As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Voidship & God Eater 3 out today!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I always thought Raccoon City was a small to midsize town

Nah the City's really too big to be called a town. There's a university there, a bunch of high-tech industry, yeah it's in the Arklay mountains but it's meant to have a population of over 100,000.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Well, had a population.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Well, had a population.

Ha!

And a subway, too!

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    So the umbrella formula was just cheese and gravy all along?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Zombies are really just people with really bad seasonal affective disorder

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

so did capcom until around RE5ish I think?

• Options

Nah the City's really too big to be called a town. There's a university there, a bunch of high-tech industry, yeah it's in the Arklay mountains but it's meant to have a population of over 100,000.

100000 is not that big of a city

it is not downtown montreal big in the very least

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Maybe it will be revealed in Resident Evil 8 that Raccoon City was infected with a new kind of virus that caused the cityscape to mutate over the years

ZOMBIE BUILDINGS

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    It's 100k people packed in real good and tight, big time anti-sprawl initiatives in the city planning

Hobnail on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Maybe Raccoon City is like Springville where it is absurdly large given how it is portrayed as a small town.

• Options
    Is Springville where the Sampsons live?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Bort Sampson of Spangfeeld

• Options
    My name is also Bort.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    I’m looking for some game recommendations. I’m preferably looking for something high fantasy or a similar aesthetic, and I really dislike games with real time pause (like pillars of eternity). Open world is generally not my thing (no skyrim or witcher recs please). Lots of character builds or skill trees are a plus.

I normally like jrpg style games but something like dark messiah of might and magic or what not is good.

Any ideas? I’ve been digging through steam to no success so far. I’ve been Bouncing off a lot of stuff.

Not entirely what you're focused on, but it ticks a lot of boxes so might be worth taking a look at: Total War: Warhammer.

In the game, you have the campaign map where you expand your territory and build you armies (skill trees and equipable items for all your Lords and Heroes, and all your units can level up), and when you get into combat you can either Auto-Resolve the battle or actually fight it out. When fighting it out you can pause the action at any time, but that's optional. You can also put it in slow-motion, fast-forward, or super fast-forward.

The first game has 9 races (four default, one free dlc, four paid dlc) and the second game currently has six (four default, two paid dlc), but the second game lets you use anything you own from the first game so you can currently end up with 15 playable races total. Each race also usually has 2-4 subfactions within it that can play a little differently and have a different start position on the campaign map.

With so many different factions, skill builds, and army compositions you'll probably never have two playthroughs be the same. I've already got nearly 500 hours between the two games.

Granted, it's got a heaping dose of the strategy genre which may not be your jam. I didn't think it would be mine either, though, until I ended up grabbing the first game for $15 during a sale a while back. I found it horribly addicting.

If not that, I'd second Vampyr as one to check out. Here's the first 90 minutes or so for a first-time player (no commentary):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poBY_AzuylY&t=4248s

Also if you can stand MMORPGs, Final Fantasy XIV is the best (in my opinion, as someone who played WoW for over a decade).

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Well FNG looked to be slim pickings with just Pimsy and I tonight but we made it work.

First we tried some rounds of Blast Zone Tournament (currently free to pick up) and it's a pretty solid Bomberman rip off with various game modes and up to 32 players which can be bots (not recommended for your first game which is confusing as hell). Partly to chew up time in case more people wanted to join. Alas no dice and no one else showed up.

Well that didn't stop us from falling flat. Human: Fall Flat that is.

It wanted us to solved puzzles. We said screw that and spider climbed our way to victory.

Pictures!

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

Seriously, Human: Fall Flat is just so dang enjoyable and Pimsy challenged me to think outside the box.

Also you can now wishlist Moving Out!

FNG UPDATE: We will be holding pre-game meetups to decide on games start at 3:30 pm (Pacific Standard Time) in order to hash out and download which games we want to play before the 4pm start time. Please attend if you can!

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    It's 100k people packed in real good and tight, big time anti-sprawl initiatives in the city planning

Probs not a lot of room for sprawl in the Arklay mountains.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    @Tcheldor what about CrossCode? Or you could always do FFXV

I've very very played Cross Code (I've done several no major glitch speed runs of the game). Big fan of it.

Already played FFXV when it came out.
    Peas wrote: »
    I’m looking for some game recommendations. I’m preferably looking for something high fantasy or a similar aesthetic, and I really dislike games with real time pause (like pillars of eternity). Open world is generally not my thing (no skyrim or witcher recs please). Lots of character builds or skill trees are a plus.

I normally like jrpg style games but something like dark messiah of might and magic or what not is good.

Any ideas? I’ve been digging through steam to no success so far. I’ve been Bouncing off a lot of stuff.

Dragon's dogma is open world but it's not that big so it won't be overwhelming and kinda fit most of your criteria

Edit: sorry for double posting

I did Dragon's Dogma when it came out. I fell off the game because I probably did a terrible build and couldn't kill anything, and also I was looking for a story and couldn't seem to find one. A sequel to it would be so nice though. Maybe I should try dark arisen on pc? what improvements does it make?
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I don't know if I'd call Battle Chasers short, it's anywhere from 30-40 good hours, but it's a pretty rad JRPG

I tried this game too. It was a lot of what I wanted, but I actually had major issues with how long and slow every encounter went (and there are so many) that by the time I made it to the dungeon after you have your full party, I was having several minute hard fights each encounter and they just were too much. It's a game that if they had a fast forward button I'd have probably played longer. It was cool though.

