As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Bears should pick him up.

Why? They have the Great White Dope.
    And he won't go to the left!

Yes, these are the reasons why the Bears should pick him up.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Bears should pick him up.

Why? They have the Great White Dope.
    And he won't go to the left!

Yes, these are the reasons why the Bears should pick him up.

I would be so torn on Kaep going to the Bears.

On the one hand he absolutely deserves a job.

On the other hand I'm a Vikings fan and the Bears not being garbage is wholly unacceptable.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Woof, all the Kaep haters are back in full force. I forgot how disgusting they were. It's all the Blue Lives Matter people and then some. Hopefully he gets a shot out of this, but I have a feeling the same league that blackballed him isn't gonna give him a shot now. Which is super fucked up cause they're the reason he's been out of the league in the first place.

This is just reminding me of pretty much everything I hate about football (or at the very least, the NFL) :|

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    ugh
    ESPN is reporting some shady shit surrounding this...

Sources told ESPN that Kaepernick and his reps weren't alerted until Tuesday morning. When notified, the quarterback's reps asked for the workout to be on a Tuesday, which typically is when all NFL workouts take place, since head coaches and general managers can more easily attend. This Saturday, almost half of the NFL teams will be traveling to games, and most of the rest of the coaches and players will be heading to their team hotels to prepare for their games the next day.

But the NFL said the workout had to be on a Saturday, sources told ESPN. When the league was asked if it could be on the following Saturday -- by making it this Saturday, the 32 teams only have about three days to make a decision on whether to attend and who to send -- the NFL said no and didn't provide a reason why.

Sources told ESPN that the NFL league office also said that none of the 32 teams had been made aware of the workout prior to the memo being sent. When Kaepernick's representatives asked if a team or teams had asked for the workout, they explained that the NFL league office said, "We can't tell you that."

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    ugh
    ESPN is reporting some shady shit surrounding this...

Sources told ESPN that Kaepernick and his reps weren't alerted until Tuesday morning. When notified, the quarterback's reps asked for the workout to be on a Tuesday, which typically is when all NFL workouts take place, since head coaches and general managers can more easily attend. This Saturday, almost half of the NFL teams will be traveling to games, and most of the rest of the coaches and players will be heading to their team hotels to prepare for their games the next day.

But the NFL said the workout had to be on a Saturday, sources told ESPN. When the league was asked if it could be on the following Saturday -- by making it this Saturday, the 32 teams only have about three days to make a decision on whether to attend and who to send -- the NFL said no and didn't provide a reason why.

Sources told ESPN that the NFL league office also said that none of the 32 teams had been made aware of the workout prior to the memo being sent. When Kaepernick's representatives asked if a team or teams had asked for the workout, they explained that the NFL league office said, "We can't tell you that."

From the linked article.
    "Kaepernick's representatives began to question the legitimacy of the workout and process and whether it was just a PR stunt by the league, sources told ESPN."

This is Trumpian levels of incompetence.

This was OVER. The settlement was done. The outrage was done. The media attention was done.

Yet it's looking like they were doing it as a PR exercise, opening up that old wound to make themselves look better, and then it backfiring in a way that makes them look significantly worse. Because it's essentially telling anyone willing to look beneath the surface, that Kaepernick was right. That it was a systemic issue.

Because as the article said, what is the rush? Why did it have to be this Saturday, and only this Saturday, and why were teams only given three days to organize, with the business of the regular season.

If it's found that the conditions of the settlement have a "cancellation clause" being sometime next week, but they left it until now to fuck with Kaepernick... I dunno. I guess I'm just tired at being outraged at incompetence, pettiness and malevolence.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

The league told them they could only have 2 hours to think it over.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Salute to service.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Replay checks too much -> People bitch about the slowdown
    Replay ignores wrong calls because
    MorganV wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    19-1 < 17-0 . There's nothing more to be said.
    I'm being sarcastic here. It's juat fun to say as a dolphins fan, and I love the champagne popping every year
    And I'm mostly lashing back for the same reasons. :) If a Pats fan were to be adamant that the '07 Patriots were the best team ever, I'd be using the '72 Dolphins as the counterargument. :P

As a Browns fan I have to cling to a team from 1948 playing in that era’s equivalent of the XFL

Btw that year was the last World Series win for Cleveland too

Pre-merger the NFL never really had an extended stretch of quality play where it was the undisputed best league. It was garbage pre WWII where college teams were as good in many cases, WWII there weren't enough players, post-WWII the AAFC was at least comparable and better at the high end and AFL was basically the same 60-70. Anything pre-merger has to be taken with a huge grain of salt. Even in the early 80s the USFL took a lot of talent away.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    The NFL had to have known the details were going to leak out right? This is a joke.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    The NFL had to have known the details were going to leak out right? This is a joke.

The people who find out and care are a considerably smaller % of people who will hear he got a try out and lol no one wanted him fuck you for disrespecting the troops.

They are betting football fans won't give a fuck beyond the headline, and they are not wrong at all.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

The people who find out and care are a considerably smaller % of people who will hear he got a try out and lol no one wanted him fuck you for disrespecting the troops.

They are betting football fans won't give a fuck beyond the headline, and they are not wrong at all.

This. I guarantee every other member of my fantasy chat is gonna read the headline, take it as the NFL giving him one more chance and him failing, and think all is right with the world. There’s way too much nuance required in explaining why it wasn’t a real offer, and I’m not sure I’m up to bothering to try.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

This. I guarantee every other member of my fantasy chat is gonna read the headline, take it as the NFL giving him one more chance and him failing, and think all is right with the world. There’s way too much nuance required in explaining why it wasn’t a real offer, and I’m not sure I’m up to bothering to try.

Yeah at this point Kaep is pretty much fucked. Yesterday someone at my job was acting like getting an NFL job would hurt his money? And why would he want to come back ignoring he'd basically had his entire life to be this thing, had it taken from him because of activism, yeah I dunno why he'd want to go do the thing he'd done his whole fucking life up till this very recent point?

But that's the kind of fan the NFL is targetting and know they'll succeed with. The kind of person who buys a Tyreek Hill jersey "well he was found not guilty checkmate libtards"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    How about every retread washed up QB who got even one start for the past 3 years also has to complete the work out, televised, and if he can outperform even one of them we can confirm that the NFL is indeed completely full of shit about the issue.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I fucking started Brian Hoyer this past week because it’s THAT. BAD.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    I fucking started Brian Hoyer this past week because it’s THAT. BAD.

Whoa, whoa, I said washed up like John Skelton or Ryan Lindley (funny how cardinal QBs are the first to come to mind) or something, not a clear superstar like HOYER THE DESTROYER!

• Options
    He was the least bad option of about 10 bad options available to me

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Uhhhhhh, 17 game regular season with slightly expanded playoffs maybe in the works? Or is this them bargaining out in public?

Honestly, both ideas would likely make the whole NFL product slightly worse in terms of on field quality I think.

• Options
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Map Check

Green Bay, NY Giants, Seattle, and Tennessee with the bye.

Kansas City and LA Chargers in Mexico on Monday night.

• Options
    Feels like Pats/Eagles should be the Sunday night game over Rams/Bears.

Eagles D is probably not up to the task enough to make the game entertaining though.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    "BREAKING: Just-released video of @jharrison9292 latest attempted manslaughter!! Fun!! @NFLonFOX&quot;
    -Cousin Sal is a FS1 and Kimmel media personality, with no sense of self-preservation.

James Harrison is not a nice man. :)

• Options
    You definitely want to watch a 20 minute video about a 76 yard TD run by someone who had no business running that far. I mean, what else are you gonna do, watch the Browns play?

https://youtu.be/yhxWVKasqdU

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    You definitely want to watch a 20 minute video about a 76 yard TD run by someone who had no business running that far. I mean, what else are you gonna do, watch the Browns play?

I spy some Jon Bois. That's an instawatch for me.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Uhhhhhh, 17 game regular season with slightly expanded playoffs maybe in the works? Or is this them bargaining out in public?

Honestly, both ideas would likely make the whole NFL product slightly worse in terms of on field quality I think.

17 games is potentially OK, and probably good if paired with an extra bye.

Expanded playoffs is dumb as fuck. It's basically perfect

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options

I spy some Jon Bois. That's an instawatch for me.

After YouTubing the play after watching the video, I also found out that Bono’s friend, Joe Valerio, who took the jog with him on that play ended up catching a 1 yard TD pass later in that game after the Cardinals.......completely sold out to stop the run. Not sure why they didn’t bring up that play on their video.

• Options
    lol steelers

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Holy shit this is a meltdown

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It’s not often that I’m rooting for the players who are just straight up punching a guy on the ground, but Myles Garrett hitting a helmetless player with his own helmet did it.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    What a mess.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular
    Shitsburg gonna Shitsburg. Bunch a fucking thugs.

• Options
    Rudolph started it, but jesus it just kept escalating.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    You think they’ll fire Kitchens after a win?

• Options
    Either way, wouldn't be surprised if Miles Garrett is done for several games or the rest of the season.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Heir wrote: »

Nah, Garret started it with that cheap bear hug slam on Rudolph. Then it just kept escalating.

• Options
    The Browns are just a bunch of colossal dipshits who have earned none of the attitude they’re displaying

Kitchens is a disaster
    That hit by Randall was a disaster
    Miles Garrett is a disaster and like the most penalized dude this season

God damn

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Haaaah what a shit show the end of that game was.

There's a streamer sponsored by the NFL so I get to watch some games now, and the end of this Browns game was w t fffff

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »

Nah, Garret started it with that cheap bear hug slam on Rudolph. Then it just kept escalating.

Fair enough. Regardless, pure shitshow and Garrett made a really really dumb decision by attacking another person with his own helmet.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    Mason started it and then kept after him, play stupid games win stupid prizes

• Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    To clarify, if you think it's a late hit you get the flag, you don't attack the other player then try to act helpless after the fact.

• Options
    Mayfield mincing no words about Garrett here. He’s pretty pissed.