As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2019 Pre-South GAMETACULAR

dragnstephdragnsteph Roseville, MNRegistered User regular
35ms4siqy7nd.png

PREREGISTRATION AVAILABLE HERE

It's almost time for PAX SOUTH and that means it's almost time for the Gametacular!

This year, we'll be gathering to support the Rape Crisis Center. All proceeds from our silent auction will go toward supporting their education programs. TRC representatives will also be at the event so our guests can learn more about their work and ways to support their mission.

The Rape Crisis Center is a 501(c)(3) organization that exists to support all survivors of sexual assault and ensure victims have a responsive medical community, sensitive law enforcement officials, and an active prosecution system. For 40 years, the Rape Crisis Center has been a resource for our community. It is the only sexual assault program in Bexar County, offering client-centered services that seek to empower and promote the safety of survivors, without judgment.

Once again this year we are using "pay-what-you-like" ticketing. This means, if you'd like to support this event financially, just add on a small (or large!) donation when you purchase your Pay-What-You-Like Admission ticket. Any contributions will be used to help fund event costs and will be very much appreciated!

This year our event will be held at the Dave & Busters in the Shops at Rivercenter. Aside from any donation you may make, this event is completely free to attend with a General Admission ticket. We just want to pre-register you to cut down on paperwork at the door. D&B will be offering food and drinks for purchase. Outside food and drinks are not allowed.

SPECIAL REGISTRATION PERKS!

kfwamf931z46.png

We are offering two add-on items with pre-registration - our annual commemorative pin, and a parking pass that will give you discounted parking for the entirety of Thursday at the Rivercenter parking garage. See the ticket listing for details.

PREREGISTRATION AVAILABLE HERE

We are seeking sponsors for this event. If you, your business, or your wealthy aunt is interested in supporting the gaming community in San Antonio and the worthy work of the Rape Crisis Center - please reach out to us at admin@sanerdnight.org.

gwujebxtbbky.png

• Options
    japesterjapester Registered User regular
    Nice! Although I'm probably skipping PAX, I'm always down to bring my latest game acquisition to the pre-PAX event. I can't commit just yet, but I am literally looking at two big boxes full of PitchCar track that were delivered this morning. LOL (It's a sickness!) I might be down to setting up a track at D&B if they have a big enough table.
    :)

• Options
    Tables are standard size and lined up in a row, so there ought to be room - I think that'd be fine as long as we don't run low on seating.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

gwujebxtbbky.png
  • Options
    dragnsteph wrote: »
    Tables are standard size and lined up in a row, so there ought to be room - I think that'd be fine as long as we don't run low on seating.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Cool. So by "standard" I'm thinking 3' wide? I can always adjust on the fly, but I'll try to design a track or two in advance that should fit the table.

I've also got Fireball Island, which is loads of fun, but I'm leery of taking it on the road as bits tend to fly during rowdy games. LOL

I hope I can make it. It's always fun seeing the Nerd Night gang and supporting a good cause while gaming!

• Options
    One more week to sign up to get your parking pass! If everyone who attends chips in just a few dollars we can pay for everything related to the event, meaning more money goes to the Rape Crisis Center. Please consider pre-registering with a small donation to Nerd Night!

http://purplepass.com/gametacular2019

Thanks,
    Stephanie

gwujebxtbbky.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Can you arrive late? I was probably going to wander around the Riverwalk.

• Options
    People come and go during the event. The venues the first couple of years filled to capacity at some point, but I believe the last two years had bigger spaces and didn’t get overly crowded. Arriving early means you get to walk around and peruse games and meet new people. Arriving later might mean observing a particular game and asking to join the next session (I’ve made lasting friends this way). I was teaching Kingdom Death: Monster near the lending library table last year, and I recall groups of friends arriving throughout the night, grabbing a game, and sitting down.

The only scheduled events I can recall are the silent auction and some ongoing door prize giveaways throughout the evening (but that isn’t necessarily done every year).

Whether you arrive early or late, I strongly encourage everyone to circulate and mingle a bit. If a game in progress looks cool, ask about it. Tabletop players are a friendly lot and enjoy talking about games. You never know who you might meet. Last year, I noticed a familiar face quietly wandering through, checking everything out with a friend. I introduced myself and had the great pleasure of chatting with Paul Dean (formerly of Shut Up & Sit Down fame) and Jonathan Ying, designer of Imperial Assault! And way back at the first pre-PAX South, we were crammed into a local hotel bar. There was literally no room to move. Every table was full. I saw a game of Firefly going on and asked if I could observe. They agreed. I was almost sitting in the lap of one player it was so tight. English wasn’t his primary language, so I started helping him with some of the card text. We all got along, and they invited me into the next game they brought out. And the next, and the next. We stayed there till 2AM, having a blast. What’s more—I have continued to meet up and game with two people I met at that table to this very day.
    :D

• Options
    @Krathoon -- it's very much a come and go as you will kind of event, so it's fine to arrive late! We're happy to see you whenever you get there :biggrin:

We will have a silent auction and door prizes this year as well!

-S

gwujebxtbbky.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I feel fairly confident I can make it, so PitchCar is a go! I gave it some thought, and I believe I'll bring Obsession as my back-up. For anybody lurking who is interested in a euro-style, Jane Austen/Downton Abbey themed game, come on by. Obsession was my biggest surprise of 2018, so I'm happy to get the word out. The designer said he got some copies into the PAX library, so it should also be available there. But if anyone wants to take a peek, don't be shy. I can't run both games simultaneously, but people can check out the components. And if PitchCar dies down (or runs out of space), I'll sit down to teach a game of Obsession.

EDIT: Almost forgot. Obsession was on Kickstarter, but don't look there for info. The prototype was created entirely by one first-time designer. And it was ugly. After it funded, some fans stepped forward and helped him out with layout, art, etc. Combined with some component upgrades he paid for himself, the final product is way nicer. BoardGameGeek has plenty of accurate photos. :)

japester on
  • Options
    I went to Buckhorn and ate on the Riverwalk. Watched a duck nip at a woman. Now I am relaxing at the hotel. I may show up.

• Options
    Another great Nerd Night event! Thanks to everyone who came by and tried PitchCar. I felt bad that it took so long for me to get a decent layout set up, but everyone was wonderfully understanding. Many great shots were made (and 10x as many bad shots!). The cheers and jeers throughout the night were loads of fun to share. Have a safe PAX South, and I hope I see some of you again at future events here in town.

• Options
    I couldn't make it. I had to sleep.

• Options
    nbs2nbs2 Registered User regular
    Thanks for bringing Pitch Car. Was more than a bit skeptical at first but had a great time. Glad I was able to keep that red car on the track and hopefully you can bring it again next year!