Dark Arisen adds a bunch of new stuff like gear and a endgame dungeon as well as making some adjustment to the balance and quality of life. Difficulty wise it's pretty hard to survive at the beginning but you can freely switch between easy and normal in the options and the exp and rewards wouldn't be affected I believe

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @Karoz if my wife and I stop falling asleep putting the kids to bed, I will start jumping into this. .

Last night, even the dog fell asleep

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Karoz if my wife and I stop falling asleep putting the kids to bed, I will start jumping into this. .

Last night, even the dog fell asleep

The more the merrier!

If the game times don't work out, I encourage trying to set up other times just so group gaming happens more regularly.

But I understand that organizing can be a drag.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Yeah the city exploded in size I think aroun RE: Outbreak 1 in terms of how they portrayed it. Looking at the video of it getting nuked in RE 3, and the amount we see in 2, it seems like it’s tallest buildings are like 4-5 stories tall or so. Starting with Outbreak they started adding larger buildings and size to the city skyline.

A comparison to it now is it’s probably closer to save like Rochester, NY in size and city skyline.

never die on
  • Options

Oh yeah well obviously given the widely known geographical nature of the Arklay mountains I guess it was kind of stupid for me to suggest urban sprawl would even be possible you are right

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

It's a big city to me

(I have lived my entire life in a town of 2,500 people so)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    The real question is

will they remake Code Veronica and finally remove Steve?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I heard they're gonna remake it as code steve

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    SHUT IT DOWN

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

It's a big city to me

While I know that barely meets the requirements to be considered a town, that's still basically a village

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The high school I work at has nearly that many people.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    my high school had over 3000 people
    it was not great

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I've got a little bit of an itch to fire up XCOM 2 again lately.

What good mods are on the scene these days? I've played through the game multiple times, so I'm probably gonna try and change things up a bunch gameplay-wise.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »

It's a big city to me

While I know that barely meets the requirements to be considered a town, that's still basically a village

The place nearby with like 50 people is more what I think of when I think of a village.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    My hometown had 1100 people. It's a literal village.

I don't think of it like that, and I doubt many Americans from places of similar size really do either, because in our minds a village is a place with a few cottages and maybe a blacksmith, where you hope that one day the king might pass through and pray that you will not be cursed by a witch.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Village is a bit of a vague term and I think it basically comes down to whether or not a place wants to be called a village. I live in a village of 3,000 but a fishing village in Japan might be 100,000. Which is crazy to me because that's bigger than most places in NZ.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I went to high school in a town of 2400 people, and grew up on a farm twenty miles south of it. You could tell it wasn't a village because it had the one stop light in the county. The county is a land area considerably larger than Delaware. There is an approximate cow-to-human ratio of 14:1, depending on the market and how much rain fell in the previous year. It was a very small place that was very far away from everywhere else. I don't miss much about living there, except that from time to time I find myself starving for stars.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Clearly you were too big for that town, Galactus.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I lived in a town of around 1,200 people and a few years before I was born it had incorporated from a village into a town.

The town sign didn't have a portion of it saying that it was the hometown of a NHL player from the 1970s and that really stands out in Saskatchewan.

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I lived in a town of around 1,200 people and a few years before I was born it had incorporated from a village into a town.

The town sign didn't have a portion of it saying that it was the hometown of a NHL player from the 1970s and that really stands out in Saskatchewan.

could be worse

could be saskatoon

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My city is a little under 300k I think.

Not too big not too small.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    My city is a little under 300k I think.

Not too big not too small.

I actually feel like my town is growing too much and I want to move somewhere smaller. Maybe out in the country completely, if it was possible to ever get good internet there

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

Oh yeah well obviously given the widely known geographical nature of the Arklay mountains I guess it was kind of stupid for me to suggest urban sprawl would even be possible you are right

Good. I appreciate the apology. Try not to let this happen again in future.

(I was agreeing with you!)

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    So Sergey Galyonkin, the creator of Steam Spy and now Director of Publishing Strategy for the Epic Games Store, did a Russian podcast all about the store. A poster on ResetEra translated a bunch of the show: https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-epic-games-store-as-described-by-sergey-galyonkin-steamspy-creator-currently-at-epic.93249/

Some highlights, there's a lot more in the link:
    • According to Sergey's numbers, only 50% of Fortnite PC players have Steam installed, and only 60% of those even regularly use it. This store has a whole different audience.
    • An expansive influencer system is coming/partially in place, based on the same system as Fortnite's influencer system (known as Support-A-Creator), where developers will be able to automatically give games to Epic-approved streamers/youtubers/etc. and through a referral program can give part of their cut to those influencers. Right now it's 5%, and Epic is covering it, but at some point (Epic said 24 months but it's unclear if that meant 24 months after the launch of the EGS or of individual games) the developers will have to take it from their cut of sales.
    • Customer reviews are coming but it will be an opt-in system for developers, with potential systems such as only allowing limited numbers of users to submit reviews and/or a numerical score instead of a like/dislike ratio.
    • Epic paid for Journey to be ported to PC. They will continue to do exclusivity deals.
    • Cloud saves coming next month, achievements by the end of 2019.
    • They want to include modders in their Support-A-Creator system, not selling mods but allowing them to be paid by players.
    • Epic will give devs more info on players/buyers than Steam, and there is a public API coming. Sergey wants someone to make a Steam Spy-equivalent for the EGS. Epic can not disclose sales data but developers can.

Crippl3 on
This discussion has been closed.