvenshaeMorganVchrono_travellerTransporterNirya
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited January 11
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Actually, Belichick worked his way up from college. He was a college coach who Parcells got hired to coach the secondary of the Giants when Parcells became their defensive coordinator.

    Nope BB never coached in college. Colts, Lions, Broncos then Giants. Got the first job because his father was a very famous scout

    edit
    Also Parcells didn't hire him, Ray Perkins did.

    PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Dallas sportscaster and national treasure Dale Hansen says what we're all thinking:


    "Kingsbury fits all the criteria to be a head coach in the NFL: He's an offensive genius, he's young — and he's white, and not necessarily in that order."

    WFAA is a broadcast station in Dallas.

    It surprises me a bit you left this out:
    The Cowboys coach Jason Garrett is in his ninth year — apparently because he wins so much.

    I mean this isn't the greatest year to rag on him considering he's in round two of the playoffs.

    Garrett is in the second round because Janikowski is old.

    Sure, the other team has to lose in order for one team to win. I don't like Garrett at all as a coach, but its hard to say he's bad when his team is where it is.

    It is easy to break a team's success down into other teams failing to beat them, but rarely does it feel as right to do as it does with a Garrett coached Cowboys.

    AngelHedgie
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Dallas sportscaster and national treasure Dale Hansen says what we're all thinking:


    "Kingsbury fits all the criteria to be a head coach in the NFL: He's an offensive genius, he's young — and he's white, and not necessarily in that order."

    WFAA is a broadcast station in Dallas.

    It surprises me a bit you left this out:
    The Cowboys coach Jason Garrett is in his ninth year — apparently because he wins so much.

    I mean this isn't the greatest year to rag on him considering he's in round two of the playoffs.

    Garrett is in the second round because Janikowski is old.

    Sure, the other team has to lose in order for one team to win. I don't like Garrett at all as a coach, but its hard to say he's bad when his team is where it is.

    It is easy to break a team's success down into other teams failing to beat them, but rarely does it feel as right to do as it does with a Garrett coached Cowboys.

    Jason Garrett is the Marv Lewis of Dallas.

  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I was just told by one source about a half hour ago that the #Bengals are planning to name Zac Taylor as their Head Coach (after playoffs of course). I'm told by the same source that Troy and Katie made the call. Stay tuned.
    Elise Jesse - Sports Anchor/Reporter for WLWT, Cincinnati.
    Zac Taylor is the Qb coach for the Rams.

    TFEOM_banner.jpg
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    I was just told by one source about a half hour ago that the #Bengals are planning to name Zac Taylor as their Head Coach (after playoffs of course). I'm told by the same source that Troy and Katie made the call. Stay tuned.
    Elise Jesse - Sports Anchor/Reporter for WLWT, Cincinnati.
    Zac Taylor is the Qb coach for the Rams.

    A GIS shows he's the right color for the position.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    GyralTicaldfjam
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »
    I was just told by one source about a half hour ago that the #Bengals are planning to name Zac Taylor as their Head Coach (after playoffs of course). I'm told by the same source that Troy and Katie made the call. Stay tuned.
    Elise Jesse - Sports Anchor/Reporter for WLWT, Cincinnati.
    Zac Taylor is the Qb coach for the Rams.

    A GIS shows he's the right color for the position.

    While I do find the joke funny, it's hard to rag on the Bengals of all teams for institutional racism. They could have easily axed Marvin Lewis at least 4 other times in the last 10 years, and didn't.

    Cause don't get me wrong, Marvin Lewis doesn't appear to have been a great coach, and the retention of both Pacman Jones and Vontaze Burfict long past when they should have been cut/traded, shows he wasn't a moral leader either, but it's not like Mike Brown didn't give him his chances. And given the other coach openly considered for the job this year (Hue Brown), it's hard to say picking someone from an offense as strong at times (they've faded off a bit IMO) as the Rams is a bad option.

  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Does McVay need his lawn mowed or car washed or anything of the sort? I would be willing to do those things for a year so I could get HC job next year.

    How do you spell Justice?B D S Non-Violent Resistance to Israel Apartheid & Occupation.
    Bobble
  • A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Dallas sportscaster and national treasure Dale Hansen says what we're all thinking:


    "Kingsbury fits all the criteria to be a head coach in the NFL: He's an offensive genius, he's young — and he's white, and not necessarily in that order."

    WFAA is a broadcast station in Dallas.

    It surprises me a bit you left this out:
    The Cowboys coach Jason Garrett is in his ninth year — apparently because he wins so much.

    I mean this isn't the greatest year to rag on him considering he's in round two of the playoffs.

    Garrett is in the second round because Janikowski is old.

    Nah. Garrett is in the second round because his opponent was trying to run into a brick wall over and over, thinking, "Yes! This time should do it!"

    Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
    Shadowhope
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »
    I was just told by one source about a half hour ago that the #Bengals are planning to name Zac Taylor as their Head Coach (after playoffs of course). I'm told by the same source that Troy and Katie made the call. Stay tuned.
    Elise Jesse - Sports Anchor/Reporter for WLWT, Cincinnati.
    Zac Taylor is the Qb coach for the Rams.

    A GIS shows he's the right color for the position.

    While I do find the joke funny, it's hard to rag on the Bengals of all teams for institutional racism. They could have easily axed Marvin Lewis at least 4 other times in the last 10 years, and didn't.

    Cause don't get me wrong, Marvin Lewis doesn't appear to have been a great coach, and the retention of both Pacman Jones and Vontaze Burfict long past when they should have been cut/traded, shows he wasn't a moral leader either, but it's not like Mike Brown didn't give him his chances. And given the other coach openly considered for the job this year (Hue Brown), it's hard to say picking someone from an offense as strong at times (they've faded off a bit IMO) as the Rams is a bad option.

    The Bengals history here is what makes this one a gut punch though. I had hope!

    The NFL fired 5 black coaches and 1 black GM and not a single new HC or GM is a person of color.

    The people who were hired to replace them are:
    TV analyst (Mayock)
    Losing coach of a low end B12 program (KK who coaches the Ks)
    A 60 year old first time HC (Fangio)
    FotM offensive dude and honestly? Goff isn’t that good (Taylor)
    Internal promotion who has great rapport with new franchise QB but has no HC experience (Kitchens)
    Apparently emotionally unstable AFCE retread who is loathed by his players (Gase)

    These teams may not be trying to be directly racist, but by being directly stupid they are perpetuating the issue.

    BobblePreacher
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah its not to say the Bengals should have kept on Lewis he was obviously a bad coach regardless of color. But that they fired a black head coach and replaced him with a white one is the problem. Especially when that's exactly what the rest of the league is doing too.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I think in Cincinatti's case it's a bit unfair to tar them for replacing Lewis with a white coach. Statistically, that was the most likely outcome.

    It doesn't help and still adds to the problem, though.

  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah its not to say the Bengals should have kept on Lewis he was obviously a bad coach regardless of color. But that they fired a black head coach and replaced him with a white one is the problem. Especially when that's exactly what the rest of the league is doing too.

    It's silly in any circumstance to throw shit at Cincinnati for this, at least this year.

    My big hang-up is that now only did everyone pass on hiring a person of color, I think a whole bunch of them didn't even interview one.

    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah its not to say the Bengals should have kept on Lewis he was obviously a bad coach regardless of color. But that they fired a black head coach and replaced him with a white one is the problem. Especially when that's exactly what the rest of the league is doing too.

    Lewis was not a bad coach. He was an average coach. He went 131-122-3 over sixteen years. He had six seasons with a losing record, seven with a winning record, and three where he went 8-8. He did it while playing in a division that generally had two perennial playoff contenders (and one punching bag). He could do a perfectly serviceable job every year. He couldn't elevate a team.

    For all that people complain about the likes of Mike Tomlin, Mike McCarthy, Sean Payton, Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, and Pete Carroll, they're all at least 32 wins over .500 over their careers, which is damn hard. Lewis isn't on their tier, but he's not terrible.

    Dinosaurs were made up by the CIA to discourage time travel.
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah its not to say the Bengals should have kept on Lewis he was obviously a bad coach regardless of color. But that they fired a black head coach and replaced him with a white one is the problem. Especially when that's exactly what the rest of the league is doing too.

    Lewis was not a bad coach. He was an average coach. He went 131-122-3 over sixteen years. He had six seasons with a losing record, seven with a winning record, and three where he went 8-8. He did it while playing in a division that generally had two perennial playoff contenders (and one punching bag). He could do a perfectly serviceable job every year. He couldn't elevate a team.

    For all that people complain about the likes of Mike Tomlin, Mike McCarthy, Sean Payton, Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, and Pete Carroll, they're all at least 32 wins over .500 over their careers, which is damn hard. Lewis isn't on their tier, but he's not terrible.

    The biggest knock against Lewis is that he apparently helped create a pretty toxic culture that let guys like Pac man and Burfict thrive.

    Also of that list you put out, only Harbaugh has seen mediocre quarterbacks on his roster the majority of his time as a head coach.

    Four of them have coached likely future hall of famers during the bulk of their tenure. Andy Reid has had McNabb and Mahomes and a few guys at least as good as Flacco.

    Lewis has had bad injury luck at the position and middling talent.

    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    How about this for a scenario: Should the LA Chargers and Indianapolis both win, the AFCCG will be played at StubHub.

    H3KnucklesTheBlackWindchrono_travellermcdermott
  • kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    ...
    How about this for a scenario: Should the LA Chargers and Indianapolis both win, the AFCCG will be played at StubHub.

    In front of 27,000 screaming Colts fans.

    PreacherH3Knuckles
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I'm sure Roger and the league are "Asses-a-clenched" at the thought.

