As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do I scrub certain videos/ channels from my youtube curation

No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To FearBut Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
I watched something from a co-worker and now I keep getting "right-wing pundit OWNS THE LIBS" videos in my youtube feed, and yeah no. How do I fix this?

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Click on History on the left pane and then hit X next to the videos you want to scrub from your history.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Tried it, we shall see. Thanks a bunch!

• Options
    JustforspiteJustforspite Registered User regular
    There are also 3 vertical dots that will show up if you hover over the bottom right of a recommended video that have a "not interested" option if clicked. It will remove the video from your recommended section, not sure if it influences the algorithm that picks videos for you going forward.

Thanks to @pkkaos for the awesome avatar!
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    It does.

Videos that pop-up in your youtube suggestions can be removed with that three vertical dots method, and eventually, the algorithm just learns that you're no longer interested in that sort of stuff.

Alternatively, you can always sign out of youtube on your existing account, and watch videos like a normal plebe. Or set up a new account for yourself if you find your old youtube account is getting dragged down with too many video topics that you no longer care for.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Click on History on the left pane and then hit X next to the videos you want to scrub from your history.
    Also there is an option to clear your whole history and start from scratch. You can scrub your search history as well.

• Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    I have also caught Jordan Peterson YouTube herpes in the past. There is a Chrome extension that can be helpful called "Video Blocker".

In addition to scrubbing YouTube history, you can temporarily disable YouTube from using your viewing history. It is in the same area where you remove videos from your history.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I love you for making this thread, holy hell my current recommendations list.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    It does.

Videos that pop-up in your youtube suggestions can be removed with that three vertical dots method, and eventually, the algorithm just learns that you're no longer interested in that sort of stuff.

Alternatively, you can always sign out of youtube on your existing account, and watch videos like a normal plebe. Or set up a new account for yourself if you find your old youtube account is getting dragged down with too many video topics that you no longer care for.

One thing I do, if I know a video is going to cause youtube to start suggesting other stupid videos at me, is to open the new video in an incognito window.

• Options
    I have also caught Jordan Peterson YouTube herpes in the past. There is a Chrome extension that can be helpful called "Video Blocker".

Hahahah how did you know it was a Jordan Peterson vid?

Also is there a way to block specific ads? Sorry Ben Shaprio and Adam Carrola, I ain't got no time for your whiney "white people are oppressed" bullshit

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »

Hahahah how did you know it was a Jordan Peterson vid?

Also is there a way to block specific ads? Sorry Ben Shaprio and Adam Carrola, I ain't got no time for your whiney "white people are oppressed" bullshit

Same system allows you to say, "don't show me this ad" and you can indicate why.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    omg thank you people so much holy shit

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2018
    SteevL wrote: »
    It does.

One thing I do, if I know a video is going to cause youtube to start suggesting other stupid videos at me, is to open the new video in an incognito window.

I've just started weighing curiosity against how badly I want to see it garbage up my lists for eternity.

... Honestly it's probably been a boon to my mental health all things considered

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn