As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I had talked myself into him pre draft. I too am guilty of forgetting that like all but 2 USC QB starters since the 60s have been drafted and only ONE hasn’t been total shit (Carson Palmer)

It’s like 1 good/18 poo

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    That’s related to my “Never draft a Florida QB” rule.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    That's still a big problem with not just them. Any program with a significant or at least current level of dominance fools people into thinking that all players produced will be high quality studs.

Or that only so-called major programs can. The knock against Josh Allen shouldn't be that he came from Wyoming, it should be that he wasn't dominant amongst Mountain West QBs.

Also, no. Don't draft USC QBs.

The big thing that was against Rodgers was that Tedford never produced a high quality QB. Which is a bit similar to why Mahomes wasn't drafted higher. They felt his college style couldn't adapt or nobody wanted to try. He wasn't their kind of QB, so he would be a failure. Reid can't manage a clock, but he can gameplan like Superman.

And Kaep wouldn't fit in at Washington (or anywhere else) because...he runs around too much...

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    There are so many factors that go into whether a QB will be good or not, it's really hard to compare one to another or predict success. Coaching plays a big role, we've seen time an again dumb coaches that drag their heels in and force the QB to play in a way that doesn't complement their skill set. Mayfield is a recent example, look how well he's doing post Hugh/Haley.

Another is the overall team strength. All of last years first round picks were drafted to teams that were either pretty good already or improved a ton in the off season. Both Watson and Trubisky have top tier defenses. Mahomes has more weapons than just about any other team. The Browns have talent on both sides of the ball. The Jet's have pretty much nothing in the way of talent, while both the Cards and Bill have good defenses but bad offenses.

Another factor is a QB's "mental" state. How well do they pick up on concepts, how well do can they apply them in a pressure moment, do they spend extra time in the film room, etc. This is almost always something that comes up with QB's that succeed as a lower draft pick. Brady's love of film study has been talked about a ton. You'd read about Kirk Cousins putting in extra time. I know nothing about scouting so I have no idea how hard it is to identify college QB's that have that extra motivation.

It's just such a crap shoot. Would Tom Brady be Tom Brady if he had been drafted by another team?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I think the, like, perfect scenario for a QB to succeed would basically be what they have to do in College ball:
    1: A team with a reliable and good ("franchise") quarterback who is 2-3 years away from retiring/leaving/falling off (Or in this case, leaving college/eligibility)
    2: A team that is willing to put the backup QB in if games aren't close, but still mainly lean on their old QB
    3: An understanding that the new QB needs to be putting in the theory work/film stuff since they're not just focused on playing
    4: Not be from USC.

The problem is that the high-draft QBs aren't going to teams where that's a possibility. The teams that go first-round are almost exclusively dependent on being able to build a team around the star talent that they've gotten. So these entry QBs never get a chance to see what the NFL is like without also needing to try to carry all the pressure on their own shoulders. Also teams keep drafting USC QBs, which... don't.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Will Grier is your project/high risk QB that will end up being good in this draft, for the record.
    -a college football fan

(Assuming he's not on steroids anymore, or at least knows how to not get caught)

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Oh fuck, yeah Grier.

The only schools to have more than 1 QB starter as of opening day were Cal and....Delaware...at 2 each

USC had 2 this past week and 4 this year and Barkley and Kessler were the least butt.

There’s no specific school or style that predicts success.

There are plenty of schools that consistently produce poo tho.

22 week1 starting QBs came from P5 for what it’s worth...

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Will Grier is your project/high risk QB that will end up being good in this draft, for the record.
    -a college football fan

(Assuming he's not on steroids anymore, or at least knows how to not get caught)

I’m a WVU fan/alum and I approve this message.

Except the last part, we prefer to act like that didn’t happen and he left Florida for us simply because he likes pepperoni rolls.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    -a college football fan

I’m a WVU fan/alum and I approve this message.

Except the last part, we prefer to act like that didn’t happen and he left Florida for us simply because he likes pepperoni rolls.

I mean I give him a pass solely on the premise that UF sucks, of course he'd want to escape the momentary loss of sanity that caused him to originally be stuck in that swampy mudhole.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Drew Magary was in an accident recently.
    Irredeemable Vikings fan and beloved voice of Deadspin Drew Magary has been moved to the injured reserve list after an accident last week. He is receiving the best possible care, is surrounded by his family and friends, and is doing well under the circumstances. We miss his randomly capitalized exuberant tweets and his Hater’s Guide To The Williams-Sonoma Catalog even more than you do, but we want to allow him the time he needs to recover without worrying about blogs, and the privacy to do so without us haranguing him. We love him and are rooting for him, and we can’t wait to announce that he’s been designated to return. Feel free to use the comments to send him good thoughts and Kirk Cousins GIFs.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well we don't know what happened to him. But we do have video with him and Peter King and I suspect King tried to kill him.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    In happier news, Oakland fired their GM. Gruden still in charge.