    TFEOM_banner.jpg
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah its not to say the Bengals should have kept on Lewis he was obviously a bad coach regardless of color. But that they fired a black head coach and replaced him with a white one is the problem. Especially when that's exactly what the rest of the league is doing too.

    It's silly in any circumstance to throw shit at Cincinnati for this, at least this year.

    My big hang-up is that now only did everyone pass on hiring a person of color, I think a whole bunch of them didn't even interview one.

    Well the Browns interviewed Jim Caldwell so...

    Ugh

  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah its not to say the Bengals should have kept on Lewis he was obviously a bad coach regardless of color. But that they fired a black head coach and replaced him with a white one is the problem. Especially when that's exactly what the rest of the league is doing too.

    It's silly in any circumstance to throw shit at Cincinnati for this, at least this year.

    My big hang-up is that now only did everyone pass on hiring a person of color, I think a whole bunch of them didn't even interview one.

    Well the Browns interviewed Jim Caldwell so...

    Ugh

    I think he’s a good coach! Or at least one that can steady a team notorious for being bad

  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Denver OC Gary Kubiak is now former OC Gary Kubiak. It appears that what he wanted to do was not what the team wanted to do.

    Former Denver OC Gary Kubiak is still under contract as part of player personnel.

    Denver GM John Elway still doesn't know what he is doing.

    PreacherBlackDragon480
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Denver OC Gary Kubiak is now former OC Gary Kubiak. It appears that what he wanted to do was not what the team wanted to do.

    Former Denver OC Gary Kubiak is still under contract as part of player personnel.

    Denver GM John Elway still doesn't know what he is doing.

    I haven't really followed the Broncos that much, but outside of being hired a couple months before they drafted Von Miller, and arguably being the one to hire Peyton Manning, has Elway done anything else of note in his 8 years in the position? Cause all I see are a bunch of busted draft choices, bad coaching decisions, and little to justify his position.

    Is it just nostalgia that keeps him in the job?

    RickRudeBobble
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Most definitely

    Elvenshae
  • kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Denver OC Gary Kubiak is now former OC Gary Kubiak. It appears that what he wanted to do was not what the team wanted to do.

    Former Denver OC Gary Kubiak is still under contract as part of player personnel.

    Denver GM John Elway still doesn't know what he is doing.

    I haven't really followed the Broncos that much, but outside of being hired a couple months before they drafted Von Miller, and arguably being the one to hire Peyton Manning, has Elway done anything else of note in his 8 years in the position? Cause all I see are a bunch of busted draft choices, bad coaching decisions, and little to justify his position.

    Is it just nostalgia that keeps him in the job?

    Won a Suberb Owl. I mean, it's right there.

  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    kilnborn wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Denver OC Gary Kubiak is now former OC Gary Kubiak. It appears that what he wanted to do was not what the team wanted to do.

    Former Denver OC Gary Kubiak is still under contract as part of player personnel.

    Denver GM John Elway still doesn't know what he is doing.

    I haven't really followed the Broncos that much, but outside of being hired a couple months before they drafted Von Miller, and arguably being the one to hire Peyton Manning, has Elway done anything else of note in his 8 years in the position? Cause all I see are a bunch of busted draft choices, bad coaching decisions, and little to justify his position.

    Is it just nostalgia that keeps him in the job?

    Won a Suberb Owl. I mean, it's right there.

    I was gonna point out that that didn't help the jobs of the coaching staffs, then I remembered that was Kubiak and his own withdrawal.

    Which makes the whole current status of Kubiak all the more weird.

  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 12
    So.

    Anybody need a seasoned, veteran LB to lead and mentor their defense for a couple of years?



    I thought that was, like, one of the reasons we fired our GM, but, cool. Cool cool cool.

    Tox on
    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 12
    MorganV wrote: »
    Denver OC Gary Kubiak is now former OC Gary Kubiak. It appears that what he wanted to do was not what the team wanted to do.

    Former Denver OC Gary Kubiak is still under contract as part of player personnel.

    Denver GM John Elway still doesn't know what he is doing.

    I haven't really followed the Broncos that much, but outside of being hired a couple months before they drafted Von Miller, and arguably being the one to hire Peyton Manning, has Elway done anything else of note in his 8 years in the position? Cause all I see are a bunch of busted draft choices, bad coaching decisions, and little to justify his position.

    Is it just nostalgia that keeps him in the job?

    Packers stayed with Bart Starr as head coach for like a decade of terrible in the late 70's and early 80's. I wouldn't be shocked if Denver catches on that Elway is their problem for a couple years.

    Veevee on
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    Snow
    Fucking
    Game

    Hell yeah

    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    ShadowhopeBobble
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Elway basically owns enough of Colorado to do whatever he wants. If he wanted to be a self appointed governor of the state, no one would stop him. Best to keep him busy as GM instead.

    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Watkins in, Berry and Ware still out for the Chiefs.

    I've got the fear in me. Goddammit, Chiefs, break this stupid slump.

    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    Xantomas
Sign In or Register to comment.