As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Christmas Movies [Chat]

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Scrooged was also pretty good.

I liked it a lot as a kid but it didn't really hold up when I watched it a few years ago. Still has some good moments though.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Muppets Christmas Carol is the best Christmas movie. I recognise no poll that does not include the correct answer.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The Ice Harvest
    Elendil wrote: »
    I'm very tired of the Die Hard is a Christmas movie talk

it was clever like 5 years ago

And conan o'brien would know about people not giving a shit based on his ratings.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    actually, this one even has the watermark.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nerlLF2JMZU

For real, though, as a kid, around Christmas time, this channel would air just a LOT of Asterix films, as well as other animated features. Like Princess Mononoke, for instance.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Die Hard
    Jingle All the Way!
    arnold-schwarzenegger-sinbad-jingle-all-the-way-20th-century-fox-110215-638x425.jpg

There was some old movie with nutcracker soldiers that fired cannons or something that was live action but I can't recall any more details. hrm.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Christmas Vacation (the Joke option)
    Bad Santa has both Bernie Mac and John Ritter in their last good comic roles.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Die Hard
    Bogart wrote: »
    Muppets Christmas Carol is the best Christmas movie. I recognise no poll that does not include the correct answer.

Marley and Marley! OoooOOOoooooh!

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    just got the most intense urge to go skiing

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    The Ice Harvest
    Bogart wrote: »

So time for a chatexit as is the custom with your people?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I'm starting a ironic vaporwave off-shoot version of celebrating Christmas.

It's all very self-aware and navel-gazy and just utterly joyless but it is very aesthetic.
    If you make an unironic vaporwave christmas, let me know. I think there's something there.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Nightmare Before Christmas
    Kamiro wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »
    Honestly I just buy a parsley, a cilantro, and a green onion every week. Most weeks I use them, occasionally I end up with liquid parsley in the drawer. Still worth it.

Sometimes I forget I bought parsley/cilantro already and then buy ANOTHER one. And then only end up using part of one and then I have two bags of liquid in my fridge.

:bro:
    It is tough being us

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Umm Actually Christmas is a capitalist expansion of Christian Dogma
    Die Hard is a Halloween movie actually, just like Nightmare Before Christmas

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    I'm very tired of the Die Hard is a Christmas movie talk

it was clever like 5 years ago

And conan o'brien would know about people not giving a shit based on his ratings.

knwt3yn9hjax.jpg

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    I'm starting a ironic vaporwave off-shoot version of celebrating Christmas.

It's all very self-aware and navel-gazy and just utterly joyless but it is very aesthetic.
    If you make an unironic vaporwave christmas, let me know. I think there's something there.

Is that just “last Christmas I gave you my heart” with reverb

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Die Hard
    Die Hard is a Halloween movie actually, just like Nightmare Before Christmas

Now I have a machine gun. Boo. Boo. Boo.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    There's an awful lot of Conans bringing it up on their own to talk about how much they don't want to be talking about it

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I bought Die Hard on blu ray off a friend while she had a moving sale last year. I suppose I should watch it.

• Options
    Love actually is the best

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    That's the thing, "disruption" is an ideology about rapid change with little preparation. That's the explicit motto, right--move fast and break stuff.

I agree that institutions should be audited and constantly pushed to reform and improve, but that's a process that demands rigour, research, expertise, familiarity, cost/benefit analysis, etc. It's a lengthy, neverending process, and trying to shortcut it has nasty long-term consequences

The problem is that institutions necessarily have to exist in an environment where they're competing with these forces of rapid change regardless. I think a major issue with our existing apparatus for putting our foot on the breaks is that it just can't keep up the pace and it's failing us for this reason. The pace has changed, we need people with more knowledge of these fields regulating faster.

