As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SCOTUS] thread we dreaded updates for because RIP RBG

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    moniker wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Yah I'm with you on this Moniker, I think it's gonna have to be done through the People forcing it on their state legislatures though. Maybe you can some situations where the governor is one party and the leg is different, and they can ram it through, but it's going to be challenging. I think we're all on the same page in regard to whether it's bad for the country - I think the reasoning for fixing it in the SCOTUS is paper-thin though. Ebum's idea has the best shot and that's a tough argument to prevail with.

We can't! Because they're gerrymandered to protect the Republican majority!

Yep. Saying the solution to being disarmed and tied up is to use the knife you lost and range of motion that's now restricted to cut yourself free doesn't really help. And I really don't want to support accelerationism to force the Supreme Court's hand by having my State infringe on voter's rights with bullshit maps. Doing this state by state empowers bad actors in the remaining States that don't reform. Literally. With governmental power. That they are wielding without the social contract of deriving it from the consent of the governed.

So what's your solution? States must draw districts that assume people vote in ways so that....???

What is the remedy here? What would you have the Court do??

spool32 on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Yah I'm with you on this Moniker, I think it's gonna have to be done through the People forcing it on their state legislatures though. Maybe you can some situations where the governor is one party and the leg is different, and they can ram it through, but it's going to be challenging. I think we're all on the same page in regard to whether it's bad for the country - I think the reasoning for fixing it in the SCOTUS is paper-thin though. Ebum's idea has the best shot and that's a tough argument to prevail with.

Yep. Saying the solution to being disarmed and tied up is to use the knife you lost and range of motion that's now restricted to cut yourself free doesn't really help. And I really don't want to support accelerationism to force the Supreme Court's hand by having my State infringe on voter's rights with bullshit maps. Doing this state by state empowers bad actors in the remaining States that don't reform. Literally. With governmental power. That they are wielding without the social contract of deriving it from the consent of the governed.

So what's your solution? States must draw districts that assume people vote in ways so that....???

You say that like there isn’t a way to draw districts fairly

The Court still acknowledges it can fix maps that are racially motivated, why is the difference in intent suddenly impossible to grapple with

Part of this case involved a proposed model for determining when partisan gerrymandering had gone too far

There are reasonable answers to the questions you’re pretending are unsolvable

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Astaereth wrote: »

The Court still acknowledges it can fix maps that are racially motivated, why is the difference in intent suddenly impossible to grapple with

Part of this case involved a proposed model for determining when partisan gerrymandering had gone too far

Yes, but the problem is that there is no directive for the courts to follow. For racial gerrymandering the directive is never to do it. If any indication is found that maps were drawn to disenfranchise minorities then the map is illegal. While difficult to prove (especially given the courts tendency to ignore the obvious), it is relatively straight forward in terms of what should be allowed.

Partisan gerrymandering is different, in that there is no directive from the constitution or from congress on how much is too much. You and I could certainly come up with a test, but who’s to say our test is fairer than the test someone else could come up with? Just because a line should exist somewhere doesn’t mean it should be on the courts to decide where.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »

Yes, but the problem is that there is no directive for the courts to follow. For racial gerrymandering the directive is never to do it. If any indication is found that maps were drawn to disenfranchise minorities then the map is illegal. While difficult to prove (especially given the courts tendency to ignore the obvious), it is relatively straight forward in terms of what should be allowed.

Partisan gerrymandering is different, in that there is no directive from the constitution or from congress on how much is too much. You and I could certainly come up with a test, but who’s to say our test is fairer than the test someone else could come up with? Just because a line should exist somewhere doesn’t mean it should be on the courts to decide where.

The problem is as it stands, the courts are the only ones with the actual power to establish that line, who aren't (until now) the ones actively disenfranchising voters in favor of a single party Republican state.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Man what. I'm pretending they're unsolvable? Come on now.

Racial gerrymandering is a lot easier to fix because being a minority is effectively immutable. How is the SCOTUS supposed to fix political gerrymandering nationally?

spool32 on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Racial gerrymandering is a lot easier to fix because being a minority is effectively immutable. How is the SCOTUS supposed to fix political gerrymandering nationally?

I dunno maybe follow any number of the solutions the lower courts were using before SCOTUS decided to be dipshits?

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Two subsequent elections that fail a Two Sample T-Test, Mean-Median test, and/or Excess Seat test is considered a partisan gerrymander and requires a new Court approved map that doesn't. Numerous Amicus briefs from Poli-Sci academics who know how this works were submitted to suggest strong objective non-partisan solutions.

http://gerrymander.princeton.edu/info/

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I dunno maybe follow any number of the solutions the lower courts were using before SCOTUS decided to be dipshits?

ahem. before half the SCOTUS decided. we all know which half.

• Options

Two subsequent elections that fail a Two Sample T-Test, Mean-Median test, and/or Excess Seat test is considered a partisan gerrymander and requires a new Court approved map that doesn't. Numerous Amicus briefs from Poli-Sci academics who know how this works were submitted to suggest strong objective non-partisan solutions.

Right, so assume that partisanship is a feature, then test for whether there's the correct amount of it. That's... a mess as an idea. Moreover, and more to the point here, what do you expect the SCOTUS to do? The base suggestion that they even can do anything is questionable!

This entire concept seems founded on the idea that voting patterns don't change.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Right, so assume that partisanship is a feature, then test for whether there's the correct amount of it. That's... a mess as an idea. Moreover, and more to the point here, what do you expect the SCOTUS to do? The base suggestion that they even can do anything is questionable!

This entire concept seems founded on the idea that voting patterns don't change.

This feels like you've started from a conclusion and are arguing backward from it not the other way around.

• Options

No, it isn't. The Mean-Median test is entirely neutral about what results 'ought' to be and is dependent upon what they were and how far they diverge. And partisanship is a feature of first past the post winner take all systems. Duverger's Law.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    When 30% of a state elects a party to 70% of the legislature, it is neither impossible to see how that happened nor impossible to combat it. There is no reason to do nothing.

And they didn't do nothing, they did far worse than nothing! Their ruling is a positive push for states to gerrymander in such a way that the majority party robs citizens of their votes.

Your argument against this is that voters take on the the simple task of making sure that they turn out 80% of all voters for their preferred party, so they can gain a 2-seat majority maybe but also haha the election officials are all in the majority party so they're definitely not letting that happen. Simple as that!

To accept both of the premises that you're arguing from, that this is impossible to understand or combat partisan gerrymandering and that this is going to result in voter disenfranchisement, is a pretty good argument to burn down our existing system because it's worthless.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

No, it isn't. The Mean-Median test is entirely neutral about what results 'ought' to be and is dependent upon what they were and how far they diverge. And partisanship is a feature of first past the post winner take all systems. Duverger's Law.

Yeah spool, you are busily arguing the earth is flat here. This is a solved statistical and governmental problem. There is absolutely zero mystery as to whether a map is partisan or not, and numerous ways to draw fair ones. Gerrymandering has become so effective precisely because it is a solved problem. Turn on the gerrymanderer 5000 and it will make you a map which makes you win up to around 10% voter deficit.

If you say there is no way to test for it and to prevent it you are wrong. Theoretically and experimentally and practically. You are utterly and completely wrong. The supreme court, in pretending they have no way to detect or fix it, may as well have said the world is flat or that it rides on a turtle. It's why they shouldn't be the ones to decide what can and can't be done, only what is legal.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Nobody is saying there isn’t math to tell you exactly how gerrymandered you are. It’s a false argument.

What we are saying is that unless you’re arguing it has to be 0 gerrymandering, deciding the appropriate amount of gerrymander is not straight forward.

Which isn’t to say it can’t be done! It totally can. But the courts role is to enforce previously decided rules. Not to make up their own. You don’t fix a failure in legislators by breaking down the system of checks and balances and having the judicial decide to start legislating.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    tbloxham wrote: »

Yeah spool, you are busily arguing the earth is flat here. This is a solved statistical and governmental problem. There is absolutely zero mystery as to whether a map is partisan or not, and numerous ways to draw fair ones. Gerrymandering has become so effective precisely because it is a solved problem. Turn on the gerrymanderer 5000 and it will make you a map which makes you win up to around 10% voter deficit.

If you say there is no way to test for it and to prevent it you are wrong. Theoretically and experimentally and practically. You are utterly and completely wrong. The supreme court, in pretending they have no way to detect or fix it, may as well have said the world is flat or that it rides on a turtle. It's why they shouldn't be the ones to decide what can and can't be done, only what is legal.

Maybe I'm just a moron. Explain where I've gone wrong here:

- using a mean-median test, we discover that districts are politically gerrymandered, so the federal court uses ??? justification to order them changed.
    - they get changed. Meanwhile, people also change their opinions because they're not land features.
    - a vote happens
    - welp, they're all wrong again let's start over

also maybe fill in the question marks because that's the main complaint I have

spool32 on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

- using a mean-median test, we discover that districts are politically gerrymandered, so the federal court uses ??? justification to order them changed.
    - they get changed. Meanwhile, people also change their opinions because they're not land features.
    - a vote happens

One person one vote has been a standard principle at the federal level for decades and more than sufficies as justification.

Your second point is a non sequitor. Fair districts under a statistical test are those that produce results that align with the population. If the opinion of the population changes the results will match it if the districts are fair (there is an implicit assumption that you do not see drastic changes in what part of the population votes each election, but these are borne out by historical data - you don't get 10% from a demographic one time and 90% the next)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

- a vote happens

Then that wouldn't fail the test.

The Constitution.

• Options
    Nobody is saying there isn’t math to tell you exactly how gerrymandered you are. It’s a false argument.

What we are saying is that unless you’re arguing it has to be 0 gerrymandering, deciding the appropriate amount of gerrymander is not straight forward.

Which isn’t to say it can’t be done! It totally can. But the courts role is to enforce previously decided rules. Not to make up their own. You don’t fix a failure in legislators by breaking down the system of checks and balances and having the judicial decide to start legislating.

That's what Case Law is, and it is an inherent part of SCOTUS. Has been since Marbury v Madison made up Judicial Review.

• Options

- a vote happens

The Constitution.

I don't feel like you're being serious here anymore.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

- a vote happens

Districts are set every 10 years

If after 2 years what was pretty fair is now heavily Republican because the electorate or the party or the issues changed, that’s just politics at work

Totally valid shifts in political representation:
    -people changed their minds
    -demographics shifted as people got older or moved or reached voting age or died
    -a party changed its positions or message to try and get more votes

Totally invalid shifts:
    -the district lines changed so that a 50/50 vote went from a 60/40 rep to a 70/40 rep

Like, gerrymandering doesn’t change the composition of a state vote. It is not hard to look at the numbers and say, “In 2008 Democrats got 43% of the vote and 5/12 seats, in 2011 Democrats got 44% of the vote and 2/12 seats.”

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

- a vote happens

One person one vote has been a standard principle at the federal level for decades and more than sufficies as justification.

Your second point is a non sequitor. Fair districts under a statistical test are those that produce results that align with the population. If the opinion of the population changes the results will match it if the districts are fair (there is an implicit assumption that you do not see drastic changes in what part of the population votes each election, but these are borne out by historical data - you don't get 10% from a demographic one time and 90% the next)

One person one vote is indeed a set standard. But everyone is allowed to vote. What isn’t required is that the votes result in proportional representation. That simply was never the intent of the constitution. Are all the voters in a single district who voted for the loser disenfranchised because they are the minority and their votes never result in their preferred representative?

Indeed, first past the post voting always has some amount of inequality. Even completely random maps could have a fair amount difference from proportional voting. So how then to decide how much is too much? That is the question that the constitution or voting laws can not ocurrently answer.

• Options

- a vote happens

The Constitution.

What test? And why is your test more appropriate than my test, which allows marginally more gerrymandering. And how does the requirement for minority-majority districts based on race fit in?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

- a vote happens

Such changes are not an issue. A swapped vote changes the overall state count and so also changes the overall gerrymandering target. So the resulting districts should still be fair. If a swing was large enough and consistent enough as an example it could produce a swing over what you would ideally see. However these effects happen regardless of the fairness of the district. So they are not a particularly huge concern.

More or less it should be impossible (well severely difficult) for gerrymandered districts to arise naturally out of fair districts. In order to do so* people have to move within the state and not simply change their vote. In this respect people are functionally land features. They do not move enough nor in enough coordination in order to have an effect.

If for some reason things do change enough to lopside a state (which again is unlikely) it would be corrected in 10 years.

*it would be theoretically possible for it to happen but not functionally. As in you could conceivably provide a set of vote swaps that do it but this happening organically is essentially probability zero.

Also Note that the most likely result in a “naturally gerrymandered” state is for the winning side to get more seats than they should. This is the result of a huge majority erasing competitive/safe districts for the other side. As a result this is slightly less of a concern since it does not swap control of the legislature.

@spool32

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

- a vote happens

The Constitution.

To jump in:

The reason why people's opinions changing wouldn't fail the test is because it would most likely change how people voted overall and how representation turned out. The test is asking "are these results a significant deviation from the expected representation if we had a popular vote?" If, suddenly, Democrats were convincing to an extra 5% of the population in maps that already passed the test, it is very likely that they would gain ~5% representatives. Small drifts would not cause any issues with redistricting every so often. The only things that would cause the test to fail would be partisan gerrymandering, or large shifts localized within certain districts, which is extremely unlikely in districts that aren't gerrymandered to begin with. You'd need something like e.g. Democratic Districts 3, 4 and 6 all swung hard left and went from 55% to 70% D, while Republican Districts 1, 2, and 5 had no change, which is a really hard scenario to imagine.

The Constitution both requires states to have a Republican form of government, and for people to have equal protection under the laws. It is at least persuasively arguable that partisan gerrymandering serves to negate both of these factors, as it makes the government massively unrepresentative and denies people equal protection under the law. While you might reject this, I find it hard to see how a system that could create a majority of representation out of 25-30% of the vote share meets either of those criteria.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    If you make it an equal protection ruling on the basis of 25% of the vote getting a majority, you're going to create some serious problems for the future when that ruling implies that the 14th Amendment and Article 1 Section 3 come into conflict.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    And still the thread assumes that this will not cut just as harshly against Republicans in Dem dominated states, as it does in Maryland. Certainly this ruling invites California, Illinois, and NY to virtually eliminate Republican representation.

that doesn't make it ok and doesn't help the people the GOP is going to hurt.

I've not claimed it's OK. This tangent has devolved into how the Blue States can fight back though, and reality is that they will not - they will just also gerrymander.

California and New York have districting commissions for 2020. Illinois doesn't, and while we have plenty of corrupt politicians across parties, the Good Government types are almost all Democrats anymore. Because while yes, this is a GooGoo versus Incumbency Power issue that can cut across Parties in theory, in practice it tends to apply more excessively to one Party that has repeatedly attempted to disenfranchise voters while the other promotes universal solutions that may well hamstring itself in the name of improved democracy.

It's true that one party has on balance been more of a dick about this, but nobody's hands are clean in terms of political gerrymandering. That's part of the reasoning behind not making a ruling!

This is some real naked both siding.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    If you make it an equal protection ruling on the basis of 25% of the vote getting a majority, you're going to create some serious problems for the future when that ruling implies that the 14th Amendment and Article 1 Section 3 come into conflict.

How so? Amendments trump the original text, that's the whole point.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

- a vote happens

One person one vote is indeed a set standard. But everyone is allowed to vote. What isn’t required is that the votes result in proportional representation. That simply was never the intent of the constitution.

Are you aware of the history of voting systems prior to Baker and Reynolds? Because that set standard is of a very modern vintage, and goes against your previous point of Courts only enforcing previously decided rulings and not making up their own Law.

• Options
    edited June 2019

- a vote happens

The Constitution.

What test? And why is your test more appropriate than my test, which allows marginally more gerrymandering. And how does the requirement for minority-majority districts based on race fit in?

The tests further up the quote tree that I linked. They're more appropriate because of the objective and nonpartisan statistical standards they entail. And they are fully within the ability to follow the VRA guidelines as evidenced by being able to apply the tests to current VRA compliant maps and have them pass the tests.

moniker on
  • Options

- a vote happens

The Constitution.

I feel like you aren't actually engaging in the points I am bringing. I already answered the ???? question and you subsequently agreed with my point. Suddenly that isn't valid, though? And your hypothetical seems to be confused with regards to the tests I linked to and how they function since you are suggesting a broad shift in vote patterns would invalidate a fair map under Mean-Median when a broad shift in voting patterns alters the Mean-Median by definition.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUS9uvYyn3A

(Spoiled for size)
    tx.png

Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Huh. That's elegant in its simplicity.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Heffling wrote: »
    And still the thread assumes that this will not cut just as harshly against Republicans in Dem dominated states, as it does in Maryland. Certainly this ruling invites California, Illinois, and NY to virtually eliminate Republican representation.

that doesn't make it ok and doesn't help the people the GOP is going to hurt.

I've not claimed it's OK. This tangent has devolved into how the Blue States can fight back though, and reality is that they will not - they will just also gerrymander.

California and New York have districting commissions for 2020. Illinois doesn't, and while we have plenty of corrupt politicians across parties, the Good Government types are almost all Democrats anymore. Because while yes, this is a GooGoo versus Incumbency Power issue that can cut across Parties in theory, in practice it tends to apply more excessively to one Party that has repeatedly attempted to disenfranchise voters while the other promotes universal solutions that may well hamstring itself in the name of improved democracy.

It's true that one party has on balance been more of a dick about this, but nobody's hands are clean in terms of political gerrymandering. That's part of the reasoning behind not making a ruling!

This is some real naked both siding.

Considering we're talking about a ruling that literally considered instances from both fucking sides, and that it's astoundingly easy to find instances of both sides doing political gerrymandering...

...yes, it is.

spool32 on
  • Options
    I am slowly beginning to understand the math here.

• Options

How so? Amendments trump the original text, that's the whole point.

Not really. They're altering the text and making a new document.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

That shortest-splitlined Texas map racially gerrymanders the Austin area.

• Options
    Yeah, any purely algorithmic approach will almost inevitably violate the Voting Rights Act.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

That shortest-splitlined Texas map racially gerrymanders the Austin area.

SCOTUS would tell you that is nobody's business.

Realistically that is the downside of mathematically driven formulas. That we lose the tool to enforce majority minority districts. Which is a price I'm willing to pay but I'm a little leery of pushing for because I'm not minority anything.

Using an algorithmic approach like the shortest line is one of the few ways I see of restoring faith in the "fairness" of the foundation of our electoral process for people of all stripes.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

It also doesnt work. Which is one reason why libertarians like it

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »