As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Fuck the Giants

Literally the only bright spot on the team till Barkley, which brought our total of dynamic players to 2.

What a fucking pile of shit

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Maybe the NYG will actually use Peppers the way he's supposed to be used, as a tiny linebacker.

Well they need help in just about every position on defense, so Peppers can take his pick.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    From the other thread: Giants fans may end up gunning for Dave Gettleman's head. Here's the most recent trades he's made:

Traded 1st round draft pick CB Eli Apple to New Orleans for 2019 fourth-round and 2020 seventh-round draft picks.
    Traded DT Damon Harrison to Detroit for a 2019 fifth-round draft pick.
    Traded DE Olivier Vernon and 4th round pick for OG Kevin Zeitler and 5th round pick
    Traded Odell Beckham Jr for a 2019 1st, 3rd, and Safety Jabrill Peppers.

The Vernon trade is possibly the only decent one done. Since you traded a started CB and cut a starting safety, it seems you're ok with your defense sucking for 2019 and your offense will be the focus. Improving the O-line, getting a rookie QB to pair with 2 of the best weapons in football Saquon and OBJ. With Saquon on a rookie deal for a while, as well as your new QB, it would allow for you to go all in on O-line and defense here this year and next. Washington is a mess and Philly/Dallas are good but not anything amazing, there's a chance you could still get in the playoffs on offense alone.

Now it seems they are giving up for 2019 and wasting another year of Saquon on a rookie deal.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Whom else can the giants and browns trade

• Options
    Man there’s some major potential for Freddie Kitchens to be eaten alive

But the Browns are the only AFCN going for it right now. Fucking weird.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Man there’s some major potential for Freddie Kitchens to be eaten alive

But the Browns are the only AFCN going for it right now. Fucking weird.

Potential, sure. It really comes down to whether he can keep OBJ's bullshit in check or not.

Because honestly, the trade is pretty f'n light. Yes, a 1st and a 3rd is big, but OBJ has more than the potential to be a Hall of Famer. For that price, if he can be kept from self-destructing, it's a steal.

And while I'm not one to try and push hype, if Kareem Hunt can turn his shit around too, that's a Brown/Bell-esque tandem, with no slouch at QB.

But like you said, if the novice Kitchens can do it, and is given time to do it, it'll pay off in spades.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Didn't see it mentioned here, but apparently Le'veon Bell is going to the Jets.

Apparently it's $35M guaranteed, but with a max value of up to $61M. Side note, NFL listed contract values are fucking dumb.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26243380/bell-plans-join-jets-4-years-525m

So, it doesn't look like his holdout really did THAT much, assuming he didn't get destroyed during the season. Cause he left almost $15M on the table last season, sitting out.

And let's be frank, does anyone want to argue that he's improved his chance at success? Steelers vs Jets, not just straight up comparison, but also the chance to win their division?

I mean, Steelers are itching to fall off a cliff if Ben goes to shit, but even without Bell, and even with Brown gone, the Steelers have consistently found good replacements or good value at their draft position.

And again, I'm not sure how valid PFF is at their rankings, but he's going from the top ranked in 2018, to the 25th.

Hope it all works out, as good football is more important to me than seeing players leaving teams get their comeuppance (exceptions, Patriots, Raiders, Washington). If the Jets are fun to watch, I'll be all for it, especially as NY is a primary marketplace (so there'll be a lot of prime time games), and the Giants are looking to suck this year.

• Options
    I'd imagine for Bell, like Brown, it was somewhat about the organization. Barnwell has a good breakdown of how the Steelers do their contracts which it seems they don't pay players as well compared to other teams. So even if he just get a little bit more than the Steelers were offering, it may be worth it to him.

I'd like to believe that the Jets are trending up while the Steelers are trending down. Even with their record of hitting in the draft, they have a ton of holes now and are in cap hell.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I saw yesterday that $1.2billion has been spent in this year's free agency.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    RedTide wrote: »
    Fuck the Giants

Literally the only bright spot on the team till Barkley, which brought our total of dynamic players to 2.

Which if they are going into full-rebuild mode makes the Barkley pick even more hilarious from a logistical standpoint. RBs have the shortest shelf-life of any of the skill positions, so clearly the best choice is to draft a stud RB before you've gotten the rest of your team built up, so that by the time you're ready to go on a run, the RB is either run into the ground or coming off his rookie contract and looking for Gurley numbers. Though I guess people might argue that the Giants could fuck around with the tag like the Steelers did with Bell since RB is the cheapest skill position to tag for multiple years.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »
    Fuck the Giants

Which if they are going into full-rebuild mode makes the Barkley pick even more hilarious from a logistical standpoint. RBs have the shortest shelf-life of any of the skill positions, so clearly the best choice is to draft a stud RB before you've gotten the rest of your team built up, so that by the time you're ready to go on a run, the RB is either run into the ground or coming off his rookie contract and looking for Gurley numbers. Though I guess people might argue that the Giants could fuck around with the tag like the Steelers did with Bell since RB is the cheapest skill position to tag for multiple years.

I have no clue what the fucking vision is here.

Last year it was apparently to go all in on Manning one last time with maybe the best skill players the team has ever seen but to be garbage on both sides of the line which is in direct contravention to the two super bowl teams that Manning won with.

Now we've traded away a hall of fame bound receiver for a light haul in the most passing friendly league ever, are a year further along with Manning and the only quarterback chatter that is out there is that we're going to maybe go for Rosen, whom I was all for drafting last year but what the fuck are we doing.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What I've seen is drafting Haskins. I mean, who or what can they trade for Rosen and why would anybody believe he would be a long term improvement?

• Options
    Also, what the hell was the NFL thinking rotating draft cities like it was the Super Bowl? Who the fuck wants to go to Nashville to pose with Good Ol' Rog ?

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Before they had traded Odell, I would have said they should trade the rumored third rounder for Rosen and grabbed a couple of offensive linemen either in free agency or the draft. Now, I think that’s probably a bad idea. They’re basically what Arizona was last year: a stud running back grinding behind a trash line with no receivers. Awful place for an immobile quarterback to be.

Now they’ll end up taking a quarterback with the sixth pick when they desperately needed one of the premier edge players. Seems like there’s no real plan in place over there.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    Also, what the hell was the NFL thinking rotating draft cities like it was the Super Bowl? Who the fuck wants to go to Nashville to pose with Good Ol' Rog ?

Nashville is a fun as hell city though

• Options
    Aaron Hernandez’s conviction was un-vacated 2 hours ago. He is now re-convicted of murder.

Awkward

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Aaron Hernandez’s conviction was un-vacated 2 hours ago. He is now re-convicted of murder.

Awkward

Means the Pats get 3 million extra in cap space that was being held until that resolved.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular

Awkward
    They can do that? I mean, I guess they can.

Madpoet wrote: »

Awkward

Means the Pats get 3 million extra in cap space that was being held until that resolved.

Conspiracy!

• Options
    It also has implications for his estate and beneficiaries

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    maraji wrote: »

Awkward
    They can do that? I mean, I guess they can.

Madpoet wrote: »

Awkward

Conspiracy!

Basically, the MA Supreme Court said that the legal principle used to acquit him was never actually codified in MA law, and had been applied because it was done elsewhere:
    As we have been unable to discern a reasoned analysis for the adoption of the abatement ab initio doctrine, and in any event, we are presented with substantial reasons it should be changed, we conclude that we will no longer follow the doctrine when a defendant dies during the pendency of a direct appeal as of right challenging a conviction. Instead, upon the death of the defendant, the appeal shall be dismissed as moot and the trial court shall be instructed to place in the record a notation stating that the defendant’s conviction removed the defendant’s presumption of innocence, but that the conviction was appealed and it was neither affirmed nor reversed on appeal because the defendant died while the appeal was pending and the appeal was dismissed.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I Had honestly forgotten about hernandez.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    From the other thread: Giants fans may end up gunning for Dave Gettleman's head. Here's the most recent trades he's made:

Traded 1st round draft pick CB Eli Apple to New Orleans for 2019 fourth-round and 2020 seventh-round draft picks.
    Traded DE Olivier Vernon and 4th round pick for OG Kevin Zeitler and 5th round pick

The Vernon trade is possibly the only decent one done. Since you traded a started CB and cut a starting safety, it seems you're ok with your defense sucking for 2019 and your offense will be the focus. Improving the O-line, getting a rookie QB to pair with 2 of the best weapons in football Saquon and OBJ. With Saquon on a rookie deal for a while, as well as your new QB, it would allow for you to go all in on O-line and defense here this year and next. Washington is a mess and Philly/Dallas are good but not anything amazing, there's a chance you could still get in the playoffs on offense alone.

