As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Voidship & God Eater 3 out today!

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So here's an FYI: If you got a UPlay account, you probably have some of their currency (Club Units). Those will expire next year, so you might want to exchange them for in-game stuff or a 20% discount on the UBI store soon. There's an xmas sale going on, and I think the 20% discount for 100 Club Units stacks with the already applied discounts?

Either way, thought ppl should know.

https://welcome.club.ubisoft.com/units

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    yeah, if you don't set grav traps gathering water and food in the early game suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

I also didn't figure out that I could make and process bleach into drinking water for way too long of a time

because that's something you can do immediately, iirc

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    The desalination base tech is really useful for water too

growing fish in a tank is great but kinda late game; you gotta go somewhere very dangerous to get the plans for it

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    there's a few places you can get the containment tank
    I got mine in one of the cave systems, following the Degasi survivor recordings

by late game it's pretty easy to keep things topped off

hell, you can put a planter on board your cyclops and just grow melons forever

or Bulbo trees

Miss me? Find me on:

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    The thing that made me drop Subnautica, a game I really like and will come back to at some point, was having to check every single locker for the exact thing you needed.

It's less realistic but I'd much rather being able to just pull what I wanted from everything in a space instead of having to look at the fabricator, "Ok, so I need a computer which means I need gold which I think is over here and then I'll need..."

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    The thing that made me drop Subnautica, a game I really like and will come back to at some point, was having to check every single locker for the exact thing you needed.

It's less realistic but I'd much rather being able to just pull what I wanted from everything in a space instead of having to look at the fabricator, "Ok, so I need a computer which means I need gold which I think is over here and then I'll need..."

That definitely could be improved as well, yeah. It's another thing I had a wiki open for most of the time. There's just some basic quality of life stuff I expected and never really got, which has me way, way less interested in that expansion/sequel thing they're working on. Their silly reason not to include a female player model is in the back of my mind still, as well

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Dddouble post

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    So I just had one of the coolest, funniest developments in my current Crusader Kings 2 game I've ever seen

My current Empress had several excellent contenders to be her heir- 2 sons and a daughter. Unfortunately the best of the bunch caught leprosy when he was 14- shortly before he came of age- and not sure what else to do with him I sent him to a monastery to become a monk.

Fast forward 6 years later, and the current Pope (who is one of my vassals) dies and the college of cardinals elects a new pope.... My leper son.

So now my son the leper, who I had discounted from being able to get much achieved in the game, is now the second most powerful person in my empire and all of Europe. Amazing.

Also he started a crusade and specifically requested I join, and gave me a bunch of piety for agreeing to join.

DuoHEpRUUAA7pzd.jpg:large

Make sure you get him a sweet mask

1ce5fe2231a811e003cab1bd172d762d.jpg

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular

I really liked the (partial) justification for all this hassle despite your technologies' ability to adapt.

It's a capitalistic dystopian future that someone would probably make a buck adding those features in but are terrible for making your survival more effective in the meantime.

Mid-late game spoilers
    The recording of the guy sending you the rocket plans to escape the planet was one of the funniest/depressing things about the current state of Subnautica's society.

This guy is about to go on lunch break but he is sending the plans for your rocket which is sort of key to you reaching civilization ever again and he just sounds so nonplussed about it all.

:lol: :sad:

One of my sons in this CK2 game just became Grandmaster of the Knights of Calatrava too

and my heir has won like 20 holy wars in France and fought off the Muslim rulers in Spain like 5 times

this family is incredible

that would be a nice quality of life upgrade

I spent so much damn time figuring out where the fuck I put something

frig, an item storage tracker would be real awesome for any game with inventory management - just let me look at a master list and track where I stored individual items, with nav-points and everything

Miss me? Find me on:

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Poorochondriac
    I have been trying Subnautica, and I think Subnautica might not be my cup of tea

Not an indictment of the game at all, I just can't get into a groove with it. I'm struggling to articulate why, but so far all I've got is, "I can't swim up without looking up" and "I can't read lore without my survival stats running down." These are kinda minor complaints, maybe, but they're making the game feel more a chore than a pleasure

Sit in a chair when reading lore. :)

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm up to 33 days survival in my current Long Dark run. Got a home base set up, good gear. Feeling pretty confident so went exploring into a new region. Fell off a mountain and nearly froze to death trying to sleep it off in a cave, then got mauled by a wolf. Not feeling so confident now.

I'm up to 33 days survival in my current Long Dark run. Got a home base set up, good gear. Feeling pretty confident so went exploring into a new region. Fell off a mountain and nearly froze to death trying to sleep it off in a cave, then got mauled by a wolf. Not feeling so confident now.

what difficulty are you on

because I know the hardest is essentially planet wolf like that Gunshow comic arc

Miss me? Find me on:

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Going through my Wishlist in prep for Thursday.

How is Guacamelee 2? Also how hard is it? I enjoyed the first one, but I'm getting old and prefer a more laid back approach to my gaming.

Also, is PC Resident Evil 7 ever going to get VR support or is that permanently locked to the PS4 version? I've been holding off on buying it because I'm paranoid they may release a separate version later for PC or something and I don't want to buy it twice.

How'd Darksiders III turn out? Steam says Mixed reviews, but for all I know that could be because the lead character is a woman.

I'm also debating if I want to go ahead and buy the first two Dead Rising games or hold out for a potential Collected Edition that Capcom loves to do. I already have them on 360 but I rarely turn on my 360 and who knows how much longer it will function. Still, they are usually on sale for $5 a pop, so I'll probably just go ahead and pick them up this time.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Guacamelee 2 is harder, more Guacamelee 1. It's good but you need to want more of that.

liEt3nH.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Darksiders 3 is fun. Has some problems but I like the move to more of a dark souls-style because i'm fond of those kinds of games. Fury is pretty cool too. As cool as someone can be with hair made of fire, at least.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Aistan wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Anyone intimidated by KSP should go to YouTube and watch Scott Manley's tutorial. You'll be launching space stations in no time.

Or watch Project BEAST at Giant Bomb for what not to do :biggrin:

I dare anyone to purposefully attempt an eyeballed perpendicular intercept pattern and get it as close as they managed to.

Theirs was the kind of stupid that takes work.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    Darksiders 3 is fun. Has some problems but I like the move to more of a dark souls-style because i'm fond of those kinds of games. Fury is pretty cool too. As cool as someone can be with hair made of fire, at least.
    counterpoint I dislike that they borrowed the parts of souls games I disliked without taking the bits I do.
    I found it unfun to play

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Guacamelee 2 is harder, more Guacamelee 1. It's good but you need to want more of that.

I found 1 to be harder, IMO, but I'm mostly thinking of the super hard challenges to get the good ending. 2 didn't leave me wishing I could light the concept of "platforming" on fire, which is how the first game made me feel in spots.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    In the first Guacamelee I did everything but the Inferno challenges on Normal difficulty, and played about half the game on Hard mode if I remember right. I'm pretty sure I unlocked all the costumes.

Some of the challenges were rather urgggh though, and that's not counting the Inferno ones.

Viking wrote: »
    counterpoint I dislike that they borrowed the parts of souls games I disliked without taking the bits I do.
    I found it unfun to play

That's fair. It definitely has problems, but I enjoyed the 23 hours I got out of it.

They did just patch in a different control scheme or combat or something like that I saw, maybe that will help some.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »

because I know the hardest is essentially planet wolf like that Gunshow comic arc

Only Stalker. I will probably give Interloper a try when I die, but I think I prefer rifles existing which they don't in Interloper. Stalker can feel too easy sometimes but it is a decent challenge when you go into the unknown, and definitely punishes you for being dumb (like trying to climb a rope while tired and encumbered which was me yesterday)

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    In the first Guacamelee I did everything but the Inferno challenges on Normal difficulty, and played about half the game on Hard mode if I remember right. I'm pretty sure I unlocked all the costumes.

Some of the challenges were rather urgggh though, and that's not counting the Inferno ones.

There's that one vertical stage in Guacamelee to get the best ending, are there more of those in 2?

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Playing it a bit more I’m a huge fan of how Subnautica handles progression.

In a lot of survival games the only way to find out an area is too difficult for you is when the local fauna kill you. It feels pretty bad to be punished for exploreing.

Subnautica uses depth and the amount of oxygen you can carry to stop you going places unprepared in a really natural feeling way, and accessing a new area because you built a mini sub and are using it as an oxygen waypoint at its maximum depth makes you feel infinitely cleverer that just “has better gun”.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    The autosave in subnautica is every time you enter or leave your lifepod, one of your seabases, or one of your vehicles.

Not for me, at least -- I just double-checked, and: start off in base with no acid mushrooms in inventory, leave base, collect mushrooms, go back into base, leave base, go into lifepod. If I then select 'quit', it warns me 'your last save was 1 minute ago, are you sure', but selecting 'yes I'm sure' and reloading, I'm back to the no-mushroom state.

And if I do the same things and kill it from task manager to replicate the crash I had, it definitely hasn't saved.

There is a mod to do autosave on entering things, but I don't have that installed. And they have a Trello card to do it officially but it's still in the backlog, as far as I can tell.

I had a look at a Subnautica LP because you guys are talking about it. It's really pretty and seems fun but triggers my thalassophobia bad, so I think I need to stick to just watching the LP.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    It's funny how I went from terrified of Sea Reapers to just totally blase.

Once you have the right upgrades you just go "rah you're a big scary monster" *activates electric field*

And I am someone who knows that if I can't see the bottom of a body of water there is a shark/kraken in it.

Karoz on
    The autosave in subnautica is every time you enter or leave your lifepod, one of your seabases, or one of your vehicles.

Not for me, at least -- I just double-checked, and: start off in base with no acid mushrooms in inventory, leave base, collect mushrooms, go back into base, leave base, go into lifepod. If I then select 'quit', it warns me 'your last save was 1 minute ago, are you sure', but selecting 'yes I'm sure' and reloading, I'm back to the no-mushroom state.

And if I do the same things and kill it from task manager to replicate the crash I had, it definitely hasn't saved.

There is a mod to do autosave on entering things, but I don't have that installed. And they have a Trello card to do it officially but it's still in the backlog, as far as I can tell.

that's odd, I very rarely manually saved in the game, I pretty much always just went inside or maybe went in and then left to save

like I think I did like 3 or 4 manual saves total the entire time I played

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

Once you have the right upgrades you just "rah you're a big scary monster" *activates electric field*

And I am someone who knows that if I can't see the bottom of a body of water there is a shark/kraken in it.

I don't think I ever stopped being scared of anything in Subnautica

Especially in deep water

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited December 2018

Once you have the right upgrades you just "rah you're a big scary monster" *activates electric field*

for me it definitely went from "aaaaaaah these are terrifying" to "oh you did NOT just put a hole in my boat you little bastard"

Only Stalker. I will probably give Interloper a try when I die, but I think I prefer rifles existing which they don't in Interloper. Stalker can feel too easy sometimes but it is a decent challenge when you go into the unknown, and definitely punishes you for being dumb (like trying to climb a rope while tired and encumbered which was me yesterday)

I hear those two difficulties are very different beasts

right now I'm waiting for all the story episodes and updates to come out before I really dig into the game

one of the longtime youtube channels I'm subbed to has played a shitload off The Long Dark, hence why I know anything about the game despite barely playing it

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I'm still early on and at the point where I can see the sea bed from the surface pretty much everywhere; I just found a "deep cave with a new biome", got about five seconds beyond open water, and nope'd right back to the top again. I am not sure how many spare batteries/oxygen tanks I need to carry with me, but I _want_ to have an inventory that's completely full of the things.. (or I guess I could hunt down the missing blueprints to start making vehicles)

vehicles are pretty key, but you can definitely stretch out how long you can go without them, especially if you bother with the air pipes

Miss me? Find me on:

for me it definitely went from "aaaaaaah these are terrifying" to "oh you did NOT just put a hole in my boat you little bastard"

I hear those two difficulties are very different beasts

right now I'm waiting for all the story episodes and updates to come out before I really dig into the game

one of the longtime youtube channels I'm subbed to has played a shitload off The Long Dark, hence why I know anything about the game despite barely playing it

The Redux versions of episodes 1 and 2 came out today, along with a few small gameplay updates. I haven't played any of the story stuff yet, I'm thinking I'll wait until they're all out or I'm bored of sandbox.

I have also been watching a lot of a guy who LPs a ton of TLD, he alternates between stalker and interloper and that's what makes me curious to try interloper. I usually blanket avoid the hardest difficulty setting on any game. But I really love the struggle to survive when you first start playing, and now I'm nearly 40 days in I basically only feel properly threatened by wolves, managing my needs is pretty straightforward. I'll try to get the 100 days achievement on this playthrough and then give Interloper a try.

who's the person you watch? I've been watching Splattercat, myself; he just started a "how to interlope" series that he slowly updates

also did you see that spear?! I can't wait until that gets added to sandbox

Miss me? Find me on:

Guy called Hadrian. Found him because he did a series called Survival School which I found useful for learning the mechanics with minimal spoilers. I've been falling asleep to his videos a lot, I find his voice strangely soothing (and he basically never shuts up)

half the reason I watch so much youtube and twitch is because they help me fall asleep

Miss me? Find me on:

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I did not like This War of Mine at all, but Frostpunk is really good. It's the game I wanted Surviving Mars to be: not too fiddly, choices that feel meaningful, and a satisfying end goal for the main scenario. After a period of in game days, the biggest storm in the history of Earth hits you and you have to survive with no new food and your heaters doing little or nothing against the incredible cold. And like half my people died but we made it! Thank you, my dudes, for still going to work in the coal mines when the weather is "coldest temperature ever recorded". My main caveat would be that as a city builder, it is not really an expression of your creativity like Cities Skylines. But it would be weird if it were with the setting, and there are several different story scenarios for you to play through. There's even an endless mode if you really want to tax yourself and your hardware.

when's the last time you've checked surviving mars, btw? because they've changed it a bit from its initial release, for anyone who didn't hear

Miss me? Find me on:

edited December 2018
    Holy crap the nominees for Best Developer are a complete shitshow. Bleeeeeeeeeeeeegh. There's basically only two options.

Aistan on
This discussion has been closed.