I think there's something to be said for the need for more drastic interventions. Sometimes institutions hit dead ends and need to be ripped up and re-planted. Revolutions can become necessary, particularly when we're stuck in these configurations where what ought to be a normalizing process is shredding us in half. Acknowledging that there is significant cost involved in this is vital, but iterating isn't always an option.

do you have an example where iterating isn't an option

i agree it's not an option for like NYC and Boston cabbies, but Uber is also very very bad

it seems like you're excited about technology and so want to accelerate things and are thus tempted to decide things are failing us when in fact it just kind of always sucks you can't improve results by going faster

I mean, our data and security regulations are completely non-existent, net neutrality is dead, no one is lifting a finger against the massive tech trusts, our entire democracy was blind-sided by the advent of internet disinformation, social media platforms are completely unregulated, massive amounts of money has been stolen in cryptocurrency scams and we are being completely and utterly raided by corrupt oligarchs. Meanwhile companies like uber are manipulating existing laws to do things to contractors that were never imagined by the people who wrote them. Our government has no idea what the fuck is coming for it when machine learning reaches the next level of development and the human rights abuses that will inevitably lead to, and the people who realize this is all going on are completely powerless to do anything about it. Our institutions are being absolutely trampled.

I'm not excited about technology, I am horrified of it, and how completely under-prepared our institutions are to defend us from it.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Die Hard
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Jingle All the Way!
    arnold-schwarzenegger-sinbad-jingle-all-the-way-20th-century-fox-110215-638x425.jpg

There was some old movie with nutcracker soldiers that fired cannons or something that was live action but I can't recall any more details. hrm.

jingle all the way

god i remember that movie

tyrannus on
  • Options
    The Ice Harvest

Vish baby please please don't do this.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    There's an awful lot of Conans bringing it up on their own to talk about how much they don't want to be talking about it

it's on the top of the thread

what do you want

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Preacher wrote: »

Vish baby please please don't do this.

Love Christmas is all around me

VishNub on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I don't see the Star Wars Christmas special on there Preach.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Also, the Netflix christmas movie is bad, and you should not watch it.

The one with Kurt Russell?

A whole movie just so he didn't have to shave his Avengers beard.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Its A wonderful Life

For real, though, as a kid, around Christmas time, this channel would air just a LOT of Asterix films, as well as other animated features. Like Princess Mononoke, for instance.
    PO2pAwh.png?1
    ah...hrmm...

and then there's a gag about him getting so scared he turns white? yes i see

CRtIcFG.png

• Options
    The Ice Harvest
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I don't see the Star Wars Christmas special on there Preach.

You also don't see the dresden bombing on there mazzy, I didn't include war crimes for a reason.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    @Preacher

Every now and then I try to go to the link in your signature and I am left disappointed every time

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Its A wonderful Life
    It's a Wonderful Life is the best movie about how you're never going to be able to follow your dreams, followed by Up

wandering on
  • Options
    I also grew up with John Denver the Muppets Christmas.

220px-Denver_and_Muppets_Xmas.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    The Ice Harvest
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Preacher

Every now and then I try to go to the link in your signature and I am left disappointed every time

As was my intention.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    just got the most intense urge to go skiing

I'm getting 'Fish her season's pass for a local skihill as most of her Christmas present :D

• Options
    Its A wonderful Life
    Neco wrote: »
    I bought Die Hard on blu ray off a friend while she had a moving sale last year. I suppose I should watch it.
    it's good to be informed about how wrong the people who say it's the best Christmas movie truly are

some day I plan on watching the Dawn of the Dead remake just so I can be justified when I narrow my eyes at people who say it's better than the original

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it. Please like and subscribe.”

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Die Hard
    i wanna go snowboarding

but vegas tomorrow!!

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Die Hard
    wandering wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    it's good to be informed about how wrong the people who say it's the best Christmas movie truly are

some day I plan on watching the Dawn of the Dead remake just so I can be justified when I narrow my eyes at people who say it's better than the original

??

But the gritty remake is better than the corny original.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Its A wonderful Life
    @matt has a problem

So one of my nephews is fire truck obsessed. And I found him a cardboard playset that is a fire truck. He can sit inside it, there are buttons and a steering wheel. And I got him a siren and lights to go on top. My sister is not pleased.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

PO2pAwh.png?1
    ah...hrmm...

and then there's a gag about him getting so scared he turns white? yes i see

CRtIcFG.png

movie was made by french people in the late 60s.

Now, the depiction of the same character in the live action movies are......... marginally better.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Also, the Netflix christmas movie is bad, and you should not watch it.

The one with Kurt Russell?

A whole movie just so he didn't have to shave his Avengers beard.

It has some of the worst puns I've heard in a while. @Feral would love it.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    I grew up as a hippy in Colorado if my life didn't include an inordinate amount of John Denver something would be wrong.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.