As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Without reading it, it's Kaep's fault, right?

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Without reading it, it's Kaep's fault, right?

He blames himself for making the move. But he also claims the he underestimated the number of people who support Kaep. Which is probably a far smaller number than the people who go into a sporting goods shop to buy just regular Nike shit. Self-inflicted wound.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    This was also the thing where people were burning Nike stuff while seeing it?

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    John Elways has drafted 6'7" Brock Lobster and 6'7" Paxton Lynch and now traded for 6'6" Joe Flacco. I would love to be a fly on the wall when someone asks him to evaluate Kyler Murray.

Bobble wrote: »
    John Elways has drafted 6'7" Brock Lobster and 6'7" Paxton Lynch and now traded for 6'6" Joe Flacco. I would love to be a fly on the wall when someone asks him to evaluate Kyler Murray.

Not as valuable as the $18m cap hit and lessened roster flexibility that Joe 'Elite' Flacco gives him.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    John Elway continues to have the worst eye for QB talent. I honestly cannot understand how he’s still basically God here in the Denver area. I would assume he’d have used up much of the goodwill he earned as a QB and the Manning years.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
    Ask somebody from Chicago about Mike Ditka.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Who’s a worse executive

John Elway or Michael Jordan

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

Most of that came from embracing the super fan joke. We were ready for him to go.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I feel like the Flacco grab is a Manning 2.0 move. I imagine Elway thinks that Flacco has the skillset and experience to be a great QB if you put the right team around him. He probably figures he can recapture the magic that got Flacco his last ring and bring another Lombardi back to Denver.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Does Denver actually have the team to put around Flacco to make him Elite™ again?

Does Denver actually have the team to put around Flacco to make him Elite™ again?

No.

This has been another edition of Simple Answers to Simple Questions.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I feel like the Flacco grab is a Manning 2.0 move. I imagine Elway thinks that Flacco has the skillset and experience to be a great QB if you put the right team around him. He probably figures he can recapture the magic that got Flacco his last ring and bring another Lombardi back to Denver.

Of course not. This is a full on case of "Narrator Voice: He was wrong."

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    As a Chiefs fan I approve of this move. Nice to see a division rival copy our old tradition of picking up other teams' has-been QBs.

Most of that came from embracing the super fan joke. We were ready for him to go.

All I'm really saying is that fandom and hero worship do strange things to people.

There are more than a few fans of Denver who are fully aware that Elway is really bad at whatever he thinks his job is. There are probably even more who just blindly accept or defend the things their team or team's players do because their identity and/or self-worth is tied into their fandom.

To be completely fair, Flacco may actually be reinvigorated by the move and return to a level at or slightly above replacement value. The team surrounding him may play beyond their abilities and they win it all.

But no rational observer would believe that. Flacco is just another in a string of tall, strong-armed, white dudes with little to no outstanding talent and some people are just fooled that Elway's own on-field talent somehow means he is also good at talent evaluation.

Without some significant salary cutting, Denver doesn't have enough cap space (I saw $10m.) to make an impact via free agency. In a division with a healthy Kansas City, they aren't going to do very well.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The NFL and Kaep have come to a confidential settlement:
    The N.F.L. and Colin Kaepernick, the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback who ignited a protest movement against racism and police brutality by kneeling on the sideline during the playing of the national anthem at games, have settled a case that accused the league of colluding to keep him off a team.

The league also settled a similar claim lodged by another player, Eric Reid, who knelt alongside Kaepernick and went unsigned for a period before playing last season for the Carolina Panthers. The statement by the N.F.L. said that “the parties have decided to resolve the pending grievances” and that “there will be no further comment” because the players and the league reached a confidentiality agreement.

The terms of the settlements were not disclosed.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Good for Kaep personally, but signing a non disclosure agreement lets them basically sweep the leagues racism and black listing under the carpet so the next Kaep will be dealt with all the harsher.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    Good for Kaep personally, but signing a non disclosure agreement lets them basically sweep the leagues racism and black listing under the carpet so the next Kaep will be dealt with all the harsher.