Also, too. The City of Oakland has filed an anti-trust lawsuit against the team and league. We can only look forward to the team moving to Las Vegas early and playing in a backyard somewhere.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Also, too. The City of Oakland has filed an anti-trust lawsuit against the team and league. We can only look forward to the team moving to Las Vegas early and playing in a backyard somewhere.

Is there any justification for Oakland filing this now and not earlier? It's not like the NFL is any different now than when the Raiders moved to Oakland. Did they do something in particular?

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

I'm sure the playing surface will improve. Hope they're proud of their win over Pittsburgh because the field was so shit.

And really, the GM? Yeah, I can really see that's the cause of their issue.
    "We need a massive improvement in passrush, a quality punter, and a good wideout! You need to get them for us!"
    "I.... uhhh.... wha?"
    "You're fired!"

Seriously, like with the ongoing Chief of Staff job opening, I'd be incredibly suspicious of anyone putting their hand up to be Raiders GM. You KNOW you're not going to have power. You KNOW you're going to be the scapegoat if the LZ Grudenburg bursts into flames. You KNOW the owner sunk cost on Gruden and that he'll side with Gruden.

Anyone who wants that job, likely has no prospects elsewhere.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    If anything it's Gruden even more in charge.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    There are so many factors that go into whether a QB will be good or not, it's really hard to compare one to another or predict success. Coaching plays a big role, we've seen time an again dumb coaches that drag their heels in and force the QB to play in a way that doesn't complement their skill set. Mayfield is a recent example, look how well he's doing post Hugh/Haley.

Another is the overall team strength. All of last years first round picks were drafted to teams that were either pretty good already or improved a ton in the off season. Both Watson and Trubisky have top tier defenses. Mahomes has more weapons than just about any other team. The Browns have talent on both sides of the ball. The Jet's have pretty much nothing in the way of talent, while both the Cards and Bill have good defenses but bad offenses.

Another factor is a QB's "mental" state. How well do they pick up on concepts, how well do can they apply them in a pressure moment, do they spend extra time in the film room, etc. This is almost always something that comes up with QB's that succeed as a lower draft pick. Brady's love of film study has been talked about a ton. You'd read about Kirk Cousins putting in extra time. I know nothing about scouting so I have no idea how hard it is to identify college QB's that have that extra motivation.

It's just such a crap shoot. Would Tom Brady be Tom Brady if he had been drafted by another team?
    Quality of Linemen and wide outs make a big difference too. Would Joe Montana have been as successful without Jerry Rice? The difference between good John Elway and Super Bowl winning John Elway was a Hall of fame running back.

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

Is there any justification for Oakland filing this now and not earlier? It's not like the NFL is any different now than when the Raiders moved to Oakland. Did they do something in particular?

Probably to get their ducks in a row or something
    Oakland filed a lawsuit in federal court Tuesday challenging the relocation of the Raiders to Las Vegas, calling the move illegal and demanding compensation for hundreds of millions of dollars in losses.

The long-awaited suit against the Raiders, the National Football League and every other team in the league seeks damages for the “unlawful decision to boycott Oakland,” but does not ask for the Raiders to remain in the city. Oakland claims the NFL and its teams collude as an “illegal cartel” to demand that cities bankroll new stadiums with public funds or be shut out of the marketplace with team relocations.

On top of antitrust violations, the complaint alleges that the Raiders and NFL are violating their own policies and bylaws.

“The Raiders’ illegal move lines the pockets of NFL owners and sticks Oakland, its residents, taxpayers and dedicated fans with the bill,” City Attorney Barbara Parker said in a statement. “The purpose of this lawsuit is to hold the defendants accountable and help to compensate Oakland for the damages the defendants’ unlawful actions have caused and will cause to the people of Oakland.”

One theory I've seen was it's a move to force the team to leave.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2018/12/12/packers-fan-awaits-judges-ruling-sunday-game-gear-against-chicago/2281422002/
    CHICAGO – Now Russell Beckman waits to see if he can wear his Green Bay Packers gear on the sidelines Sunday at Solider Field before the Packers-Bears game.

A U.S. district court judge heard arguments Wednesday from Beckman and the Bears on his request that he be allowed to wear Packers gear as part of a pregame season ticket-holders event.

U.S. District Judge Joan Gottschall did not indicate when she would rule, but Beckman is hoping it will be before Sunday's game.

"This judge is wearing the proverbial blindfold. She wasn’t impressed by the Monsters of the Midway and their four attorneys, but she also wasn’t impressed that I’m a regular guy. I think she’s going to call it exactly as she sees it," Beckman said after the hearing.

I don't know how I feel about this case.
    He is a Packers fan, and season ticket holder for both teams.

I kinda want this guy to lose this case.

• Options
    Fucking ESPN2 is holding a goddamned mock draft.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    The dude paid his money, as long as it's not against an existing rule or outright illegal he should be allowed to wear whatever the hell he wants.

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    He should lose the case on account of the beard.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    He should lose the case on account of the beard.

You know what, I didn't notice the beard. Sustained.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    @dlinfiniti :lol:

Garbage time almost saved you, too. Ready to lose in the playoffs?

@Veevee i didnt need to win for the #1 seed, just not lose with >100 point deficit, now you have sealed your fate, i will be seeing the buffalos in the finals

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    So the idea that the lawsuit against the team and league as an attempt to force them to leave early might have something to it. Because it appears the the measured response by the team was to tear up the tentative lease for 2019.

Brilliant!

• Options
    Broadcast maps.

Last week for TNF and they might finally get a good one.

Saturday footbaw begins for the next two weeks and so the Sunday slate takes a hit. Do you like New England and Pittsburgh? Too bloody right!

I might personally check out the awful that will be Washington and Jacksonville. Should be entertaining.

• Options
    How about that Mahomes, kid?

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Patrick Mahomes is a wizard.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Quality refball on a Thursday night

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    This is atrocious

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    Well this seems like a make-up call for not helmet to helmet.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    They just let him run free...

• Options
    Whis I hate you sometimes but I just can't quit you

• Options
    Reminder to the terminally addicted that there is footbaw today starting at 4.30p EST. NFLNetwork only, however.

• Options
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Maybe the Raiders should push for another 7 international games? That way they don't need a home field? A couple in Canada in the early season and a couple in Mexico for the late season. Add another London game to the schedule (and have them back to back), problem's solved.

Call them the Nomad Raiders for the season.

• Options
    That’s ominous for Tampa

• Options
    And, as if anybody really needed a reason to think Dan Snyder isn't the 'hold my beer' owner...
    Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder is getting help from District officials, congressional Republicans and the Trump administration as he tries to clear a major roadblock to building a new, 60,000-seat stadium on the site of RFK Stadium.

Nearly three years after the Redskins unveiled futuristic designs for their next football stadium, the team has been working in concert with local and federal officials to insert a stadium provision into the massive spending bill that the Republican-controlled Congress is rushing to complete this month, according to four people familiar with the effort but not authorized to discuss it publicly.

The provision could pave the way for the NFL stadium and other commercial development on the 190-acre site that was the setting of the team’s greatest triumphs. By tucking it into a complex spending bill, the team and local officials could sidestep some public debate over whether other uses for the coveted parcel of land would benefit a broader swath of D.C. residents.

The provision’s passage would not guarantee the stadium would be built at the RFK site, and the District government would retain control of the property. But it could give fresh momentum to the D.C. plan before officials in Maryland or Virginia have an opportunity to make a meaningful play for the project.

The effort comes as Snyder and government officials fear that the coming change in House control from Republicans to Democrats could complicate future attempts to secure the RFK site, according to multiple local and federal officials familiar with the discussions.

[...]

Developing the RFK site, which is on federally owned land along the Anacostia River, is politically fraught. The city controls the land only through 2038 under a National Park Service lease that states the land must be used for “stadium purposes” or “recreational facilities, open space, or public outdoor recreation opportunities” only, precluding commercial development.

According to one congressional official and a D.C. official, the language under consideration would extend the existing lease for 99 years and remove the recreation-only language, thus opening the site to other, commercial development.

(Note: DC does not have a genuine home rule and requires congressional action to deal with many local issues.)

The summation is that Snyder, a bunch of feckless locals, and other deplorable shitkickers in congress are looking to change a rule that prevents a specific kind of develpment on the RFK Stadium site. And, of course, all new stadia have to have that fucking commercial draw because why the fuck else would you go there? There has been a plan in the works for years to develop the site for affordable housing and other more needed things. The DC council has been all up in Snyder's junk because they're terrified (for some reason) that Snyder would move the team somewhere, I guess.

And all this is before the Great Stadium Swindle begins and Snyder begs DC for multiple billions to build the thing in the first place.

This is a real tweet with a real conceptual image.

• Options
    There are a distressingly high number of people who will be stuck with that Slurs/Jags game on CBS early.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    lol where is the wave coming from? Also where are those people climbing to?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    lol where is the wave coming from? Also where are those people climbing to?

Shhhh here's a million dollars to stop asking your questions.