As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    And all to draft a QB who won't amount to anything anyway.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    And all that to continue playing a sport that doesn't matter on a world that's falling apart in a universe that's just spiraling infinity into the void.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Welp time for some roasted ham and Swiss

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I need decent nights from Chubb and Landry to win my week and also want the 49ers to collapse so...

Of course this is how things start.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man its weird how the niners are the team everyone thought cleveland would be.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    QBs should never, ever slide, because they are not protected by officials when they do. It just exposes them to monster head hits.

Really? I thought they were? Definitely have heard the commentators talk about a QB being considered down as soon as he starts the slide, and is thus protected.

Was mostly when Russell Wilson was doing it early in his career.

Wilson is basically the only QB who should slide because he’s the only one who knows how

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Man its weird how the niners are the team everyone thought cleveland would be.

they beat the bucs, the bengals, and the steelers, not exactly a murderer's row.

ask again later. though i thought the browns def had to prove themselves before i bought them being even decent.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    As someone who hasn’t seen any MNF yet this season, WTF am I watching?

A “halftime show” ?

• Options
    maraji wrote: »

A “halftime show” ?

I think it's just an elaborate sponsorship.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    maraji wrote: »

A “halftime show” ?

I think it's just an elaborate sponsorship.

I do not think it is making me more likely to buy a Hyundai

• Options
    A good 49er team would be really annoying. Maybe the Browns are just bad.

• Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    These are my Browns, can't break my spirits without giving me some real hope first. It's next level.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Cleveland looks like a beaten team. Even if the first half was the result of some bad breaks and small mistakes writ large, they’re getting stream rolled now. SF is just plowing through them on a drive that the Browns needs a quick stop on.

They’ll like lot be down at least four touchdowns in a moment and they can’t seem to stop the Niners at all.

Edit: Well I guess SF just can’t make field goals.

Six on
  • Options
    Six wrote: »
    Cleveland looks like a beaten team. Even if the first half was the result of some bad breaks and small mistakes writ large, they’re getting stream rolled now. SF is just plowing through them on a drive that the Browns needs a quick stop on.

They’ll like lot be down at least four touchdowns in a moment and they can’t seem to stop the Niners at all.

Edit: Well I guess SF just can’t make field goals.

Who needs field goals when you can get touchdowns.

Browns look overmatched and undercoached.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    QBs should never, ever slide, because they are not protected by officials when they do. It just exposes them to monster head hits.

Really? I thought they were? Definitely have heard the commentators talk about a QB being considered down as soon as he starts the slide, and is thus protected.

Was mostly when Russell Wilson was doing it early in his career.

Wilson is basically the only QB who should slide because he’s the only one who knows how

Kyler Murray with his 9th overall MLB draft pick says hi...

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I've never understood why sliding was even a thing, to be honest; why not just like, fall down? Why have this weird awkward feet first business

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    I've never understood why sliding was even a thing, to be honest; why not just like, fall down? Why have this weird awkward feet first business

because... sliding is what happens when you fall down while running?

I'm not sure what you think makes more sense.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

because... sliding is what happens when you fall down while running?

I'm not sure what you think makes more sense.

Safer than falling.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Yeah I'm trying to imagine the alternative. Pitching forward head first? 'cause that seems like a good way to take a shot to the head.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The solution is to just not allow QBs to advance the ball past the LOS.

For safety.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Sliding is totally fine. QBs just need to be better about understanding when to slide. Wilson takes hits sometimes when he knows the extra yard is important. But when it isn’t, he hits the ground before anyone is within 2 yards of him. Instead of trying to slide after he was already being tackled, like RG3 used to.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's that mentality to get every last inch you can while simultaneously giving up. Some of the responsibility needs to be on QB's, once a defender is at the point of no return, sliding should be off the table.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Just back to the Gruden firing, there's a funny story being retold by a local Washington reporter.

"Jay was fired at a 5 a.m.meeting. Norv was told to report at 5 a.m. He always came to work at 5 a.m. anyway. That day, he showed up at 9 a.m. just to spite Snyder."
    - Rick Snider is a radio and newspaper reporter for Washington sports for over 40 years.