I don't think so. The NFL folding like a cheap suit is an outright admission of collusion:
    pAgain: Leagues do not capitulate like this unless the evidence against them is so graphically obvious, the alternative to settling is far worse than any other option. And as Yahoo Sports’ Charles Robinson points out, this settlement comes before final arguments were to be made in the Kaepernick and Reid collusion cases before arbitrator Stephen Burbank later this month. So, for the NFL to settle, the NFL had to know that the evidence against it was irrevocable.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    But we'll never know though. Most likely the league was fucked but now its just he said corporate said.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »

I don't think so. The NFL folding like a cheap suit is an outright admission of collusion:
    pAgain: Leagues do not capitulate like this unless the evidence against them is so graphically obvious, the alternative to settling is far worse than any other option. And as Yahoo Sports’ Charles Robinson points out, this settlement comes before final arguments were to be made in the Kaepernick and Reid collusion cases before arbitrator Stephen Burbank later this month. So, for the NFL to settle, the NFL had to know that the evidence against it was irrevocable.

This is probably true for sports leagues. But not necessarily for anybody else. Settlements may come because the cost of litigation may be so great that, guilty or not, it's better to just pay the settlement.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The NFL probably had to pay a lot to not suffer letting Kaepernick claim collusion. Which is a good thing. But the admission or verdict seems like it would have been better for society.

wbBv3fj.png
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Who’s a worse executive

John Elway or Michael Jordan

One of these won a championship as executive. The other drafted Kwame Brown #1 out of high school.

That's a trick question! They both did that!

• marajimaraji Registered User regular
    I didn’t know Brown played two sports.

maraji wrote: »
    I didn’t know Brown played two sports.

I didn't know Brown played one sport.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I think David Shaw of Stanford punted from the opposition 31 this year, so that's going to be hard to top.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Offseason, schmoffseason. Get ready guys

I was glad when it wasn't the Lions who had the worst punt ever, but I was also not surprised that they ended up losing that game anyways.

edited February 2019
    Former NFL punter disagrees on the saddest punt:

And if you go into the thread, Bois and Kluwe discuss refining the Surrender Index.

AngelHedgie on
    Whenever I play NFL Head Coach 09, I trade for Kluwe.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    That Kluwe punt is definitely sad and has the air of giving up, but I still don't think it matches up to the ones Bois found. Specific numbers aside, I think the system he used to find the very saddest of the sad punts worked out pretty well.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    That Kluwe punt is definitely sad and has the air of giving up, but I still don't think it matches up to the ones Bois found. Specific numbers aside, I think the system he used to find the very saddest of the sad punts worked out pretty well.

I mostly agree, but the punt Kluwe brings up is clearly worse than any other punt featured in the video

But the Kluwe punt is so bad, it’s unlikely to be duplicated, so the ten saddest may all just shift down 1...

....at least I hope nobody else was stupid enough to duplicate such a punt....

I mean do we have examples of losing teams kneeling to end a game?

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

I think it happens on occasion. Pretty sure I saw the Lions do it, but it only usually occurs when a team is getting blown out and they get the ball back with like 3 seconds to play on like their own 20 or something. It's basically just a statement of "this game is over, let's move on", not an inherently dumb play or anything.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »

I think it happens on occasion. Pretty sure I saw the Lions do it, but it only usually occurs when a team is getting blown out and they get the ball back with like 3 seconds to play on like their own 20 or something. It's basically just a statement of "this game is over, let's move on", not an inherently dumb play or anything.

Yeah, I don't think you'ld find a team kneeling coming out of the 2m warning, down by less than two scores. That's what the punt Kluwe was ordered to do* essentially was. Giving up, when there's still sufficient time to win the game (even if the chance is tiny).

* I initially said Kluwe punt, and that could be construed as ownership, and he didn't make the decision to do it. It was Brad Childress.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

And if you go into the thread, Bois and Kluwe discuss refining the Surrender Index.

But is it as sad as this "punt"?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i7VKQwDS2s

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh some posts in the nfl thread, I hadn’t heard any news from my beloved Vikings for a few weeks, let’s just go check out what is going on with the Packers or Seahawks or whoever..................oh goddamnit. Yes I remember that punt. Fuck off Vikings.

• marajimaraji Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

But is it as sad as this "punt"?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i7VKQwDS2s

For the definition of sad he’s going for it’s not even close. The Colts “punt” was a badly executed bizarre play, but they were still very much trying to keep the ball and score. The Vikings punt was Childress effectively conceding the game in a very asinine way.

Oh some posts in the nfl thread, I hadn’t heard any news from my beloved Vikings for a few weeks, let’s just go check out what is going on with the Packers or Seahawks or whoever..................oh goddamnit. Yes I remember that punt. Fuck off Vikings.

Which one? The Vikings punt from 2006 or the Vikings punt from 2008?

You have to be more specific when discussing the Brad Childress Vikings and worst punt decisions