As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    So the Packers could have been even better if their dumbass coach got along with their talented but apparently asshole QB?

As a Lions fan, I am so sorry for you Packers fans....

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Bilichick may have finally watched tape on OSU's defense last year because Schiano has stepped down before coaching a down there.

I 100% believe he was being hired for nonDC assistant spot and probably not defensive playcaller. The Pats hire coordinators in-house exclusively and always have a trial year before you are officially coordinator.

Last offseason Schiano was telling writers he was going to be hired as DC but few in Boston took it seriously because we knew Flores was the heir.

None of the beat guys have sources saying he would be DC but McBride at the Globe reported it and it was repeated as fact after like a week. Now as other assistants are being announced he steps down "from my position". He thought he could politic his way into the DC position and when he didn't get it he fucked off.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    So the Packers could have been even better if their dumbass coach got along with their talented but apparently asshole QB?

Honestly most super star QB are going to be assholes you don't get a person who pushes themselves to excel that much and not be a dick. It is a head coaches job to manage that and mccarthy clearly gave up and started phoning it in years ago.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Honestly most super star QB are going to be assholes you don't get a person who pushes themselves to excel that much and not be a dick. It is a head coaches job to manage that and mccarthy clearly gave up and started phoning it in years ago.

I contend that McCarthy has never phoned it in, and he has tried every day of his career. He is that bad of a coach. If he had a QB that wasn't a top 5 of all time the team would have probably had a winless season.

Rodgers has every right to be fucking pissed at him. Not only did McCarthy probably drastically lowered what Rodger's achievements could have been, he brought McCarthy up to a level he had zero right to be at.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It still boggles me that sports turds spent time lamenting that Beav somehow deserved to finish the season.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I'm hovering between

yeah I could see Rodgers doing that

And

I trust nothing Jennings or Finley have to say on the matter

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I don't know how you guys can read that article and come away thinking Rodgers isn't a huge part of the problem. Refusing to throw to guys because they didn't join your mutiny is not team leadership. And refusing to run your coach's stale calls would be all well and good, but his totally genius audibles led to back to back losing seasons.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Oh I absolutely believe he's part of the problem.

I just give some of the details the side eye.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Rodgers is part of the problem. But he's also a super good talent and that mustache its amazing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The XFL has a new way to deal with PATs.
    Appearing on Monday’s #PFTPM, XFL Commissioner Oliver Luck said that touchdowns in the new league will result in the scoring team deciding whether to go for one point, two points, or three points.

The one-point conversion would come not from a kick but from a scrimmage play at the two. Two points would be scored after a successful conversion from the five. And three points would be scored for a successful conversion from the 10.

Luck said that the league considered moving the three-point conversion to the 15, but that the coaches believed defenses would more easily defend the end zone with that much territory to cover.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Rodgers is part of the problem. But he's also a super good talent and that mustache its amazing.

If you pay a guy that much money all the coaching staff has to realize any human is going to start to DIVA and rodgers is legit good enough to earn being a diva. It is a coaches job to keep that under control and focused. When you get a highly skilled QB that is really smart and is losing/has lost respect for his coach then yes shit is going to get toxic.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

If you pay a guy that much money all the coaching staff has to realize any human is going to start to DIVA and rodgers is legit good enough to earn being a diva. It is a coaches job to keep that under control and focused. When you get a highly skilled QB that is really smart and is losing/has lost respect for his coach then yes shit is going to get toxic.

The thing that surprises me, is how surprised people are. Honestly, despite attempts to hide it, can someone name an elite level QB that is NOT a frikkin diva in some way? Or at the least, some massive personality/ego issue?

Tom Brady? If Brady had a lesser coach, I could ABSOLUTELY see this article being about him.
    Ben Roethlisberger? The last couple of years have shown he's a petty little bitch hated by his own lockerroom.
    And the reports about Peyton Manning being a massive control freak aren't exactly hard to find.

Just seems like it's almost a pre-requisite for the position. Couple that with the fact that Rodgers was CLEARLY paired with a deficient coach, and I'd have been more surprised if he wasn't fucked up.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

The thing that surprises me, is how surprised people are. Honestly, despite attempts to hide it, can someone name an elite level QB that is NOT a frikkin diva in some way? Or at the least, some massive personality/ego issue?

Tom Brady? If Brady had a lesser coach, I could ABSOLUTELY see this article being about him.
    Ben Roethlisberger? The last couple of years have shown he's a petty little bitch hated by his own lockerroom.
    And the reports about Peyton Manning being a massive control freak aren't exactly hard to find.

Just seems like it's almost a pre-requisite for the position. Couple that with the fact that Rodgers was CLEARLY paired with a deficient coach, and I'd have been more surprised if he wasn't fucked up.

Shit, Peyton's commercials LEAN IN to him being a control freak.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Russell Wilson signs extension for 4 years, $140 million.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    4 more years behind one of the worst olines, playing for awful coordinators. He'll be lucky to be alive after 2.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    love to waste one of the best QBs in the league on someone who refuses to use him to his full potential

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    love to waste one of the best QBs in the league on someone who refuses to use him to his full potential

"Welp we'll try 2 runs up the middle and a screen play with no blocking, this will assuredly work this time!"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    So four years until the Pats sign Wilson?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

How much money is he really getting?

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Well he's the highest paid player right now.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

How much money is he really getting?

I heard somewhere around $105 million is guaranteed “in case of injury”.

There’s also a $65 million signing bonus, split up over the life of the contract.

I’m ok with it, only because it’s what the market for QBs is. QBs in general are overpaid, but that’s a separate discussion.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Wilson carries more of a burden for his team than any player not named Aaron Rodgers

Good for him

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    He’s gonna have to carry even more now. They won’t be able to afford to get him any help.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    He’s gonna have to carry even more now. They won’t be able to afford to get him any help.

I'm almost awaiting the day a QB negotiates an incredibly high salary and then just says "Or you can pay me X if the rest is guaranteed to go to the offensive line because no seriously guys we do actually need a good offensive line"

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

I'm almost awaiting the day a QB negotiates an incredibly high salary and then just says "Or you can pay me X if the rest is guaranteed to go to the offensive line because no seriously guys we do actually need a good offensive line"

Especially, as @Preacher alluded to earlier, it's under the auspices of "I'd like to survive long enough to finish out my contract, maybe get a second or third contract, and retire with all my organs on the inside, and all my bones and joints unexploded."

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

Especially, as @Preacher alluded to earlier, it's under the auspices of "I'd like to survive long enough to finish out my contract, maybe get a second or third contract, and retire with all my organs on the inside, and all my bones and joints unexploded."

Too bad greed is the ultimate panacea to good judgement. A team that decided winning is more important than money would be unstoppable if enough star athletes signed on.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Could also you know, stop pretending there is some arbitrary yearly dollar amount that the players cant exceed. For vague reasons. Or stop collusion between the teams on who can sign which players.

But yeah, the players. They're the greedy ones.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Could also you know, stop pretending there is some arbitrary yearly dollar amount that the players cant exceed. For vague reasons. Or stop collusion between the teams on who can sign which players.

I wasn't directing my post at just the players, but I can see how it looks that way. The entire system, top to bottom, is rotten because of greed.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

I wasn't directing my post at just the players, but I can see how it looks that way. The entire system, top to bottom, is rotten because of greed.

The problem is that you targeted the players at all. These are individuals who are literally putting their bodies and lives on the line for entertainment - and you're calling them greedy for making sure they get paid for doing so.

It's a bad look, no matter what.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The only obligations that players might have is to a strong union. Other than that its to get as paid as possible before their bodies break down.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    The AAF is officially dead. XFL2, a nation turns its lonely eyes to tou.

• Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The only obligations that players might have is to a strong union. Other than that its to get as paid as possible before their bodies break down.

Greed is good is American dogma, afterall.

What if instead of $120million he gets $100million (which to me is a near criminal ammount of money for any single person to have, but I am an extreme radical in this context) and bunch of players currently making league minimum while probably destroying their bodies more can make a little more?

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    How the fuck did the Dolphins get scheduled against that many playoff teams?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    How the fuck did the Dolphins get scheduled against that many playoff teams?

Uhhhh, NFL schedules are set on a rotating basis and exactly known years in advance save for two games. They just drew some bad divisions this year?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

What if instead of $120million he gets $100million (which to me is a near criminal ammount of money for any single person to have, but I am an extreme radical in this context) and bunch of players currently making league minimum while probably destroying their bodies more can make a little more?

Two things:
    1) Yes that’s a lot of money for one person to possess, but football player is an incredibly dangerous, short-lived career and actually probably a worse career financially than like car salesman for 40% of all NFL players
    2) It’s not any one player’s responsibility to take less when the owners have multiple times more money than is needed to pay the players better

In short, Russell should get his $120mm and there shouldn’t be a cap that prevents the other ~60 dudes from getting their fair share too

Also dozens of other things the league needs to change to help players not be constantly at risk of opioid-addiction, CTE and financial ruin after their playing careers end

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Russell is not the reason some dudes are getting underpaid. It's the owners, full stop.

Comedian Chris Rock once summed it up as thus:
    "Shaq is rich. The white dude who signs his checks is wealthy. It's not on the players to secure any compensation but their own.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Carolina has fun with their schedule announcement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARPTJoDpL_8

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I forgot this was a thing. Many of the teams did something funny like that last year. I'm excited to see what we get this year.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

What if instead of going after the millionaires for that money, go after the billionaire owners who create no value but reap far larger rewards?

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I forgot this was a thing. Many of the teams did something funny like that last year. I'm excited to see what we get this year.

Why?