Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Original Acq. Incorporated recordings available? (or: Good introductory D&D podcast?)

GamingSnobGamingSnob Registered User regular
Are the recordings of the first sessions of Acquisitions Incorporated still available? They were made ages ago, and I can't remember if they were a PA download, WOTC download, or both.

I ask because my daughter has recently shown interest in playing D&D, and I'm looking for recordings of actual sessions for her to listen to so that she gets an idea of the game. I remember the very first sessions of AI being more light-hearted "pure" D&D sessions.

Failing that, does anyone have recommendations on alternatives? Light language is okay, but I'm more interested in helping her understand the game's mechanics than its social aspects right now: "D&D with friends" as opposed to "Friends playing D&D", so to speak.

Appreciate the help!

• twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    I *think* the acq inc site has the very earliest shows (they're pretty old at least)

http://www.acq-inc.com/portfolio?sort=asc

• John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    The first season of Acq. Inc. from 2008 would be perfect for someone learning to play because Mike is learning as he goes. You might want to listen to them due to language. Each podcast starts with "This podcast features adults using adult language. You have been warned."

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    All of AI is also available in pure audio form on any podcast service (Google music, iTunes, etc.) And on their website :)

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited December 6
    So the first AI series is on 4th edition of dnd, it won't teach your kid much about current rules. I would recommend LoadingReadyRun's campaign called Dice Friends, they start with Tomb of Annihilation and their DM sticks pretty close to the books. They're also pretty PG13, although your daughter will be watching a bunch of folks over 30 play a game, so not sure whether your daughter could stomach that.

Aldo on
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    Episode 1.5 (it’s episode one, they just edited out a bunch of cruft) of Adventure Zone takes care of a lot of the rules as they teach their dad how to play. Definitely has some salty language but it’s all within pg-13 standards, just fairly frequent.

Enc
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion The Land of Flowers (and Dragons)Registered User regular
    Adventure Zone is absolutely the best intro one.

It also is incredibly deep and is being remade as a graphic novel. It also has animated videos of most of the early chapters available throughout the youtubes.

Guns make you stupid. Better to fight your wars with duct tape. Duct tape makes you smart.

I make Encounter Maps for Pathfinder and D&D! Check them out here: https://falleron.com/
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    From what I remember, AI started near the end of 4E; and I thought the original intent was to use the PA/PvP/guests crew to showcase the rules changes for 5e. It's been a while since I listened to those episodes (in fact I think I only just earlier this year finally chucked the CD that had those original episodes on it), so there's a chance they start off with those spell/ability "cards" that WOTC was touting for a while ("we've taken what you need from the sourcebook, so you don't have to go looking! (please pay $Alabama for every card set)").

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    From what I remember, AI started near the end of 4E; and I thought the original intent was to use the PA/PvP/guests crew to showcase the rules changes for 5e. It's been a while since I listened to those episodes (in fact I think I only just earlier this year finally chucked the CD that had those original episodes on it), so there's a chance they start off with those spell/ability "cards" that WOTC was touting for a while ("we've taken what you need from the sourcebook, so you don't have to go looking! (please pay $Alabama for every card set)").

The original AI stuff began with 4E. The group have literally been playing that long: WotC hired PA + Scott to play D&D with Chris to introduce 4E to people. The first AI podcast was before 4E was even released.

Yeah.

Yeah, we be ooooooold folks now.

AldoElvenshae
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    I may have to go back and relisten to the episode where they present their names. Jerry's reaction to Mike revealing Jim's name was so fantastic.

Forar
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    How do the new episodes of AI compare to the original ones?

I listened to the first ones way back when, dropped off after a while, went through/am keeping up with The Adventure Zone, and haven't got back to AI since. With the new ones that show up every so often in newsposts etc, a:I don't recognise most (all? I forget) of the characters, and b:are they only videos these days? That's sort of a blocker, I'm after podcasts so I can listen to them walking around.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Go to http://www.acq-inc.com/portfolio and you can find everything they have published as either a video or podcast.

If a movement doesn't have someone that can sit down opposite those in a position of power and strike a deal, how can that movement achieve success?
    djmitchella