Norv's tenure with Washington was before my time following the sport, but this makes me like him in retrospect. Daniel Snyder is arguably the worst of the bad bunch that is the NFL owner's group. And I wish nothing but ill fortune on him and his franchise for as long as he owns it.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    The solution is to just not allow QBs to advance the ball past the LOS.

For safety.

Footbaw should adopt Blood Bowl rules!

• Options
    Just back to the Gruden firing, there's a funny story being retold by a local Washington reporter.

"Jay was fired at a 5 a.m.meeting. Norv was told to report at 5 a.m. He always came to work at 5 a.m. anyway. That day, he showed up at 9 a.m. just to spite Snyder."
    - Rick Snider is a radio and newspaper reporter for Washington sports for over 40 years.

Norv's tenure with Washington was before my time following the sport, but this makes me like him in retrospect. Daniel Snyder is arguably the worst of the bad bunch that is the NFL owner's group. And I wish nothing but ill fortune on him and his franchise for as long as he owns it.

As it happens, not that difficult an outcome.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular

As it happens, not that difficult an outcome.

Seeing as it's already happening, lol.

• Options
    Levels of sadness for a sports fan:

3. Bad players. Trust the process, hope we get better players. Root for the guys we got and look forward to better times.
    2. Bad coaches. This sucks. No matter who we get, we’re never going to get over the hump until we finally get a coach that can really compete.
    1. Bad owners. It will never get better I want to die.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    17. That meaningless hold that wasn't called meant we almost didn't cover the spread

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options

3. Bad players. Trust the process, hope we get better players. Root for the guys we got and look forward to better times.
    2. Bad coaches. This sucks. No matter who we get, we’re never going to get over the hump until we finally get a coach that can really compete.

0. Cleveland Browns: Why am I still rooting for this stupid team?

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

As a Giants fan I'm beginning to suspect we've slipped into 1 on the generational turnover a few years back

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Washington "We're number 1! We're number 1!"

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Washington "We're number 1! We're number 1!"

Well... arguably the worst coaching job in football, has a candidate volunteering.

"Rex Ryan: I would take the Washington job"
    - ProFootballTalk is the NBC Football News section.

Yeah... I'll reiterate my earlier statement, "And I wish nothing but ill fortune on him and his franchise for as long as he owns it."

So... yay?

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Washington sounds like the perfect sort of shitshow for one of them Ryan boys to get up in.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Rob is currently the inside linebackers coach for Washington, so... it makes sense, I guess.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

As a Giants fan I'm beginning to suspect we've slipped into 1 on the generational turnover a few years back

You have 2 super bowl wins in the last 15 years. I think you need to give it a lot more time before you can get on the level of the Browns, Washington, Bills, and Lions. You could argue that Washington is the least sad of those 4 having at least won a playoff game in the last 20 years.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    It's...amusing...that the team which is currently wearing more red is represented with blue and the team wearing more blue is represented with red.

• Options
    First map check.

Four teams on bye this week (Buffalo, Chicago, Indianapolis, and Oakland) plus another London game make for a really limited choice. The London game is only on NFLN, but since it's Carolina/Tampa Bay, who will notice?

Dallas is on the road at an AFC team (New York) and CBS gets the afternoon game and you know what that means! At least Buckman shoot their wad tonight.

Seeing San Francisco/LARams just kind of makes me nostalgic for when they were considered prime fodder for MNF. Instead, Detroit/Green Bay.

Also, too, I suppose Pittsburgh/LAChargers looked good on paper when the schedules were made.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »

You have 2 super bowl wins in the last 15 years. I think you need to give it a lot more time before you can get on the level of the Browns, Washington, Bills, and Lions. You could argue that Washington is the least sad of those 4 having at least won a playoff game in the last 20 years.

The old man died back in 05 (I thought it was post 09) so I guess my theory doesn't hold up as there were certainly good personnel/management decisions made by John Mara and co.

Guess I'll have to out that one in the box for a little while longer

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    There has to be some level of sadness when the future of the team came out of UNC.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    There has to be some level of sadness when the future of the team came out of UNC.

Um excuse me Daniel Jones is a proud Duke alum

Please consider the environment before printing this post.