Now it seems they are giving up for 2019 and wasting another year of Saquon on a rookie deal.

I might be sympathetic to the Beckham trade given he's a diva with durability issues. But they just signed him. He's still got 16m on their cap this year. Just a shitshow

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PantsB wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »

I might be sympathetic to the Beckham trade given he's a diva with durability issues. But they just signed him. He's still got 16m on their cap this year. Just a shitshow

Gettleman stated that they didn't sign him just to trade him.

So they just did it anyway.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    All these dumb trades and weird QB moves have the nice side effect of making the Bears moving up 1 spot to draft Trubisky look less worse in hindsight.

The fact that he's been decent and healthy helps a bit as well.

• Options
    Golden Tate to fill the Beckham-sized hole in New York.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

That move makes zero sense.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

That move makes zero sense.

Expecting sense to come out of East Rutherford is a fool's game.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Some interesting work on what NFL contracts sound like when they're signed versus how they actually play out: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3/15/18266458/free-agent-contracts-guaranteed-money-how-long-do-deals-last

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Some interesting work on what NFL contracts sound like when they're signed versus how they actually play out: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3/15/18266458/free-agent-contracts-guaranteed-money-how-long-do-deals-last

While that has some good information in it the tone of that article is needlessly inflammatory. NFL contracts aren't "lies," how they work is right there spelled out in the contract itself. They are just conditional. As long as the player is valued by the team that's what they make. When the team doesn't think the player has value to the team they end the contract or try to renegotiate it. There's nothing nefarious about it.

Also the teams aren't the ones crowing about the big numbers that a player signed for. That's the agents trying to make it look like their client got some incredible deal so as to attract more clients.

• Options
    The bad look about footbaw contracts is the disposable, non-guaranteed nature of them. Most every other sports contract is typically 100% guaranteed.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    It's also the media throwing out the big numbers without bothering to check the details.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Tyreek Hill is headed to the Browns.

No, not really, but...
    https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article227983684.html

Chiefs receiver Tyreek Hill under investigation for alleged battery

Edit: yes, again.

maraji on
  • Options
    The long, local nightmare of Ryan Tannehill is over. He will now be Tennessee's problem in exchange for a sixth round pick.

• Options
    Manziel has been assigned to Memphis in the AAF.

Memphis is the team that thought Hackenberg was a starter.

• Options
    So in another development that will prove footbaw prognosticators and other assorted sports turds don't know what they talk about, Cole Beasley decided to sign with Buffalo as a free agent. Meaning that Dak 'No Touch' Prescott's primary target is Amari Cooper and the secondary target is an older-by-two-years Witten. Probably still predicted to win the division with 13-3 and get a first round bye. (But perhaps Garrett starts the season 0-3, gets fired, and they promote Kellen Moore to be head coach because why not?)

Anyway, that's not what this post is really all about. It's about Beasley's response to a Dallas fan about why he chose Buffalo over New England.

Your mistake is assuming the patriots are gonna win every year.

I'm beginning to think he 'chose' Buffalo.

• Options
    The long, local nightmare of Ryan Tannehill is over. He will now be Tennessee's problem in exchange for a sixth round pick.

I've been sour on the guy for awhile now, but we have absolutely nobody at QB now and I don't see us getting one in this year's draft.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »

I've been sour on the guy for awhile now, but we have absolutely nobody at QB now and I don't see us getting one in this year's draft.

I just got an alert from the NFL app. Guess we're rolling with fitzmagic this year

• Options

I just got an alert from the NFL app. Guess we're rolling with fitzmagic this year

You guys should be able to pick someone legit if you position for next year.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    The dolphins are going to have a trillion dollars in cap space in 2020 and probably a premier draft pick. They’re setting up like the Browns were a few years ago.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    The dolphins are going to have a trillion dollars in cap space in 2020 and probably a premier draft pick. They’re setting up like the Browns were a few years ago.

I'm sure we'll find a way to fuck it up. One things for certain, I'll be glad I'm not paying for Sunday ticket this year.